shape
carat
color
clarity

Too Orange???

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Anyway, let me know what you think and what you''d like to change. :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay. That''s just TOO cool.

Is that some special software you have? How sweet are you to help me so much!!

That''s just above and beyond!

I love the deep orange.. almost terracotta color on the bed. And really like the diamonds in the paint treatment too. Very awesome. I think it''s a great idea to bring in the black again in some of the frames on the art wall. I''m really sold on that now and I never would have thought of it myself. The curtains on the windows are lovely. And I really love how you''ve brought them in again behind the bed. I love the body of the silk drapes you picked... and have seen some silk that will work for that at a fair price ... and I love that the drapes are two tone, capturing the wall treatment behind the bed.

What I want to see a little different is the boldness of the other colors, which I know you''ve mentioned aren''t right yet. I really love Ivory. I know its a little boring. But I''d like my bed linens (except the duvet and 2 of the shams) to be ivory. And then bring in a nice sage green in a couple of pillows. One color I really dislike is yellow, though. I don''t really want any yellow or mellow golds on the walls or on the bed. And I''m wondering if we can do something else behind the bed as art work? A mirror of some sort or I don''t know, you''ve had such great ideas... something else behind the bed.

I''d like to bring in a lot more ivory and keep the color palete to three or four colors: Terrecotta and pumpkin for the orange, sage for the green, and ivory or cream with occasional touches of crimson in the art work and on the vases maybe. Would that be okay?? Would it be too boring to do diamonds on instead of the chair rail on the picture wall (I really love the diamonds) but in cream and a deeper ivory... so that it looks almost like a jaquard?

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
No software, although I could use it, but this way is easier for me.. I just sketched it by hand, took a digital picture of my sketch, then started photoshopping...lol

Yeah, yellow is a love it or hate it color. That''s funny, I originally had the pillows in sage, then changed them around a few times. The colors of the room are gonna be a little skewed but you''ll get the general idea.

The diamonds were actually just the light from the sconces changing the wall color. BUT doing a pattern on that wall that way would bring your eye up and outward, so it would definitely work if you wanted to do that kind of paint treatment. I think the diamond pattern in the cream and ivory would be really cool on that picture wall. I''ll see if I can draw something up going in that direction tomorrow.

I gotta hit the sack early tonight, but I''ll try to get something posted up tomorrow with your changes. :razz:

I love doing perspective drawings.. I actually had to change my major in college recently to Art Education (our interior design program is closing next spring) so I could graduate. So while I''m teaching, I''ll be continuing my education and getting a masters in Architecture, which was my original plan.

ANYHOO these drawings (since I''m just freshly out of the department) help me keep my mind thinking, and help me get better at sketching quickly for future clients. So it''s a win-win for both of us :)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
My dislike of Yellow is because my mother''s house is all muted golds. She has marble floors, all Jeruslem Gold. Her walls are a soft gold. In the carpeted areas, the carpets are a soft gold. She''s used salmon as an accent color with dark brown. And all her furniture is upholstered so there isn''t a great deal of wood to break it up. It''s all flows very well but... It''s the WHOLE HOUSE. It''s boring. So I guess I''ve associated the color with boring and well... rigid (my mother is very rigid).

I''m glad that this is keeping your skills fresh, at the least. It''s helping me a ton. Our bedroom would be easy if I didn''t have to take FI''s tastes into account, let me tell you. But since it has to be something he would feel comfortable in... my brain shuts down.

Again, I really appreciate this, and am having fun. Thank you!

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
I''m digging the terra cotta-- gorgeous!! Hopefully your DF will get into it too Gypsy.

hikerchick

Brilliant_Rock
curiopotter, YOU are AMAZING . . . truly. What talent, I am impressed.
Gypsy, I LOVE the shades of orange, it looks great.

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks hikerchic

Gypsy, If your DF has personal tastes lemmie know. The more I know about things you and him like, the better. I can usually get a good assumption on how a room should be done according to things you''re interested in, stores you like to shop at, colors and art peices you like. Anyway, any information you can squeeze out of him would be helpful.

My bf always said I could do whatever I wanted.. but then I started picking colors out, and linens, and then ALL of a sudden, he started having opinions. So I know how it is :)

Almost makes you want to call "While You Were Out" so you don''t have to deal with the extra work involved in their ever-changing ideas..

diamondfan

Super_Ideal_Rock
I was thinking more terra cotta/pumpkin, with khaki/sand, sage green and chocolate brown. Mix in accents of dark iron and use wood that is a darker tone, like a teak finish, and it would be so stunning. I love the wall with the different sized pictures that Curio posted early on. I would avoid yellow but I am not a fan of most yellows...I like creamy yellow mixed with blue and white in kitchens...and sometimes bedrooms...but this is richer and warm.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay hon, you asked for it.

