shape
carat
color
clarity

Today is Black Dog Appreciation Day!

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Today is Black Dog Appreciation Day where, worldwide, animal lovers celebrate black dogs and highlight Black dog bias or Black Dog Syndrome.

Please post your own photos and stories of your beloved black dogs.

Meet June Carter Cash.
I adopted her from the shelter when she was a scrawny 8 week old puppy. We expect she is a Lab/Pitbull mix and is not mean and scary at all...she is quite the 65 lb. lap dog indeed. June is happy and healthy and will be 3 years old in November. She spends her days sleeping on the couch, bothering her feline companions, and playing flyball.
270555_1001072076746_37524959_44202394_738331_n.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I thought discussing race was prohibited.

IMHO, dogs of all color are equal.

:lol:

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Here's Zoe, aka The Furry Sultan (she likes to stretch out, like she's some kind of diva). We adopted her after a family dumped her because she ate her poop compulsively (gross, I agree...but they locked her in a crate as an 8 week old puppy for 13 hours a day...she was just trying to keep her crate clean...after about 3 weeks with us, she stopped and it's never happened again...and I'd know, b/c she loves to give doggie kisses!) She doesn't have any real "talent", but she's so lovable and just wants to be with you. She's great with the kids and never snaps at them when they dress her up or try to use her as a horse for their dolls/toys. We got really lucky with our black dog!

zoe%20resized.jpg

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Funny, Kenny! :bigsmile:
It's true though, that black dogs are discriminated against in shelters.
Black cats too. They don't get adopted because "they all look the same."

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Yennyfire, Zoe is adorable! How could the old owners resist that face?! So glad she is in a wonderful forever home now.

centralsquare

Ideal_Rock
Gorgeous pups!!

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Sure hope AGBF chimes in with a Griffin update!

lliang_chi

Ideal_Rock
Yenny, what kind of dog do you have? She looks like my dog...

Here's Quizas (accented A). She's a Spanish Water Dog, and will be 5 in Sept. We got her from Madrid. My DH calls her his best friend. She's a attention whore/needy brat, but she can be so super sweet to us. She used to have really bad aggression, but we've been working on her with that. She's skittish and every now and then she'll go crazy but again, we're still working on that. She's not perfect but we love her nonetheless. My favorite picture of her from my wedding day. Also her "summer look" and "winter look"

QuizasWedding.jpg

Quizas_Summer.jpg

QuizasWinter.jpg

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Holy cow, Quizas is adorable! Zoe is part poodle, part something else (we don't know). She does look a lot like a Portie, but the vet doesn't think that's the case.

Chloe, June Carter Cash looks so focused. Is she really well mannered? I'd imagine she'd have to be to do play flyball! So glad that you gave her her forever home!

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Love that winter look! Such a cutie!

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
yennyfire|1315612720|3014049 said:
Holy cow, Quizas is adorable! Zoe is part poodle, part something else (we don't know). She does look a lot like a Portie, but the vet doesn't think that's the case.

Chloe, June Carter Cash looks so focused. Is she really well mannered? I'd imagine she'd have to be to do play flyball! So glad that you gave her her forever home!

In fact, she has not been the fastest learner at flyball due to focus issues. We joined the team 2 years ago (she was only 1 year old) and it has taken a lot of work to get her ready for competition but it is so rewarding to watch her succeed! She is steadily earning titles (awards based on point accumulation) and is pretty fast for a big girl (running the course in 4.7 seconds.) Training her to compete has been a much different experience than that of my teammates with herding dogs like border collies, who really excel at the sport because of their focus. As is common with labs, at 3 years old she is still quite the immature puppy. I think part of that is just her own playful temperament, and I expect she will always be the big silly awkward puppy she is. Around the house she is very obedient and thrives in our daily routine. However, I do struggle with her in situations where she has too much freedom and too many distractions. In the flyball ring, she's like a whole different dog!

jlp86

Shiny_Rock
My dog is Morgan. We believe he is a pit bull/Lab mix as well but also think there is something else in him (he stays so skinny!). We adopted him from a lady who could no longer care for him, she originally got him from someone who found him on the side of the road. He is about a year old. He is the sweetest dog! He is super energetic and loves going to the dog park (however he plays with every toy over the other dogs, very ADD dog). He is super smart and learns fast but no real talents!

I am trying to upload pictures but it won't let me!!

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
jlp86|1315613805|3014062 said:
My dog is Morgan. We believe he is a pit bull/Lab mix as well but also think there is something else in him (he stays so skinny!). We adopted him from a lady who could no longer care for him, she originally got him from someone who found him on the side of the road. He is about a year old. He is the sweetest dog! He is super energetic and loves going to the dog park (however he plays with every toy over the other dogs, very ADD dog). He is super smart and learns fast but no real talents!

I am trying to upload pictures but it won't let me!!

Morgan sounds like a typical 1-year-old puppy to me! :bigsmile: Can't wait to see pictures!

ksinger

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Sonny - aka Doofus, Lump, Houndly, or Houndulus, our rescue lab. We LOVE him, and black labs in particular. He's a sweetheart of a hound and is quirky as all get out. And he ADORES tennis balls... :bigsmile:

cutest_thing.jpg

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
Sonny is such a handsome boy! It's as if he's peering into my soul with those big brown Lab eyes and telling me Throw the ball, throw the ball...

jlp86

Shiny_Rock
Okay, here is a picture of Morgan!

