shape
carat
color
clarity

Too good to be True Diamond?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

classicvirgo

Rough_Rock
Hello, I''ve been shopping around for 2ct round stone for solitaire E-ring and found a 2.3 ct round F SI2 (clean)

The cut is VG, VG, G.
Table 58%
Depth 62%
no flourescence

This stone is being priced -16 back. I''ve seen it and it''s eye clean, but I can''t really tell if it''s completely eye clean because of the lighting of the room when I was viewing the diamond.

I don''t know too much about diamonds, but is it true that you shouldn''t get a diamond that big in SI2? And if you do get a diamond that big in SI2 you shouldn''t get it in a higher grade color, instead should stick with G or H?

All these information and combination of characteristics'' driving me up the wall! Thanks for your comments!
32.gif

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
If it has a GIA or AGS certificate, it's priced competitively. Otherwise, it's probably overpriced.

Does it have a certificate? Can you provide all the information on the cert for us?

Even if the stone is competitively priced, that doesn't mean it's the stone for you. You want to make sure you aren't paying a huge chunk of change for a stone with a mediocre cut first.

You wouldn't go higher in color just because you're getting SI2 clarity. If the stone really faces up eye-clean and you're comfortable with SI2, go for it, but that shouldn't have any impact on the color you decide is best for you. If you're not really color sensitive, I'd recommend going with G or H as you mentioned (or I or J or . . .) because you can save a lot of money or get a bigger stone with minimal visual difference (as long as you are not against warmer colors).

Ask for a loupe and the plot of the inclusions. If they're really trying to make a sale, they'll take the time to show you the inclusions and assure you that they won't be visible.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Which lab graded this stone? And what is the crown and pavilion angle?

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color is irrelevant. You need to see the stone in natural lighting and with a loupe to see what the inclusions look like (i.e. you might not want cracks).

"Too good to be true" is usually correct. If the price is too good, there is a problem.

Is this stone graded by GIA? List the crown and pavilion angles.

(ETA: Stone Cold types faster than me
2.gif
)

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 4/15/2009 5:44:55 PM
Author:classicvirgo
Hello, I''ve been shopping around for 2ct round stone for solitaire E-ring and found a 2.3 ct round F SI2 (clean)

The cut is VG, VG, G.
Table 58%
Depth 62%
no flourescence

This stone is being priced -16 back. I''ve seen it and it''s eye clean, but I can''t really tell if it''s completely eye clean because of the lighting of the room when I was viewing the diamond.

I don''t know too much about diamonds, but is it true that you shouldn''t get a diamond that big in SI2? And if you do get a diamond that big in SI2 you shouldn''t get it in a higher grade color, instead should stick with G or H?

All these information and combination of characteristics'' driving me up the wall! Thanks for your comments!
32.gif
16% back of Rap means nothing
38.gif
if its a terrible cut,heck there''re some stones on Ebay that are 30% back i wouldn''t touch with a 10 ft pole.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 5:55:02 PM
Author: diamondseeker2006
(ETA: Stone Cold types faster than me
2.gif
)

Heh, I typed only a line. :p

classicvirgo

Rough_Rock
I forgot to mention that it is GIA certified.

Not 100% sure, but I think I remember the following specs:

Crown Angle: 35.5
Pavillion Angle: 41
Girdle: Medium to Slightly Thick
Lower Half: 75

phoenixgirl

Ideal_Rock
Oh, I misinterpreted the price to mean $16k. Disregard my pricing comments unless, magically, they still apply . . .? But you can still use the comparisons to see the big price difference between GIA/AGS vs. the other guys.

stone-cold11

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/15/2009 6:20:24 PM
Author: classicvirgo

From the angles, this stone will not perform well optically, there will be light leakage from the pavilion, making the stone less lively.

Daisi2112

Shiny_Rock
Agree.

Kelli

Ideal_Rock
Me too. I''d look for one with a better cut before worrying about color and clarity. A great cut is what will have the most visual impact and make the stone a sparkler in ALL kinds of lighting!

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Not a good choice.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Pass on this one, it is what we call a steep deep. This means the crown and pavilion angles are too steep and deep to work well together, light leakage is very often the result which is detrimental to the beauty of the diamond.

classicvirgo

Rough_Rock
THank you everyone for your input!

Stone-Cold:

I wanted to delve a little deeper into your comment. Do you think this way because the lower half is 75? I was just curious how to tell by the angles and lower pavillion if it''s not cut well. Are you following some kind of ideal cut perimeter?

Date: 4/15/2009 6:42:34 PM
Author: Stone-cold11

From the angles, this stone will not perform well optically, there will be light leakage from the pavilion, making the stone less lively.

LadyBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I will suggest for an Excellent or an Ideal cut. I''m sure you will see the difference, this stones can shine like sun
41.gif

Cut it''s the most important C. (Cut, Color, Clarity and Size)

Good luck!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results