shape
carat
color
clarity

To flush fit or to not flush fit, that is the question!

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
Just want to get some opinions from people who have actually worn a wedding set before (since I haven't :wink2: ).

I am trying to decide if I want a flush fit wedding band or not. I'm not engaged and the e-ring isn't made yet, so it's my only chance to really put some thought into whether I want a flush band or if I like the gap. I've attached a few pics of the inspiration setting. I think I'd prefer a flush fitting band, so that I can stack better without gaps. If I only ever wear one band with it (which is a possibility), I'm not sure it really matters, gap or not. But I don't know if this is really what I'd like long term! :confused: Ohhhh, the things we obsess about as PSers. hah.

So, any thoughts on flush vs. non-flush bands? I know there's lots of comparison pics online and on PS but I'd like to get opinions on why people prefer either one! Feel free to share pics, too. Thanks!

_26.jpg
photo__285_0.jpg

GemFever

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Oh, I just nearly swooned looking at that handshot. So gorgeous.

Regarding the flush fit... it's something I haven't quite figured out for myself. If you know you want that setting for sure, does it allow for a flush fit?

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
I haven't asked. I actually haven't been in contact with Chris since we received the diamond. I've wanted to ask, just haven't gotten around to it.

I figured if I get some responses here, it might give me something to think about. I'm hoping to just decide one way or another. Maybe I'll realize that I really, really want flush fit - and if the setting can't be modded, I might modify the gallery somehow to accomodate a flush fit band. Or maybe I'll realize that it doesn't really matter, and I'll just tell SO to move forward with the setting as is with the little bump along the shank under the gallery thingy (hahaha such precise terminology).

diamondseeker2006

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer a little gap, but not a huge gap. You can always have the head of the ring a little higher (thicker doughnut) to allow a ring to sit closer, but I don't like totally flush especially with rings like this. I love the look of a thin band or two and I do not like them looking all glued together!

Dreamer_D

Super_Ideal_Rock
I like a gap creating some separation between the bands. A wider basket creates that look.

bunnycat

Ideal_Rock
With a little more antique look like you are probably going for with milgrain I'd say at least a little gap is nice, especially if you're going to have a plain shank. I've come to like both looks myself.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
I prefer flush fit but then I like matchy-matchy, seamless, and streamlined looks. I know that a little gap would annoy me.

lunemo

Shiny_Rock
I like the look of a small gap between rings. To me, a totally flush fit set of rings look like one giant ring.

kathley

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I like a small gap between my rings as well. To me, it doesn't look as heavy.

SB621

Ideal_Rock
I also perfer a little gap because I'm not a huge fan of the matchy matchy sets. however, what I would do is go to a jewelry store and try on some sets that sit flush and some that don't so you can decide if you like the look or not. I think looking at pictures helps but ultimately once you wear them and see for yourself you will know instantly what you can live with or not! ;)) Goodluck and I LOVE YOUR RING!

Harpertoo

Brilliant_Rock
diamondseeker2006|1362630621|3398686 said:
I prefer a little gap, but not a huge gap. You can always have the head of the ring a little higher (thicker doughnut) to allow a ring to sit closer, but I don't like totally flush especially with rings like this. I love the look of a thin band or two and I do not like them looking all glued together!

So agree!

Niel

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I dont wear a wedding band yet but mine will set flush, I didnt do that because i needed it, just the design of the ring. I prefer non matchy matchy, BUT as long as it isnt matching exactly, i dont mind a gap or not a gap, as long as the gap isnt huge. personally when i tried some on i couldnt even tell the little difference

Cozystitches

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I'm a more flush fit fan (FFF? :lol: ) however, I don't mind a gap, IF the gap is symmetrical, so like a tapered e-ring (one that tapers toward the stone) and a straight wband is great! So there's a small gap, but the ring doesn't wobble. :D

missy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer a bit of a gap so as to see that it is 2 distinct rings. I don't care for the one big band look that flush rings can have. A small gap lends to the delicate look of each ring on its own if that makes sense.

