shape
carat
color
clarity

To those naturally really thin

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hi,

It's been a week since you posted this and I hope it's not too late to chime in. I'm also 5' 4" and 110 and a size 0-2 and have had numerous rude comments, as well. Clearly I'm NOT a real woman since I don't have curves
20.gif
Once I was at a party and everyone was pretty drunk and I walked through a hall and was about to enter a room and heard a woman making fun of me for not having any hips. I know how it feels, but screw them. Those who make comments lack confidence and I'm not going to let that woman drag me down to her level. It's not my fault she lacks the confidence to be proud of her own body.

We can only do our best to be confident with who we are, dress to make our bodies look are best, and most importantly eat HEALTHY foods.

My butt isn't "flat" but definetly not round either. What can help to a certain extend is doing squats and lunges to build up a bit of shape. You'll still look lean, but have more tone to your form. Jeri Love makes great exercise videos that help tone and shape. Also, the right jeans can excentuate your figure and give a hint of "curves." Jeans with back pockets will enhance your bootie.

Be happy. You're beautiful and you ARE a real woman. We come in all shapes and sizes and we all should be proud for who we are.

(oh and I don't have boobs either. What sucks is that I did have them until I went off the pill. Then I had two kids and my breasts were HUGE until I quit breastfeeding! Now I wear push up bras and they help so much. Doing chest presses with weights creates cleavage and helps too. Weights of any sort are your best friends. Stick with free weights as they're more successful!)

Blair138

Brilliant_Rock
OOh I just saw this too! I can empathize!

I have been very thin my whole life thanks to good genes and good metabolism! I have been called anorexic/bulimic and have been told to eat...It pisses me off but I have learned to live with it.

People are rude about weight no matter if you are slim or heavy or overweight or just right!

I constantly hear comments from a co-worker/friend who is not overweight by any means, but she is constantly telling me to eat, and that I better gain some weight for my wedding or else my dress will fall off me...
20.gif
It gets old because as a matter of fact I DO eat and I LOVE FOOD. Some people will always have rude comments I guess. I am happy with my body and hope that I always have this metabolism so that is what keeps me smiling!
9.gif

iluvcarats

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/27/2009 11:50:48 AM
Author: Inanna
I despise the word ''skinny''.
29.gif

Having people come up to you and say ''OMG you''re so skinny... why are you SOOOO skinny???'' gets really damn old. I have boobs (small boobs, but still) and I have a butt. I exercise, I eat A LOT, and I can shop at most stores. But, ''OMG... SOOO Skinny.'' It''s obnoxious.

If the tables were turned, that behavior would be unacceptable.

Ditto to this!
Most people would never go up to someone and say "OMG you''re so FAT!"
I don''t know why people think it is ok to comment on someone''s appearance
33.gif

I am 5'' and when people meet my 10 year old daughter, 9 times out of 10 they say
"You''re almost as tall as your mom!" Like it is funny. Ha ha, jokes on me. (Yah, I know , I can see!)
It always makes me feel bad - like a freak of nature. You can''t change your height.

Real women have curves, and real women are skinny, and real women are tall and short and medium and come in all sorts of shapes and sizes.
And why people feel it is their right to judge and comment on it, I''ll never know...

heb1976

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone! I am someone who always had to work at being thin. I had to work out for at least 2 hours a day and eat around 800 calories to maintain a size 6 figure on a 5''7" frame. Needless to say 2 kids later I''m not a size 6!
9.gif
I do tell people how thin and small they are and mean it as a compliment. I would love to be told that I''m small! Lucky ladies!

