shape
carat
color
clarity

Too much $$ for setting?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

nvshelat

Rough_Rock
K guys need some advice - I keep hearing that what you pay for is the rock, not the setting, and that I shouldn''t spend too much money on the setting. The thing is, I got a good deal on the rock, so I figured I''d put a little more into the setting. However, the setting that she and I both love is the solasfera semi-mount at GOG (great place): http://www.goodoldgold.com/setting/SF-LMJ00481/

The problem is, the price of the setting is almost 1/2 the price of what I paid for the center rock! Is that too much? Do you guys know of similar looking settings w/o solasfera diamonds that may be less expensive? We looked at GOG''s settings but this one was the only one we liked from there.
Also, the center rock is a .81 VS1 E with excellent polish and symetry, so it''s quite brilliant though small. However, we are talkin solasfera on the sides - do you think the setting would distract too much from the centerpiece?

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It is a beautiful, classic style. The Solasfera stones will be superbly cut and probably the mounting will be well made. That said, there is little doubt you could cut a lot of corners to save a good portion of the price and still have a very attractive ring. Maybe getting a no-name brand item built with very good, but not ideal cut side stones will do the trick. It surely can cost less than for branded ring, and branded side diamonds. It may not be identical, but it sure could be very nice.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I see nothing wrong with getting a classic, high quality setting that could last a lifetime. When I hesitate is when the style is dated or not high quality. The only thing most of would say in this situation is, you know you could go up to an F or G 1 ct. diamond if you went with a less expensive setting. Is .81 her dream size diamond? If so, then go for the nice setting. If she''d rather have a 1 ct. diamond, go with a simple setting now and change it later if she wants.

Cehrabehra

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/28/2006 3:14:35 PM
Author:nvshelat
K guys need some advice - I keep hearing that what you pay for is the rock, not the setting, and that I shouldn''t spend too much money on the setting. The thing is, I got a good deal on the rock, so I figured I''d put a little more into the setting. However, the setting that she and I both love is the solasfera semi-mount at GOG (great place): http://www.goodoldgold.com/setting/SF-LMJ00481/

The problem is, the price of the setting is almost 1/2 the price of what I paid for the center rock! Is that too much? Do you guys know of similar looking settings w/o solasfera diamonds that may be less expensive? We looked at GOG''s settings but this one was the only one we liked from there.
Also, the center rock is a .81 VS1 E with excellent polish and symetry, so it''s quite brilliant though small. However, we are talkin solasfera on the sides - do you think the setting would distract too much from the centerpiece?
I think price is irrelevant - really. What you want is a ring. A diamond ring. A vessel for a diamond. Some would prefer to have quite literally THE cheapest setting possible to put all their money into a stone. If you already HAVE a stone you love - then you can put all the money you have left into an awesome setting!!! There is nothing wrong with a gorgeous ring around your diamond :)

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
I happen to think a gorgeous stone put into a complimentary setting is the way to go. Some people prefer the look of the stone being the main thing and others, like myself, really like the embellishment of a setting to stand out and enhance the main diamond. It''s all personal preference.

What is often recommended is don''t pick out an elaborate expensive setting when you have no idea what style your fiance likes. That''s when everyone says blow the whole wad on a gorgeous stone, get a simple setting and let her pick out the finally setting as an upgrade for an anniversary or something.

kcoursolle

Super_Ideal_Rock
I would think about what she would like. The proportion of $$ spent on the setting relative to the center stone is a personal choice. Some want the biggest rock they can afford for the budget and a simple settings, others want an overall look that comes with a more complicated setting. I would think about where your gf fits in and what sort of ring you think she would like.

I don''t see anything wrong with spending a substantial part of the budget on the setting if you think it''s a look that she will love.

rockymountain

Rough_Rock
For someone who just proposed, I have to say that the setting play an equal part in the overall appearance of the ring. Id say 50%. The diamond is the rock that is going to be set in the ring, allthough many people just look at the size of the rock, your gf might want to have a ring with a design that speaks to her. So if you girl does not mind any setting, then getting a nice high quality setting with a lower price is fine.

However if she spotted and saw the setting you mentioned above and absolutely love it, I think it is worth the price. Otherwise getting a bigger stone is a nice addition for the ring or even saving the money for something else.

As for the settings, Im sure once of the pricescoper here can help you out with another brand that has the same design as that one.

Here are some to get you started

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-sidestones.asp?module=setting&cid=58&item=893

http://www.jamesallen.com/engagement-rings/settings-with-sidestones.asp?module=setting&cid=58&item=1088

Browse through the diamond vendors and and designers & brands under the resources tab above. Im sure you will find something similar but at a cheaper price. For me finding the right ring was more frustating than finding the right diamond lol

Good luck

chilihoo

Rough_Rock
my fiancee''s engagement ring is from GOG. btw...love the place.

I also thought the setting was expensive based on my research but its worth it.
my fiancee loves it.
you''re getting a classic, designer setting.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results