shape
carat
color
clarity

Top ten baby names of the decade and this year

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/23/2009 10:02:25 PM
Author: Bella_mezzo
Tacori, Just wanted to say I
30.gif
your daughter''s name. From the other threads, it sounds like she definitely keeps you on your toes
2.gif

Thanks so much. It feels like such a compliment when people say that b/c I thought there was a lot of pressure naming a person. Haha. Girl names were tough for us to agree on so it was dumb luck my DH agreed. We call her Tessa most of the time but sometimes Tess or Tessie. She is a challenge for sure but she is a sweet, very smart little girl.

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
One of the big hospitals near here had in the paper that Aiden and Olivia were the top names there for the year. The most unusual for boys were Cadilac, John Wayne, Thunder, Maverick and Wisdom. Girls were Echo, Paisley, Sapphire (hehehe), Starrie and Miracle.

lover in athens

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/22/2009 12:35:11 PM
Author: Mara
this is one of our big problems with naming our gestating child. we both like jacob/jake but thank to twilight it has found even CRAZIER popularity, even though it has been in top 10 for years. since i don''t want our kid to be one of 20 in his class so i don''t think we''re going that route.

Mara:
We also LOVED the name Jacob, but were worried about our son being one of 20 Jakes in his classroom as well (not to mention the fact that our last name starts with a J and is also only one syllable so Jake J___ sounds HORRIBLE). We decided to just go with it, and call him COBY instead of Jake for a nickname. Haven''t met another one yet!!

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I read Freakonomics and the chapter on names was actually pretty interesting and kind of hilarious.

There was one anecdote, where a some mother was ranting about how nobody pronounced her daughter''s name right. It was supposed to be pronounced "Sha-teed", but it was spelled...yeah, you guessed it, "Sh*thead".

zoebartlett

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/25/2009 5:27:57 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
I read Freakonomics and the chapter on names was actually pretty interesting and kind of hilarious.

There was one anecdote, where a some mother was ranting about how nobody pronounced her daughter''s name right. It was supposed to be pronounced ''Sha-teed'', but it was spelled...yeah, you guessed it, ''Sh*thead''.

That''s really funny!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
LIA i never thought of Coby as a nickname for Jacob, I like it! One of the names I just love is Julian and my hub isn''t as keen on it since he says no good nicknames, but I was like what about Ian. I love both those names.

E B

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/25/2009 8:05:31 PM
LIA i never thought of Coby as a nickname for Jacob, I like it! One of the names I just love is Julian and my hub isn''t as keen on it since he says no good nicknames, but I was like what about Ian. I love both those names.

Ian''s a really nice name (and I like that it''s easy to spell if you''re familiar with the name!). Apparently, it''s the Scottish version of John.

cara

Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/22/2009 8:03:19 PM
Author: Tacori E-ring
Kimberly interesting links! I will post them here to compare. Here is the list from the Parent''s article (predicts top names for 2019)

GIRLS
1. Lila
2. Peyton
3. Lucy
4. Violet
5. Aubrey
6. Amelia
7. Piper
8. Ruby
9. Juliet
10. Harper

BOYS
1. Miles
2. Rowan
3. Lincoln
4. Eli
5. Jude
6. Cooper
7. Wyatt
8. Ryder
9. Lucas
10. Henry

Here is the list from Freakonomics (predicts top names for 2015)

BOYS
Aidan
Aldo
Anderson
Ansel
Asher
Beckett
Bennett
Carter
Cooper
Finnegan
Flannery
Harper
Jackson
Johan
Keyon
Liam
Maximilian
McGregor
Oliver
Reagan
Sander
Sumner
Will

GIRLS

Annika
Ansley
Ava
Avery
Aviva
Clementine
Eleanora
Ella
Emma
Fiona
Grace
Isabel
Kate
Lara
Linden
Maeve
Marie-Claire
Maya
Philippa
Phoebe
Quinn
Sophie
Waverly

Thanks for posting these Tacori! Just thought I''d mention that Laura Wittenberg, who came up with the first two lists, was trying to predict 10 popular names in 2019 that are outside the current top 40 names - so up and comers basically. I really like her babynamewizard posts, for their slightly nerdy bent.

