shape
carat
color
clarity

To Sidestone or Not to Sidestone

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Robyn12

Shiny_Rock
Hello,

I am trying to figure out what kind of ring I'd like -- I'm pretty sure I'd like a cushion center stone with a platinum band. I'm thinking it'll be about (or just under) 2 ct. I wanted to get everyone's opinion on sidestones. Do you have them? Are you glad you got them? Do you have any ideas on which sidestones (or other settings) look good with cushions?

I appreciate any opinions!

Thanks!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
For a cushion I would do something like a pave or melee stone look and not clutter with sidestones. See Leon Mege's website, he has some amazing cushion cuts with pave sidestones...soooo beautiful!!
1.gif

Better yet look at this thread:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/favorite-leon-mege-setting.10181/

The first one is the one I am thinking of which would look lovely with a CC I think! I think the stone in there is an OMC or similar.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Have you tried 2 ct rings on to see how they look on your finger? Try some with and without side stones and see how they look on your finger. If your finger is really tiny (like a 4.5 or a 5), a ring w/side stones may be uncomfortable (or at least they are on my hand).

Michelle

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
I like small colored accent stones like rubies or sapphires -- especially in pave. I am not a big fan of three stone diamond rings or diamond accents.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Cushion cut diamonds are unusual enough and combining them with sides would produce a really rare (never seen another) look.

How about...small hart shape sides ?
1.gif

I love their unusual and elegat look aside old cuts (such as a squarish old miner), so why not near a cushion. One barely hears about hart shapes on PS, and that's a shame
8.gif

This is close to what I have in mind.

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
Hi I love the cushion look too...and I like it with sidestones...I have see them with round, trillian, and half round (or half moon)...

I have a Regent which is a modern cushion...with the brilliance/sparkle of a round...but the great shape of a cushion...

I chose round sapphires for my sides and looked at different diameters to see which I like better next to the diamond before I had it set...I had it set in a Vatche truffle platinum...I love it :)

diane5006

Brilliant_Rock
here is a pic...

Best of luck in your search

my ering finished6.jpg

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
I have a round 3 ct set in platinum and have sidestones. I have a small round and tapered baguette on each side. I love the look.I love my setting. Personally, I think a ring w/o looks alittle naked. A local jeweler offered me a larger stone and would throw in a platinum Tiffany style setting. I tried in on and knew it was not for me. I would not overdo the sidestones either. I have a friend with a large pearshape and has a very ornate setting. It definitely takes away from the main stone.

A cushion is a beautiful shape and I am sure will look fine w/o. It will look outstanding, however, with the right side stones. I would keep it in diamonds. Just my 2 cents.

Groovy Chick

Shiny_Rock
In my opinion, it would look great with or without sides. It doesn't matter, just take time to try on heaps of rings to help you decide what really floats your boat. Personally, i think "less is more" if you have a nice big stone. However, the right sides can add extra oompf. If it's for an e-ring, i'd go for the solitaire (i've just done that with a pear and i love it!) then get a three-stone for your eternity ring (past, present, future). To me, a solitaire e-ring is totally classy and chic, and your jewellery won't look too "busy" when you add rings later on.

stephcola

Shiny_Rock
Hi,

It's me again. A complicated setting will be just that. A few tastefully done sidestones will adorn your center stone beautifully. As for looking too busy - a matter of taste. I have a 3ct with a round and a tapered baguette on each side. Side stones totally about 80 pts. For my 10th anniversary, I got a round anniversary band with 30 point round stones all around. The stones are the same size as the round side stones in my engagement ring setting. Everything is in platinum and is fabulous!!!! I have yet to run into anyone (grocery clerks, people on airplanes, etc) who doesn't marvel at my rings!! It is not too busy - just fabulous. Pick what you like.Over the years your taste my change and you may want to have your stone reset. I did this at 10 years as well. I have friends who have anniversary bands they do not wear on the same hand as their engagement rings so don't worry about that either. Thnik about what you love now - forget about later on!!!

Good luck!!!!

Look at and try on alot of rings. You will know when one suits your tastes.

P.S.

I have a Martin Flyer setting and you might want to look at their website. You can also see my ring (I know that it is round and you are talking about a cushion) just to see what it looks like w/ side stones on the thread

"Stephcola's back and Rich gave my stone the thumbs up." It is a very long thread but Rich Sherwood - appraiser

"extraordinaire" posted some photos of my ring for me.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results