shape
carat
color
clarity

Top Three Craziest Bling Things You’ve Ever Done?

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine:

3. Not loved my AGS 0 ideal cut D diamond ring (half a carat) because it’s not set PERFECTLY straight and I can’t find a jeweller willing to touch it. They can’t see it or something??!! I do wear this ring often though...

2. Unlike other pieces of jewellery! I’m such a minimalist and Ms. Frugality in so many ways... but I really hoard jewelry. It’s nuts. Some things I’ve never worn out of the house! I have an Elizabeth Taylor heart but I’m more comfortable looking like Elizabeth Bennet when I’m out of the house ;-)

1. Bought a ring. Returned it. BOUGHT IT AGAIN. And I live in across the border from the seller, in Canada.

Because of my crazy shenanigans it is still “on its way” because it is stuck in returns processing but needs to be reshipped to me... what a nightmare, and all my own doing! :loopy:

And I will pay duties twice (and seek reimbursement, but STILL).

Yep! So tell me yours! :twisted2: Have you been a little insane lately? :lol:

Bron357

Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. My most expensive purchase, other than my engagement ring was an Art Deco diamond bracelet. I bought it off eBay before PayPal, before buyer protection. I sent a bank draft for many, many thousands of dollars to a random stranger overseas and waited patiently for my parcel. What was I thinking!
It arrived safely, luckily.
2. I collect ladies vintage watches. I particularly like the 1920s Elgin Watches.
I spotted a beauty on eBay and left my “best bid” (I bid once, my max amount and leave it be. Either I win it or don’t).
Yay, success.
Woo Hoo soon turned to Whoops.
Yep, I’d bought a watch that I already had.
This is what happens when you have 70 watches at home and about 35 at any time in your eBay “watch list” (no pun intended).
3. My Best Buy bling purchase was an antique platinum eternity band set with diamonds sold to me as a Silver ring with marcasites. $3.

Weeivy73

Shiny_Rock
Trade
I feel like in the past I've focused on buying lots of little different things (different eras, stones, styles etc) instead of being patient and sticking to a few really amazing pieces.

Lots of earrings and dainty bracelets, antique right hand rings almost all of which I've sold to help finance my new one ring to rule them all engagement ring. It certainly helped that these little pieces where from my ex husband and I'm not sentimental about selling, but I add it all up and know the hit I've taken in the second hand market and go... Really?!!
I work in an estate jewellery store so I see ALOT OF AMAZING STUFF, but I've learnt my lesson now and wait it out for something more worthy that I can't let go.
The pieces I'm acquiring now are so well thought out and become very sentimental that I'll never need to change these out.

I had a Tiffany notes necklace that I was so enamoured with at the time I wore it to bed and rolled over an smashed my mouth and broke a tooth, nuts!!

I've never done anything super crazy with jewellery, I'm far to cautious for any 'extra' behaviour. I'll leave that to the posh women that come into the store! Like the 20 something year old crazy click who got angry with me when I told her she needed to take her diamond stud earrings out of her ears before they could be valued lol

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Flew across the country to meet up with a fellow bling addict, who I've never met before in my life, and who has now become a lifelong friend. (@missy) :D

Traded in an F, VS1 for a K, VS1, and paid money to do it.

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
1. My most expensive purchase, other than my engagement ring was an Art Deco diamond bracelet. I bought it off eBay before PayPal, before buyer protection. I sent a bank draft for many, many thousands of dollars to a random stranger overseas and waited patiently for my parcel. What was I thinking!
It arrived safely, luckily.
2. I collect ladies vintage watches. I particularly like the 1920s Elgin Watches.
I spotted a beauty on eBay and left my “best bid” (I bid once, my max amount and leave it be. Either I win it or don’t).
Yay, success.
Woo Hoo soon turned to Whoops.
Yep, I’d bought a watch that I already had.
This is what happens when you have 70 watches at home and about 35 at any time in your eBay “watch list” (no pun intended).
3. My Best Buy bling purchase was an antique platinum eternity band set with diamonds sold to me as a Silver ring with marcasites. $3.

