shape
carat
color
clarity

Top Three Craziest Bling Things You’ve Ever Done?

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
The craziest bling-related thing I have ever done was probably letting a very well-respected vendor talk me into melting down a cluster ring for scrap gold. It was an engagement ring that I received fresh out of college, and the relationship fizzled so I returned the ring, only to realize that I liked it and eventually offered to buy it back from him (okay, that was crazy, too!) to wear as a right hand ring, only to discover that of course I never wore it. It is all ancient history, but I think the "bad karma" part of it made it easy for me to agree to melt it down. In hindsight I wish that I had tried to sell her, not that it would have brought much, but perhaps someone else would have gotten some joy from her! I am still kicking myself over that decision. I still have all of the little stones and have absolutely no idea what to do with them...

diamond ring on hand 2.jpg

The second craziest bling thing I have done over the years is to make the rounds from one highly respected vendor to another in my stone purchases, which can certainly get wonky from the standpoint of trade-in opportunities, but nevertheless I made it work! Based on all of the hype, I just felt like I needed to check them all out for myself, just so I wouldn't have lingering doubts or second-guess myself later. Over the last five years I have purchased stones from four highly recommended vendors, which seems kind of silly in hindsight but it did help to clarify the two incredible vendors who have truly earned my loyalty and who will always have my business going forward! So all in all, I'd have to say that this crazy "tour of diamond vendors" has led me to a crazy-good place! :love:

The third craziest bling-related act is future tense, and only hypothetical at this point... but essentially I am considering purchasing one more alternate engagement-style ring. I currently have an Art Deco style engagement ring with a vintage-inspired (but newly cut) OEC which I absolutely adore, and I also have a somewhat smaller MRB ring that is absolutely gorgeous and checks all of my cut, color, and clarity boxes, and is just perfect for travel or for more low-key occasions. So I feel like I have the best of both worlds and I can certainly be content to leave things as they are! Yet I sense a nagging urge to add one more to my collection, either MRB or newly-cut OEC, and I could easily make an argument for either one (or continue to try to talk myself out of this lunacy altogether...). So I think that my current conundrum should qualify as my third craziest bling-related kerfluffle...

With all of that said, I absolutely love this thread! It is cathartic to recount the twists and turns that have occurred along the way, and also reassuring to know that I am in such good company with regard to my bling-related fanaticism! Life is rarely as neat and tidy and logical as we would like it to be, but every step of the journey is instructive, every hurdle and every pothole, and it is all part of the process. I have learned so much about myself through the challenges, and I am learning to embrace every step (and every misstep!) as part of the journey. I have learned a lot about my bling preferences as well, and I have to admit that the bling-related revelations have been a ton of fun!

tinatark

Shiny_Rock
1 Hubby lost my 3 carat engagement ring. It was insured, we replaced it... he is still so remorseful, which leads to #2

Saw a semi mount identical to the lost ring on diamond bistro... delayed buying it... have regretted not getting it ever since (I would have put a cz center in and alternated wearing it)

Sold a T&Co floating heart pendant. It was such a versatile piece!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
I was 18 and had a James Avery ring, a gold band of roses. Went to Ireland on holiday and a tall dark handsome took me out for a picnic in the countryside, where we went swimming in the King’s River, a wild and beautiful County Wicklow freshwater that feeds to Dublin. Lost the ring during the swim. He searched for it until the sun went down.

Ordered another of the same ring for our wedding day. Sold it when we amicably divorced, only because I thought that was what people did.

Then about ten years later I found myself rather wistful, so I ordered it again, this time engraved with a line from Yeats. Then a year later was in a bad situation and sold it along with everything else.

Today I’m continually searching eBay and Poshmark and Etsy to find it again, because it’s a discontinued design, and when the actual Mr Avery died, the company stopped doing custom work. I begged. But no.