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/24/2009 11:20:52 AM
Author: lover in athens
Date: 12/22/2009 12:35:11 PM
this is one of our big problems with naming our gestating child. we both like jacob/jake but thank to twilight it has found even CRAZIER popularity, even though it has been in top 10 for years. since i don''t want our kid to be one of 20 in his class so i don''t think we''re going that route.

Mara:
We also LOVED the name Jacob, but were worried about our son being one of 20 Jakes in his classroom as well (not to mention the fact that our last name starts with a J and is also only one syllable so Jake J___ sounds HORRIBLE). We decided to just go with it, and call him COBY instead of Jake for a nickname. Haven''t met another one yet!!

I like Coby as a nickname for Jacob.
I know a Jacob who has been called Joby his entire life. I really like that nickname for Jacob, too, although he''s the only Joby I know.

mrssalvo

Super_Ideal_Rock
that is too funny. when we chose my daughters name It was no where on any list. Now both my girls names made the top 10 for 2009. At least they will be a few years ahead so hopefully they will remain the only one's in there class with their names thus far. My son is Jake, just Jake, not Jacob and although it's popular there are no Jake's/Jacob's in is pre-school class or nursery classes at the gym. I do expect him to run into another Jake or even a bunch of Jake's at some point and was okay with that b/c that was really the only name I wanted for my boy!

ETA: just saw that my oldest daughter who is 16 made the list for 2009 as well. so all 3 of my girls have a name that made it in the most popular 2009..crazy!

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
This is interesting- found a website that purports to tell you the most popular names for your state, city, even hospital:

http://www.our365.com/Wisdom/BabyNameScape/default.aspx

Also, along the same lines as Laura Wattenberg''s list, here is a prediction from the Nameberry girls for top names in 2020. I don''t actually think these will be the most popular, but Nameberry isn''t about the SS list, but about top names for a certain type of namer.

http://nameberry.com/blog/2009/12/28/the-top-baby-names-of-2020/?utm_source=Fresh+Delivery&utm_campaign=cdb4b25175-FRESH_DELIVERY&utm_medium=email

taovandel

Brilliant_Rock
China---thanks for the regional/hospital list. It was fun to look at....Evan''s name was finally on a list there! The name is number 5 for the hospital he was born at.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting, isn''t it??? I looked at the names in my state, and then the three major cities, and then at the hospital where O was born. Most of the names were the same, except one of the top ten names at my hospital was Khloe, with a K. Makes me wonder how many people at that hospital were watching Keeping Up With the Kardashians!!!!

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2009 11:19:38 AM
Author: ChinaCat
This is interesting- found a website that purports to tell you the most popular names for your state, city, even hospital:

Also, along the same lines as Laura Wattenberg''s list, here is a prediction from the Nameberry girls for top names in 2020. I don''t actually think these will be the most popular, but Nameberry isn''t about the SS list, but about top names for a certain type of namer.

http://nameberry.com/blog/2009/12/28/the-top-baby-names-of-2020/?utm_source=Fresh+Delivery&utm_campaign=cdb4b25175-FRESH_DELIVERY&utm_medium=email

What a great find! I am having fun looking at the lists. Thanks.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Tacori- It is fun. Especially since when I was picking names, I didn''t really care if it was on some popular list as long as there weren''t a million Olivers that we knew or would be in school with O.

And FWIW, Tessa is still one of my all time fave girl names. Ya did good!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh I like Joby as a nickname for Jacob, that is cute!!

I remember one of the Victoria Andrews flowers in the attic books had a name where the nickname was Jory. I don''t remember what the main name was but I always thought that was a cute nickname for a boy. Not when he''s older so much I guess tho!

We are thinking more about Julian but then I have NO idea on a middle name. It''s such a ''distinguished'' first name, it''s hard to pair, and our last name is like a first name too, so it sounds a little weird when you add a third name in.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Mara- What about a family name or your maiden name? Anyway to "break up" the three first names issue? I like Julian, very old world and distinguished to me. Besides, then you could NN him JUDE, which is one of my all time favorites, and was one of our almost names for our kid.
30.gif

musey

Super_Ideal_Rock
SWEET - none of our faves are on any of those lists! His top choices for each gender are in the top 100, though. My boy''s name is, but my fave girl''s name is nowhere to be found in the top 1000...

packrat

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trapper''s not in the top 1000 for the last 9 years according to the SSA. London however, went from 700+ in 2003 when she was born to 150+ last year.

