carat
color
clarity

Toi Et Moi ring? HELP

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hi Guys

So I have this 6.8mm diamond in a pendant that I rarely wear.

I was thinking of yanking it out and making a Toi Et Moi ring with my 5.1mm pad sapphire.

Is that going to look weird because of the size difference?

Do I need a diamond pendant and will I regret it if I yank it out?

Any other thoughts?

HELP!

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Do I need a diamond pendant and will I regret it if I yank it out?

I don't think so. If you are not wearing your diamond pendant now I don't think you will miss it. Of course our taste/preferences might change as time goes on so what you might want in the future is challenging to predict. I would go with how you are feeling right now and if you don't wear and adore your pendant reset it in something you will enjoy wearing.

As for different size stones in this ring I personally prefer symmetry but again there is no one right answer. It's what you like and what your preferences are.

Here are a variety of examples. Different sizes and shapes.
https://theeyeofjewelry.com/jewelry/top-8-toi-et-moi-rings/

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
oooh thanks for that Missy!

I am not too fussed as I am a cheapskate and would like to recycle the diamond. Plus it is a nice diamond so will be biggish and sparkly with the stone.

I wanted to check that it wouldn't look bizzare as I don't have an eye for these things!

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post a pic of both stones together?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you post a pic of both stones together?

Good idea! I shall try that tomorrow! The diamond is still in a pendant but I'll try to balance it!

voce

Ideal_Rock
I like symmetry as well, but I have an idea of how to make them more balanced in size. :twisted2:

Ready? :twisted2:

Apply different size halos to the stones. Use 1mm melee around the 7mm diamond, and 2mm melee around the 5mm pad. Then the diameters of both will be approximately 10mm. Personally I'd go all out and use yellow diamonds around the diamond and mint garnets around the pad. =) But you'll have to go with whatever is feasible, since I don't know your budget.:halo:

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I like symmetry as well, but I have an idea of how to make them more balanced in size. :twisted2:

Ready? :twisted2:

Apply different size halos to the stones. Use 1mm melee around the 7mm diamond, and 2mm melee around the 5mm pad. Then the diameters of both will be approximately 10mm. Personally I'd go all out and use yellow diamonds around the diamond and mint garnets around the pad. =) But you'll have to go with whatever is feasible, since I don't know your budget.:halo:

Good ideas!

Or don’t halo the diamond, but halo the sapphire. That way, if symmetry is important, that makes them look closer in size.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
What sort of T-E-M design do you have in mind? I think I'd be bothered by the size difference and one being halo-ed but the other not. I would consider a design where they will balance out in size by making it part of the design (think flower petal, leaf, or some such) but this will add to the cost of the setting.

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Here are two ideas I found on PS for stones with different sizes and even shapes. If asymmetry puts you off though, it might not be your thing, but at least you get an idea that it can be done.

2671b-455.jpg CHAM0000435.1G.png

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OP, so you are talking a 6.8mm round diamond and a 5.1mm round Pad, right?

This is a Stuller setting, with a 6x4mm oval which is halo'd, and a 3.1mm round - so of course not matching your stone shapes or sizes, but I posted it to show how design factors like negative space and prong placement can affect a Toi Et Moi design ...
Stuller

https://www.stuller.com/products/71903/?groupId=194406

I am totally confident you can come up with a beautiful design incorporating both of your stones!

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
OMG I love you guys! I think I will keep it super mismatched. It really doesn't bother me at all from the pics! They are two completely different stones so of course they are going to mismatch!

I shall see if I can manage this! I don't mind the mismatch at all!

voce

Ideal_Rock
@mellowyellowgirl I was doodling for fun and came up with this cat shape design for your stones. What do you think? Sorry if it's kind of complicated.
IMG_20190509_223057861.jpg
The stones are roughly to scale. The pad would be the cat face, and all the others are diamonds for the cat ears, cat body, and tail.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That is amazing @voce but way out of my scope I think! I have a few projects on right now so I was hoping to recycle the diamond and at the same time stick the small but mighty pad with a bigger sparkly stone to give the ring some pizzaz.

Your idea in incredible though!!!! You should execute it!!!!!!!

I reckon it would be a full on David Klass or the likes project! Way out of reach for my local guy!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Yeah, I guess that is true, not everybody can execute it. I don't have the stones to execute the design, and I'm still paying off my dream ruby ring project, which I'll show you if I visit Australia this year. You're in Sydney, right?

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Yeah, I guess that is true, not everybody can execute it. I don't have the stones to execute the design, and I'm still paying off my dream ruby ring project, which I'll show you if I visit Australia this year. You're in Sydney, right?

YES!!! OMG Are you visiting????

We can lunch!!!!!!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Not anytime soon, and I definitely haven't decided to visit. If I do, it would probably be in Nov-Dec? When my brother is out of uni on break.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Come in Summer! Summer is REALLY nice if you don't hit one of our crazy heat waves.

Let me know if you do visit! Would love to see you and wear out some gems! Lol I will wear 4 rings out!!!

voce

Ideal_Rock
Come in Summer! Summer is REALLY nice if you don't hit one of our crazy heat waves.

Let me know if you do visit! Would love to see you and wear out some gems! Lol I will wear 4 rings out!!!
I will definitely let you know if I visit. I'm probably going to be bringing more than 4 :twisted2: in a travelling zip jewelry box.

mellowyellowgirl

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Haha I have in recent years tried to look more presentable when I travel. When I was younger I looked very very unkempt. Singlets and skirt kind of thing.

Now that I have my 20s body back Pink Bandit is like "You should have kept those tacky short dresses! You looked hot in them and you fit into them again now." :lol:

voce

Ideal_Rock
Haha I have in recent years tried to look more presentable when I travel. When I was younger I looked very very unkempt. Singlets and skirt kind of thing.

Now that I have my 20s body back Pink Bandit is like "You should have kept those tacky short dresses! You looked hot in them and you fit into them again now." :lol:
Woohoo 20s body! Congrats and good job getting it back!

I still have much of my 20s wardrobe, but I've definitely donated away my clubbing tops. I spent much of my earlier 20s in LA, and fresh out of school my friends just loved to go clubbing at night, and I went along with them just to get attention from guys. Now I only need attention from DF so no need for those tops!

Rfisher

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I feel the specialness of the two stones need to be on the same level.
More so than the size/shape matching.
A well matched toi et moi is a sight to behold- don't get me wrong!
But this one from Romanov as an example just works IMO:
You_Doodle_2019-05-15T20_55_17Z.jpg
I'm not suggesting this design for you - just pointing out the shape /size difference as an example.

Reactions: prs
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results