shape
carat
color
clarity

Top 2 choices---Please help me with my cluelessness

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

The Dude

Rough_Rock
This is my first post but I''ve been reading here for a while. Just to get serious about buying a diamond and I''m starting to narrow down my choices, it will be for a Tacori setting #2257, with white not yellow diamonds, if interested.

Top 2 are:

Princess cut 1.08 C VS2 I
5.6x5.5x4
Depth 73.6
Table 76
Polish VG
Sym G
and

Asscher cut 1 C VS2 I
5.4x5.4x3.75
Depth 69.3
Table 68
Polish G
Sym G

They are both from E-tailer''s so I can''t really see them in person until I start an order, but I have seen the GIA sheets on both and nothing looks wierd to my eyes.

So...is there anything wrong with these numbers that would lead you to believe the diamond would not work out too well, as I''ve said I''m still partially clueless even though I have done most of my homework
1.gif

The only thing I''m really worried about is will it sparkle nicely, and I''m still don''t completly understand what numbers to look for to indicate "sparkle," or is it something you just have to see?

Thanks so much in advance!

JB

Lanee

Brilliant_Rock
The look of Asscher versus Princess is completely different to me but I prefer the Asscher look.

fuffi

Shiny_Rock
Dude-

Asschers and princesses have totally different looks. Do you know if your girlfriend prefers a step cut or brilliant cut? Most women have a strong preference either way.

Numbers can't guarantee a great performance from a fancy shape. Each needs to be assessed with your own eyes. The table on the princess looks a bit big but that doesn't mean it's not a pretty stone. Do you have girdle and crown height info?

Sorry, I'm unable to comment on the asscher proportions. I don't know much about them.

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
These two cut styles are not comparable. If you have not gotten down to the exact cut you really want, I suggest you go out and look at diamonds in person for a few hours. You can still buy over the Internet an probably save some money, but you are really not ready.

What you do have a handle on is your budget. So when you shop in most retail stores and they ask, "How much do you want to spend?" give them a number about 15 to 25 percent higher so you will see some stones in the category and size you are contemplating...

Once you have several princess cuts or Asscher cuts to choose from you can make certain choices "by the numbers", but I agree that cut quality is not just numbers, it is brilliancy, too. It is a combination of cutting and light return, not just one of these two components.

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Hi Dude robin and Todd of NiceIce sent me these pics for a project I am working on...I thought they might help you...as several posters have mentioned there is a big difference between Princess and Asscher...

The first pic is of Princess

princess_cut_diamond.jpg

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
This next pic if of a Square Radiant...also from NiceIce

square_radiant_diamond.jpg

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
This last pic is an Asscher...it has a distinct look to it...not to be confused with a square radiant

This stone is .90 H VS1 from NiceIce website

I love pictures

There are also other square stones such as Regent, Lucere, Flanders, and Queen of Hearts

asscher cut .90 HVS1.jpg

Hest88

Ideal_Rock
That's one of the nicest square radiant picts I've ever seen. I wouldn't even guess it was a radiant upon first glance. (Yeah, I'm not a radiant fan...)

The Dude

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the help. Just to clarify I do know that Princess and Asscher are two completely different cuts. My girlfriend has always said she wanted a princess cut, but she also had mentioned to me in the past that she likes the Emerald cut but doesn't want a rectangle, and since an Asscher is essential a square Emerald cut I thought that might be a nice suprize. Obviously I haven't made a solid decision on which one yet, but I've seen both and just need to make the choice. I wasn't really looking to compare those two stones as in which is the better choice, but more to get any input on how those #'s might effect the way they each look and if there was anything in those #'s that puts out a redlight I don't recognize.
Thanks Again,

JB

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results