shape
carat
color
clarity

Too good to be true? Online EGL diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

lovefinally

Rough_Rock
My boyfriend bought my diamond for my engagement ring online and it arrives in 2 days. It seems like an amazing deal, but I''m curious to see how amazing it is. No worries, though, this company has a 30 day money back guarantee. Here are the specs:

Weight: 1.70 Ct
Proportions:
Shape: Round Brilliant
Depth: 61.2%
Width: 58%
Height: 14%
Pavilion depth: 44%
Girdle thickness: medium
Finish:
Polish: Excellent
Symmetry: Excellent
Clarity: SI1
Color: J
Fluorescence: MB
COST: $4,430!!!

The company also says it inspects the diamond before shipping to make sure it is eye-clean. If there is anything seriously wrong with it, they suggest an alternative diamond.

I''ll let you all know how it looks and post pictures, too! Wish me luck!

YoungPapa

Shiny_Rock
Trade
lovefinally,

Congratulations on your purchase. I don''t want to be a spoiler, but that diamond is being sold to you for around 50% of the Rapaport published price. While discounts to this list are common and often steep, 50% usually indicates a problem with the diamond. It could mean the SI1 is visible, centered and dark, or that the color is more light brown than light yellow.

Regardless, let us know what the dealer has to say and post those pictures when you can.

All the best,

strmrdr

Super_Ideal_Rock
Like Jim I suspect that the grading is soft based on the price.
That can be ok if you love the diamond and got a fair price.
Figuring out if you got a fair price is the hard part.
I recommended an independent appraiser review the stone with you.
https://www.pricescope.com/appr_list.aspx

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thritto the gentlemens advice above!

lovefinally

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the replies. I''m really curious to see what this baby looks like. Only one more day!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
It might look very nice, but likely it will be more imperfect and/or more dark in color than what is stated based on GIA grading strategy. If you don''t care about exact color or clarity grades, but more about looks and budget, it may be a perfect fit for you.
If you care a whole lot about exact representation of color/clarity, then you will likely find a problem. Prices asked are excellent clues to what may prove to be reasons for the apparent discount. Best of luck.

lovefinally

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the tips. I don''t care about minor flaws in a diamond. I don''t suspect someone will be coming up to be with a jeweler''s loupe. I do care about color to an extent, but I am color blind! Luckily, my artist boyfriend, will make sure it is not ugly. :)

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Is that pure northern daylight I see?

Neil Beaty
GG(GIA) ICGA(AGS) NAJA
Professional Appraisals in Denver

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Good one Garry!
I agree with just about everything written so far.
It''s highly unlikely the diamond would grade J/SI1 if GIA had it.
That does not mean it''s not a good diamond for you.

My main concern in these type of situations is sellers that conveniently forget to mention that they are selling a diamond which is ( hopefully) worth the price they are selling it for- instead choosing to allow the buyer to believe the stone is equivalent to a stone graded by GIA, which is actually worth a lot more.

Good Luck Lovefinally- It''s a large stone for the money- I hope you love t!

oldminer

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Garry; At least the NYC EGL lab looks better. Of course, the food selection isn''t as good so close to the entrance door.

purrfectpear

Ideal_Rock
FWIW, in April of last year I purchased a 2.06 pear, L, absolutely eyeclean SI2, GIA, cut grade 1B, diamond from Whiteflash at under $5K (I don''t remember exact number $4600 or $4800).

Deals do occur, though rare
2.gif

Judah Gutwein

Shiny_Rock
Trade
That pic. is a riot, wonder how you got your hands on it?...would love to know
1.gif

Yes, EGL NYC is much nicer!

jbsteven

Rough_Rock
please tell me that picture is photoshopped.

Garry H (Cut Nut)

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
Date: 3/11/2009 4:51:56 PM
Author: Judah Gutwein
That pic. is a riot, wonder how you got your hands on it?...would love to know
1.gif

Yes, EGL NYC is much nicer!
It is less than 24 hours old, I happened to be walking past.
I cropped it.
Other than that it is as is.
In fairness yesterday was a public holiday in India for Holi which is a fun celebration where people throw coloured die at each other.

lovefinally

Rough_Rock
I just saw the diamond and I must say that I LOVE it! It is very beautiful and to be honest, it looks better than any diamond I''ve seen in jewelry stores. I tried to take some pictures, but they didn''t come out well. I will try it again tonight and post! I''m so excited, though. I can''t wait to share. :)

sparklestick

Shiny_Rock
I am so pleased for you and can''t wait to see it.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Can''t wait to see pics! I also have an EGL stone, and it''s a stunner. It sounds like yours is too, congrats!

lovefinally

Rough_Rock
I just went to jared and looked at the diamond under the scope. It is awesome! There is 1 very small visible inclusion that I can barely see with my naked eye. The color is great and I can''t see any hint of yellow. It may be the fluorescence countering it. I am no longer an EGL sceptic. I will post pics soon !!!
30.gif

MikeRato1

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/12/2009 8:35:18 PM
Author: lovefinally
I just went to jared and looked at the diamond under the scope. It is awesome! There is 1 very small visible inclusion that I can barely see with my naked eye. The color is great and I can''t see any hint of yellow. It may be the fluorescence countering it. I am no longer an EGL sceptic. I will post pics soon !!!
30.gif
good for you, congratulations!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ooh can''t wait to see it set. Don''t forget to post handshots.. that is quite a stone 1.7! congrats

lovefinally

Rough_Rock
Here''s a "hand shot" of the diamond. ;-)

lovefinallyhanddiamond.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results