When I find it again, I’ll buy it for the 4th time.
A45397C5-261D-469D-B23B-F64D67DD1C9F.jpeg

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was 18 and had a James Avery ring, a gold band of roses. Went to Ireland on holiday and a tall dark handsome took me out for a picnic in the countryside, where we went swimming in the King’s River, a wild and beautiful County Wicklow freshwater that feeds to Dublin. Lost the ring during the swim. He searched for it until the sun went down.

Ordered another of the same ring for our wedding day. Sold it when we amicably divorced, only because I thought that was what people did.

Then about ten years later I found myself rather wistful, so I ordered it again, this time engraved with a line from Yeats. Then a year later was in a bad situation and sold it along with everything else.

Today I’m continually searching eBay and Poshmark and Etsy to find it again, because it’s a discontinued design, and when the actual Mr Avery died, the company stopped doing custom work. I begged. But no.

Oh my..I feel so bad for you. Contact David Klass..He can definitely recreate the ring for you. He is amazing at engraving...Good luck!

PreRaphaelite

Ideal_Rock
Contact David Klass..He can definitely recreate the ring for you. He is amazing at engraving...Good luck!

Thanks for your kind words. If I can find a silver version of the ring, I’m sure he can cast it in gold :) it’s just so silly and kooky to have so many copies of the same ring! But #4 will be lucky. Lol!

Dee*Jay

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sold two pieces for a fraction of what I paid for them because I didn't wear them much... and now I wish I had them both....

Bought a Cartier Roadster that I've worn mayyyyyyybe five times. It sits in my jewelry box right beside the Rolex that I haven't had on in years and years...

Traded my original engagement stone (1.33 ct extremely well cut pear) in the course of one of my upgrades. That stone would have been fabulous bezeled or as a pendant...

Do we get to also list the things we're *thinking* of doing even knowing ahead of time that they are deep into the crazy zone? :cheeky:

Matata

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thrice indulged in instant gratification and bought 3 pieces, only one of which I really liked: 2 carat sapphire ring in a pave setting (thought it was meant to be because it was on "sale" and fit); Simon G band that was too thick for my fingers (I was in heavy denial about finger muffin top); emerald pendant that was waaaaaay more expensive than it should have been (I dunno if I was in some sort of fugue state for that one). I've given all 3 away to family members.

Then, there was the time I was preparing for a meeting at work, quickly checked in on PS to find that GOG had just unveiled their AVC, fell hard for the cut and immediately called Jonathan to buy one then sat all fidgety during the meeting because I knew an email and pics would be waiting for me at the end of the meeting. Still have that stone.

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
These might not be the craziest bling things I‘ve done, but they are what I can think of at the moment-
1- sold a pair of F VS1 ACA bezel set earrings and a 1.5 ct. WF diamond bangle for a lot less than what I paid for them, only to purchase another set of I VS2 ACAs and another diamond bangle( on eBay) a few years later. I should have kept the earrings and just upgraded them to a larger size.
2- returned a butterfly rose gold diamond bracelet to Zina on Etsy. As soon as I returned it I regretted it and tried to purchase it again but she had already sold it. This I regret a lot bc since then I’ve been searching for a similar (think almost exact) copy. I kept thinking Zina would remake it but she never has. I’ve even asked her a few times if she ever made another one to please let me know. I even ordered the VCA sweet Alhambra butterfly bracelet but returned it bc it just didn’t do it for me. Now, I’ve finally found an almost exact replica (for a lot more than the Zina one) in England. I just purchased it last week. I had to have it delivered to someone in London bc they wouldn’t ship it to the US. She inspected it this Friday for me and will be sending it to me next week. I should have just kept the Zina one!!!!
3- My recent upgrade made me feel like Goldilocks. I upgraded my 2.417 to a 3 carat, which I felt was too small. So I upgraded that to a 3.54 which I felt was too colored. Then I upgrade color for a smaller 3.321 which I felt was too included and now I have a 3.098. For now I am happy with it!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I’ve bought and sold so many pieces that I could have bought a nice diamond with the losses alone. lol. No regrets though. I enjoyed all those shinies in their time, including the hunts for the stones and finding the settings.

