shape
carat
color
clarity

To Halo, or Not to Halo...

Gnoble

Rough_Rock
So I know this is a bit of a personal decision but I would love some opinions. I have always been more attracted to a Halo, but I feel like I'm starting to change my mind. I am going to be purchasing a 1.17carat diamond and am trying to find the perfect setting. I am a bling girl but I still want the center stone to be the main event of you will. I am thinking I like a stacked wedding band look with thin bands. Here are the two settings I think I have narrowed it down too. Basically the same setting however one is a halo, one is not. Perhaps a halo is better below a certain carat weight and non halo above? Or maybe it's just all preference. Any way, would love some thoughts. Thanks!

_35964.jpg

_35965.jpg

_35966.jpg

_35967.jpg

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
It is just personal preference however, if you are a bling girl I think you will enjoy the added "umph" a halo gives a stone.

That being said, I dont like the way the stone is setting in the one you have pictured. The stone is setting up too high.
It should be lower and a little more flush with the halo (IMO). If you pick that one I would ask that they set the stone
much lower.

WillyDiamond

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Op
If you search subject you will find lots of pictures and opinions
Good luck

victorian10

Rough_Rock
Here's my two cents. Not that I'm proud that I have been engaged twice in the past 4 years, but here goes. My old engagement ring... I wanted a halo... something to give my center stone more pop... I didn't want anything loud, just subtle... I was torn between a classic solitaire and a halo... I went for a Tacori Dantella which had a "bloom"... exquisite design detail on the basket. It was lovely. Here's the thing... from the side, you cannot see your diamond or those large flashes that make your rock say "look at me". I had a GIA G color VSI XXX 1.18 carat rock and you couldn't see it in all of it's glory. Round two. Second engagement ring I wanted to "see" my rock ... I got a GIA H color XXX 1.15 SI2 without a halo/bloom. I did select a setting that has prominent prongs with engraved detail and side stones half way up my prongs. I love this ring to the moon and back and it's not hidden by the setting. This was very important to me when selecting my engagement ring. I have pics of both if you'd like to see.

Gnoble

Rough_Rock
victorian10|1452549690|3974417 said:
Here's my two cents. Not that I'm proud that I have been engaged twice in the past 4 years, but here goes. My old engagement ring... I wanted a halo... something to give my center stone more pop... I didn't want anything loud, just subtle... I was torn between a classic solitaire and a halo... I went for a Tacori Dantella which had a "bloom"... exquisite design detail on the basket. It was lovely. Here's the thing... from the side, you cannot see your diamond or those large flashes that make your rock say "look at me". I had a GIA G color VSI XXX 1.18 carat rock and you couldn't see it in all of it's glory. Round two. Second engagement ring I wanted to "see" my rock ... I got a GIA H color XXX 1.15 SI2 without a halo/bloom. I did select a setting that has prominent prongs with engraved detail and side stones half way up my prongs. I love this ring to the moon and back and it's not hidden by the setting. This was very important to me when selecting my engagement ring. I have pics of both if you'd like to see.

I'm pretty sure your thought process has been plucked from my head as to why I am changing my mind about the Halo. I also would love to see your settings!

I also think that since this is a upgrade in size from my first engagement ring (that had been stolen about 6 months ago I am in a new position with dealing with it. My original ring was only .75 this one is over a carat. I have a ring I am returning for a new diamond and setting because I'm not in love with what I got. I think below a carat the halo helps to add a little something to it however once you get over a carat I think it's large enough to really let it shine on its own and not take away from the diamond.

Agree with above about how high the halo sits. It seemed a little high to me as well. Ugh this whole process has been an emotional challenge to say the least. and trying to find the perfect ring is pretty tough. I now know why we let our men pick out our engagement rings. I'm to far invested into diamond knowledge to let my hubby take over now though ;-)

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Victorian10..........pics please! :)

I will agree that the halo definitely will give you a ring some fantastic bling! Hard to resist once seeing a diamond in a halo setting. Ginormous!

I second TyTy333 w the halo pic.... wouldn't want to see the space between the center diamond and the halo. I'm not sure if that means you would need to go custom or what. More flush also or LOVE an under halo (mushroom). Double mushroom! Lol! Also is slightly different than the traditional halo which is always fun!

VERY interesting Victorian10 about your personal exp. with halo vs none...never read a comment like this. I think there is a thread on PS about women who had halo settings and then reset them to be not halo (for whatever the reason).

