shape
carat
color
clarity

Too good to be true??

raresauce

Rough_Rock
Need your thoughts on this.

I found a diamond seller on eBay from South Africa and messaged him regarding if he had access to other diamonds. He says that he works with many suppliers and at first he was sending me options that were not certified and I did not purchase one. Today he sent me two options that come with certificates and I need to know what you think if its too good to be true. They are not enhanced.

1. 1.23ct round, G, SI1, good, good, good, GIA certified.

2. 1.00ct round, F, VS1, vg, vg,vg, EGL Internation certified.

He is asking $2100 each for the diamond and I am thinking of buying one but have some concerns.

Are these deals too good to be true??

I looked up the GIA certificate online and it comes up as valid, I am having trouble finding the EGL one online but he sent me a picture of it.

I asked if they were laser inscribed and he said no, would this be an issue? could the certs be fake.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks

ADN

Shiny_Rock
Trade
Hey mate - if you have to ask if it's too good to be true...then it probably is ;-)
I can't comment on whether you should buy one or not, but if you do a bit of research, you'll see that 3x good isn't really that 'good' at all - - - and EGL reports are renowned for not being accurate - - but if you're happy with what you'd get for what you'd pay, that's your call.
There are no 'cheap' diamonds...only lower quality ones that are priced accordingly...
Good luck

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
Is there a color redder than red for the flags associated with this transaction!?

Wouldn't touch this at all. No way. No how.

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Have you seen these stones or seen pictures of these stones?
Post pictures if you have them.

Like the post said above, a "good" cut really is not that good.

You can use the values from the GIA report and run them through the
Hca tool under the tools pulldown menu. Decent stones usually score 2 or less.

You should tell your guy you want to look at Excellent /Ideal cuts and some of those even aren't that great.

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
sonnyjane|1453686019|3980915 said:
Is there a color redder than red for the flags associated with this transaction!?

Wouldn't touch this at all. No way. No how.

Yeah, pretty much.
Do yourself a favour and stick to domestic retailers unless you're located in SA.
Require GIA or AGSL reports.

FWIW my first concern isn't price, it's Kimberley!

raresauce

Rough_Rock
What do you mean your main concern would be kimberly? I am trying to post some pictures. Im leaning towards the 1 ct

raresauce

Rough_Rock
image_372.jpg image_373.jpg image_374.jpg

Please tell me what you think

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The cuts are all bad.

sonnyjane

Ideal_Rock
AprilBaby|1453688582|3980947 said:
The cuts are all bad.

Correct, and I'd be very curious to know why a reputable dealer would be parting with a stone for approximately $3,500 less than market value (for the alleged GIA stone)?

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
It sounds too good to be true. Proceed with caution....

:wavey:

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post the GIA number so we can look at the cut and the inclusions...this transaction has disaster written all over it.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yes, how fast can you run?.. :bigsmile:

mazzal

Rough_Rock
Trade
First of the the EGL International has quite different standards from what the GIA uses. So the color and clarity grades are not necessarily the same as it would be on a GIA report, and could even fluctuate if re-graded at the same lab.

Polish, Symmetry and Cut Grades: The grades are Poor, Good, Very Good and Excellent, so as the people said before me, good isn't as good as it could be.

Check out the reports on the online report checks, here you can find report check websites for both diamonds.

Still, that doesn't mean know that the grading report is legit and that the diamond matches the one on the grading report.

Maybe it is better to stick to a trusted dealer.

Leo

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
The willingness to trust an unknown seller, especially one not subject to any applicable penalty or law to keep them in check, is the worst kind of mistake possible in a financial transaction. We can tell you are no expert in this, and that's certainly understandable. You will never become an expert in this kind of thing without learning some hard lessons, but this lesson you might learn by trusting one of us that just know better already. These are the voices of experience and caution. Buy from a legitimate seller, pay a fair price and then you can expect to get the deal you paid for. Buying from an unrecognized source is way too dangerous for even the most experienced dealer.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results