I once impulsively bought a 2ct+ fancy light brown yellow marquise diamond from a certain someone. Wasn’t even on my list. Total impulsive and still wear and love it regularly!

Right now I seem to be on a “gotta have them all” kick with the August vintage cuts. Luckily in moissy so I’m not going broke. But I have a MRB, and EC, and just bought an asscher and have my eye on an antique cushion. Oy...

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Oh I just thought of something!! I took my ex husband up on a dare to get some bling I wanted by BUNGY JUMPING OFF A BRIDGE!
As I lept of the bridge feeling like I was plunging to my death I thought how crazy am I to put bling happiness before the welfare of my children? What if I die and they're watching?!!!

iluvshinythings

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Oh my. I have so many stories. I'm not usually impulsive and have (with the exception of sparkly things) always made sound financial decisions.

First boo boo - I bought a color change garnet and kept it a year before setting it. Then I went into a jewelry store owned by a friend of my now husband's and bought the first setting I tried on which was a round halo. The cc garnet was a cushion. The setting is glorious and the melee is glowing and gives all kinds of rainbow flashes but I absolutely hated it when I picked the ring up. I hated it more and more the more I wore it. The way it was set was ridiculous. (think square peg in round hole) I tried to get used to it and ignore it but the ick factor never went away. So I took it to a local jeweler and had it set in a timeless white gold setting with tiny split claw prongs and bullets on the side. But I never wear it anymore because they've removed all the incandescent lights and I don't get to enjoy the color change.

Boo Boo #2 - My nearly husband and I were on a cruise. The captain bought us a bottle of wine to make up for the fact that the cruise line lost our luggage. It was really nice wine so we ordered more. Then we went to the on board jewelry store which was advertising colored diamonds on sale. The one I chose was blue, or so I thought at the time, less than 1/2 ct and $4600 which did set off alarm bells. I asked if it was a really diamond and they assured me it was. I asked for their best price and they said they could sell it to me for $2000 so I bought it. We had very happy drunken/diamond sex that night. Then I got home and researched what I had and they failed to disclose that it was HTTP. It was also greenish blue. I was mad and was very insistent that they should take it back, but they wouldn't let me return it unless I booked another cruise and exchanged it on ship. So after listing it on ebay and going through all the low ball offers, I happily accepted $350 to get it out of my life.

Boo Boo #3 - Hubby proposed with an ittty bitty place holder and told me to upgrade at his expense. I thought I'd be responsible with our money when I bought my e-ring. At first I bought a beautiful gray spinel and had it set by BGD in a divine four prong cathedral setting with the most fabulous melee on the band. The I decided I really wanted a diamond so I bought engagement ring #3 (using some of his money and most of mine). It was a little over 1.5 ct OEC, L, VS2 and I had it set in a really expensive intricate platinum setting. I wore it and loved it. Then I got a nice bonus and decided I wanted an AVR. So I bought the AVR (which was about 2 mm bigger than the first) and loved it. Removed the spinel from the BGD setting and set the diamond. It was gorgeous and I loved it. In my mind I wasn't sentimental about any of my e-rings except the one he proposed with and decided to sell the one I liked the least. I still haven't decided and I still own both so I have two diamonds of similar color and size but both are very different and my heart is telling me to sell the first but now my husband has jumped on the sentimental bandwagon and is hesitating. It's also in all our wedding pictures so I feel a little weird about parting with it.

Happy Surprise #4 - I ate ramen noodles every day for lunch for about 7 years. I also stopped getting manicures and got my hair cut by a lady that charges $20. In the process I accumulated enough money to buy a decently large OEC. So I started looking for the one ring to rule them all. I had already bought ab art deco setting that still makes me swoon. It had baguettes and emeralds and held a 9 mm stone (I think I saw it on PS once but it was sold to me by LAD) so I made a list of the specs I wanted and started looking thinking I could continue my ramen noodle diet until I found the one I really wanted. I had the art deco set with a moissy and I have a love/hate relationship with it. I love it in some lighting and don't like it at all in others. I found a diamond one day that made my eyes pop out. It met all my specs, even my degenerate desire for fluorescence. So now I have her, but I set her in a plain solitaire setting and not the fancy art deco setting that helped me decide that I had to have 9mm in the first place.

