shape
carat
color
clarity

To owners/wearers of MMD... (poll)

To those who own MMD and participate in Pricescope, how do you categorize/think of MMD?

• Fine jewelry

Votes: 46 71.9%
  • Semi/Demi-Fine jewelry

Votes: 12 18.8%
  • Fashion jewelry

Votes: 2 3.1%
  • Depends on the metal used in the setting

Votes: 4 6.3%
  • Other/will explain in comments

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
To those who participate in Pricescope and own MMD jewelry, I am wondering how you would classify it, and how you think of it in relation to your other jewelry. If I may, I’d like to limit discussion on this poll and thread to those who own/wear MMD as I am really curious about first-hand accounts rather than speculation. Thanks!

monipod

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely fine jewellery to me. I am possibly less precious about my .50ctw studs but that's more because I can replace them fairly easily and without breaking the bank but they aren't casual jewellery to me at all. As for my Asscher... I could never see it as anything other than a real diamond...

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Definitely fine jewellery to me. I am possibly less precious about my .50ctw studs but that's more because I can replace them fairly easily and without breaking the bank but they aren't casual jewellery to me at all. As for my Asscher... I could never see it as anything other than a real diamond...

Your asscher is gorgeous :kiss2:

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
It's a diamond and still a luxury purchase, so I chose fine jewelry. Of course I would also take into consideration the setting, overall cost and purpose of the item (like lightbox mini-studs are different than a multi-carat ring to me).

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
(like lightbox mini-studs are different than a multi-carat ring to me).

That’s part of what got me thinking about this. Lightbox seems to be trying to position MMD as fashion or semi-fine jewelry. I’m wondering if their marketing is resonating with actual customers this time around.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
That’s part of what got me thinking about this. Lightbox seems to be trying to position MMD as fashion or semi-fine jewelry. I’m wondering if their marketing is resonating with actual customers this time around.

I think that people may opt for inexpensive MMD over CZ or moissanite. Or they may just buy more diamond jewelry than they would otherwise. I don't think of low price point jewelry incorporating small mined diamonds as fine jewelry either, more like something in between "fine" and "costume".

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
I definitely see them as fine, which is one reason I won’t buy silver settings from lightbox any longer. They’re incongruent with how I now view mmd.

Interesting! Would you buy from LB and reset or just skip them altogether?

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock
Interesting! Would you buy from LB and reset or just skip them altogether?

I bought the 1 carat princess from Lightbox right when it came online. At the time, I didn't know how I'd perceive it in terms of fine vs. semi-fine vs. costume jewelry. I never had even a carat before and jumped at the chance. I now have two other pieces from them in silver. But this was before they offered gold. At this point, I would only buy gold settings no matter the vendor. In the experience of having the pieces, nothing about them feels costume.

I have not decided what to do with the silver pieces. For right now, I'm happy to keep them as is.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
I bought the 1 carat princess from Lightbox right when it came online. At the time, I didn't know how I'd perceive it in terms of fine vs. semi-fine vs. costume jewelry. I never had even a carat before and jumped at the chance. I now have two other pieces from them in silver. But this was before they offered gold. At this point, I would only buy gold settings no matter the vendor. In the experience of having the pieces, nothing about them feels costume.

I have not decided what to do with the silver pieces. For right now, I'm happy to keep them as is.

Thanks for sharing your experience! Does the fact that they use 10k gold make any difference to you? I ask because 10k isn’t traditionally considered to be “fine jewelry” and to me that feels like a deliberate choice on the part of LB (DeBeers) to position MMD in a “lesser” category, if that makes sense.

elizat

Ideal_Rock
Thanks for sharing your experience! Does the fact that they use 10k gold make any difference to you? I ask because 10k isn’t traditionally considered to be “fine jewelry” and to me that feels like a deliberate choice on the part of LB (DeBeers) to position MMD in a “lesser” category, if that makes sense.

I have a pair of the light box studs.

They are 10K.

I don't consider it to be fine jewelry because of the metal. The stones are diamonds, but the metal to me is not what you would use for fine jewelry being 10k gold.

vintageloves

Shiny_Rock

I know 10K gold is not generally considered "fine" but my issue with silver is that it tarnishes. As for gold and rose gold plated silver, the plating wears off. 10K gold is still a product that will last a lifetime, even if I wish it were 14K.

Ever since Lightbox was announced, there has been speculation that the imprint's goal was to malign the reputation lab diamonds. Common speculation was that the diamonds were going to be poorly cut and of poor color/clarity. That turned out not to be true.

Lightbox has evolved. The initial marketing heavily focused on teenagers with the idea that "this is diamond jewelry you wouldn't mind if you lost on the beach." They were never going to offer gold. They were never going to go above 1 carat and most of their pieces would be small carat size, focusing on "fun, trendy" design. The models they use now are older. Their latest designs have been solitaires with larger stones. And, of course, they now offer 10K in three gold colors.

