shape
carat
color
clarity

To those who have saved up for a big bling purchase...

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 1, 2011
Messages
1,389
How did you keep your eyes on the prize? I want a larger OEC. I'm selling off some items to help me get there, but I also keep getting distracted by smaller purchases. Any advice on how to save for a goal like this? I am realizing that I'm not super disciplined. :boohoo:
 

Madam Bijoux

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 15, 2005
Messages
5,386
Focus on your goal and don t let anything else get in the way.
 

Resonance.Of.Life

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Nov 8, 2008
Messages
1,457
Take a look at prices again.. it always sobers me up when I have the high of wanting something new and sparkly that isn't my HG cushion.
 

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Mar 2, 2010
Messages
1,241
Put the picture of what you really want somewhere you'll always see it....for example this is my phone lock screen ;-) I DID NOT take these pictures, they are either Gypsy's or Dreamer's (although the ring belongs to another PS'er whose name I'm forgetting now :silenced: :oops: )

aurora.jpg Its the Aurora band by BGD. I love it, however I want Rose gold band with platinum heads. :) Even asked the lovely team at BGD for a quote (they were happy to oblige, and it's going to be a while to save).....
 

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
May 11, 2012
Messages
9,786
Try and remember one really major purchase will be more satisfying in the long run than several smaller purchases. Selling off items you don't wear or use any more and paying off the OEC (if the vendor allows it) all will help as well....
 

lambskin

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Aug 22, 2012
Messages
3,054
Just be careful of mass smaller purchases. You are saving up for beautiful bling so you probably know not to buy that expensive purse or shoes. I do not buy any costume jewelry and expensive accessories or stuff for just me. However, where I get trapped is buying mass quantities of cheap or sale goods. For example, I have no problem spending $60 at a Dollar Store-stocking up on wrapping paper, gift bags, cleaning supplies, toiletries, hair clips and other sundry things that really do not have to be purchased or purchased in bulk. But I will not buy a sweater or other clothes for that same $60 as I am trying to save for my bling. I probably need that sweater more than the stuff at the Dollar Store but that is a purchase for me and not the house. I do not buy Starbucks or similar coffee house drinks but rather brew my own- I know saving hundreds of dollars each year. We do not see first run movies but wait until they are on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime. I never purchase movies on line. We gave up cable/satellite which has saved us big bucks. Try bringing your own lunch at work-leftovers saves money. We do not eat at white cloth restaurants but rather seek out small and cheap places that offer cuisines from all over the world. BYOBs are cheaper than ordering cocktails or wine. We do not go to theater or sport events but rather carefully choose entertainment options and we really use our musuem memberships. We do not feel deprived in anyway by our frugality since we are creative about spending. I tell my spouse not to buy me surprise anniversary, birthday, Valentines Day or Christmas gifts as I am saving up for something special and use these 'credits' toward the special thing I am saving for. You may have to wait a few years but the wait is worth it as I have a few pieces that are perfect for me-no compromise or guilt.
 

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 1, 2011
Messages
1,389
Thank you all for the wonderful advice. I like the idea of reminding myself of my goal - pictures, looking at prices, etc. I also like lambskin's advice on frugality. I tend to buy things just because they are on sale. I'm also on a big decluttering kick, and I'm selling off things from around the house and creating extra space and extra funds toward my large OEC. I do have a hard time passing up accessories in general. Much to my dismay, I add up my smaller purchases and realize that they really do add up. Maybe I should ban myself from buying anything? It's hard for me to do.
 

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 27, 2011
Messages
6,589
How about taking on a variation of the 52 week money challenge with the goal of your beautiful bling?
 

jeweln

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Jan 21, 2011
Messages
737
ihy138 ,
I am exactly like you ! I relax daily by browsing ebay ,etsy and other online stores . if I have any savings ,I dont rest until its all gone .
the only way that worked for me was either : withdrawing cash from my account and hiding it in a safe place in my house . or using PayPal credit , in which purchases over $1k can be paid up to a year interest free .
 

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Dec 17, 2008
Messages
27,346
lambskin has some wonderful ideas. I have found that if I buy small things (instead of saving for the big thing I really want),
that the small thing only pacifies me for a short period of time and then I will need something else new to pacify me.
It doesnt stop until you realize how much money you have spent/wasted trying to pacify yourself and not having it work because
in reality you really, really want that big expensive item. You need to stick money away and put it out of your head. It's only
there to go for that big item and nothing else. If you can figure out how much you can put away, and how long it will take
that will help you see the light at the end of the tunnel.

