shape
carat
color
clarity

Todays pawn shop finds [Im so excited I don't know what to do with myself!!!]

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
So DH and I decide to head out and hit the next town to get some fresh air and sunshine amidst the covid blah blah blah. We map out our route and KNEW we were going to hit pawn shops all the way back home one by one. Some we passed on [too shady] but most we stopped. Disclaimer-I was born with a horseshoe up my bum [favorite family saying] but we have had ZERO luck at pawn shops in the past year.

Shop 1-garbage, nothing.
Shop 2-what do I see among the rubble? 2 cases filled with dark patina gold CRAP.. loaded with trays of 1970's throw aways. I spent 20 minutes starring through this glass looking for a treasure. And what do I see? A diamond and ruby band. Knowing what ebay would cost to pick one up this size, it was worth a look see. The man had no idea what he was talking about. I asked several questions [I had no idea it was Junior eyeing me up from the corner of the store that was in charge]. My salesman said to me "oh these are real" right after I asked "do you test for real gemstones?" and he said NO.. :| But they do test gold and they do test diamonds [I have a diamond tester at home I wasn't worried]. Then he walks away and says let me see what I can see on these. Two minutes later he yells through the store "how much do you want me to work on this?" I said I was interested, and he says "where are you comfortable?" It is a 14k band and was marked $350. Junior comes up from the corner, looks at the screen and says "I can do $275 on this best and final". DONE! Here is our first score of the day: [picture 1 has the 2 new bands from today-the 2nd story is below-pic 2 contains bands from Maven lane in the middle-with the outer bands from todays pawn shop finds]

IMG_9846.JPG IMG_9828.JPG IMG_9827.JPG

Pawn shop #3 [we hit the MOTHER LOAD!!!]
So we walked in, and again this shop was much larger, much cleaner, but still only had 2 cases of goodies to look through. It was much less cluttered and I instantly found some pieces to look at. The first was this gorgeous diamond half eternity. It was marked $199!!! And has a hallmark that I have to look up. 14k and dirty as all get out. They don't clean anything!! So they really have no idea what they have. The super nice lady says "are you interested? it's $199". I said..that depends.. if it's negotiable I'm interested. She says "$100 and it's yours" .. SOLD!!! but this.. does not compare..to what I saw next.. Are you ready for this? I sure as HELL wasn't.
We looked around more at some really NEAT antiques and a lot of old machinery and tinker tools from the 50's. We circled back to the case and DH says "I know you're eyeing those earrings". I didn't even SEE the earrings. There were 2 pair of diamond studs in the case. Out front the first pair of studs were dark and had specs.. nothing spectacular even for a deal. But hidden in back of them was another pair. And they were in the dark, shadowed by a box up front. I asked her to pull them out and they were glitter bombs. I was scared ya'll LOL.. dead set scared. The alarms went off... no way are these real.. Then I checked out the box.. THEY WERE COSTCO STUDS!!! Did you ever just .. find something in a store and start looking around as if you're being watched..and don't dare put it down because you know if you do it will be snatched up like the last 80% sweater at macys??!!?? LOL.. so I started with the questions.. I knew she would give me a deal..but wanted to know more. SHE SAID they were "1.17 cttw". And I was like..wait .. she must be wrong.. I have 1.2 cttw at home..these were bigger. She got the manager.. he gave me the low down. Now you KNOW I looked these up and down. And then got the DH involved.. We thought they were probably SI1s but I made the mistake in front of them and said SI2's. He went to his pc and was talking with the girl "ok well let's do I1 pricing and they are an H in color". Then he looked at me and said "GIA would grade these an I1 so that's the pricing I'll give you"..... Ya'll...he had no idea who he was talking to. These were NO WAY I1's. I felt like I was I was in the twilight zone. So he gives me the price breakdown. One for cash, one for credit. The banks were closed, so we had to go the debit card route [cash is always better because they don't have to pay the banks a processing fee].

We get these studs home.. I took out every tool I owned. The caliper, the scale..the testers..everything. Everything is real. I then got my 1.2cttw earrings out to compare. THESE ARE NOT 1.17 CTTW..THESE MEASURED 1.68 CTTW!!!!!! My 1.2 were 4.88mm in size, these were 6mm each, which comes out to 1.68cttw [.84mm each]. In the 3rd photo below you can see the smaller ones I already owned and see it's smaller.

IMG_9813.JPG IMG_9819.JPG IMG_9821.JPG IMG_9834.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_9822.JPG
    IMG_9822.JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_9834.JPG
    IMG_9834.JPG
    188.5 KB · Views: 11

ItsMainelyYou

Ideal_Rock
Oooooh, shut your face :lol: You did amazing, holy sh@t balls good.
My cheap little heart is proud of you:love:

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, great scores!!!!
I keep telling you guys that pawn shop are where it's at!
But ....are you comfortable sharing the price on the studs?