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer as close as possible, regardless of whether the bands match or are vastly different. If there's a gap, the bands will likely touch on the bottom of your hand, but angle out where they can't touch up top (if that makes sense). That bugs me personally, but I totally respect those who love a gap too. I love to stack - top and bottom and if there's a gap, this isn't going to work.

ame

Super_Ideal_Rock
I prefer flush fit. If there's a gap, teeny tiny.

StacylikesSparkles

Brilliant_Rock
Can you try anything on?

I personally have a wedding set that have a flush fit. I thought it might bother me, but in all actuality, it's no big deal.

pinky_4.jpg

D

Deactivated member 42515

I love a gap. Not huge, but enough that it looks like two different rings.

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
Firstly, thank you ALL for your input. I really appreciate the opinions!!!

Haha oh dear, I thought this thread would help me but in reality, it's given me even more to think about! :praise:

I think from the looks of pictures I've seen, with an e-ring and a mismatched band (like a plain shank e-ring and a diamond band), I like the little teency gap too. But I'm honestly torn about whether or not I want a plain shank wedding band.

Any thoughts on a plain shank band vs diamond band? I'm thinking plain shank, no gap, diamond shank, little gap. I always thought I wanted a plain wedding band but now that I'm doing all this research I'm thinking I might like a diamond band with milgrain! But maybe I should stick with my initial gut and go with a plain band. Either way I need to decide if I want the basket modified to accomodate a flush fit band.

Oh my gawd I'm nuts! Thank you for entertaining my crazy :knockout:

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
Get both a plain and a diamond with milgrain ;)) easy solution!

heididdl

Ideal_Rock
I can't help my engagment ring has .40" platinum band so and I wear an eternity marquis band on my left hand . My tiny wedding band that I married in is in the drawer never wore it again after I received my eternity band

img_2278_1_.jpg

img_2279_1_.jpg

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
To answer a few of you that have asked - I could try sets on but honestly, I can't ever get a good feel of things because my finger is a 4.25 and nearly everything in the store is size 6. Maybe I'll drag SO to the mall this weekend. Poor guy. :lol:

And panda - you're a bad influence! But I do like your thinking. :Up_to_something:

I'm thinking that I'll just do a plain band initially, because the shank thickness (and by thickness I mean the thickness of the gold and how far it sits off the finger - is there an actual name for that?! ahha) I'm going for is pretty thin (see below, hippi's beautiful ring!!) and I know diamond bands need more thickness to support diamonds. The mismatched-ness of the thickness of the shank would bother me I think.

_4326.jpg

Enerchi

Super_Ideal_Rock
Adding my vote to the not flush fit/gap group. I like the demarcation between the 2 rings. How about a skinny micropave band? That would be beautiful!

lin_ny

Brilliant_Rock
Enerchi|1362765840|3399982 said:
Adding my vote to the not flush fit/gap group. I like the demarcation between the 2 rings. How about a skinny micropave band? That would be beautiful!
I do like this idea!! Who wouldn't want more sparkle?! Can you post a pic of a skinny micropave band for me?

m-2-b

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer flush fit. I wear mine w/ 2 micropave bands from VC. I'm hoping to eventually add more!

diamondringlover

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I prefer flush fit..if there is a gap I want it as small as possible.

Laila619

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I'm a gap lover. When I first got engaged, I was adamant about having a ring that would sit flush with a wedding band. But now I think a small gap looks nicer, as you can see that it's two different rings being worn together. I like settings that have donuts.

SMC

Ideal_Rock
Another reason I like flush fit is that I have really short fingers. I don't want to use up more real estate than I have to. Also, my fingers are on, er, fleshier side in the sense that I have very small knuckles so all rings automatically give my sausage fingers in order to keep them on. Otherwise, they'd slide right off my knuckle when I wash my hands. I would like to minimize the sausage sections as much as possible.

I'm so envious of those people with long, bony fingers!

Bella432

Rough_Rock
I'm a member of the gap-lovers group, for myself personally. I'm more of a free-flowy hippie earthy type, non structered.. if that makes sense. :lol: I also like my rings to say "Yes, I am for damn sure married, not just engaged!" rather than "I may just be one thick engagement ring" :twirl:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results