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2009 2:14:55 PM
Author: heb1976
Hi everyone! I am someone who always had to work at being thin. I had to work out for at least 2 hours a day and eat around 800 calories to maintain a size 6 figure on a 5''7'' frame. Needless to say 2 kids later I''m not a size 6!
9.gif
I do tell people how thin and small they are and mean it as a compliment. I would love to be told that I''m small! Lucky ladies!
HI:

From my perspective--it is "how" you are told. For example on Sat while trying on jeans, the Mom who complimented me and suggested "I looked great" was appreciated/well received, whereas the sales gal who questioned me about my weight, lifestyle and habits, was not. Also I must concur with the idea that being called "skinny" is derogative since I connote it with being undernourished and unhealthy.

cheers--Sharon

Inanna

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/30/2009 3:22:29 PM
Author: canuk-gal
Date: 3/30/2009 2:14:55 PM

Author: heb1976

Hi everyone! I am someone who always had to work at being thin. I had to work out for at least 2 hours a day and eat around 800 calories to maintain a size 6 figure on a 5''7'' frame. Needless to say 2 kids later I''m not a size 6!
9.gif
HI:

From my perspective--it is ''how'' you are told. For example on Sat while trying on jeans, the Mom who complimented me and suggested ''I looked great'' was appreciated/well received, whereas the sales gal who questioned me about my weight, lifestyle and habits, was not. Also I must concur with the idea that being called ''skinny'' is derogative since I connote it with being undernourished and unhealthy.

cheers--Sharon

Exactly! I don''t think anyone has a problem with being called thin or slim or svelte. Calling someone skinny is an entirely different story. You might as well say emaciated or boney. It''s just not a nice way to describe people.

susiegrneyes

Shiny_Rock
Weight is definitely one of those things that most people wish no one would notice. If you are thin, you don''t want to be told to go eat a cheeseburger. If you are heavy, you don''t want someone to tell you to put down the cheeseburger. It''s hard to be comfortable in your own skin, and almost no one is ever really satified with the number on the scale or what they see in the mirror. Sure I''d love to be high fashion model that is 5 foot 9 and 115 lbs, but I''m not and I will never be. Although, I''m not at either extreme of the spectrum (I''m 5''7" and 129 lbs) I''ve still gotten my fair share of comments about being too thin. In fact, once I even had my doctor ask me if I eat. I have also had an ex-boyfriend tell me that I needed to lose weight. Everyone has a different standard of what "perfect" is. So, don''t worry about what other people say about you, because you know you are beautiful just the way you are.

lilylover

Shiny_Rock
Wow, I am glad I posted this! I didn''t know I would get to read so many stories/coments of you ladies who know what I am going through.

I am only 22, so I am sure that my metabolism will slow down eventually. Most of the people I knew from High School have already gone through that, though. Who knows.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 12:35:51 AM
Author: lilylover
Wow, I am glad I posted this! I didn''t know I would get to read so many stories/coments of you ladies who know what I am going through.

I am only 22, so I am sure that my metabolism will slow down eventually. Most of the people I knew from High School have already gone through that, though. Who knows.
LOL, don''t bet on it too much!

I''m normally 5ft 10" and weigh around the 130lb mark which I am pretty happy with at 36. From when I was 17 to about 28 I always weigh around the 100lb mark. I don''t like to be on the heavy side and I know that my judgement of ''heavy'' for myself is a lot less than most people would think was heavy, so I don''t try to put on weight, but I don''t majorly diet either.

One of the things I really hate is that when you are slim, people seem to think it''s fine to comment if you put on a couple of pounds - which they would never do with someone who was overweight.

I spent years at school being accused of having anorexia - to the extent that they used to weigh me every week and monitor what I ate.

I''m very careful to not make comments to anyone - unless they are a close friend and I know they are dieting and can do with encouragement every now and then!

soocool

Ideal_Rock

I think if you keep active, you''ll find your metabolism won''t slow down that much. I am now 52 and have gained around 5- 10 lbs in the past 5 years (it fluctuates a tiny bit)and have been in menopause for the past 4 years or so. But I have had to step up my exercise routine to keep my muscles and bones strong and I think the 5 lbs or so are probably due to better muscle tone.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 8:51:34 AM
Author: Pandora II

I''m normally 5ft 10'' and weigh around the 130lb mark which I am pretty happy with at 36. From when I was 17 to about 28 I always weigh around the 100lb mark. I don''t like to be on the heavy side and I know that my judgement of ''heavy'' for myself is a lot less than most people would think was heavy, so I don''t try to put on weight, but I don''t majorly diet either.

