shape
carat
color
clarity

to keep or not to keep? small purple blue spinel

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
Hi everyone---

I had a quick question on a small purple blue color change spinel that I bought from a PS vendor to set in a simple bezel ring.

The color is surprisingly lovely to me (was not expecting much, given the low price), and while the cutting isn't great, I find it tolerable.

blue.jpg purple.jpg

However, the stone was described as "VVS", but I see a small surface reaching inclusion under the table, just barely visible with the naked eye, as well as a little nick on the girdle.

Different angles of the inclusion:
inclusion1.jpg inclusion2.jpg
Nick on girdle:
nick.jpg

Closeup of stone, that shows how barely visible the inclusion is:
close_up_0.jpg
Vendor pic for comparison:
vendorpic1.jpg

I'm pretty new to buying colored stones, so I'm still getting a feel for how picky I should be, especially with these less expensive stones.

TL;DR Would you keep the stone, or pass on it?

Thank you! :wavey:

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think the color is lovely, but if it was advertised as being VVS but has a visible inclusion (Which it looks like that is), then I would definitely speak to the vendor about it. At the very least the advertised clarity is incorrect so the price should have been lower.

But I also wonder if you LOVE this stone--I've learned the hard way not to keep anything I dont LOVE within a day or two, because the times I have the stone ends up sitting in my jewelry box unworn.

Good luck with whatever you decide and keep us posted :)

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
lovedogs said:
I think the color is lovely, but if it was advertised as being VVS but has a visible inclusion (Which it looks like that is), then I would definitely speak to the vendor about it. At the very least the advertised clarity is incorrect so the price should have been lower.

But I also wonder if you LOVE this stone--I've learned the hard way not to keep anything I dont LOVE within a day or two, because the times I have the stone ends up sitting in my jewelry box unworn.

Good luck with whatever you decide and keep us posted :)
Thanks for the feedback, lovedogs! :wavey: I actually really like the stone, and the ring design I have in mind would be very casual, so my initial reaction is that the stone is good enough for this project.

I have emailed the vendor and am awaiting a response regarding the inclusion. Not that I am expecting a price adjustment of any kind, I am unsure how much lower the price could even go, given that it was really affordable to begin with.

I guess I am just curious if the surface reaching inclusion under the table would automatically make the stone a no-go for most buyers here on PS.

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
1. Depends on how much I love it
2. Depends on the mm size
3. Depends on the price

Lisa Loves Shiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
The color is extremely lovely IMHO. Since you asked- for what it's worth I would not accept a surface reaching inclusion that is located on the table of a gem.

S

SparkliesLuver

I looked up the stone (since I recognize the vendor) so I could have more background information. It was a great deal! ;-) Would you wear the casual ring often? I'd be concerned about hitting it and making that inclusion a lot larger. For me, it'd boil down to how much I love the stone and if I thought I could find another one (without such an issue).

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Chrono|1462883542|4029713 said:
3. Depends on the price

2. Nearly 8 x 6 mm, so it's a decent size
3. Price is a steal!

So, it'll depend on how much you love it. I would contact the vendor to ask about the surface reaching inclusion and girdle nick (could be a natural).

Desertrose

Shiny_Rock
Trade
May I ask who the vendor is that has such great prices?

Beautiful stone! I would keep it if you love it and it was a good price. Sometimes I like stones even more when I know I got them for a great deal! :lol:

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
LisaRN said:
The color is extremely lovely IMHO. Since you asked- for what it's worth I would not accept a surface reaching inclusion that is located on the table of a gem.
Thanks for the honest response, LisaRN! :) That inclusion has definitely been the only reason why I've been waffling back and forth so much about keeping the stone...

SparkliesLuver said:
I looked up the stone (since I recognize the vendor) so I could have more background information. It was a great deal! ;-) Would you wear the casual ring often? I'd be concerned about hitting it and making that inclusion a lot larger. For me, it'd boil down to how much I love the stone and if I thought I could find another one (without such an issue).
Great sleuthing skills, SparkliesLuver! :D It wouldn't be a ring I wear daily but more often than, let's say, my paraiba ring. I guess I'd still have to be pretty careful wearing it. Great point---the low price would make the stone fairly easy to replace if I needed to.