DF and I walk into a store to buy a couch.

Here''s what he goes straight toward:

http://www.la-z-boy.com/ourfurniture/product.aspx?pid=5055

http://www.la-z-boy.com/ourfurniture/product.aspx?pid=4149

I cry; "They''re so bulky and frumpy." (But as I sit I realize that I could just curl up and want to sigh in comfort)

So I drag him over to these:

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=931&f=12883

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=931&f=12652

He cries: "You''re kidding right! That is the most uncomfortable thing I''ve sat on!" (but he acknowledges that they look very nice and would ''fit'' the look we are trying to acheive).

And we compromise on this:

http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=960&f=8679
or
http://www.crateandbarrel.com/family.aspx?c=960&f=5355

Then we argue about color. He wants dark. I want light. We get a medium hue.
I shop at:

Ann Taylor for my clothes. Nordstoms savvy has lovely things for accents. I''m very tailored. But I love texture. Velvets and laces and lovely silver buttons to dress up an otherwise conservative outfit.
I love shoes. Wedge heels are a favorite of mine. Height and looks without the spiky heel.

I have three cats. They rule the house. I love high thread count sheets in ivory and white because they are bleachable. My towels are all white because they are bleachable.

Flowers. I ADORE flowers. LOVE THEM.

For style and design inspiration I
Watch: Divine Design. I LOVE Candice''s taste. ADORE IT.
Browse: Crate and Barrel and Pottery Barn for trends and accent pieces.
Browse: Vintage furniture shops for lighting or wood pieces. I love art deco pieces... but also love those stunning stuffy english highboys.
I love crystal vases. But not cut crystal.

Things I don''t like decoratively. Quilts, needlepoint, afghans, primary colors. Anything too country (distressed finishes or oak) or too modern (chrome, plastic).

DF likes to shop at:

Well. He loves nice suits. But has them all hanging in the closet and doesn''t wear them often.
His favorite piece of clothing is a leather sports coat we got him at neimans that you can''t tell is leather. It looks like cloth. It''s brown.

Oh yeah. His clothing consists of the following colors: black. Grey. Brown. White. Beige. Navy. Blue. That''s IT with the exception of one red flannel shirt that makes him look like he belongs on the set of Smallville.

He wears jeans almost ALL THE TIME.

He likes Candice, not as much as I do, but he appreciates the fact that her spaces for couples aren''t too feminine and that they do take into account comfort.

On Trading Spaces his favorite designer was Vern with Frank second and he HATED the southern girl and her dislike of ceiling fans. He didn''t like Doug or Hildy either.

My favorite TS designers were Vern and the southern girl with her dislike of ceiling fans. : ) I like Frank''s personality, but disliked his country style.

He painted our office in our house RED. Then filled it with dark cherry funiture and medival themed accents. He reads fantasy and loves dragons and lions and things with claws in decorating. It was a striking room, but I couldn''t spend a ton of time in it. Finally I had to lighten it with some brighter accents and creams and ivories.

I painted our bedroom polar sky by benjamin moore. A light blue shade. I LOVED that color. He wanted bronze and brown and black accents in there before he stopped feeling like he should, "take off the diaper/panties" and get comfortable.

Are we hopeless??? LOL.
9.gif

pearcrazy

Brilliant_Rock
Nope, not hopeless at all. It sounds like you both know how to compromise and that's a "very good thing" as Martha would say.

I LOVE Candace Olsen too. She's never done a room that I didn't think was absolutely DIVINE!!

Skippy123

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/6/2007 2:36:55 PM
Author: hikerchick
curiopotter, YOU are AMAZING . . . truly. What talent, I am impressed.
Gypsy, I LOVE the shades of orange, it looks great.
Wow, you are awesome Curiopotter!!!!

door knob solitaire

Ideal_Rock

No software, although I could use it, but this way is easier for me.. I just sketched it by hand, took a digital picture of my sketch, then started photoshopping...lol

Wow Curio...

You are a genius!!
36.gif
Absolutely amazing!!
36.gif
I never...never would have thought of that. Is that a standard trick often used in the industry or was it your idea? Either way your sketch is unbelievable! You ROCK!! Your vision is fabulous. I can almost taste the color. The drapes at the head of the bed from the canopy adds just the right amount of soft texture and intrigue, but not too much for the small space. I really like that idea. Well, I love the whole package! WOW!!