One of the things I really hate is that when you are slim, people seem to think it''s fine to comment if you put on a couple of pounds - which they would never do with someone who was overweight.

I spent years at school being accused of having anorexia - to the extent that they used to weigh me every week and monitor what I ate.

I''m very careful to not make comments to anyone - unless they are a close friend and I know they are dieting and can do with encouragement every now and then!
Pandora, I went through much of the same when I was a teen.When I was in 8th grade, kids called me "stringbean" even though they saw that I ate as much as they did. My mom dragged me to the doctors telling me that I must be anemic or something and she made me drink these canned nutritional supplements everyday and I still never gained an ounce. My mom on the other hand was quite overweight, almost 200 lbs, and didn''t think anything was wrong with her. I am now 52, less than 2 inches shorter than you and usually weigh between 130 - 135lbs. I think I look heavy, because I know what I used to look like when I was 110lbs. But I also have a small frame.

Now my daughter has been going through the same thing, however, with a mother who is understanding and a doctor who knows that she is healthy and told her that. It is however certain girls that tell her that she must be anorexic even though she eats. However, the other day the girl who keeps telling her how thin she is ate an entire steak sandwich with chips, 2 Tastycakes and washed it down with 2 sodas (this girl is very overweight) and my daughter just said to her "Well, that''s not healthy." and the other girl burst into tears. My daughter felt so bad afterward that she apologized and told her that now she knows how she feels when she tells her that she is anorexic. The girl replied to her that while she knows that she herself has a weight problem, my daughter has an eating disorder. My daughter at that point told her she doesn''t want to be friends with her anymore. I am happy!... some people never learn... as long as you know you are healthy that is what matters. To He## with the rest!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 10:22:20 AM
Author: soocool

I''m normally 5ft 10'' and weigh around the 130lb mark which I am pretty happy with at 36. From when I was 17 to about 28 I always weigh around the 100lb mark. I don''t like to be on the heavy side and I know that my judgement of ''heavy'' for myself is a lot less than most people would think was heavy, so I don''t try to put on weight, but I don''t majorly diet either.

Pandora, I went through much of the same when I was a teen.When I was in 8th grade, kids called me ''stringbean'' even though they saw that I ate as much as they did. My mom dragged me to the doctors telling me that I must be anemic or something and she made me drink these canned nutritional supplements everyday and I still never gained an ounce. My mom on the other hand was quite overweight, almost 200 lbs, and didn''t think anything was wrong with her. I am now 52, less than 2 inches shorter than you and usually weigh between 130 - 135lbs. I think I look heavy, because I know what I used to look like when I was 110lbs. But I also have a small frame.

Now my daughter has been going through the same thing, however, with a mother who is understanding and a doctor who knows that she is healthy and told her that. It is however certain girls that tell her that she must be anorexic even though she eats. However, the other day the girl who keeps telling her how thin she is ate an entire steak sandwich with chips, 2 Tastycakes and washed it down with 2 sodas (this girl is very overweight) and my daughter just said to her ''Well, that''s not healthy.'' and the other girl burst into tears. My daughter felt so bad afterward that she apologized and told her that now she knows how she feels when she tells her that she is anorexic. The girl replied to her that while she knows that she herself has a weight problem, my daughter has an eating disorder. My daughter at that point told her she doesn''t want to be friends with her anymore. I am happy!... some people never learn... as long as you know you are healthy that is what matters. To He## with the rest!

HOW RUDE
29.gif
29.gif

Kudos to your daughter for sticking up for herself!

DiamondsforDee

Shiny_Rock
Soocool, you''re daughter is far too nice and well mannered! I would have had some choice words for the overweight "friend" if I were her. But I am also not that nice and polite despite my mother''s best attempts to the contrary.

soocool

Ideal_Rock
Date: 3/31/2009 1:19:28 PM
Author: DiamondsforDee
Soocool, you''re daughter is far too nice and well mannered! I would have had some choice words for the overweight ''friend'' if I were her. But I am also not that nice and polite despite my mother''s best attempts to the contrary.
You''re right, my daughter is way too nice. She has never offended any of her friends or even the kids she does not like very much. I wish she would tell them what she thinks and get stuff off her chest. She has some anxiety issues and has been seeing someone to help her with that (CBT) and has learned how to deal with other people''s nasty remarks. Her therapist advised her to let go of her "toxic" friends because she says " no one has the right to make you feel bad about yourself" and I guess that is what she is finally learning to do rather than putting up with the nasty "skinny" remarks.