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
So I’m dying to know what he charged you for those I1 diamond studs!

YadaYadaYada

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, well that is a really good day right there. Those studs… :kiss2:

DAF

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I :kiss2: pawn shops! You scored some beauties today. Enjoy them!

My best score was a large WG ring with champagne colored diamonds on top of black rhodium with a rim of white diamonds around the perimeter of each petal. The price tag stated $575, I talked them down to $ 425.00. About a year later I was browsing eBay and saw the same ring for $ 1,600.00.

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Oooooh, shut your face :lol: You did amazing, holy sh@t balls good.
My cheap little heart is proud of you:love:

I just about peed myself.. TY TY TY hahahahahhahah.. I scream that exact same phrase when you all find the deals!!!! my cheap little heart loves your cheap little heart toooooo bahhahahahah

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
[are you sitting down?]

My studs cost $1650!!!!!!

That's amazing! Now when you go back to that shop they will roll the red carpet out for you. They will know you are a serious customer and offer you great deals!
And those two bands are stunning as well!!

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
That's amazing! Now when you go back to that shop they will roll the red carpet out for you. They will know you are a serious customer and offer you great deals!
And those two bands are stunning as well!!

Thanks.. I hope so! I'm pretty freaking excited.

Mreader

Ideal_Rock
Wow, great scores!!!!
I keep telling you guys that pawn shop are where it's at!
But ....are you comfortable sharing the price on the studs?

I want to know too hahahahaha!

Edit - nm I see you did. That’s an amazing price! Congratulations on such wonderful finds!

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Amazing finds! I need to start visiting more pawn shops

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Amazing finds! I need to start visiting more pawn shops

We had to hit the ones an hour outside of town..because none of the local shops had squat. I was not hopeful when we ventured out this morning but you just NEVER know what you're going to find!!

Sparkles88

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Woohoooo! I’m so excited for you, I love hearing stories of treasures found :appl::appl::appl:.
What a bargain!!!

Sprinkles&Stones

Brilliant_Rock
Amazing!!! Great job! I love stories like this

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@blingmeupscotty
I keep re-reading your story, and the Twilight Zone comment makes me laugh every time!
The pawnshop guys like to act knowledgeable and talk uneducated customers into a sale.
It can be hard to keep a straight face when we know more than they do about their jewelry!

MamaBee

Super_Ideal_Rock
Wow! What a deal! Since they are Costco studs they have to be at least vs2 I color! They’re beautiful!

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
@blingmeupscotty
I keep re-reading your story, and the Twilight Zone comment makes me laugh every time!
The pawnshop guys like to act knowledgeable and talk uneducated customers into a sale.
It can be hard to keep a straight face when we know more than they do about their jewelry!

TRUTH!!!! And today we're hitting more!!

stracci2000

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TRUTH!!!! And today we're hitting more!!

Good luck! Bring cash and maybe they won't charge you tax.
There are 13 pawn shops local to me, and I've been in 11. Gotta get to those other two....

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I just realized my 14k band came from Kay jewelers! I found the hallmark

KAY JEWELERS

Hallmark(s)
: "Stylecrest", "De Roy", "Kay Star", "Lectel", "Multi-Facet"
Information: Kay Jewelers, Inc. was founded in 1916 by Edmond & Sol Kaufmann, in Reading, Pennsylvania. It has since expanded, becoming the second largest mall jewelry chain in the United States. Worked primarily in gold, silver, platinum, and other non-precious metals. I don't know what the 24 means though. Maybe points?

IMG_9849.jpg IMG_9848.jpg

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Good job! Happy for all your treasures!

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
So DH and I decide to head out and hit the next town to get some fresh air and sunshine amidst the covid blah blah blah. We map out our route and KNEW we were going to hit pawn shops all the way back home one by one. Some we passed on [too shady] but most we stopped. Disclaimer-I was born with a horseshoe up my bum [favorite family saying] but we have had ZERO luck at pawn shops in the past year.

