shape
carat
color
clarity

Top Notch Faceting

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can I pls ask the experts here their opinion on the gems produced by Top Notch Faceting? Most of them are non-symmetrical and most of them have big windows/culets cut into them intentionally.

He has beautiful rough, but the big open gap in the middle, that reflects little color and allows a direct view of the finger, just doesn't do it for me.

Am I missing something here?

Top Notch Faceting_1.jpeg

Top Notch Faceting _ 2.jpeg

Top Notch faceting_3.jpeg

Reactions: AV_

Niffler75

Brilliant_Rock
@mrs-b Haven't heard of them before but I did a quick search on here and there is a thread from last year about them and the window in the stones.

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Obligatory “not an expert”, only an opinion.

I imagine it’s a niche he’s honed in on. Separate him from others.

He obviously has some skill.

I think it’s a purposefully chosen trade off, to utilize rough for larger face up results.

I’d love to have one of his stones, but definitely feel it would need a specific style mounting, for it to mesh IMO.

I see it like some lapidaries seem to lean towards fantasy cuts/concave cuts. It sets them apart and they enjoy it?

dk168

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, he looks like he is consistent with his cutting to my untrained eyes if the windows were deliberately cut into the stones!

Unfortunately, they are not to my liking.

DK :))

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I almost bought a stone from him. It's very intentional. It's kind of an antique vibe, which appealed to me. But it's admittedly different.

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There's a lid for every pot. I might be into these if he was doing little pictures in them (I've seen a few on facebook that were pretty wowalicous!) As it stands, these would be fun pendant stones depending on the setting. I can see the look he's going for those its not something I would usually buy.

shelovesinclusions

Shiny_Rock
There's a lid for every pot. I might be into these if he was doing little pictures in them (I've seen a few on facebook that were pretty wowalicous!) As it stands, these would be fun pendant stones depending on the setting. I can see the look he's going for those its not something I would usually buy.

Yes! Like Dalan Hargrave's work?

Ceilimom

Brilliant_Rock

voce

Ideal_Rock

OboeGal

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hmmmmm........I........hmmmmmmmmmmm.......

OK, at first I thought, "Nope!" but......then I got thinking about a small shield or pear cut diamond set in a bezel in the window of the gemstone, and then the combo set. Hmmmm........

voce

Ideal_Rock
Hmmmmm........I........hmmmmmmmmmmm.......

OK, at first I thought, "Nope!" but......then I got thinking about a small shield or pear cut diamond set in a bezel in the window of the gemstone, and then the combo set. Hmmmm........

Lol I'm getting the visual image of one of those stone within a stone things that Gemfix and some other lapidaires have put up for sale, except with the window, you'd be getting stone underneath another stone instead!

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
I like trebliganna's work. For something edgy and unique. I just don't care to have to go through someone else to have to purchase the gems... Does anyone else feel that way?

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Glennpreus and saltgemsco are another 2 I wish you could buy from directly.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
I like trebliganna's work. For something edgy and unique. I just don't care to have to go through someone else to have to purchase the gems... Does anyone else feel that way?

Yes. Same. I like them but I don't like the idea of having to go through another. Especially because what if you get it and don't like it? Then you have a custom setting with a stone you hate? It's a total loss then. It's a giant money pit, to buy a stone that you can't return, then to sink money into a custom setting that can't be returned either.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock
Yes. Same. I like them but I don't like the idea of having to go through another. Especially because what if you get it and don't like it? Then you have a custom setting with a stone you hate? It's a total loss then. It's a giant money pit, to buy a stone that you can't return, then to sink money into a custom setting that can't be returned either.

That and what if I don't want to set it right away or I don't know what designer/jeweler I want to go with until I see the stone in person. Last but not least, I would like to get quotes perhaps from more than I designer. So as much as I like those gemstones from the places I mentioned above- it's not happening...

I agree with everything you said elizat!!!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think either you get it or you don’t.
nothing wrong with that.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
For someone who loves cabochons at least as much as faceted stones,
or
for rough of such color intensity that play of light via faceting is a not obvious distraction
- these make sense ...

carolinablue

Rough_Rock
Hi! This is Anna of Trebliganna. I hope this doesn't go against the rules, but just wanted to clarify a few points. I definitely don't expect anyone to have a custom piece made without seeing the stone in person first. In fact, it makes me nervous any time that happens! I think gems need to be seen in person to get a true sense of their personalities. The last thing I want is for someone to have a gem I cut that they're not in love with. I'm also happy to make arrangements if you're not ready to commit to a jeweler and just want to buy a stone. Please feel free to message me (I have no idea how to message on here, so Instagram is probably best) if you have any specific questions.

Side note: This is a super old pre-faceting career account and I've requested to have a Trade sticker added to it. Also, lurking on this forum is what got me really into gemstones initially!

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Hi! This is Anna of Trebliganna. I hope this doesn't go against the rules, but just wanted to clarify a few points. I definitely don't expect anyone to have a custom piece made without seeing the stone in person first. In fact, it makes me nervous any time that happens! I think gems need to be seen in person to get a true sense of their personalities. The last thing I want is for someone to have a gem I cut that they're not in love with. I'm also happy to make arrangements if you're not ready to commit to a jeweler and just want to buy a stone. Please feel free to message me (I have no idea how to message on here, so Instagram is probably best) if you have any specific questions.

Side note: This is a super old pre-faceting career account and I've requested to have a Trade sticker added to it. Also, lurking on this forum is what got me really into gemstones initially!

Thanks for clarifying!

I think a lot of us like the stones, so it is good to know! With the time it takes for custom work, the return policy would be over - or what happens if stone is damaged in setting!- so thank you for clarifying that.

peppermintpatty

Brilliant_Rock

I want to thank you to. I appreciate you clarifying all of that.

carolinablue

Rough_Rock
Thank you for your kind words! I’m glad it helped clear some things up. Honestly, the gems I cut are like my children, and I want them all to go out and live their best lives. I prefer to get updates on them and will also help you rehome them if things don’t work out down the road.

CSpan

Brilliant_Rock
Anna can you speak to the culet/window aspect of cutting. I saw you reference it in a post and liked where you were going :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results