shape
carat
color
clarity

Toronto Diamond Heist

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

pricescope

Ideal_Rock
Thieves cut steel safes during diamond heist -
"Two large steel safes which housed and protected millions of dollars worth of diamonds were cut open by thieves in what is being called the largest heist of its kind in Canadian history."
also in the Toronto Star:
"Sometime between Saturday evening and Monday morning the robbers cut the telephone lines outside the Gem Star Inc. jewellery store near Finch Ave. W. and Dufferin St., disabling the store’s alarm system, police said yesterday. With no further security systems in place, and no security cameras to capture their images, the crooks were able to enter the store and worked patiently to break into two safes located on the second floor of the building.

Once inside the safes, police said, they were able to make off with a large stash of cut and uncut diamonds."

On a bright side, a New York cabbie returned a bag carrying 31 diamond rings to a passenger who earlier had given him a 30-cent tip on an $11 ride.

Maisie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow!! I am desperate to get my ring but not desperate enough to go and steal them all!!

Thats amazing about the cabbie! I love it when people do the right thing.
1.gif

bosoxbw

Rough_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 8:28:39 AM
Author:Pricescope
With no further security systems in place, and no security cameras to capture their images, the crooks were able to enter the store and worked patiently to break into two safes located on the second floor of the building.

Is anyone else shocked by the shotty security at a place holding millions of dollars worth of anything???

JenStone

Shiny_Rock
Date: 2/8/2007 8:28:39 AM
Author:Pricescope

On a bright side, a New York cabbie returned a bag carrying 31 diamond rings to a passenger who earlier had given him a 30-cent tip on an $11 ride.

I read this story yesterday. I don''t know if the woman was just not paying attention or what, but I do know that most people wouldn''t have bothered returning the bag to someone who only gave a 30-cent tip. The cabbie spent hours looking for this woman, and his rewards for his efforts? A measly $100.

rockzilla

Brilliant_Rock
Yeah, but what would have been the "right" thing to do? Keep them/sell them? I would have felt guilty for the rest of my LIFE.

RZ

rjdodd

Shiny_Rock
It wouldn''t have been right to keep them - but he could have just dumped them on the police or T&L people. Instead he went out of his way to track her down himself - bottom line he''s a good guy.

ILikeBond

Shiny_Rock
One also cannot help but wonder if this woman''s 2% tip was derived from some sort of anti-American nonsense.
38.gif

Adylon

Shiny_Rock
Wow... well maybe it was an inside job .... there's a joke about this one jeweler here in the LA area, I don't know how much truth there is to the story but all the jewelers have heard it... , this guy has had 3 "robberies" where the jeweler was tied up each time, and his safe looted in the early morning... he settled each time with his insurance company for the losses... the police investigator kindly asked them that if there were to get robbed again they should at least use a new rope next time :)

Stone Hunter

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I''d love to see all of those diamonds at one time. I know it''d be overwhelming but both cut and uncut. What a sight.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results