shape
carat
color
clarity

Too good to be true?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DaveN

Rough_Rock
I found this site a little too late in the process. Went to 47th street to buy my wife diamond earrings for
our 20th anniversary. I ended up in a store looking at 2 carat total weight set stones. I selected a pair before
completing negotiations and took them to a GIA appraiser on the block. He offers a verbal appraisal prior to
purchase for a reasonable price, in this case $50.

He liked the stones. They are as follows:
Weight: 2.04
Cut: Round
Color: G
Clarity: SI clarity enhanced
Med. girdle
58 table
1 culet/no culet

I had not been told that these were clarity enhanced by the store. The appraiser felt that the enhancement
was not a big deal. He explained the process and his info matched what I later read here. He put a retail price
of $8600 and a street price of $5712. He then asked me what I had been quoted. I explained that I had stated
that 3k was my limit and that that was the price as I understood it. He was very surprised stating that I must be mistaken.
Perhaps it was 3k/carat. His advice, at that price I could buy them and then turn around and sell them for a profit. Perhaps
they had taken them in from someone off the street for $1500 and thus could afford that price.

Long story short, returned to store and they wanted $4500. Long negotiation followed and I paid $3300 cash. Went back
for written appraisal and told appraiser the selling price. No comment good or bad. How did I do? Did I get a deal or leave
money on the table?

Dave

P.S. Got back to my parents'' house and they had dealt with the same store 20 years ago! Small world.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sounds like a good price... it is not too good to be true, just a nice bargain. I assume clarity enhancement here was fracture filling? It is possible that the earings were a 'second hand' buy and this could explain the price. Otherwise, it is also a possibility that either the color or the clarity grades or both were somewhat inflated. However, the price would still make alot of sense for lower grades. Are they eye clean (or close)?

PS: a 'GIA appraiser' (I assume this describes an appraiser with a GIA degree) does not necessarily issue identical grades, with the same degree of precission, as a GIA lab report. GIA would not ceruty clarity enhanced stones (other labs, such as EGL?, would). Lenient grading would explain the price better than the 'bargain' label. Also, I guess the extent of clarity enhancement (the size of the area affected by the enhancement and the difference in appearence and grade between before and after) does make a difference after all. Along the same line, for clarity enhanced diamonds one should expect to pay the price of the stones according to their grade BEFORE the enhancement (say, these could have been G, I2-3? turned SI). So there are many things which could have justified the bargain status.
2.gif

However, I have to say, that the deal sounds awesome for the color, size and looks of the stones you describe! Congratulations!
1.gif

magna2

Shiny_Rock
$3300 for the diamonds is a great price.

rodent.gif

DaveN

Rough_Rock
----------------
On 11/24/2003 7:22:13 AM valeria101 wrote:

Sounds like a good price... it is not too good to be true, just a nice bargain. I assume clarity enhancement here was fracture filling? It is possible that the earings were a 'second hand' buy and this could explain the price. Otherwise, it is also a possibility that either the color or the clarity grades or both were somewhat inflated. However, the price would still make alot of sense for lower grades. Are they eye clean (or close)?

The stone are eye clean despite a lot of looking. My eyes aren't as sharp as they used to be, but I felt pretty good when presented with a stone and asked whether I could see any inclusions I spotted 3 right off the bat. The jeweler looked at me disdainfully but when she checked with a loupe I was correct. I'm thinking of purchasing a 10x magnifier for the fun of it.

I compared these stones to D color and there was no yellow tinting aparent.

PS: a 'GIA appraiser' (I assume this describes an appraiser with a GIA degree) does not necessarily issue identical grades, with the same degree of precission, as a GIA lab report. GIA would not ceruty clarity enhanced stones (other labs, such as EGL?, would). Lenient grading would explain the price better than the 'bargain' label. Also, I guess the extent of clarity enhancement (the size of the area affected by the enhancement and the difference in appearence and grade between before and after) does make a difference after all. Along the same line, for clarity enhanced diamonds one should expect to pay the price of the stones according to their grade BEFORE the enhancement (say, these could have been G, I2-3? turned SI). So there are many things which could have justified the bargain status.
2.gif

The appraiser described fracture filling. When I asked about laser drilled he stated that they were definitely not drilled. He stated that the value decreased by 20% because of the clarity enhancement.

I appreciate your re-assurance. Any other opinions?

DaveN

Rough_Rock
I presented the earrings to my wife today and they were a hit! I've been trying to photograph them but w/o success. (I've read the threads on taking good photos but my Canon 300D w/ 28-135IS lens is not ideal).

Since she is happy, I'm happy with my purchase. I had forgotten how excited a diamond,or two, can make a woman.
I still wonder how well I did dollar wise....

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results