Now I really want about a 2 ct emerald cut with tapered baguettes on the side. I'm doing keto now so the ramen noodle savings is out, but I'm going to get that ring one of these days. I'm trying very hard not to let my inner diamonds or bust demon get me in trouble again.

(sorry so long and thank you for reading or scanning or whatever you do)

Ally T

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes. Lifelong friends dear Austina. PS means much more to me than bling. And I’m so thrilled you love Bella. And privileged to call you my friend.

@missy I'm beginning to think that my school holidays clashing with your Norwegian friends visiting may have been a blessing. You have form here. Imagine my tight-wad of a husband's face if I arrived home agreeing to rehome one of your massive diamonds :lol:

Last edited:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@missy I'm beginning to think that my school holidays clashing with your Norwegian friends is visiting may have been a blessing. You have form here. Imagine my tight-wad of a husband's face if I arrived home agreeing to rehome one of your massive diamonds :lol:

LOL and Noooooo. You definitely owe me a visit girlfriend. 8) I promise I will be good. :whistle: :devil: :halo:

ETA: Plus I have no diamonds left to rehome. It was just Bea that I parted with for Bubbalah. :bigsmile:
But we can enjoy bling shopping no worries. :cool2: We won't tell your dh. :shhh:

tinatark

Shiny_Rock
I think the most regretful diamond story is of the 2 pear rings Pookarina (old timers, remember Tess?) had... I think one was white gold and one was rose gold. Both masterfully crafted with e/w pears. Somehow she ended up selling them, and one of them was LOST by the USPS! Those things were SO beautiful... and now (okay, I'm judging) one of them on the finger of a mail carrier's girl!

Jacquiemalta

Rough_Rock

Is this it in silver? Of course, I don't know if it's suitable size wise.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/James-Aver...ize-5-5-RS2415-/323752619454?oid=283349472160

ringbling17

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the most regretful diamond story is of the 2 pear rings Pookarina (old timers, remember Tess?) had... I think one was white gold and one was rose gold. Both masterfully crafted with e/w pears. Somehow she ended up selling them, and one of them was LOST by the USPS! Those things were SO beautiful... and now (okay, I'm judging) one of them on the finger of a mail carrier's girl!
I do remember them! I absolutely loved the rose gold one. It was before I owned anything rose gold. That’s sad that she sold both and one got lost!

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
When I was a young Marine stationed in Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, I got into the buying and selling of colored gems as a hobby, that quickly grew into a small briefcase business. I was so naive about how things worked in the world that I frequently sent gems through the post office in padded envelopes with no insurance to a friend of mine in Boise that had his brother offer them around. Not one gem was ever lost in shipping, nor did I even have a clue I was supposed to pay import duties on unset gems. I would quickly learn those things when I returned to the States and started trying to import gems. What a logistical nightmare!

My worst regret is that when my bride and I moved down to start our new life together in Pico Rivera, California. We spent our first night in town at a motel and carefully brought some of our finest pieces of the jewelry I had purchased and made for Resa up to the room. We also carelessly left the second box of our treasures in the trunk of the car.

No, it was not the car that was burgled, it was our room while we were out looking for an apartment to rent. We were devastated. Ironically, the loss led me to get an appraisal on what had not been stolen from a local jeweler. When we saw what our "lesser" treasures were worth, I started to think about becoming a real jeweler. The appraiser told me about the GIA, and two years later when it was time for me to leave the Marine Corps, both Resa and I attended.

THAT is one thing I really have NO REGRETS about!