Halos are hot, hot, hot now......very. Want something more origional? Or love the halo? No wrong answer here :)

What about two side stones? Quarter ct. each? Keeps some added bling? So many choices....

I ended up going to several jewelers and taking pictures of rings on my hand with the same size diamond in the center that I purchased. Took pics and studied them. It was hard. The one thing I personally "dislike" about halos, for me, are the thinner bands (I like chunky jewelry). Although I love the top of the halo looking down, the band was definitely too dainty for me on all the halos I tried on. I think that is what most ladies like (?) about a halo. Very feminine. I also had problems with losing small stones in previous setting(s)....so was a little weary of all the smaller diamonds. Lots to consider. Stacker look is also pretty! Each look is very different. Probably what makes your choice so difficult. It is not like comparing apples with apples.

Best of luck! How exciting! Update us!

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Gnoble... sorry to read someone snatched your diamond. Ugh!

I'm actually the opposite. I much prefer larger diamonds in halo (1 ct plus). I like the contrast a halo makes against the flat table of the center diamond. Don't ask! Lol!

Dang! All this talk makes me want a pink halo! Lol!

Gnoble

Rough_Rock
So I guess one thing I should mention is in order to be able to stack bands flush with the E-ring, the "doughnut" or "basket" but set up a little higher. The current setting I have that I'm returning is absolutely stunning but has a large basket hanging down so I can't find a band that looks right, not even a curved one will do. It was going to be costly to have a ring custom made to fit the ring. After speaking with a diamond expert at Blue Nile he felt I would still not be happy with the non halo setting as it still doesn't allow the bands to sit flush. Ugh. I'm getting discouraged. I may end up setting the stone in an inexpensive classic solitaire setting to be able to enjoy the diamond until I find the perfect setting. I know, if this is my biggest problem right now, I'm doing ok ;-) but after all I have been through I really hoped this process would be easier.

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
Sorry this is frustrating for you. I considered the same thing. Just tossing my new diamond in a $300 plain setting until I could figure it out... and save up some money. I was a little OCD and then did up figuring it out in the end. Makes sense with the Blue Nile expert said and hopefully others can chime in and you can get some helpful suggestions. I will tell you your ring she looks beautiful and has fantastic light returned! The colors!

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a glutton with a size 9 finger, so if it were me, I'd take the $2500 amd tack it onto my center stone budget to maximize size, and set the diamond in a simple $350 solitaire setting. Then I'd stack some thin bands for fun. In the meantime, I'd enjoy the center stone in its shining glory, while slowly saving up for a forever setting nest egg. Maybe I will love the solitaire forever, IDK. But me being me, eventually DSS will set in, and at that point, I may reset or upgrade.

victorian10

Rough_Rock
side_view_dia.jpg front_fire.jpg

OK, sorry, I can't upload very well apparently. First two huge pics are my 1.15 ct H GIA XXX SI2. It's a fire ball... crystal clear... you can see it from all angles & across the room. 2nd two pics shows how the halo hides the diamond. I loved it when I picked it but was soon wishing I had a solitaire. These last two show the fire which I never saw on the halo on account of the side being obscured. Halo diamond was GIA G color XXX VSI 1.18 ct. I hope you can also see no diff between VS1 and S12 in these particular stones... GIA G or H? Virtually the same. :)

cinnamonstick

Brilliant_Rock
FIRE! Someone call 911! Wow!!! Lordy is that pretty! This is interesting! I have never owned a halo so I cannot say. All I know is fire.....ahhh....fire is important. Thank you for posting the pictures and trying to show us the difference with a halo versus without

Gnoble

Rough_Rock
Ok so the first picture was my original engagement ring. No it wasn't the perfect diamond but it's what my husband wanted me to have and I knew nothing about diamonds and I instantly fell in love with it so it was perfect for me and I never questioned it. It was so simple. Picture 2 was my first replacement ring Which I made a bad decision and bought at jareds...I realized my mistake after researching diamonds and returned it. 3rd picture is my current ring that I will be shipping back to blue Nile tomorrow. Quality in diamonds goes up from pic 1-3 lol. Current diamond I have on hold pretty much as close to true hearts and arrows I can get without paying the premium for H&A and getting a gorgeous well proportioned diamond. As long as everything comes back clean on it I think it will be a great diamond. I'm thinking hard about just doing the solitaire. I also thought about investing in more diamond but I'm finding it jumps quite a bit in price so I'm not sure with out spending more than I want to if I'm going to get that much bigger of a diamond. But trust me, I'm looking!

