shape
carat
color
clarity

To the ladies that have thick(er) baskets in their settings.

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock
I have a quick question, I am working with Chris from ERD on designing a setting for my girlfriend's ring... Her only requirement is that it has to have pave on the shank and the prongs. I already chose the Julianna setting for her (CAD has not been done yet, just ordered yesterday), but I'm wondering since the basket is pretty thick... if that detracts/hinders how the diamond may perform if less light is coming in from the sides or does that not matter at all? Should I go with a setting that has a smaller basket and is not as thick?

For you ladies that have a design like the Julianna or a thicker basket, do you feel the diamond doesn't perform as well???

http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/recently-sold-6-7.html

Thanks for your opinions!

Md123456789

Shiny_Rock
Re: To the ladies that have thick(er) baskets in their setti

Hi TitanCi!

Just saw this thread.. I am no expert but I do have a ring with Pave prongs.

I haven't worked with Mark at ERD on a project but have met with him a few times about different projects, including making my setting. I don't think that his pictures online do his rings justice. They look very "CAD" like. Have you seenn this finished version of the Juliana ring on the "Recently Sold" page?

http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/recently-sold-24-2.html

It looks really gorgeous to me! The prongs don't look heavy. I also think that with the shank width being 2mm, a more delicate box would look a little out of proportion.

I actually went with more delicate, thin, prongs on my setting and while I love it, I am having the head remade with slightly thicker wire and think it might look more balanced:

G%20Jezarian%20Reset%202.jpg

Mark is wonderful and I think you will be extremely pleased!

p.s. if you link to the setting, you might get more responses :) i just happened to look at the Juliana and Anita settings myself so knew what you were referring to.

Md123456789

Shiny_Rock

p.s. for reference, the shank width on my ring is 1.7-1.8 and the stone is 7.5-7.6.

swingirl

Ideal_Rock

If you are going to displace metal with diamonds you need a certain amount of thickness for strength; strength to work as a prong to hold the center stone and strength to hold in the pave stones on the prong. ERD has the skill to make a very delicate pave setting and will use the amount of metal they need to make a strong and beautiful ring. Don't forget that the light comes in the top of your diamond, not the sides.

I don't think the Julianna setting has thick prongs or a thick basket. A little thicker than plain prongs but not really THICK.

Mico

Brilliant_Rock

Md123456789|1336759753|3193184 said:
Hi TitanCi!

Just saw this thread.. I am no expert but I do have a ring with Pave prongs.

I haven't worked with Mark at ERD on a project but have met with him a few times about different projects, including making my setting. I don't think that his pictures online do his rings justice. They look very "CAD" like. Have you seenn this finished version of the Juliana ring on the "Recently Sold" page?

http://www.engagementringsdirect.com/recently-sold-24-2.html

It looks really gorgeous to me! The prongs don't look heavy. I also think that with the shank width being 2mm, a more delicate box would look a little out of proportion.

I actually went with more delicate, thin, prongs on my setting and while I love it, I am having the head remade with slightly thicker wire and think it might look more balanced:

G%20Jezarian%20Reset%202.jpg

Mark is wonderful and I think you will be extremely pleased!

p.s. if you link to the setting, you might get more responses :) i just happened to look at the Juliana and Anita settings myself so knew what you were referring to.

I'm glad you responded on this, I was going to direct him to your ring.

Who was your jeweler again?

Md123456789

Shiny_Rock

My jeweler was Gregory Jezarian. I actually got quotes from several PS vendors in NYC who make handforged designs for this ring: steven kirsch, leon mege, and engagement rings direct. My jeweler's price beat Leon and Steven Kirsch considerably. ERD came in a little lower but I just liked the look of the band on the one I went with a little bit more because it isn't "domed". Plus, ERD would only go to 1.9 mm. LOVE my jeweler and my ring.

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock

Thanks ladies for the replies! I gave them the OK, and they answered my concerns just like you ladies did! I be sure to post up plenty of pictures when it's all complete! :wavey:

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Assuming you bought an excellent cut diamond, the light is reflected from the top and it doesn't matter at all how much of the sides are covered. I would eliminate the diamonds on the bottom of the little doughnut at the bottom of the basket, though, so she can wear a wedding band with it.

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock

diamondseeker2006|1338666517|3207983 said:
Assuming you bought an excellent cut diamond, the light is reflected from the top and it doesn't matter at all how much of the sides are covered. I would eliminate the diamonds on the bottom of the little doughnut at the bottom of the basket, though, so she can wear a wedding band with it.

DS - I did get an ex. cut. The IS image was awesome, and the HCA score was 0.8. We're very happy with the stone! Did you see my thread about the stone from JA?

I told Chris at ERD that the donut was a concern to me, but he assured me it would be okay. He thought it wouldn't look "right" without the donut. When I saw the CADs, the first thing that popped into my mind was 'sh!t, the wedding band is going to be rubbing up on the donut, and there'll be a gap between the ER and WB cuz of the donut.' I voiced my concern to him, and he told me donuts have been around forever and people seldom have issues with the donut and WB (in his experience). I dunno...

TitanCi

Brilliant_Rock

Bahh! So nervous, the ERD setting will be done in 1 week. Anxious to see how it turns out!!!

Do any of you wonderful ladies have any ERD completed rings to share with me? :bigsmile: :wavey:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results