shape
carat
color
clarity

Too light tourmaline?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What do you think? Too light? I would bezel it (off course), and it''s about 8mm...
I love the minty tourmalines, do you think it''s too light?

tourm567.jpg

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It depends on what you paid for it. While it is light in color, it would probably look fantastic in a bezel due to the Portuguese cutting on it. I would do yellow gold to give it more color. Yellow gold works fantastically with light colored blue/green tourmalines. Pretty stone.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2009 1:12:52 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
It depends on what you paid for it. While it is light in color, it would probably look fantastic in a bezel due to the Portuguese cutting on it. I would do yellow gold to give it more color. Yellow gold works fantastically with light colored blue/green tourmalines. Pretty stone.

It''s 165$, no idea about the pricing of tourmalines..
Does yellow gold bring out the green or the blue?

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 6/22/2009 1:19:24 PM
Author: MakingTheGrade
Date: 6/22/2009 1:12:52 PM

It''s 165$, no idea about the pricing of tourmalines..

Does yellow gold bring out the green or the blue?
this is on my list! are you going to get it? or have you already?

karee888

Brilliant_Rock
is it the one from gemline? it''s $235....

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, it''s the one from gemline.
I''m still considering it, I just got an email back saying that in natural light the gem is actually even lighter than in the pics...so maybe it really is just too light.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Well, the price kind of reflects the fact that is probably lacks saturation. At least it wasn't a great deal of $$$. That's a fair price.

I personally like lighter toned tourmalines, but not when they're so light they look like they're "dead." You will probably need to evaluate it in person and decide on whether it speaks to you or not. Yellow brings out more of the green, but if you were to put that in white gold, it would probably be totally washed out.

My round precision cut cuprian is a lighter toned tourmaline in 18K yellow gold. It's more on the blue side, so it will give you an idea of what it might look like when set in yellow gold. I think your stone is probably much lighter toned though.

stepcutnut

Ideal_Rock
I think it's a lovely stone and that it would look nice bezeled in rose gold :) Maybe one to see in person.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
From the information from GemLine, it sounds like it might be too light, even for a bezel.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2009 3:21:33 PM
Author: Chrono
From the information from GemLine, it sounds like it might be too light, even for a bezel.
Yes, which in that case, this stone would be more about sparkle factor than color.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 6/22/2009 3:23:21 PM
Yes, which in that case, this stone would be more about sparkle factor than color.
I think it would flash some hints of mint.

Linda W

Super_Ideal_Rock
It looks really pretty to me.

MakingTheGrade

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think I"ll pass on this one, and wait for something a tad more saturated.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Beautiful cut stone. I''m all for bezeling!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results