Many were mentioning Candice Olsen...she provides her sketch at the end of the episode and it magically morphs into reality-the finished project. Exact placements etc. Is she taking the finished works photo image and placing it in a drawing software program...or is she REALLY that good? (oh that didn''t come out right...I think she rocks, I only meant her drawing ability.)

You are going to be quite the success!

DKS

curiopotter

Brilliant_Rock
I''m positive Candice does her own sketches, but I think her "after" TV sketches (like her angled perspective drawings) are drawn after she''s done filming. I think her horizontal elevation sketches are done first though. When you design, it never goes that easy, so if she drew the final sketch before she finished designing, I think I would have a hard time buying it. I mean, you end up moving things, moving ceramics, choosing different accessories.... The magic of television allows for editing :)

I love her show too, I watch it as often as I can.

As for the industry standard? No, I don''t think any designer sketches their ideas, takes a digital photo of it, and does it on photoshop. lol, that''s just my quickie way of doing it. Number one, I didn''t have my markers with me, and number two, I''m really old school when it comes to sketching, and prefer doing it by hand. If Gypsy were my real client, I would have sketched something by hand, and included a computer model of the finished product. I would have used the scanner to import that image (instead of my digital cam), but my mom''s office is locked. When I eventually begin a career in design and architecture, I''ll probably buy a tablet PC and draw quick sketches for my clients.

Gypsy,

Your narrative is hilarious, and is amost identical to my experience with my bf. He loves my taste, but he also loves comfort. And those pretty couches just don''t cut it for him. *sigh* You''ve seen restoration hardware''s furniture, right? It''s beautiful.

As far as your taste-- I don''t think it''s too far off, although I know there''s middle ground. I feel like the designer on "Designing for the Sexes" lol

I''ll get some different colors and accessories lined up soon..

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
No worries... this is fun! My tax return isn't in yet so I'm waiting on the major purchases till its in.

As for designing for the sexes... EXACTLY!

I thought the guy was a little weird but the the concept of the show is brilliant.

I just had DF read that post and he chuckled and said, "That's us in a nut shell."

I'm really learning a lot and am really impressed with your creativity both in the design itself and in the drawings!

DF was REALLY impressed and was actually very receptive to the changes you made-- even the picture wall!!!

I'm going to have a really lovely room, and its all going to be thanks to you!

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay. So I'm REALLY Nervous.

I was all set to buy this bed I had seen at a local retailer here... then I went to a cousin's house to drop something off... and she was putting together a bed she had bought and ordered online for one of her guest bedroom (huge freaking house, she has 7 bedrooms and it's just her and hubby). She had been watching this bed for a while and it was reduced (on OVERSTOCK) of all places) by half the original price (gotta love overstock)....

It is a Four Poster and similar to what I wanted (except for the color)-- nice enough quality (not heirloom, just something to get us by... and eventually become guest room furniture when I can afford something nicer) ... but it was a cherry stained wood (real wood too).

Long story short (too late)... I go on overstock just looking (she had only said it was half off... not how much) and it was 350 bucks!
23.gif
I could NOT believe it. It hadn't look different in quality from the bed I was going to buy for over four times that price.

AND they had it in a rubbed distressed black finish! SO... I bought it. On a bit of a whim (319 bucks with a $35 off coupon code and 3 dollar shipping!)

I just bought a bed. ONLINE. For a ridiculously low price.

I figure if it doesn't work out I'll craigslist the thing.

I also bought bedding online (not at overstock)... because I couldn't find the color I want in stores.

But I have NO idea if the monitor color is accurate.

I'm gone Online Shopping CRAZY.
37.gif

Here's the bed link:
23.gif
http://images01.overstock.com/images/products/L80010046.jpg

crown1

Brilliant_Rock
pic looks good! it seems it was your lucky day.

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Curio If you are here... I just wanted to thank you again for all your help!

I just found some sconces I like... they are different then what you had suggested but are perfect for us! They open up nightstand space and HALLY CAN NOT KNOCK THEM OVER!!! Best part.

The picture wall is coming along nicely. It's a work in progress But I'm really digging it.

I just wanted to thank you for your ideas and inspirations! I would NOT have come up with anything CLOSE to as nice by myself.

I'm waiting for the bedding to come in before snagging drapes. But I hope that in a few months I'll have some pics for you!!

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

THANK YOU!

Crown! It looks good in person... SHOCKINGLY so. I just couldn't pass up the chance to save so much money!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results