Also, when my daughter told this girl she didn''t want to be friends with her anymore , the other kids at the table sided with my daughter and went to another table to finish their lunch.

lexychoo

Rough_Rock
Yeah, but at the end of the day, overweight women get way more crap than skinny women. So even though "real women" seems slightly indulgent, they are simply responding to an unfair societal standard that tries to oppress them.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Wow! I am glad I am not alone. I am 5''9, and weigh between 125lbs and 130lbs. The thing is I lift weights but don''t really show my muscle mass, so I look a lot thinner. I am a size 0 on my top half, a 32A on a good day, and a size 2-4 on my hips (depending on how busy I am). I actually loose weight when I am stressed, so I get all sorts of negative comments when I am in an ICU setting (80+ hour work week, babies trying to die on me, nurses yelling at me) about how I need to eat more. Than of course they see me eat, and don''t know what to say. I have had the kid yell "eat something" when running outside. I had an orthopedic resident bug me about it all month. He used me as an prime example of someone at risk for osteoporosis (the thin white girl....like I don''t know this???).

I have a pic of my mom when she was my age hanging. It reminds me that this is how I was born. And of course, I do get complements on my waist line a lot. I think that some of it is jealously. I have to agree with the others, people should not feel they have the freedom to make negative comments about someone''s weight.

Miscka

Brilliant_Rock
I find this topic very interesting, and I probably have a unique perspective as someone who has been on both sides of the fence.

My whole life I was "chubby", which grew into "curvy". I was OK with the curves most of the time, but I really wanted to just be *thinner*/more in shape. I was about a size 8 or 10, 167lbs at my heaviest. I am about 5''9''''. I do not have a "small" frame at all.

Then, I got sick. I lost a bunch of weight. I was at about 145, which was my ideal weight. I was happy there, working to be healthier and maintain.

Then, I got sicker. Might be GERD, I dont know yet (I am 24 btw). I couldn''t eat for a week and dropped below 140. I wear about a 4, which is occasionally too big.

Anyway, the past few months I have been eating as much and as badly as I feel like, and I cannot seem to put on any weight. I get comments all the time, as a result of the loss. Like I became obsessed with dieting, or like its wrong of me to want to eat healthily even if I am "thin enough". My mom worries about it, and my "best" friend flat-out told me she resented me over it. Yeah, its been fun
20.gif
Its really hurtful because I AM SICK and I can''t help it. Its scary enough to feel like you dont know what is going on with your body without other people needing to comment.

Now I see pictures of myself and I look too skinny for my taste. I keep eating, to no result. Its frustrating too, because I literally touch my body and it feels too thin, I see it in pictures, but in my mind I "feel" fat. Not sure that makes any sense. Its weird.

Not sure if I am "answering" correctly, but as someone who was probably prone to a "she''s TOO thin" comment every now and then I can tell you I wouldn''t say those things again. I realize now that "healthy" and "thin" can be completely unrelated. You can be healthy and not be thin, you can be thin and not be healthy (like myself these days
41.gif
).

I feel much better now that I have gotten that out
1.gif

niccia

Shiny_Rock
Ugh I can empathize too...I am very small-boned, 5.5 and between 105-110 pounds usually. The only time I have ever been able to put on a little weight is when I was bartending and drinking a fair bit. I don''t have a huge appetite, but I snack constantly. I just can''t eat a lot at once. I can''t even tell you how many rude questions/comments I have had from people, including random restaurant staff that comment on what I am ordering (ie "you eat lard???" - when I asked for extra butter with my toast the other day) . My fiance''s family are all heavier set and they always say I am too thin, and make comments like "guys like some meat on the bones!" The thing is, I have fairly big breasts and I have a butt, so I am still fairly curvy and I quite like my figure as is. I have never dieted in my life, but peoples comments sometimes do get to me.