OMG #2 !!! I can't stop laughing!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Flew across the country to meet up with a fellow bling addict, who I've never met before in my life, and who has now become a lifelong friend. (@missy) :D

Flying across the country to meet a life long friend is not crazy..It’s so sweet!

carbonfan

Brilliant_Rock
Premium

Based on what I know about @missy and about your current ring, I would have to say that crazy or not, those were both amazingly fantastic choices!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

One of the best things I’ve been so fortunate to get from PS is finding a lifelong friend in you too @LLJsmom. I love you and your whole family as does Greg.

Traded a GVS MRB for a JVS OEC. Oh wait a minute that’s not crazy.

Dream friend
Dream OEC
=
Completely wonderful

cflutist

Ideal_Rock
Premium

I always wondered why you did that.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lets just say I have many... and one that I'm in process of listing, because I fell in love with the ring over 7 years ago and finally bought it this year a designer piece paid full price (actually the price went up by $500) after only seen it in person and tried it on once, only to find out that I'ved moved on:confused2:

ETA: another one that sticks out is me buying way too many of the same type of channel set eternity bands trying to find just the right diamond size overall width/height/comfort... found one, loved it, but sold it as it was smidge too small for me. But its a never ending cycle of purchasing full eternity channel set band as well as outgrowing them... on the plus side 9 out of 10 bands were bought pre-loved so I don't lose too much if I have to sell it.

btw: your #1 sounds like one I've probably done but I've had too many of these to remember which ones..

oh and lastly, reset, reset, reset, only to then sell the piece.

Last edited:

DiamondGal28

Rough_Rock
Traded in my first ER upgrade ring a 1.60 D SI 1 oval with .90 D VS2 Half moons in a platinum setting to buy a horse that almost killed me three weeks later. A year later go back to buy the ring back and find out they sold the center diamond a month prior. :cry2:

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it’s crazy that I’ve amassed quite a collection of pieces and that if I had just saved that money, I could easily have one ring to rule them all....I don’t want to even to describe the 4 C’s it would hit..
Then again, maybe I would consider it crazy to tie up so many funds in one ring...
I think my answer qualifies as 3...lol

Daisys and Diamonds

Super_Ideal_Rock

that is awsome
sometimes you just gotta trust people
i flew from NZ to Canada to go see Bruce Springsteen in Moncton with my American friend (platonic male friend) i had never met
...thats not a jewlery comparison though

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Oh lordy - where to start......

Settings that lasted a week before being trashed because what seemed like a great design at the time turned out to totally suck when on my hand.

Bought a GORGEOUS 5+ ct OEC - only to decide it 'wasn't me'. Looking back - IT WAS ME!! - I just didn't know it at the time. One of the most beautifully cut OECs I've ever seen and very warm at S/T color - with a hint of lime green. I kid you not - LIME GREEN, for pete's sake!!

Lastly - am planning to pay a nutty amount next year to go from a VS2 to a VS1 and up 16 points / .15mm in diameter. It's a mind thing....

Here's a couple of photos of the 5+ ct (5.3ct? - something around there) OEC in a place-holder setting. :cry2:

IMG_2256 copy.JPG

IMG_2268.JPG

Last edited:

Wanaka

Rough_Rock
Premium
Here's a couple of photos of the 5+ ct (5.3ct? - something around there) OEC in a place-holder setting. :cry2:

IMG_2256 copy.JPG

IMG_2268.JPG
:eek2: Where in the world did you get that from, that lime green is mmmmmmmmmmm!!! :lickout:

Last edited:

RunningwithScissors

Ideal_Rock
What an interesting color! Looks lovely. I've never seen a diamond with anything close to that color before.

Austina

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Flew across the ocean to meet a fellow PSer, and ended up buying Bella from her. :lol:

OK, so technically I wasn’t just flying across the ocean to meet @missy, but I never in a million years thought that meeting would not only be the start of what I hope is a lifelong friendship, but also result in me owing the most beautiful ring I’ve ever seen. :love:

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Flew across the ocean to meet a fellow PSer, and ended up buying Bella from her. :lol:

OK, so technically I wasn’t just flying across the ocean to meet @missy, but I never in a million years thought that meeting would not only be the start of what I hope is a lifelong friendship, but also result in me owing the most beautiful ring I’ve ever seen. :love:

Yes. Lifelong friends dear Austina. PS means much more to me than bling. And I’m so thrilled you love Bella. And privileged to call you my friend.

