shape
carat
color
clarity

To Leo or Not To Leo

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

zingit

Rough_Rock
After shopping at Fred to Tiffany - surprisingly I''ve finally found the perfect setting at Jared and a Leo cut was suggested by the staff and seemed to be exceptionally brilliant under the million dollar lights and in natural lights. I understand the 4 Cs but have no idea about these extra facet cuts...there also seems to be a bit of a premium, but then again that may be for the Jared lifetime insurance, replacement, cleaning - is the Leo/Jared combo a gimmick?!

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
My understanding is that the Leo diamonds are well cut stones but very over-priced. What size stone are you looking for? We can help you find some comparable stones to compare. Do a search on Leo and Jared here on PS and you will find a few threads written by people who owed Leos.

zingit

Rough_Rock
Thanks for the response - i''ll look at the posts for Leo remarks.

I''m looking in the neighborhood of 2ct (1.75 - 2)
Color: g-h
Clarity: VS1 - S1

swingirl

Ideal_Rock
What did Jared's quote you for a stone the size you were looking for?

That is quite a range in size, etc. but here are a few to compare.

1.55ct G SI1

2.06ct I SI1

jstarfireb

Ideal_Rock
I don''t know much about Leos, but extra facets are usually a gimmick. A regular ideal cut RB will be just as bright and sparkly as a Leo provided that the cut is right. Branded cuts like the Leo also tend to be more expensive than a similarly beautiful non-branded ideal. Furthermore, Leos tend to be cut deep, with hidden carat weight in the depth that doesn''t contribute to spread.

Something else to consider...the extra facets do change the personality of a diamond, such that a diamond with more facets will tend to have more, smaller flashes of light, whereas a regular ideal RB will have bigger but fewer flashes. So the sparkle of a Leo might be a bit reminiscent of a princess cut rather than RB.

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/22/2009 2:20:07 AM
Author: jstarfireb
I don''t know much about Leos, but extra facets are usually a gimmick. A regular ideal cut RB will be just as bright and sparkly as a Leo provided that the cut is right. Branded cuts like the Leo also tend to be more expensive than a similarly beautiful non-branded ideal. Furthermore, Leos tend to be cut deep, with hidden carat weight in the depth that doesn''t contribute to spread.

Something else to consider...the extra facets do change the personality of a diamond, such that a diamond with more facets will tend to have more, smaller flashes of light, whereas a regular ideal RB will have bigger but fewer flashes. So the sparkle of a Leo might be a bit reminiscent of a princess cut rather than RB.
Ditto

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/22/2009 5:41:34 AM
Author: Lorelei

Date: 2/22/2009 2:20:07 AM
Author: jstarfireb

Ditto
Thritto.

Which translates to, you''re paying a lot more, for the look of less.

juliejewels

Rough_Rock
My fiancce ended up at Jarad's and he paid $11,000 for my 1.5 centerstone- this does not included the setting or mounting. It is a beautiful stone , but IMO overpriced. While I love it, I wish he would have been open to shopping online, he either could have spent less, or I could have gotten a bigger center stone
41.gif

It is not a Leo diamond and it sparkles and shines. The leos were beautiful, not no more than the ideal/excellent cut RB's they had.

PS: The service at Jarads come with what ever you buy there . Also, check you bill as they were trying to double charge us to the tune of $600 for some "insurance" that already comes with the purchase of a diamond there. It was a pleasant experience shoping at Jarad's, but as it all went down and we got the finished ring, I pobably would have gone with Tiffany if I knew I would have ended up with a solitaire RB. ( I am a sucker for the name) or I would have gone to GOG online.

ImpatientOne

Brilliant_Rock
JMHO, but if you want to see the difference between a Leo and an Ideal cut stone, go back into Jared's and ask them to show you one of their Peerless diamonds alongside the Leo. I guarantee you the Leo will pale in comparison!

You can get a MUCH better deal online from one of the PS recommended vendors, but if I had to choose something from Jared's, I would choose a Peerles over a Leo any day.

ring tutor

Rough_Rock
The mere fact that the Leo has more facets, does not mean it will have better light return. I have had a lot of exposure to the Gabrielle diamond which has 105 facets and I have to tell you this is a simple case of beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I found that the majority of my customers found the Gabrielle "too busy" , over priced, and actually preferred a round brilliant (58 facets) with an excellent cut grade from GIA. GIA will not even assign a cut grade to these "modified" diamonds that have more than 58 facets. If you want great light return, I always recommend a standard round brilliant with the GIA cut grade of very good or better or an AGS 000.
ring tutor

Lorelei

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/3/2009 6:51:44 PM
Author: ImpatientOne
JMHO, but if you want to see the difference between a Leo and an Ideal cut stone, go back into Jared''s and ask them to show you one of their Peerless diamonds alongside the Leo. I guarantee you the Leo will pale in comparison!

You can get a MUCH better deal online from one of the PS recommended vendors, but if I had to choose something from Jared''s, I would choose a Peerles over a Leo any day.
Good advice!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results