Bliss

Ideal_Rock
I hear ya ladies!
29.gif
I also am skinny but I have big boobs for my frame (full C). They came from my mother's side of the family and so I have to put up with rude comments about my "fake" boobs at times. It really bothers me. DH says I should feel flattered but I feel insulted, like they're calling me a stripper or something. I actually love my figure but sometimes I feel like having a bigger chest attracts unwanted attention. And I work in an office and wear tailored suits to work, so it's not like I'm wearing some kind of halter top paired with inappropriate minis. Ugh.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Date: 4/12/2009 4:01:55 PM
Author: niccia
Ugh I can empathize too...I am very small-boned, 5.5 and between 105-110 pounds usually. The only time I have ever been able to put on a little weight is when I was bartending and drinking a fair bit. I don''t have a huge appetite, but I snack constantly. I just can''t eat a lot at once. I can''t even tell you how many rude questions/comments I have had from people, including random restaurant staff that comment on what I am ordering (ie ''you eat lard???'' - when I asked for extra butter with my toast the other day) . My fiance''s family are all heavier set and they always say I am too thin, and make comments like ''guys like some meat on the bones!'' The thing is, I have fairly big breasts and I have a butt, so I am still fairly curvy and I quite like my figure as is. I have never dieted in my life, but peoples comments sometimes do get to me.

Interesting,

The only times I have been able to put on 10 pounds was the summer in college where I was going to parties all the time and my 4th year of medical school (a party year). I was drinking weekly. Now I hardly drink and if I do it is just a glass of wine here and there. I wonder how much alcohol has a role in weight control?

Mediterranean

Brilliant_Rock
I''m 5''6" and I swing between 102--106 pounds, depending on what, uh..."time of the month" (shall we say?) it is... I''ve never even made it into a size with a "number" on it, I''m a 0 or 00 depending on the manufacturer. My wedding dress has had to be taken in pretty drastically despite being purchased in the smallest size the designer makes.

I''ve always been built this way. I have bird-bones (5" wrist circumference) as does my Mom''s whole side of the family: we''re all pretty thin... When I was a kid, it wreaked havoc on my self esteem, because other kids can be mean.

There just has to be a "switch" in your head that you shut off when it comes to people''s comments. It''s usually simple ignorance; people don''t know about metabolism, frame size, or any of the other particulars when it comes to body mass. Perhaps there are some people who feel better about themselves when they imagine that you starve, vomit, or otherwise suffer to maintain a weight that they may (secretly, unbeknown to you) be desperately trying to achieve with no success. You just don''t know what''s going on in other people''s minds, or what motivates them, but what you DO know is that they aren''t important, so it doesn''t really matter.

For instance, my fiance''s sister has been telling my future mother-in-law that I am bulemic. She went so far as to fabricate a story about me--that I went to the restroom to vomit after Christmas Eve dinner (before this story, she had tried to say I was anorexic, a claim that looked foolish when I ate a normal amount with the family each time we sat down for a meal).

I know that such rumors are swirling within my fiance''s family, still. I have said/done absolutely nothing to counter their claims, because I figure that when they show up to our wedding and see my family, it will be quite obvious that ths is our particular genetic reality....unless my FSIL wants to posit us as AN EXTENDED FAMILY riddled with eating disorders
20.gif
which is farfetched, and would make her look unstable.

Don''t sweat the small stuff....

stacy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 3/22/2009 6:35:17 PM
Author: JulieN
Sure, it''s easy to get offended by comments like that. I used to.

But, you know, it''s cool. women who say that aren''t mad at other skinny women. They''re mad at the pressure to be thin. It''s not personal.
I think this is a great point.