IMG_1958b.jpg

photo (20).JPG

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I do not like this picture of poor Griffin, but I appreciate his having been mentioned in the thread and, of course, wanted to get a relatively recent picture of him up. I don't have a lot of recent photos of him, so this one will have to do. I think this one is kind of silly, but my daughter posed him in her hat. Actually she has two, "Ed Hardy" hats. I do not know the significance of an Ed Hardy hat, but it is apparently important that one buy a real one, not a counterfeit one, for reasons unknown to me! I have also observed that Griffin's head is too big for Ed Hardy hats, which makes me think that Newfoundlands have inherent good taste!

Deb/AGBF
:saint:

PS-My husband-who has never lived wih Griffin-always wanted a black dog because he thought they were frightening and would scare away burglars. He and I had, together, a Golden Retriever and light Yellow Lab. :)

GriffinInEdHardyHat.jpg

ChloeTheGreat

Brilliant_Rock
AGBF|1315615537|3014090 said:
I do not like this picture of poor Griffin, but I appreciate his having been mentioned in the thread and, of course, wanted to get a relatively recent picture of him up. I don't have a lot of recent photos of him, so this one will have to do. I think this one is kind of silly, but my daughter posed him in her hat. Actually she has two, "Ed Hardy" hats. I do not know the significance of an Ed Hardy hat, but it is apparently important that one buy a real one, not a counterfeit one, for reasons unknown to me! I have also observed that Griffin's head is too big for Ed Hardy hats, which makes me think that Newfoundlands have inherent good taste!

Deb/AGBF

PS-My husband-who has never lived wih Griffin-always wanted a black dog because he thought they were frightening and would scare away burglars. He and I had, together, a Golden Retriever and light Yellow Lab. :)

I am confident Griffin can do better than that hat.
Has he been successful in scaring away burglars? ...I expect they would only run in fear if they mistook him for a bear...

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
ChloeTheGreat|1315617244|3014112 said:
Has he been successful in scaring away burglars? ...I expect they would only run in fear if they mistook him for a bear...

So far we don't know that he has scared away any would be burglars, but we do know that some UPS and Fedex men have refused to come through the gate. Also that one who did, because he had not seen Griffin (who was in his hole and oblivious to the man's entry), became scared to death when he became aware there was a dog in the yard with him (albeit a dog in a hole with no limbs showing). Then he became alarmed at the vision said limbless dog presented and said, "Is that dog all right?". Griffin-who had just awakened in his comfy hole-yawned...and I said, "he's fine, just sleepy".

AGBF

PS-The mailman isn't afraid of dogs.

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Hoping I got the picture attached. Murphy Guinness!

murphface.jpg

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
lyra|1315620658|3014140 said:
Hoping I got the picture attached. Murphy Guinness!

lyra-

I wanted to click on that and and enlarge it...not to enlarge your pup, but just his/her image so that I could see him better! What a darling face!

Deb
:read:

AGBF

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I tried to get a larger picture of Murphy Guinness, but I have no idea what size is going to show up on the screen. I hope you don't mind, lyra (especially if poor Murphy got distorted by the the attempt at enlargement). Murphy was just too cute.

Deb
:read:

lyrasmurphy.jpg

Attachments

• lyrasmurphy.bmp
    49.9 KB · Views: 665

lyra

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Thanks Deb. I don't know why that pic came out so small. I'm not good at anything to do with pictures! ;)) He's pretty adorable, but he's a pirate. Always saying Arrrrrrr! don't kiss me.

davi_el_mejor

Brilliant_Rock
Yay!

Love my little black dog :D

Neena is our adopted black chihuahua mix :D

east%20rock%20and%20lighthouse%20point%20031.png

minmin001

Ideal_Rock
ohhh I knew cooked up her a beef bone for a reason! :bigsmile:
IMG_1249.jpg

aviastar

Brilliant_Rock
This is Nala, my 6 year old Border Collie/Chow mix (I think :confused: ), rescued at 9 weeks from a no kill rescue group. She can be high strung around strangers and in new places, but is affectionate, *smart*, and playful most of the time. She does have herding tendancies and she responded really well to clicker training. She is the little love of my life; I was at the pet store on a Saturday morning to see what I could bring home to be a companion, but I wasn't thinking about a dog (grew up with them, but was just graduating college, in an apartment) and there was a rescue group there with dogs. I just went over to say hi and about 30 seconds after I sat down this little girl crawled into my lap and promptly went to sleep. I couldn't leave without her and she had effectively adopted me :D We've long left the apartments behind and are happily running in and out of creeks, around in the woods, treeing neighbors' cats, and chasing deer on our 12 acres!

nala%20copy.jpg

I love everyone's sweet pup faces!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
I'm a day late but I wanted to add some more black dogs to this wonderful thread!!!!

I LOVE BLACK DOGS! AND BLACK CATS!!!!

These are my mama's pups. Tallulah (the black and white pup) will be 13 in February, Killian just turned 8 in August. My little bubbas. :love:
TheBUBBAS!.jpg
KillyBilly.jpg

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I didn't know there was a black dog appreciation day. My parents have 2 cute-but-crazy black labs. These pics are a few years old, but they still look just about the same.

DSCN2926.JPG

DSCN2913.JPG

DSCN2950.JPG

yennyfire

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Ohh, everyone's black dogs are SOOOO cute! Gotta love 'em!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
Oh JStar--those two look like a handful. An adorable, wonderful, hilarious handful!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results