_35977.jpg

_35978.jpg

_35979.jpg

_35980.jpg

Gnoble

Rough_Rock
Victorian10 wow what a difference!!! Yeah one of my concerns was hiding all that bling! Both of your rings are very pretty! I wish I could view pictures larger from my phone but from what I can see they are gorge! And don't worry, I have had 2 (well 4 if you count the 2 returns) on my finger too. Happens to the best of us, practice makes perfect, 2nd times a charm? Lol :angel:

victorian10

Rough_Rock
Those are all very similar. I do like the third pic the best. It's hard to find the right band with an intricate basket. I went with a matching band. The actual height of the band, not just the width makes a huge difference if you're trying to clear a basket.

victorian10

Rough_Rock
I do have a little space between my ering and wedding band due to the way the basket meets the band but my band also gets pretty wide underneath and tapers thin near the top and pinches in at the setting. set_2.jpg

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
If the stone is well cut, light is reflected back out of the top. So light performance (fire,etc.) is not going to be affected by a halo. I think you just haven't found the right halo. Most people here have them custom made, but Ritani makes some nice ones that are not custom, I'd have to look back at them to see how close a wedding band can fit. But a little tiny gap looks better than no gap to me, because I want the thin band of the e-ring to be apparent and not look like one wide band.

See the side view of this one? It is designed to allow the band to sit close.

https://www.ritani.com/engagement-rings/french-set-halo-diamond-band-engagement-ring-in-14kt-white-gold/6115

rosegoldjess

Rough_Rock
Gnoble|1452564625|3974530 said:
Ok so the first picture was my original engagement ring. No it wasn't the perfect diamond but it's what my husband wanted me to have and I knew nothing about diamonds and I instantly fell in love with it so it was perfect for me and I never questioned it. It was so simple. Picture 2 was my first replacement ring Which I made a bad decision and bought at jareds...I realized my mistake after researching diamonds and returned it. 3rd picture is my current ring that I will be shipping back to blue Nile tomorrow. Quality in diamonds goes up from pic 1-3 lol. Current diamond I have on hold pretty much as close to true hearts and arrows I can get without paying the premium for H&A and getting a gorgeous well proportioned diamond. As long as everything comes back clean on it I think it will be a great diamond. I'm thinking hard about just doing the solitaire. I also thought about investing in more diamond but I'm finding it jumps quite a bit in price so I'm not sure with out spending more than I want to if I'm going to get that much bigger of a diamond. But trust me, I'm looking!

Gnoble - I'm in love with the setting on the third ring - I guess it's from BN? Could you share the link or name?

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
There are some halos that are just stunning, perfect. Sometimes its the littlest details that make the biggest difference. Airline, no airline, how much metal, how high the center sits, how big the prongs are, the tilt of the halo. I am very picky, and never really liked halos until I saw Victor Canera's IRL, and SingleStone. However, those carry a large price tag, which is fine if that is what you really want.

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/post-your-victor-canera-beauties-here.175281/

I ended up with a solitaire with diamonds on the shank, also by Victor.

Steven Kirsch, Chris at ERD, Leon Mege, Caysie Van Beber, all do amazing halos. David Klass has some nice ones too. You can look up halos by all these vendors on PS.

So I guess my point is similar to Diamondseeker's. Maybe you haven't found the right one. How much do you want to pay? You did say you wanted the bling factor, so my gut says you will prefer the halo.

I don't love BN's settings. I've tried two of them myself. They aren't especially cheap, and for that price, I would expect more, more refined claws, more finished metal. They aren't done as nicely as Whiteflash's or Brian Gavin Diamond's. You should look at more halo posts on PS for more options on vendors. Don't feel stuck with BN just because you are buying the stone from them. Trust me. I've made that mistake.

BN solitaire, ugly prongs.
in_sun1.jpg

Closed off base that doesn't let any light in. My diamond looked like it had all these specks.
all_3_side_view.jpg

Once I reset it, huge difference. The diamond looked completely clean and bright.

Victor Canera Jocelyn with scalloped edges
_1498.jpg

msop04

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I agree with diamondseeker and some of the others... you just haven't found that perfect halo yet. If you like bling, then my vote would be for a halo. (but, I'm biased) :bigsmile:

february2003bride

Ideal_Rock
I have a Blue Nile halo and love it! The quality of my halo is wonderful. I have a very very small gap that doesn't bother me. I'm biased but I vote halo. :)

_1550.jpeg

_1551.jpeg

_1552.jpeg

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results