Shop 1-garbage, nothing.
Shop 2-what do I see among the rubble? 2 cases filled with dark patina gold CRAP.. loaded with trays of 1970's throw aways. I spent 20 minutes starring through this glass looking for a treasure. And what do I see? A diamond and ruby band. Knowing what ebay would cost to pick one up this size, it was worth a look see. The man had no idea what he was talking about. I asked several questions [I had no idea it was Junior eyeing me up from the corner of the store that was in charge]. My salesman said to me "oh these are real" right after I asked "do you test for real gemstones?" and he said NO.. :| But they do test gold and they do test diamonds [I have a diamond tester at home I wasn't worried]. Then he walks away and says let me see what I can see on these. Two minutes later he yells through the store "how much do you want me to work on this?" I said I was interested, and he says "where are you comfortable?" It is a 14k band and was marked $350. Junior comes up from the corner, looks at the screen and says "I can do $275 on this best and final". DONE! Here is our first score of the day: [picture 1 has the 2 new bands from today-the 2nd story is below-pic 2 contains bands from Maven lane in the middle-with the outer bands from todays pawn shop finds]

IMG_9846.JPG IMG_9828.JPG IMG_9827.JPG

Pawn shop #3 [we hit the MOTHER LOAD!!!]
So we walked in, and again this shop was much larger, much cleaner, but still only had 2 cases of goodies to look through. It was much less cluttered and I instantly found some pieces to look at. The first was this gorgeous diamond half eternity. It was marked $199!!! And has a hallmark that I have to look up. 14k and dirty as all get out. They don't clean anything!! So they really have no idea what they have. The super nice lady says "are you interested? it's $199". I said..that depends.. if it's negotiable I'm interested. She says "$100 and it's yours" .. SOLD!!! but this.. does not compare..to what I saw next.. Are you ready for this? I sure as HELL wasn't.
We looked around more at some really NEAT antiques and a lot of old machinery and tinker tools from the 50's. We circled back to the case and DH says "I know you're eyeing those earrings". I didn't even SEE the earrings. There were 2 pair of diamond studs in the case. Out front the first pair of studs were dark and had specs.. nothing spectacular even for a deal. But hidden in back of them was another pair. And they were in the dark, shadowed by a box up front. I asked her to pull them out and they were glitter bombs. I was scared ya'll LOL.. dead set scared. The alarms went off... no way are these real.. Then I checked out the box.. THEY WERE COSTCO STUDS!!! Did you ever just .. find something in a store and start looking around as if you're being watched..and don't dare put it down because you know if you do it will be snatched up like the last 80% sweater at macys??!!?? LOL.. so I started with the questions.. I knew she would give me a deal..but wanted to know more. SHE SAID they were "1.17 cttw". And I was like..wait .. she must be wrong.. I have 1.2 cttw at home..these were bigger. She got the manager.. he gave me the low down. Now you KNOW I looked these up and down. And then got the DH involved.. We thought they were probably SI1s but I made the mistake in front of them and said SI2's. He went to his pc and was talking with the girl "ok well let's do I1 pricing and they are an H in color". Then he looked at me and said "GIA would grade these an I1 so that's the pricing I'll give you"..... Ya'll...he had no idea who he was talking to. These were NO WAY I1's. I felt like I was I was in the twilight zone. So he gives me the price breakdown. One for cash, one for credit. The banks were closed, so we had to go the debit card route [cash is always better because they don't have to pay the banks a processing fee].

We get these studs home.. I took out every tool I owned. The caliper, the scale..the testers..everything. Everything is real. I then got my 1.2cttw earrings out to compare. THESE ARE NOT 1.17 CTTW..THESE MEASURED 1.68 CTTW!!!!!! My 1.2 were 4.88mm in size, these were 6mm each, which comes out to 1.68cttw [.84mm each]. In the 3rd photo below you can see the smaller ones I already owned and see it's smaller.

IMG_9813.JPG IMG_9819.JPG IMG_9821.JPG IMG_9834.JPG

Oh my lord. What a fun read! Thank you for sharing. Did you happen to pick up a lottery while coming home too? lol

Ibrakeforpossums

Ideal_Rock
I just about peed myself.. TY TY TY hahahahahhahah.. I scream that exact same phrase when you all find the deals!!!! my cheap little heart loves your cheap little heart toooooo bahhahahahah

You know what this is. You have rainbows coming out of your butt as well, but the horseshoe keeps them in there. Mr. CarParts has the same thing, I see it every week.
CONGRATULATIONS on your wonderful, well-played finds! So fun to see this.

SparklieBug

Brilliant_Rock
I'm LOVING this thread! I hope you found some more preciousessssss today!

My DH had "trauma" from childhood so he won't stop at antique or pawn shops. Yeah. T.r.a.u.m.a.—his parents took the family on several tours of antique shops one summer, so he's now allergic to the whole concept. :lol:

blingmeupscotty

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
You know what this is. You have rainbows coming out of your butt as well, but the horseshoe keeps them in there. Mr. CarParts has the same thing, I see it every week.
CONGRATULATIONS on your wonderful, well-played finds! So fun to see this.

Oh I found something.. but I purchased it to sell it. It was another platinum diamond band.. and it was half the price of what it's worth. THANK GOD it's not my size bahhahahaha!!!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results