shape
carat
color
clarity

To Size Up or To Size Down? -- That is the question! (Costco / shared prong)

Niffl3r

Rough_Rock
Oh mighty PS experts, I request your wisdom!

I am currently looking at purchasing the 0.35 ctw diamond *shared prong* platinum band available at Costco. They only offer whole sizes, and I need a 5.5... If I decide to purchase, should I go with the size 5 and resize up, or go with the size 6 and resize down? I know that sizing up is more costly, but will sizing down on a shared prong band significantly increase the chances of compromised structural integrity = losing stones? Or is a half size no big deal for any decent jeweler? How would you go about it if it were you?

[The band linked here for anyone interested in seeing the exact ring in question.]

Also, if anyone has purchased this band, I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.

Thank you!

1579673261509.png

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Not sure about cost, but getting the size 6 and having sizing beads added could be a good solution for you since you only have to go down by half a size. Removing them is also pretty easy if you end up needing to go up to 6 someday.

I like this option best. Any sizing can affect the integrity of the setting of the stones even though it’s not an eternity. I’d get the larger size and add sizing beads. Easily removed if your finger size increases over time and imo they are very comfortable and I’m like the princess and the pea so fwiw.

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
Not sure about cost, but getting the size 6 and having sizing beads added could be a good solution for you since you only have to go down by half a size. Removing them is also pretty easy if you end up needing to go up to 6 someday.

This.

Karl_K

Super_Ideal_Rock
Trade
I would not resize that ring.

Niffl3r

Rough_Rock
I have this band in size 7. It fits larger, like my 7 1/4 bands.

I would order both size 5 and 6 and see which one is a closer fit. The you can just return the other one.

Hi, thanks for this. A reviewer on their website also mentioned it running a little large. I will go into my local Costco next weekend and see if they have either size in warehouse for me to try on. Do you like the band?

bling_dream19

Ideal_Rock
I love Costco jewelry @Niffl3r and I think you will love it! I agree on ordering both sizes and either using sizing beads or perhaps one of them might work.

GlitterInMyHair

Brilliant_Rock
Hi, thanks for this. A reviewer on their website also mentioned it running a little large. I will go into my local Costco next weekend and see if they have either size in warehouse for me to try on. Do you like the band?

Yes, I really like it. It feels smooth and sturdy on the finger and is very sparkly.

Last edited:

DelicateNDainty

Rough_Rock
@Niffl3r would you mind posting a pic of this band on your hand? I have one on order and have not been successful in finding an on hand pic anywhere!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results