Chrono said:
Chrono|1462883542|4029713 said:
3. Depends on the price

2. Nearly 8 x 6 mm, so it's a decent size
3. Price is a steal!

So, it'll depend on how much you love it. I would contact the vendor to ask about the surface reaching inclusion and girdle nick (could be a natural).
Thanks for the input, Chrono! :wavey: The vendor got back to me and said that he didn't anticipate any issues with setting the stone, and that the girdle nick did indeed look like a natural. He offered a no time limit return should any issues arise with the stone in the future, which I thought was incredibly generous, so I think I'll keep it. :)

Desertrose said:
May I ask who the vendor is that has such great prices?

Beautiful stone! I would keep it if you love it and it was a good price. Sometimes I like stones even more when I know I got them for a great deal! :lol:
Thank you, Desertrose! :) Haha yes, the low price does sweeten the deal. It was GLI (Litnon). The vendor has really been such a pleasure to work with.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, how kind of him to offer unlimited return window! I've never purchased from litnon, but have had great experiences on the few occasions when I inquired about stones. I'm glad you're keeping it, the color is gorgeous!

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
lovedogs said:
Wow, how kind of him to offer unlimited return window! I've never purchased from litnon, but have had great experiences on the few occasions when I inquired about stones. I'm glad you're keeping it, the color is gorgeous!

Thanks, lovedogs! :) I know, I thought that was so incredibly kind of him!

Arcadian

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I've always liked working with Michael so maybe a bit biased. ;-) IMO set it and see because I don't think you can lose really. Is Spinel considered a Type II gem? Anyone know for sure?

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
Arcadian said:
I've always liked working with Michael so maybe a bit biased. ;-) IMO set it and see because I don't think you can lose really. Is Spinel considered a Type II gem? Anyone know for sure?

Thanks, Arcadian! Glad to hear you had a positive experience working with him too. :) I searched online to see if spinel is a Type II gem, and it looks like it is.

S

SparkliesLuver

blushpeony said:
Great sleuthing skills, SparkliesLuver! :D It wouldn't be a ring I wear daily but more often than, let's say, my paraiba ring. I guess I'd still have to be pretty careful wearing it. Great point---the low price would make the stone fairly easy to replace if I needed to.

:lol: I only use them to help others! I'd recommend being careful with it regardless, but if you realize you absolutely love the color, then maybe you could start casually looking for a potential replacement/addition. It couldn't hurt! And that was very generous of Michael. Super happy you're keeping it! :)

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
SparkliesLuver said:
:lol: I only use them to help others! I'd recommend being careful with it regardless, but if you realize you absolutely love the color, then maybe you could start casually looking for a potential replacement/addition. It couldn't hurt! And that was very generous of Michael. Super happy you're keeping it! :)
Thanks, SparkliesLuver! :wavey:
I will keep you all posted when I move ahead with my setting plans. :)

T L

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
blushpeony|1462843180|4029559 said:
Hi everyone---

I had a quick question on a small purple blue color change spinel that I bought from a PS vendor to set in a simple bezel ring.

The color is surprisingly lovely to me (was not expecting much, given the low price), and while the cutting isn't great, I find it tolerable.

blue.jpg purple.jpg

However, the stone was described as "VVS", but I see a small surface reaching inclusion under the table, just barely visible with the naked eye, as well as a little nick on the girdle.

Different angles of the inclusion:
inclusion1.jpg inclusion2.jpg
Nick on girdle:
nick.jpg

Closeup of stone, that shows how barely visible the inclusion is:
close_up_0.jpg
Vendor pic for comparison:
vendorpic1.jpg

I'm pretty new to buying colored stones, so I'm still getting a feel for how picky I should be, especially with these less expensive stones.

TL;DR Would you keep the stone, or pass on it?

Thank you! :wavey:

I would most certainly keep it. It's difficult to find blue/violet spinels with such nice color, and I have a similar stone with a needle as well. It doesn't bother me at all.

blushpeony

Shiny_Rock
Thank you for the reassurance, TL! :)

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results