shape
carat
color
clarity

topaz on Ebay - opinions please

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
I am looking for a nice piece of London Blue Topaz to be set into a ring that I have. I think the stone that is currently in the ring setting is approximately 8mm. What do you think of the blue topaz pictured below?
Here is the Ebay auction for it:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=10275&item=4973335184&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

The stone below is in the fancy cut shape that I would like to purchase. What do you think of the quality of this stone? Are there any online dealers that you could recommend?

Thanks!!

ebaylondonblue.jpg

lonewoodminer

Shiny_Rock
Hi
If you can get it for that price or near to it you could not go wrong. The only thing that is resonably common in cheap blue topaz is the use of radaition in the heat treatment often used to enhance the look of the stone. This I was told recently by a very qualified and respected operator in Queensland (retired industrial chemist) that the stone often retains serious amounts of radiation that can leach out of the stone for ages. Sorry to put a negative on the stone but I believe this may be a major problem for a lot of the cheaper end stone out there, good reason to know the source of the product.

Cheers Andrew Lane
www.aussiesapphire.com.au

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
the stone often retains serious amounts of radiation that can leach out of the stone for ages.
i didn''t even think about that.....it makes perfect sense, of course.....but, wow...dangerous!
14.gif

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/9/2005 1:23:12 AM
Author: lonewoodminer
... Sorry to put a negative on the stone but I believe this may be a major problem for a lot of the cheaper end stone out there, good reason to know the source of the product.

Cheers Andrew Lane
Do you mean that this particular London Blue Topaz is cheaper than other London blue topaz and may have a greater chance of leaking radiation? Or do you mean that topaz is relatively cheap and many cheaper stones are irradiated to enhance color, but they all have a great chance of leaking radiation?

If it is the first scenario, than can you recommend places to purchase blue topaz that should hopefully have the least chance of leaking radiation?

thanks for your help!!

lonewoodminer

Shiny_Rock
Do you mean that this particular London Blue Topaz is cheaper than other London blue topaz and may have a greater chance of leaking radiation? Or do you mean that topaz is relatively cheap and many cheaper stones are irradiated to enhance color, but they all have a great chance of leaking radiation?
I am not an expert on topaz or the radiation treatment - the fellow who told me about it was quite adamant about it but and has experiance in the field.

Found this in a google search (link here):
"Several varieties of topaz are typically enhanced. Most common is the combination irradiation/heat treatment that produces blue topaz. For this treatment, colorless topaz is irradiated, turning it brown. The stone is then heat treated, which turns it blue. While the brown color is generally unstable, fading with prolonged exposure to sunlight, the blue color is generally stable under normal wearing conditions.
There are three main flavors. The first, a “sky” blue, is produced by gamma rays (cobalt 60). Deeper “Swiss (a.k.a. ‘windex’) ” and “London” blues are produced by high-energy electrons (cyclotron) or nuclear radiation. In the latter case, the stones must be allowed to cool down to safe levels of radioactivity before being sold. This typically takes a few months to as much as two years. "

I suppose you are relying on the seller keeping it for a safe period before selling the stone and depends on how you define a safe level of radioactivity.

cheers
Andrew

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
THANK YOU so much for the information!!!!!!!

Richard M.

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Andrew and All,

I can''t vouch for other areas of the world but irradiated blue topaz sold in the U.S.A. is completely safe from residual radiation. When this material first came to market in the late 1970s there were a few instances of dangerous stones. The industry became instantly alarmed and pushed through powerful regulations that govern importation and distribution of irradiated gems. Distributors must be licensed by the Nuclear Regulatory Commission which conducts frequent tests of stones being sold. The NRC''s website says danger is virtually nil anyway since any residual radiation from modern processes is gone within seconds or hours anyway, but stones are strictly checked.

In the past 25 years millions of carats of blue topaz have been sold in the U.S. and I''m not aware of a single radiation problem resulting from this stone (I read the trade magazines carefully!) So Buena Girl, don''t be frightened away from a stone you like.

Richard M.

belle

Super_Ideal_Rock
thanks for clearing that up richard! (whew!)

lonewoodminer

Shiny_Rock
Thanks for the Imfo richard,on researching Australia has simalar policies in place.
Although all in the trade are aware of the risks and therefore ensure they only offer safe material some private traders may not be so careful, or just not aware.

I believe its worth asking the supplyer before purchase to be sure,
If they dont seem to be aware of the treatment it should ring alarm bells.

Cheers Andrew Lane

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results