If you post anything in the SMTB forum, I will totally tell you it's ugly...return it, and save the money for that big item! :bigsmile:

Maybe we need a thread to cheer each other on. Something like "I want to buy diamond hoop earrings. It will take me a year to save the
money." You can post monthly to say whether you are on track or not. You can post when you are feeling weak and in need of
a jewelry hit. We can cheer you on and help you get over your weak moments. Sort of like a support group! :))
 

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 1, 2011
Messages
1,389
PintoBean|1451354103|3967644 said:
How about taking on a variation of the 52 week money challenge with the goal of your beautiful bling?

Had to look that up, but it seems really interesting! I've thought about putting money away each week or month as though I were paying a layaway. Just treat it as any other bill!

jeweln - Aahh, that is also how I relax. It's really dangerous because I find things that I must have that I never would have been interested in previously.
 

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 1, 2011
Messages
1,389
tyty333|1451402392|3967842 said:
lambskin has some wonderful ideas. I have found that if I buy small things (instead of saving for the big thing I really want),
that the small thing only pacifies me for a short period of time and then I will need something else new to pacify me.

It doesnt stop until you realize how much money you have spent/wasted trying to pacify yourself and not having it work because
in reality you really, really want that big expensive item. You need to stick money away and put it out of your head. It's only
there to go for that big item and nothing else. If you can figure out how much you can put away, and how long it will take
that will help you see the light at the end of the tunnel.

If you post anything in the SMTB forum, I will totally tell you it's ugly...return it, and save the money for that big item! :bigsmile:

Maybe we need a thread to cheer each other on. Something like "I want to buy diamond hoop earrings. It will take me a year to save the
money." You can post monthly to say whether you are on track or not. You can post when you are feeling weak and in need of
a jewelry hit. We can cheer you on and help you get over your weak moments. Sort of like a support group! :))

This seriously spoke to me. I can't tell you how many small pieces I've purchased, only to tire of them months later and then sell them off. You're right - only the big bling will truly make me happy. I've been going through my collection (and all the rest of my stuff) and determining what I still like and what I can part with. I have no problem unloading. It's the making new purchases I have trouble with. I love the idea of a support group! :lol: Feel free to berate me if I post anything in SMTB that I didn't already own. :)
 

MyDiamondSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Joined
Nov 22, 2010
Messages
525
ihy138|1451438063|3968177 said:
tyty333|1451402392|3967842 said:
lambskin has some wonderful ideas. I have found that if I buy small things (instead of saving for the big thing I really want),
that the small thing only pacifies me for a short period of time and then I will need something else new to pacify me.

It doesnt stop until you realize how much money you have spent/wasted trying to pacify yourself and not having it work because
in reality you really, really want that big expensive item. You need to stick money away and put it out of your head. It's only
there to go for that big item and nothing else. If you can figure out how much you can put away, and how long it will take
that will help you see the light at the end of the tunnel.

If you post anything in the SMTB forum, I will totally tell you it's ugly...return it, and save the money for that big item! :bigsmile:

Maybe we need a thread to cheer each other on. Something like "I want to buy diamond hoop earrings. It will take me a year to save the
money." You can post monthly to say whether you are on track or not. You can post when you are feeling weak and in need of
a jewelry hit. We can cheer you on and help you get over your weak moments. Sort of like a support group! :))

This seriously spoke to me. I can't tell you how many small pieces I've purchased, only to tire of them months later and then sell them off. You're right - only the big bling will truly make me happy. I've been going through my collection (and all the rest of my stuff) and determining what I still like and what I can part with. I have no problem unloading. It's the making new purchases I have trouble with. I love the idea of a support group! :lol: Feel free to berate me if I post anything in SMTB that I didn't already own. :)

Yep! This EXACTLY! For me, I have to ban ALL purchases---like seriously, I just say NO to everything <---this does get easier the more you do it. I tape a note on my computer that says "NO!" and remind myself that it doesn't matter how much the discount/ sale price is, if I don't need it it's not a good deal. Then if I need even more cash or faster cash I sell stuff off--not stuff I love, but stuff I thought I'd love but have never worn. <---sometimes doing this makes me realize how much stuff I buy that I don't need and that makes saying "No" even easier. It's also a nice feeling to sell and/ or donate stuff and clean out the house as well as the mind--surely my mind is guilty for making such senseless purchases and my heart is happy to find them a new home. :) I also go through my purchases and start returning stuff--which I'm terrible about --I order stuff, it doesn't fit, then I never return. I love to shop at stores with easy return policies--like Nordstroms (no receipt/ no time limit--and you get full price for what you paid because they put a bar code on everything). My last return there amounted to $1200! <--which again, makes me realize just how much money I waste on stupid stuff. Good luck on your purchase-- I know you can do it!!!! :)
 