Wink

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium
When I was a young Marine stationed in Rio de Janeiro, Brasil, I got into the buying and selling of colored gems as a hobby, that quickly grew into a small briefcase business. I was so naive about how things worked in the world that I frequently sent gems through the post office in padded envelopes with no insurance to a friend of mine in Boise that had his brother offer them around. Not one gem was ever lost in shipping, nor did I even have a clue I was supposed to pay import duties on unset gems. I would quickly learn those things when I returned to the States and started trying to import gems. What a logistical nightmare!

My worst regret is that when my bride and I moved down to start our new life together in Pico Rivera, California. We spent our first night in town at a motel and carefully brought some of our finest pieces of the jewelry I had purchased and made for Resa up to the room. We also carelessly left the second box of our treasures in the trunk of the car.

No, it was not the car that was burgled, it was our room while we were out looking for an apartment to rent. We were devastated. Ironically, the loss led me to get an appraisal on what had not been stolen from a local jeweler. When we saw what our "lesser" treasures were worth, I started to think about becoming a real jeweler. The appraiser told me about the GIA, and two years later when it was time for me to leave the Marine Corps, both Resa and I attended.

THAT is one thing I really have NO REGRETS about!

Wink

That's right, you both are GGs, and I think I remember you both passing the 20-stone Gem Identification class final, as did I on the first attempt. Yeah, one of the most stressful exams I had to take, misidentify one specimen and you fail. Some of those garnets were tricky.
Can't wait to see you both soon.

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
Traded in my first ER upgrade ring a 1.60 D SI 1 oval with .90 D VS2 Half moons in a platinum setting to buy a horse that almost killed me three weeks later. A year later go back to buy the ring back and find out they sold the center diamond a month prior. :cry2:
I always felt that if you had a nice horse, you didn't need a diamond. But it has to be a really GOOD horse.

WinkHPD

Ideal_Rock
Trade
That's right, you both are GGs, and I think I remember you both passing the 20-stone Gem Identification class final, as did I on the first attempt. Yeah, one of the most stressful exams I had to take, misidentify one specimen and you fail. Some of those garnets were tricky.
Can't wait to see you both soon.

Actually, I missed a synthetic red spinel with tiny tiny gas bubbles that looked like included crystals to me. During the exam I found what I believed to be a rectangular crystal at high magnification which would be proof of natural origin in a spinel.

After having a beer or two at lunch I was informed that I had missed that diamond and could no longer find the rectangular crystal. I had to do 200 stones correctly in order to retake the test, "in a few days" when you have done the 200 stones.

I went to the checkout station and checked out a box of ten, opened each paper, wrote down the tests I had done a thousand times and the results for each stone. As quickly as I could write them down, I took the box of ten stones back and checked out another. When I was at about a hundred and eighty-five stones or so, the "proctor" who had taken so much pleasure in telling me I had fallen for one of their trick stones came out and watched me actually do the tests on the last fifteen stones, as he thought I must be cheating to complete them so fast... :snooty: (He and I really never did get along too well.)

I came back in the morning and took the twenty stone test and passed the test. A few days later, while looking through my notes, I found where Janice Mack had warned us about that sneaky red spinel. (Janice was a great instructor and I respected her greatly.)

I have many fond memories of our time at the GIA, it was in downtown Santa Monica at that time. I was always glad that I scraped up the extra money to take Resa to the GG course with me, even though she never really used it professionally, it still makes it possible for me to come home and have a conversation with her about work that she has the education to understand and appreciate. We both know things about diamonds and diamond cut grading that were never even thought about back in 1975 when we got our GGs. Some things really do change for the better, and diamond cut understanding is definitely one of those things!

Wink

Diamond Girl 21

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1) I took my 1.50ct, E, VS1, Ideal cut (which I loved) in because the table facet wasn't strait in the setting. My intention was to have that fixed. Somehow I ended up with a 1.77ct, D, VVS2, Ideal cut, and got a whole new setting too. I adore my new ring and diamond, but that was a little crazy.

2) In the past, I would buy the same or similar rings just because the stones were a slightly different shade or the size of the stone was slightly larger...and then I don't wear any of them.