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
My top boy name is Henry, so I was disappointed to see it as number 10 in that predicted list for 2019! I sure hope it doesn''t climb that much! Growing up with a very common name, I don''t want to pick anything in the top 10 (or 20 if I can help it).

Unfortunately, I love lots of the girl names in the top 10 and 20 (now and predicted)
7.gif
. I might have a hard time following my own rule and picking something further down the list.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
that list about what is popular locally is great!!

SO funny... because Julian is hugely popular where I am apparently, in the top 5 of 3 local hospitals, WHO KNEW?? I literally know 3 Julian''s..one is an adult, one is a baby (From my coworker) and one is 10 years old. So where are all these other baby Julians going?? I haven''t met one other than my coworker''s.

and Jacob is not common AT ALL here apparently. It is in S. CA but not N. CA. sooo...wow! really surprising.

re: family names...we don''t have any that we''d like to use, we both like Greg''s uncle''s name (Leon) but we can''t use an uncle name when we have perfectly good DAD names that we don''t want to use hahaa.

Tacori E-ring

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/29/2009 4:39:38 PM
Tacori- It is fun. Especially since when I was picking names, I didn''t really care if it was on some popular list as long as there weren''t a million Olivers that we knew or would be in school with O.

And FWIW, Tessa is still one of my all time fave girl names. Ya did good!

Awww...thanks! I really like the name Oliver. It is one of the grown-up names that are so cute on little boys (like Henry).

Blenheim

Ideal_Rock
Mara, I really like Julian! I like the suggestion of using your maiden name in the middle, as well as very traditional boy names with it: Julian Thomas, Julian Edward, Julian Henry, Julian Charles, Julian Alexander... Not sure if you like any of these or if they work with your last name, though!

tulip928

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/22/2009 11:47:16 AM
Author: MustangGal
It''s funny to see my 30 year old DH''s name is still in the top 10! Guess Ryan''s a classic
2.gif

Ha - It''s funny to see my 33 year old son''s name so popular - it was unusual in ''76! He''s Noah.

My oldest daughter just had her first baby and named her Chloe Juniper.
My youngest daughter is expecting her first in June and will name her Ava if it turns out to be a girl.

lauralu

Brilliant_Rock
The Sophia craze had not quite started when we had Sophia 7 years ago. There is not one other Sophia in her 1st grade class and only 3 in the other 4 1st grade classes at her school. I stayed away from ubber popular names when naming my kids so i was a little shocked when I saw it start becoming so popular when she was about 3.

Sophia and Olivia are now the names of a lot of little 3 4 and 5 year olds here where I live.

ChinaCat

Brilliant_Rock
Another link of interesting names from 2009 from Nameberry:

http://nameberry.com/blog

And PACKRAT, those crazy names you listed are mentioned here as well!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/2/2010 11:00:55 PM
Author: lauralu
The Sophia craze had not quite started when we had Sophia 7 years ago. There is not one other Sophia in her 1st grade class and only 3 in the other 4 1st grade classes at her school. I stayed away from ubber popular names when naming my kids so i was a little shocked when I saw it start becoming so popular when she was about 3.

Sophia and Olivia are now the names of a lot of little 3 4 and 5 year olds here where I live.
Among my friends with babies (under age 2) there are quite a few Sophias and Olivias.

Rachel9

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/29/2009 4:45:10 PM
Oh I like Joby as a nickname for Jacob, that is cute!!

I remember one of the Victoria Andrews flowers in the attic books had a name where the nickname was Jory. I don't remember what the main name was but I always thought that was a cute nickname for a boy. Not when he's older so much I guess tho!
I should know this, DH's grandfather: Jory =George [greek]
edited to add: Jacob/Isaac are super popular in jewish communities w/o New Moon
2.gif

parrot tulips

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 12/29/2009 11:19:38 AM

The top 10 girls names in my area were pretty classic names, but the boys names got a little unusual: Leonel, Grey, and Saddah. I''ve never heard of the name Saddah before.

Rachel9

Shiny_Rock
Unfortunately I have, not in the US though........femenine= Saddam
20.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results