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Oct 24, 2012
Messages
12,654
lambskin|1451330314|3967442 said:
Just be careful of mass smaller purchases. You are saving up for beautiful bling so you probably know not to buy that expensive purse or shoes. I do not buy any costume jewelry and expensive accessories or stuff for just me. However, where I get trapped is buying mass quantities of cheap or sale goods. For example, I have no problem spending $60 at a Dollar Store-stocking up on wrapping paper, gift bags, cleaning supplies, toiletries, hair clips and other sundry things that really do not have to be purchased or purchased in bulk. But I will not buy a sweater or other clothes for that same $60 as I am trying to save for my bling. I probably need that sweater more than the stuff at the Dollar Store but that is a purchase for me and not the house. I do not buy Starbucks or similar coffee house drinks but rather brew my own- I know saving hundreds of dollars each year. We do not see first run movies but wait until they are on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime. I never purchase movies on line. We gave up cable/satellite which has saved us big bucks. Try bringing your own lunch at work-leftovers saves money. We do not eat at white cloth restaurants but rather seek out small and cheap places that offer cuisines from all over the world. BYOBs are cheaper than ordering cocktails or wine. We do not go to theater or sport events but rather carefully choose entertainment options and we really use our musuem memberships. We do not feel deprived in anyway by our frugality since we are creative about spending. I tell my spouse not to buy me surprise anniversary, birthday, Valentines Day or Christmas gifts as I am saving up for something special and use these 'credits' toward the special thing I am saving for. You may have to wait a few years but the wait is worth it as I have a few pieces that are perfect for me-no compromise or guilt.

Love your habits lambskin! I'm like that a lot too. I just cut out the extras. Instead of going out for breakfast I eat stuff that would go bad anyway. That way I eat healthy, don't waste food, and save money. I bring lunch. Skip pedicures and manicures. Don't buy coffe unless I didn't have time to make it at home. Seldom ever buy clothes unless I need it. Don't buy little pieces of jewelry. It's my kids that are the money pit. :lol: Redbox movies and skip the theater (except I had to do Star Wars). I don't know if I save anything because stuff comes up and the money is gone. Plugged up sewer. Broken down dishwasher or washing machine. Parents bday. ***sigh***. I know how hard it is.
 

Rockinruby

Ideal_Rock
Joined
Dec 27, 2013
Messages
2,740
I have done the 52 week challenge a few times. This year I did an envelope for colored stone savings. The year before I did two envelopes. One to save up for concert tickets and one to save up for a new setting. I haven't decided on what to for 2016 yet. :confused:

Btw, the 52 week challenge isn't quite what I need for a CVB setting! Lol. I would need a three year challenge for that! :naughty:
 

baby monster

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jul 2, 2007
Messages
3,631
I think it's helpful to set up a separate account with automatic transfers so that money is out of sight, out of mind. Label the account "Big OEC Fund" so you're reminded why it's there.
 

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 1, 2011
Messages
1,389
MyDiamondSparkles|1451502918|3968551 said:
ihy138|1451438063|3968177 said:
tyty333|1451402392|3967842 said:
lambskin has some wonderful ideas. I have found that if I buy small things (instead of saving for the big thing I really want),
that the small thing only pacifies me for a short period of time and then I will need something else new to pacify me.

It doesnt stop until you realize how much money you have spent/wasted trying to pacify yourself and not having it work because
in reality you really, really want that big expensive item. You need to stick money away and put it out of your head. It's only
there to go for that big item and nothing else. If you can figure out how much you can put away, and how long it will take
that will help you see the light at the end of the tunnel.

If you post anything in the SMTB forum, I will totally tell you it's ugly...return it, and save the money for that big item! :bigsmile:

Maybe we need a thread to cheer each other on. Something like "I want to buy diamond hoop earrings. It will take me a year to save the
money." You can post monthly to say whether you are on track or not. You can post when you are feeling weak and in need of
a jewelry hit. We can cheer you on and help you get over your weak moments. Sort of like a support group! :))

This seriously spoke to me. I can't tell you how many small pieces I've purchased, only to tire of them months later and then sell them off. You're right - only the big bling will truly make me happy. I've been going through my collection (and all the rest of my stuff) and determining what I still like and what I can part with. I have no problem unloading. It's the making new purchases I have trouble with. I love the idea of a support group! :lol: Feel free to berate me if I post anything in SMTB that I didn't already own. :)