Of course, I am sure it''s hard not to take it personally when you feel like people are critiquing your body.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
totally with you, I wear a 00
23.gif
but I can''t help it, its just the way I am, DH is pretty thin himself, he''s the thinnest in his family, but with our last child, he apparently gained just as much as me- must be empathy, I''ve lost mine he''s ... umm working on it
9.gif

brightlight

Brilliant_Rock
What really makes me angry is when people assume that all thin people have eating disorders. I know a couple who both work in the mental health field, and they constantly are diagnosing people they have never met of being anorexic (and also having other mental disorders). I''m naturally a thin person, and it has always been very easy for me to lose weight. I found out that this couple had been talking about how they thought I was anorexic, b/c I couldn''t naturally be as skinny as I am. It made me so mad.
29.gif

Brown.Eyed.Girl

Ideal_Rock

Seriously! My grandma did this years ago when I was in high school (talk about a bad time to talk to a girl about weight!). She saw a picture of me and left a message on our answering machine, saying she thinks I''ve gained a bit of weight.
32.gif
At that time, I was 5''1" and probably about 105 lbs.

I have to say, I rarely get comments on my weight - at least not in a negative way. I''m still 5''1" and I''m at 100 lbs now, and wear juniors in all my jeans, but I think between my being really short, and possibly because I''m Asian, people just think I''m naturally small rather than having bad eating habits. Or, most likely, the people who know me all know that I love to eat!

Although funny story: when BF and I were in New Zealand, we were getting fitted out with the bungy jumping harness. The guy working there who was helping me kept having to cinch the straps tighter so the harness would stay on, and finally says in exasperation, "Dude! How small are you!?!"
3.gif

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
Now that I am in residency, I get a lot less accusations about having an eating disorder than I did in the past. Since I am at work all the time, people see me eat and see that I do eat. It has been funny, because people now just admit that they are jealous instead of making the mean comments. Or they make comments that I won''t be able to eat like this for the rest of my life. Well, I know this, and I feel like in the last couple years, my appetite has gone down. But I think that is good because I am in tune with my body and not just eating to eat.

DiaDiva

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/25/2009 2:31:37 PM
Author: vespergirl
I think part of the problem is that overweight and obese has become the new ''normal'' in the US. Since 60% of American women are now overweight or obese, then medium to thin women are viewed as ''too thin,'' even though that size is the actual healthy weight.

Don''t feel bad about yourself - it sounds like you have a lovely body. As long as you are eating a healthy diet and exercising, you should fell good about yourself.

I totally agree. I recently moved to the US and am constantly amazed at how large many people are (don''t mean to offend anyone but that''s just an observation) and how huge the servings of food are.

I''m 5ft 5 in and weigh 123lb, back home I would NEVER be considered thin but here, I''m actually "thin". It lulls a girl into a false sense of security. Hahaha...

y2kitty

Brilliant_Rock
I really wish people would stop commenting one way (too thin) or the other (too overweight) at all. To me, its all very inappropriate. I think the only time you should comment about someone''s weight is if they have been working to lose it (or gain it) and you know that was their intention and its not a medical problem.

honey22

Ideal_Rock
Date: 7/5/2009 1:32:11 AM
Author: y2kitty
I really wish people would stop commenting one way (too thin) or the other (too overweight) at all. To me, its all very inappropriate. I think the only time you should comment about someone''s weight is if they have been working to lose it (or gain it) and you know that was their intention and its not a medical problem.

Ditto. Weight is such a personal emotive issue, it''s never ok to give your opinion on other people unless invited.

I would love love love for someone to call me thin as I have struggled for my weight for years. But never in a million years would I tell someone they are too skinny etc, as I know it can be as hurtful as someone telling me I am too fat.

If I think someone looks fabulous or has a great figure, and I feel like the conversation or our relationship is one that I can say it, I will say they look great etc, but I would never ever call someone too skinny!

cindygenit

Brilliant_Rock
Its really not fair to comment on people''s weight like that especially if its their natural body shape.

I must admit i have made a "too skinny" comment before to a family friend who drastically went from AUS size 14 to size 4/6 and she was tall (5''9"). Now I am more aware about her feelings and i don''t mention it anymore. As long as she''s happy with her body, it doesn''t matter what I think.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results