shape
carat
color
clarity

Tolkowsky Brand Diamond

kmtkwong

Rough_Rock
Hello Everyone,

I am new to PS forum. I find this website is super awesome with a lot of educational informations. I would like to see the opinions or advices on the Tolkowsky Brand Diamond from Kay. Apparently I am offered a quite a deal on the following diamond:

1 ct, G, VS1, ideal cut, IGI certification, H and As with nice Tolkowsky proportions described below:

Depth % Table % Crown Pavillion Culet HCA score Dimension
61.1 56.5 33.5 40.7 0 0.9 (E/E/E) 6.34x6.38x3.88

They offered me this diamond for $6600 including Tiffiany style platinum setting.

Is it a good deal? Thanks for your input.

Kelvin

Mrs W

Brilliant_Rock
IGI grades diamonds softer than GIA and AGS labs so you could be paying more for a lower color and clarity diamond. However, I did a search for diamonds with lower color and clarity and they costed more than this diamond you presented that also comes with a plat setting. I would get the ring appraised or sent to GIA/AGS before I went through with this purchase to get an accurate color and clarity and also check to see if this diamond is really a H&A. You may also want to buy an idealscope or go to an appraiser who will get an ideascope image for you to check if this diamond has light leakage. Is this a ring second-hand? If everything checks our correct this would be a good deal... Another issue though, do you plan to upgrade the diamond later? If so, if this ring is second hand or comes from the kay store I would be sure I was okay with that upgrade policy. I do know WF, BGD, and GOG have very good upgrade policies and you may want to look into that if you plan to upgrade later in the future. Just some thoughts, I'm sure other will chime in and add more advice.

Linked are diamonds are compared the one you posted to:

http://www.goodoldgold.com/diamond/8426/

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-104051364003

http://www.briangavindiamonds.com/diamond/diamond-detail/?product_id=AGS-1040397620006

kmtkwong

Rough_Rock
Thanks Mrs W for your input. My Ideal-scope is on the way. It is a brand new diamond. It is a branded diamond exclusive to Kay. I saw the arrows only with the HnA scope since the diamond is set on a ring. The Gemex report showed nice arrow pattern. I do like the idea of having it appraised. Kay offers 60 day refund policy anyway. I think its upgrade policy is okay but not great. You have to buy something 2 times as much in your next purchase.

It is IGI G/VS1 which can be GIA H/VS2. The price seems really good compared to what being offered online. :shock:

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
kmtkwong|1315428979|3011997 said:
Thanks Mrs W for your input. My Ideal-scope is on the way. It is a brand new diamond. It is a branded diamond exclusive to Kay. I saw the arrows only with the HnA scope since the diamond is set on a ring. The Gemex report showed nice arrow pattern. I do like the idea of having it appraised. Kay offers 60 day refund policy anyway. I think its upgrade policy is okay but not great. You have to buy something 2 times as much in your next purchase.

It is IGI G/VS1 which can be GIA H/VS2. The price seems really good compared to what being offered online. :shock:

If you choose to have it appraised use an independent appraiser (one who does not sell diamonds/jewelry and has no vested interest in the appraisal outcome). You can search for one here.

https://www.pricescope.com/appraisers

A GIA/AGS G VS1 H&A should be around $11,500 for the diamond based on a comparison search for a stone of the same specs. That being said, it is highly likely that the stone has been graded loosely and will be off more than 1 grade in color and clarity. Until you have the stone sent to GIA or AGS you have no idea what you are buying and you could be possibly paying too much.

kmtkwong

Rough_Rock
Thanks for all the input. Once I get the diamon, I will take it for appraisal as well as an AB comparison with GIA stones from other stores. I guess this is the best way to tell if I am getting what it claims to be.

Thanks again.

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kmtkwong|1315428979|3011997 said:

believe me...there AIN'T no Santa Claus in the diamond business... ;))

Dancing Fire

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
kmtkwong|1315640497|3014281 said:
Thanks for all the input. Once I get the diamon, I will take it for appraisal as well as an AB comparison with GIA stones from other stores. I guess this is the best way to tell if I am getting what it claims to be.

Thanks again.
don't waste your money b/c you can't buy a 1ct G VS1 for $6000

crbl999

Brilliant_Rock
Dancing Fire|1315645159|3014296 said:
kmtkwong|1315640497|3014281 said:

Thanks again.
don't waste your money b/c you can't buy a 1ct G VS1 for $6000

Ditto...an appraisal will not do much for you in terms of finding out what the stone actually is. You need to send it to GIA or AGS...this is the BEST way of finding out what it actually is. Once the diamond is set...true color can not be determined because the a graded table down looking through the pavilion. I wouldn't waste any more time or money on this stone...if it sounds too good to be true...it probably is.

Moosejaw

Shiny_Rock
Premium
HI Kelvin,

I spent a lot of time on here, in a very similar position back in 2003. I was searching for the perfect stone etc, and have since learned a ton about the industry.

While I now prefer gemstones to diamonds, if I were to purchase a diamond it would not be from a big mall/outlet store like Kay or Jared. In addition, I wouldn't even consider a brick and mortar retail store.

There are so many reputable online dealers of diamonds that I wouldn't hesitate to purchase from them.

At this moment, I would consider goodoldgold.com as the top place to purchase a stone. They have quite a selection in stock, and they are typically cut to ideal proportions which most retailers ignore or downplay.

If you are purchasing from out of state as well you do not have to pay sales tax, so right off the bat you will have saved a minimum of $600+ dollars.

Anyways, that's my two cents.

PS: Jewelers are ruthless, as I just found out when my wife's diamond cracked.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results