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
There are so many things I’ve done that are crazy..it would be a book. My latest is I’m resetting my diamond..yet again..trying to get the look I want..This is reset number three..a cast setting which wasn’t cheap. The last reset is in the works now if you read my latest thread...I asked David to melt the latest $5k setting. I said okay to $120! Am I crazy? I must be. @nala and @SimoneDi just made me realize I was making a mistake..I already told David okay..so I’m not sure if it’s in the melter now...I could have set it with an aquamarine which is my grandson’s birthday..or really anything...Fingers and toes crossed I saved it in time...:eek2:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Settings that lasted a week before being trashed because what seemed like a great design at the time turned out to totally suck when on my hand.

Bought a GORGEOUS 5+ ct OEC - only to decide it 'wasn't me'. Looking back - IT WAS ME!! - I just didn't know it at the time. One of the most beautifully cut OECs I've ever seen and very warm at S/T color - with a hint of lime green. I kid you not - LIME GREEN, for pete's sake!!

Lastly - am planning to pay a nutty amount next year to go from a VS2 to a VS1 and up 16 points / .15mm in diameter. It's a mind thing....

IMG_2256 copy.JPG

IMG_2268.JPG

@mrs-b, I think I know what you are referring to - would love to hear out your mind thing as I think mine sort of works the same way!!

The OEC was beautiful but. . . I love your white diamonds better. . .just sayin'!

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b, I think I know what you are referring to - would love to hear out your mind thing as I think mine sort of works the same way!!

The OEC was beautiful but. . . I love your white diamonds better. . .just sayin'!

Hi MGR! :wavey:

The thing is - I want an extraordinary ring. If I'm paying what I've already paid, and after decades of collecting jewelry, I want something WHITE, and CLEAN. These things mean something to me - even if they're not visible to the naked eye. I have one ring that I call my premier ring - my main purchase - the big kahuna - and I want it as close to perfect as I can get. So I want colorless, and very clean. Currently my sides are G SI1. I want to pump those to F VS1 so all three stones match, so I know I'm wearing something extraordinary.

I really don't care what other people think of my jewelry and I don't care if they notice it or not. I stopped caring after the first 100k (jk) and realized - I do this because I like it - no other reason. My 3 stone isn't just to look pretty - it's meant to represent a lifetime of collecting beautiful jewelry and working to this one point. If I have to plonk down another 20k, I could probably buy - for not much more - a 4 ct H VS2 stone. But the thing is, I love my F colored stone! I love that it's blindingly white and truly unusual. And I can see marks in it when I take macro photos - and I don't want to! So I want to go up to VS1, and I want to do the same with the sides. I will then have roughly 4.5ctw of perfectly cut, beautifully set, white, pristine diamonds, and it will represent my commitment to beauty and uniqueness and to having 'something special'.

I've tossed around the idea of going larger, and I might one day, I suppose. But I think I'll stay at the F VS1 level; I've learnt that once you go there, you can't go back down.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just a little mildly wacky...drove about an hour to an airport to meet a PSer on vacation to see a stone. While the stone was beautiful, I thought I wanted
bigger at the time. It was fun meeting up with another PSer. I think we could have talked for hours about stones but alas, she had a flight to make.

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi MGR! :wavey:

The thing is - I want an extraordinary ring. If I'm paying what I've already paid, and after decades of collecting jewelry, I want something WHITE, and CLEAN. These things mean something to me - even if they're not visible to the naked eye. I have one ring that I call my premier ring - my main purchase - the big kahuna - and I want it as close to perfect as I can get. So I want colorless, and very clean. Currently my sides are G SI1. I want to pump those to F VS1 so all three stones match, so I know I'm wearing something extraordinary.

I really don't care what other people think of my jewelry and I don't care if they notice it or not. I stopped caring after the first 100k (jk) and realized - I do this because I like it - no other reason. My 3 stone isn't just to look pretty - it's meant to represent a lifetime of collecting beautiful jewelry and working to this one point. If I have to plonk down another 20k, I could probably buy - for not much more - a 4 ct H VS2 stone. But the thing is, I love my F colored stone! I love that it's blindingly white and truly unusual. And I can see marks in it when I take macro photos - and I don't want to! So I want to go up to VS1, and I want to do the same with the sides. I will then have roughly 4.5ctw of perfectly cut, beautifully set, white, pristine diamonds, and it will represent my commitment to beauty and uniqueness and to having 'something special'.

