shape
carat
color
clarity

Too big for a ring?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Is nearly 4 carats too big for a ring? It''s a 9mm round stone that I''d love to put in a baguette sidestone setting. Just wondering what folks think about this size... Thanks!
1.gif

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not for me at all. However, some people like smaller stones and they have more delicate taste. It''s really a matter of taste. Do I think a 30 carat stone is too big for a ring, well maybe.
2.gif
9.gif

FrekeChild

Super_Ideal_Rock
Depends. I have a 1.2ct ering and mostly smaller other than that. But then I have my 24ct monstrosity...

I think I'd knock it around a lot though...

oldmancoyote

Brilliant_Rock
9mm can be OK. It depends on whether the stone (and setting) is something that shouts or whispers... what is it?

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
sounds small to me, but then my spess is 8.18 carats.....and my cabs set in silver are monsters. i''m not one for small, delicate settings but like the larger, bolder look.

mz

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What size are your fingers? If you''re a size 2 then it''ll look HUGE. If you''re a size 7 then it''ll look great with brilliant finger coverage.

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
That depends on what size of gemstone you like in a ring. For me it''d be too big - I love big pieces on other people just not on myself.

Kismet

Ideal_Rock
It''s not too big for me, but it will depend on your preferences and finger size.

Fox2009

Rough_Rock
I don''t think it is. My aunt has a 10 carat diamond ring, that is beautiful, but almost looks like a cartoon ring!:) But, my Ma has a 5 carat diamond ring that, while huge, looks great, even on her small hands. I think it has a lot to do with the setting and with the stone, and 9mm doesn''t sound SUPER huge.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 1:38:20 PM
Author: Fox2009
I don''t think it is. My aunt has a 10 carat diamond ring, that is beautiful, but almost looks like a cartoon ring!:) But, my Ma has a 5 carat diamond ring that, while huge, looks great, even on her small hands. I think it has a lot to do with the setting and with the stone, and 9mm doesn''t sound SUPER huge.

Whoa, I''d love to meet your aunt!
3.gif

The stone I''m talking about is the blue topaz on Barry''s site. He''s said if that one sells, he''ll just cut me another. The finger I''d wear it on would be about a 5.5, so it sounds like this size it not all that crazy. It just sounds HUGE to me since my e-ring is .55 carats and about 5mm, so 9mm is like WHOA! But probably in a good way.
2.gif

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Love big rings with gemstones or diamonds. Wear them on a regular basis, finger is sized 5.5. All a matter of personal taste.

cheers--Sharon

platinumrock

Ideal_Rock
There''s no such thing as too big.
31.gif

simplysplendid

Brilliant_Rock
Me love big rings! My right hand ring finger is a size 4 and I have gemstone rings that are 6/7 cts or bigger and I love them..

Fox2009

Rough_Rock
Lol, I wish I had a pic of my Aunt''s ring, it''s amazing.

You know, I think a good all around rule is just to keep the size in a range so that it won''t be dangerous to others (reflections from the sun crash planes/an accidental hand touch knocks someone over, etc.)
19.gif

In all seriousness, 4 carats sounds like it would be "Whoah!" in a good way!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/27/2009 2:47:28 PM

You know, I think a good all around rule is just to keep the size in a range so that it won''t be dangerous to others (reflections from the sun crash planes/an accidental hand touch knocks someone over, etc.)
19.gif

In all seriousness, 4 carats sounds like it would be ''Whoah!'' in a good way!
It also depends on the type of stone as well. A four carat amethyst or pyrope garnet, while very attractive, wouldn''t be super jaw dropping like a 4 carat diamond. Something about a diamond, once it''s over a carat in size, seems huge.

BWise

Brilliant_Rock
Ditto - a 4ct topaz has completely different effect than a 4ct diamond. The latter will be a lot more flashy regardless how modest the setting is. (though I wouldn''t mind to be that flashy at all!). Barry''s round cut at 9mm is just lovely. What kind of blue do you have in mind? And there can be many different beautiful settings for a blue 9mm.

Date: 3/27/2009 3:49:18 PM
Author: tourmaline_lover
Date: 3/27/2009 2:47:28 PM

19.gif

In all seriousness, 4 carats sounds like it would be ''Whoah!'' in a good way!

It also depends on the type of stone as well. A four carat amethyst or pyrope garnet, while very attractive, wouldn''t be super jaw dropping like a 4 carat diamond. Something about a diamond, once it''s over a carat in size, seems huge.

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I sort of like balance between my e-ring and rings I''d wear on my right hand. I think it is a little disproportionate when the e-ring is a lot smaller than the right hand ring. In your case, I''d probably look for colored stones at 1-2 cts.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
While I agree with diamondseeker2006 about the proportion to your e-ring, I also think that stone of Barry''s is beautiful and the price is great! Why not get it and see how you feel once it arrives? I''m thinking that if you go for a simple setting, it might work. Otherwise, you could set it in a pendant. 9mm for a pendant would be awesome!

DiamanteBlu

Ideal_Rock
Too big? No way! My almost 7 carat EC [with baguettes] and RB are nowhere near to big on my size 4 [with 5.75 knuckle] finger. Pics are floating around here somewhere.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Initially, when I wore my 5 ct spess (10mm x 10mm), I felt rather ackward. Not only that, I had a halo around it and have a size 4.25 finger. Let me tell you; I got use to it pretty quick and loved wearing it almost everyday. The only problem is that all my other 2ct and 3 ct stones look tiny by comparison now.
9.gif

Rockit

Shiny_Rock
Most definitely not too big. Sounds lovely.

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
I love icekid''s gorgeous sapphire ring with the colored center and the diamond baguettes. I would love
30.gif
to do that with a blue topaz (electric blue or London blue are both cool) since this would be a birthstone ring of my husband''s birthstone (December baby) and I''m an April girl, so putting diamonds in there would make it sort of a couple birthstone ring. I would NOT halo a 9mm stone on my hand, like diamondseeker said, that would be wildly disproportionate from my e-ring. I could also prbably have Barry cut a smaller stone...

Since I''m just finishing one project, it''ll be a while before I can do another one (unless a ton of friends buy Whiteflash rings...), but if I land that "first professional job" soon, you all know what I''d buy.
31.gif

Asscherhalo_lover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
it''ll be great! i have a 4+ ct sapphire cushion cut that''s a bit over 9x9 set with double baguettes, it''s an awesome size!

CravingDiamonds

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I don''t think that is too big at all. To me, I like bigger rings, but some people do not. If you are interested in it and can afford it at a good price, then I say go for it. Take the chance. You could always put it into something else besides a ring if you don''t like it.

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
rubybeth - are you going to get the stone? It is lovely!

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Rubybeth, I think a 4 carat coloured stone is not too big. Just for some perspective. Here''s my 9 carat tourmaline set in a simple 18K WG setting and my smoky topaz (don''t remember the specs but it''s pretty big too)

Here''s the pink tourmaline.

PinkTourmalineRing.JPG

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Deleted - double post.

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Here''s the smoky topaz. Just for perspective, my ring size is 5&1/2.

SmokytopazRing.JPG

rubybeth

Ideal_Rock
Wow, what fabulous rings, DiaDiva! I don''t think I could go that large, but those are aweomse.
3.gif

Cinnamon: I''m going to have to wait on buying the topaz, but I''m definitely going to keep my eye out for the perfect setting and start saving my pennies.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results