3) I don't wear all of my jewelry, but I love looking at it. Window shopping would be a lot cheaper. Logically I think I should sell some pieces, but I can't seem to make myself do it.:eek2:

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1) I took my 1.50ct, E, VS1, Ideal cut (which I loved) in because the table facet wasn't strait in the setting. My intention was to have that fixed. Somehow I ended up with a 1.77ct, D, VVS2, Ideal cut, and got a whole new setting too. I adore my new ring and diamond, but that was a little crazy.

2) In the past, I would buy the same or similar rings just because the stones were a slightly different shade or the size of the stone was slightly larger...and then I don't wear any of them.

3) I don't wear all of my jewelry, but I love looking at it. Window shopping would be a lot cheaper. Logically I think I should sell some pieces, but I can't seem to make myself do it.:eek2:

I hear ya on #3!!!

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hmm, I made plenty of mistakes pre-PS, but I'll name the ones I can think of since coming here.

1) I bought a 1.6 ct mrb diamond second hand thinking I'd make a 3 stone ring. I kept it maybe a year and just wasn't sure I wanted to do that with a mrb, so I ended up selling it in situation where I paid more commission than I should have. (long story and I no longer use that jeweler) Now I want a mrb pendant. Oh, if I had only saved that stone! It would have been perfect and now I'll end up with a smaller stone and pay full price!!! sad :(( Biggest $$$ mistake!!!

2) I have made more rings than I wear. I actually love jewelry and love the process of making custom pieces, but I lean toward the collector end and that is kind of crazy. I see I am not the only one who has said that! They are too beautiful to sell, so I just plan to give them to daughters and grandaughters.

3) This has nothing to do with buying or selling, but it is THE craziest thing I have done that is jewelry related! A few weeks ago, we went to the beach and on the way home, I looked at my hand and realized I didn't have my wedding set (AVR) on! We own a beach condo with a few friends, so I was able to call the maid from my car and asked her if she had seen my rings! Fortunately for me, she was honest and said she found them on the granite bathroom countertop. I knew I left them there as I was waiting to put them on until I finished packing. The granite made them harder to see, so I missed them when I scanned the master bedroom and bathroom! She put them in a safer place, and I called the friend who was coming in that evening. On Monday, she sent it express overnight to me, so I had my rings back on Tuesday! I really had to face that my rings might have been gone forever, and I thought about the fact that my AVR really is irreplaceable unless I could get Yoram to cut another just like it (which isn't always possible). I was glad that this is the one ring I insure and the reason I do take it on vacation! But I really appreciated it more than ever when I faced the possibility of losing it!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
This has nothing to do with buying or selling, but it is THE craziest thing I have done that is jewelry related! A few weeks ago, we went to the beach and on the way home, I looked at my hand and realized I didn't have my wedding set (AVR) on! We own a beach condo with a few friends, so I was able to call the maid from my car and asked her if she had seen my rings! Fortunately for me, she was honest and said she found them on the granite bathroom countertop. I knew I left them there as I was waiting to put them on until I finished packing. The granite made them harder to see, so I missed them when I scanned the master bedroom and bathroom! She put them in a safer place, and I called the friend who was coming in that evening. On Monday, she sent it express overnight to me, so I had my rings back on Tuesday! I really had to face that my rings might have been gone forever, and I thought about the fact that my AVR really is irreplaceable unless I could get Yoram to cut another just like it (which isn't always possible). I was glad that this is the one ring I insure and the reason I do take it on vacation! But I really appreciated it more than ever when I faced the possibility of losing it!

Oh my goodness @diamondseeker2006, how scary and what a huge relief your rings were found by your honest maid. My heart was in my mouth for you as I was reading the story despite realizing it had a happy ending. Waves of adrenaline rushed through my body reading your experience and it is a huge relief all ended well. :appl:

And it sure does make one appreciate the beautiful bling one has when faced with the possibility of losing it. Another good cure for DSS I guess.::)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results