Yep! This EXACTLY! For me, I have to ban ALL purchases---like seriously, I just say NO to everything <---this does get easier the more you do it. I tape a note on my computer that says "NO!" and remind myself that it doesn't matter how much the discount/ sale price is, if I don't need it it's not a good deal. Then if I need even more cash or faster cash I sell stuff off--not stuff I love, but stuff I thought I'd love but have never worn. <---sometimes doing this makes me realize how much stuff I buy that I don't need and that makes saying "No" even easier. It's also a nice feeling to sell and/ or donate stuff and clean out the house as well as the mind--surely my mind is guilty for making such senseless purchases and my heart is happy to find them a new home. :) I also go through my purchases and start returning stuff--which I'm terrible about --I order stuff, it doesn't fit, then I never return. I love to shop at stores with easy return policies--like Nordstroms (no receipt/ no time limit--and you get full price for what you paid because they put a bar code on everything). My last return there amounted to $1200! <--which again, makes me realize just how much money I waste on stupid stuff. Good luck on your purchase-- I know you can do it!!!! :)

I agree with this whole sentiment!!! I find that saying yes to one purchase just tends to snowball me into a number of other purchases. Purchasing for me is addictive, and once I make one I find it easier to make more. Saying no to EVERYTHING might be the safest bet. I am also in the middle of de-cluttering, although I'm selling more than I'm donating so it is taking a while. I have gotten rid of bags of stuff and I realize that I still have PLENTY of stuff. I really don't need to buy anything else. Decluttering is making my mind more peaceful. My laptop's hard drive just died last night. My reaction: "Good, get rid of it. Less space to take up." It's amazing the money that adds up from silly purchases that I end up wishing I could return months later. :nono:

Thanks so much for your kind words!
 

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 1, 2011
Messages
1,389
LLJsmom|1451505070|3968569 said:
lambskin|1451330314|3967442 said:
Just be careful of mass smaller purchases. You are saving up for beautiful bling so you probably know not to buy that expensive purse or shoes. I do not buy any costume jewelry and expensive accessories or stuff for just me. However, where I get trapped is buying mass quantities of cheap or sale goods. For example, I have no problem spending $60 at a Dollar Store-stocking up on wrapping paper, gift bags, cleaning supplies, toiletries, hair clips and other sundry things that really do not have to be purchased or purchased in bulk. But I will not buy a sweater or other clothes for that same $60 as I am trying to save for my bling. I probably need that sweater more than the stuff at the Dollar Store but that is a purchase for me and not the house. I do not buy Starbucks or similar coffee house drinks but rather brew my own- I know saving hundreds of dollars each year. We do not see first run movies but wait until they are on Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime. I never purchase movies on line. We gave up cable/satellite which has saved us big bucks. Try bringing your own lunch at work-leftovers saves money. We do not eat at white cloth restaurants but rather seek out small and cheap places that offer cuisines from all over the world. BYOBs are cheaper than ordering cocktails or wine. We do not go to theater or sport events but rather carefully choose entertainment options and we really use our musuem memberships. We do not feel deprived in anyway by our frugality since we are creative about spending. I tell my spouse not to buy me surprise anniversary, birthday, Valentines Day or Christmas gifts as I am saving up for something special and use these 'credits' toward the special thing I am saving for. You may have to wait a few years but the wait is worth it as I have a few pieces that are perfect for me-no compromise or guilt.

Love your habits lambskin! I'm like that a lot too. I just cut out the extras. Instead of going out for breakfast I eat stuff that would go bad anyway. That way I eat healthy, don't waste food, and save money. I bring lunch. Skip pedicures and manicures. Don't buy coffe unless I didn't have time to make it at home. Seldom ever buy clothes unless I need it. Don't buy little pieces of jewelry. It's my kids that are the money pit. :lol: Redbox movies and skip the theater (except I had to do Star Wars). I don't know if I save anything because stuff comes up and the money is gone. Plugged up sewer. Broken down dishwasher or washing machine. Parents bday. ***sigh***. I know how hard it is.

You're right, there are some things that are unavoidable - Christmas, birthdays, all that. I like the idea of trimming the fat elsewhere. I don't go out to eat often (less than once a month). I try not to buy food and eat from home instead. All of my eBay sales go to savings for "the big one." It all adds up, it's just a matter of being consistent. I do well for a while then fall off the wagon, so to speak. It is hard.
 

ihy138

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Joined
Jan 1, 2011
Messages
1,389
Thanks rockinruby! Glad you found it possible to work toward a goal like that. I think it will take me a bit longer to get to "the big one," although I already have quite a bit saved. I'm considering selling my original ER stone - 1.57 ct transitional - but I'm not sure.

Great tip babymonster. Just have automatic withdrawal to a separate account, like a bill that gets paid and you don't even think about. :rodent:
 
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results
Top