shape
carat
color
clarity

Too showy?

Bahari05

Rough_Rock
We found a great diamond in our price range that fits all of the criteria but I am on the fence as to if it will look too pretentious. The diamond is a round and 2.7ct. I always had a 2 ct in mind and never thought I’d be in a position to be thinking if a diamond is too big! I have large hands (size 9 ring) and am 6 feet tall so I am thinking it may proportionate. What I am worried about is that it might look ostentatious or that it may look out of place with my "lifestyle" which is driving a Honda and rarely getting super dressed up. I wish I could try it on in a standard setting but won’t know how it looks until it is made since the rings in stores only go to above my 2nd knuckle.

UrsTx

Brilliant_Rock
I'm a ring size 8.5 but am only 5'5" so I bet your size 9 ring finger looks more slender/proportionate than mine :lol:

The answer to your ques really will be "personal preference." I have friends who think a .50ct is too showy and some who think a 3ct isn't showy enough.

I have a cushion cut that's 8.4x8.5mm and I don't think it looks too showy/big. I think it fits my hand well. I think it looks "at home" on my hand.

When I'm not dressed up for work, I prefer to be in rolled up jeans and a tee. My ering is set in a solitaire, which I think helps keeps the casual but classy look no matter the outfit. When I had a halo, I felt it sometimes out-dressed me and definitely brought attention to itself with the extra sparkle it has. But halos and solitaires still are my fave two settings!

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Bahari05|1445217555|3939710 said:
We found a great diamond in our price range that fits all of the criteria but I am on the fence as to if it will look too pretentious. The diamond is a round and 2.7ct. I always had a 2 ct in mind and never thought I’d be in a position to be thinking if a diamond is too big! I have large hands (size 9 ring) and am 6 feet tall so I am thinking it may proportionate. What I am worried about is that it might look ostentatious or that it may look out of place with my "lifestyle" which is driving a Honda and rarely getting super dressed up. I wish I could try it on in a standard setting but won’t know how it looks until it is made since the rings in stores only go to above my 2nd knuckle.
Very normal!..I wear a 2.3ct ring and drive a 2001 Toyota truck.. :praise:

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
To some people, your first choice of a two carat stone would seem 'showy'. Size is relative to lots of things - if you feel that you would be comfortable with wearing it them go for it.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What size do your contemporaries wear? Normally, my attitude is wear what makes you happy but I suffer from the size thing
that you talk about and my ring is only a 1.08 pear. To be honest I dont wear it most days. I usually just wear
my 5 stone band (.83) and a .5 right hand ring or another 5 stone band on my right hand. I usually only wear my pear when I'm
going somewhere nice. I would say the average in my area is about .5ish but among my friends its more like .75 up to 1 carat.

Do keep in mind that stones tend to shrink after you have owned them a little while. A 2.7 is still going to be somewhat large
and noticeable no matter what! Just think hard about what feels right FOR YOU.

Other thoughts, if you put it in a lower, more casual (versus blingy) setting it probably wont attract as much attention. We have
had a few PSers downsize around here. Hopefully someone will post and give you some things to think about before you buy.

decisively_unsure

Shiny_Rock
The ironic thing is that 2ct+ stones are considerably more expensive, all things equal - compared to smaller stones - they can easily come across as tacky.

junebug17

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I personally think it will look lovely on you, and even if it feels a bit big at first there's a good chance your eyes will adjust and you'll get used to it. If you're concerned about it being showy, I would set it in a simple solitaire setting, it's a very elegant look and IMO suits any style of dress.

I am a size 4.25 and I ordered a 9 mm cz solitaire on ebay just to see what it would look like on my hand (I thought it looked great lol). Since you're having trouble trying rings on, maybe you could do the same and wear it around for a while to help you decide if you'd be comfortable wearing a larger diamond. Everybody does have different comfort levels when it comes to this issue, you just have to figure out what is best for you. And a 2 carat diamond would also look very pretty and substantial on your hand too.

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Get what you LIKE. You are the one wearing it. I think it will look FABULOUS on you. I have a 4.5 finger and a 2.59 solitaire. Love it. And I drive a Honda and never dress up.

pearaffair

Ideal_Rock
Premium
There is a good book called "The Millionaire Next Door". Did you know that most millionaires owned Toyotas, because they were reliable and a good value? I wouldn't worry about your ring needing to match your lifestyle... But would it prevent you from wearing it?

Travelgal

Shiny_Rock
I think it's all in the way you set the stone. I was afraid to go above 2 carats because of my job- I meet with clients and still wanted to be "approachable/relatable" in an industry where the average ring is a caratish. I went with 1.7, but if I could do it over again, I would go bigger. In my opinion, a low profile and (for me) a cathedral solitaire is classy and not showy.

artdecolover71

Brilliant_Rock
I love diamonds. nothing too showy if it is done well in my opinion.

upgrade-me

Rough_Rock
I'm 5'3" and wear a 3.75 ring size. I just upgraded to a 2.5 round carat diamond solitaire this year and I already think it looks 'normal' (vs. too big). I also drive a Honda. It's all about what you want and feel comfortable wearing. If you can afford the 2.7 carat, think it looks good on you, go for it! :angel:

Wendylynne

Shiny_Rock
I think it would look perfect.. Im 5'9 , size 8 finger ( ring is 8.5.. i wear a 3ct oval and i don't think it looks too flashy.. ovals also face up bigger. I've attached photo for you to see

photo_on_10-20-15_at_8.jpg

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wendylynne|1445387616|3940437 said:
I think it would look perfect.. Im 5'9 , size 8 finger ( ring is 8.5.. i wear a 3ct oval and i don't think it looks too flashy.. ovals also face up bigger. I've attached photo for you to see
Very cool ! . A lady sporting a gent's Day/Date... :appl:

Wendylynne

Shiny_Rock
i loove big watches!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results