shape
carat
color
clarity

too shallow with great HCA?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Delos

Rough_Rock
Looking at the following stone...Although the HCA looks great, I''m worried that the crown angle may be a little too shallow. Although I''m not looking for perfection, the idealscope looks like there''s a little too much black. Any thoughts?

2.01, SI1, H
diameter 8.18
depth 60.9%
table 53.1%
crown angle 32.9%
pavillion angle 40.5%
girdle med to sltk, f
cutlet 0.3%
polish ex
symm ex
fluoro none

HCA:
light return: vg
fire: ex
scintillation: ex
spread: vg
total: 0.9 (excellent)

IS.jpg

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
If you have excellent close up eye sight then this stone is not for you in a ring setting - but in a pendant or for someone of my age who needs to hold something about 16 inches away to be able to see it well - then it will be a winner.

It will show plenty of fire and will not look as dead when it is dirty.

Many people will say "heretic" "mad man" "sick in the head" etc, but it is my story and I will stick with it
1.gif

Have you seen the stone?

Delos

Rough_Rock
Cut Nut,

Thanks a lot for your thoughts, always appreciated. The diamond fortunately will go to a girl with blonde hair and a very light complexion. However, it is for the ring. Could you expound a little or put things into perspective on how dark this would be? Would you keep looking? For just under 14k, I thought this was a pretty good buy...

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
It has a great spread for a diamond with a smallish table (which is good).

The imaginary cone of light blocked by your head obstructing illumination sources (about 30 degrees in close up viewing and 20 degrees from further away) is greater for a diamond with shallow proportions.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmmm....for $14900 (Pscope price) you could have had this beautiful baby:

http://www.whiteflash.com/diamonds/diamond_Details.aspx?itemcode=GIA-12321720

2.01 G SI1 with excellent IdealScope image and 1.1 EX on HCA.
2.gif

I would keep looking. As this stone shows you....the 2c H SI at $14k is about right for a decent price...for a very well-cut stone. This stone you are considering may be lovely, but it comes with 'conditions'....see if you can find something that doesn't look beautiful based on conditions. If not, this stone you have found could be a lovely alternative.

Good luck.

Manks

Rough_Rock
It is also not for people with large dark hair styles, or very dark skinned people.

I agree, the stone would certainly look better on a blonde, preferably short or feather cut. I would personally also avoid it if you are a vegetarian or wear tight clothing. This stone would be particularly poor for a coffee drinker, Sagitarius or anyone called Sandra.
wink2.gif

Cut Nut, you are a demi-god. If I ever have half the knowledge you do, I'll be a clever man.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
He he ! These shallow-pavilion stones are tricky...

They look their best when noboy takes a close look
eek.gif
Literally
11.gif

elmo

Brilliant_Rock
----------------
On 3/13/2004 12:58:13 AM Mara wrote:

Hmmmm....for $14900 (Pscope price) you could have had this beautiful baby: 2.01 G SI1 with excellent IdealScope image and 1.1 EX on HCA.
----------------

Mara, it looks like a nice stone but I disagree - that one is "sold", and a search for similar diamonds at wf and here shows you'll pay more like $17k on average for a nice ex/ex ideal 2 carat G-SI1. If you "show matches" on that one, the only two fair comparisons are $17-18K...the ones around $14k aren't ex/ex and don't have Sarin info. That one looks more like an atypical nice deal.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Elmo...yes i know the diamond is sold, hence the wording 'could have had'....
2.gif

The stone is one of WF's expert selection stones, which are the "best value for the money"...so it seems like many times they are priced below what their H&A ACA or similar branded stones would sell for on other vendor sites. If you surf the Expert Selection you will find many 'great deals' with really stellar IS images...I've drooled over a couple myself.

It's nice to find an atypical good deal a time or two, esp from a reputable co.

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
I think Mara's point here was this: a little patience and willingness to dig around can often produce great deals. It IS possible to get a better cut stone for that money......because someone's already done it once!

That doesn't mean all deals are like this. Finding my stone was a similar "find".....there aren't a lot of SI2 stones in ideal cut that have white inclusions, but I was able to find one of them, and hence, I got a TREMENDOUS deal.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results