I don't know if there's some secret plan to use LB to make lab diamonds seem lesser. All I can say is that they do seem to be responding to customer demand and updating. It might be that they've realized no one sees mmd quite as "costume" (not to mention the absurdity of not caring about losing a $500 necklace at the beach) but they are still hoping to distinguish it from bridal. But that's just my speculation.

I would not be the least bit surprised if in 3 years time DeBeers is announcing a new line of lab grown bridal rings. They'll divorce it from LB so it can seem "premium." And it will be very popular.

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Mine are in 18 kt yg so I consider them fine jewelry.

ForteKitty

Ideal_Rock

I hated the 10k and reset my 1ctw pink lightbox studs immediately. They are my only pair of MMD so far. My body composition seems to make 10k smell metallic (TMI sorry), so I can smell the metal alloys in the earrings after a few hours. They've been reset into 14k yg bezels with beading on the outside, and I consider them fine jewelry now.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
I hated the 10k and reset my 1ctw pink lightbox studs immediately. They are my only pair of MMD so far. My body composition seems to make 10k smell metallic (TMI sorry), so I can smell the metal alloys in the earrings after a few hours. They've been reset into 14k yg bezels with beading on the outside, and I consider them fine jewelry now.

Your reset was so good! I’m so tempted by the pink MMD everytime Bloomie’s has them on sale (like right now) but I tend to wear my regular studs 24/7 so I know they’d just sit in the jewelry box like all my other earrings.

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
I consider them fine, especially at current prices. As long as the metal doesn't change color I'm happy. I can't tell between 10k to 18k white gold anyway. I own 5 LB pieces (I know! Omg) and really like them all. Then again, I'm not comfortable spending more than several hundred on a single piece of jewelry so I'm probably not the typical pricescoper! I'm just waiting for the 2 ctw studs to come back in stock and I'll be done with jewelry. Unless there are affordable asschers or dbty necklaces or bracelets or dainty eternity rings then I may be tempted to grab a few more pieces.

GreenPapaya

Brilliant_Rock
@123ducklings Hahahaha! Wait, they aren't??? :)
I'm just spoiled by the Bloomingdale's sales. In fact, I hope LB will send their 2 ctw studs to Bloomingdale's. ;)2

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock
Where are all those demi/semi fine folks?

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
I really like my lightbox 1ctw studs and was hoping for the 2ctw but missed the restock. However, i would prefer a different setting- i'm starting to look around at some other vendors because in some cases the cost difference is not that big when you take into account the cost of earring settings... the 10ct is a little "itchy" for me (sensitive skin but not a full-on nickel allergy) and i feel like the martini studs stretch my piercing a little.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I consider lab diamonds to be fine jewelry and that’s why I would also eschew anything less than 14k gold.

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
I voted semi-fine. I have moissy and lab studs but I don't consider them to be on the same level as my earth-mined studs.

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I voted semi-fine. I have moissy and lab studs but I don't consider them to be on the same level as my earth-mined studs.

Ooh could we please see photos comparing the 3?

MrsBlue

Brilliant_Rock
Hi @missy ! Not sure if mixed-stone posts are allowed but I'll give it a shot.

Here's a K color .8ct (6mm) stud from WF in an 18k yg setting next to a bitty F/G color .125ct labbie in rhodium plated 14k wg. The bitty ones get the most wear.

I don't have pics of the moissanite studs handy but they're 6.5 mm stones in 14k yg. I feel like I'm wearing traffic lights when I have those on so I'm sad to say they spend a lot of time sleeping in their little box.

The 1.6ctw pair is 1 ACA and 1 ES stone. I think these are my forever earrings. I am smitten.

8v125.JPG ACA_ES.jpg

AprilBaby

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If they weren’t in 18k would that make them feel semi-fine or fashion to you?

The lightbox in small sizes in silver felt costume to me. Small mined diamonds in silver would feel costume to me.

FL_runner

Brilliant_Rock
The lightbox in small sizes in silver felt costume to me. Small mined diamonds in silver would feel costume to me.

Thank you- this is a clearer way of stating how I feel about costume versus fine jewelry.

123ducklings

Brilliant_Rock

Could you pin point why they feel semi-fine? Cost? Provenance? Quality of cut?

I am turning over these same considerations, trying to figure out where I land.

Buttercookies

Brilliant_Rock
Could you pin point why they feel semi-fine? Cost? Provenance? Quality of cut?

I am turning over these same considerations, trying to figure out where I land.

For me, any thing in 18K or 24K and it's fine jewelry. Take example lapis lazuli which range from $1-$150 per carat. But put that in 18k gold egg pendant from Tiffany and suddenly it's fine jewelry.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results