I've tossed around the idea of going larger, and I might one day, I suppose. But I think I'll stay at the F VS1 level; I've learnt that once you go there, you can't go back down.

@mrs-b, I honestly thought you were talking about upgrading the center stone to one that is there but didn't think about the side stones. You won't get any argument from me - I am the queen of tweaking! It drives my husband batty to upgrade something in quality vs size but I totally get what you mean. He wants to see something visually for the money (so larger) but I see it visually in clean and pristine. You have to have a true love of all things pure and beautiful to understand this concept I think. You also have to be focused on a piece of jewelry to get it - something few people other than PSers understand.

I hope you get exactly what you want and I will be cheering you on from the sidelines! I too buy things that satisfy me - not the crowd - and I'm willing to pay for it to boot just as you are. I can't think of a single thing that I have purchased - jewelry or otherwise - that I regretted by going for quality. Could I have done it less expensively and had basically the same look? Probably but in my heart I know what I want and realize that there is a premium for doing so. You only live once so go for the glory!!

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The main one is returning rings I got great deals on. I stupidly talked myself out of them. Can't get them back anymore.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium

IMG_2256 copy.JPG

IMG_2268.JPG
Such an interesting color! I remember you mentioned this stone to me and how unique it was. Wow.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
@mrs-b, I honestly thought you were talking about upgrading the center stone to one that is there but didn't think about the side stones. You won't get any argument from me - I am the queen of tweaking! It drives my husband batty to upgrade something in quality vs size but I totally get what you mean. He wants to see something visually for the money (so larger) but I see it visually in clean and pristine. You have to have a true love of all things pure and beautiful to understand this concept I think. You also have to be focused on a piece of jewelry to get it - something few people other than PSers understand.

I hope you get exactly what you want and I will be cheering you on from the sidelines! I too buy things that satisfy me - not the crowd - and I'm willing to pay for it to boot just as you are. I can't think of a single thing that I have purchased - jewelry or otherwise - that I regretted by going for quality. Could I have done it less expensively and had basically the same look? Probably but in my heart I know what I want and realize that there is a premium for doing so. You only live once so go for the glory!!

Exactly. This exactly.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
:eek2: Where in the world did you get that from, that lime green is mmmmmmmmmmm!!! :lickout:

Hi @Wanaka -

In real life, the green tint was very slight - but it was there nonetheless. The strongest tint was a very pale yellow, but it was a true yellow (no brown), so, combined with the very slight green overtone, came up lime. It was only obvious from the side, but the stone was so large, you always DID see the side, as well as the top.

The diamond was from GOG, but I believe it was on consignment from someone else. I never knew who. Ultimately, the stone was re-cut into a 4-something ct AVR and the color dropped to an O, as smaller size led to less intensity of tint, I presume.

If I had had ANY SENSE AT ALL, I should have asked Yoram to cut me a suite of whitest-possible OECs, and had it set by someone like Caysie or Cicada Jewelry Design. It seriously would have been a ring for the ages.

But you don't know what you don't know at the time you don't know it. Bummer.

Bonfire

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi @Wanaka -

In real life, the green tint was very slight - but it was there nonetheless. The strongest tint was a very pale yellow, but it was a true yellow (no brown), so, combined with the very slight green overtone, came up lime. It was only obvious from the side, but the stone was so large, you always DID see the side, as well as the top.

The diamond was from GOG, but I believe it was on consignment from someone else. I never knew who. Ultimately, the stone was re-cut into a 4-something ct AVR and the color dropped to an O, as smaller size led to less intensity of tint, I presume.

If I had had ANY SENSE AT ALL, I should have asked Yoram to cut me a suite of whitest-possible OECs, and had it set by someone like Caysie or Cicada Jewelry Design. It seriously would have been a ring for the ages.

But you don't know what you don't know at the time you don't know it. Bummer.
Interesting backstory. I guess it’s impossible to predict our future selves! ;)2

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results