color
clarity

To Cert or not to Cert . . . so many projects so many questions

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Hi All,

*Warning: this is a LONNNNG POST*

As some of you may be aware, I became engaged early year after being with my Fiance for 11 years. We subsequently began the process of buying a house (literally the day after our engagement).

My engagement ring is a XXX (according to the jeweler) 1.8ct, J, VS1, (egl) plain solitaire in a 6 prong setting. Based on my untrained eye, it is very flat across the top, and very long below the girdle. The setting was always meant to be temporary, it is the plainest/cheapest w/g setting offered by the jeweler. My fiance knew my preference was a round in a solitaire setting, outside of that he really didn't ask any questions.

It was never a mind clean diamond, initially it was the the price - my thoughts were....how could you spend this money right as we were house hunting together. Further, I always questioned the true color and the clarity (read: it was a EGL certed stone). Even before my engagement, I've been lurking on PS for quite a while and I had an idea of what I wanted in terms of size, color and clarity (~1.0, f/g/h, vs2) for my size 4.5 finger. Looking back now knowing his max budget I know that my wants were very much in line with his budget, he just never asked me which is really caused my anxiety.

Since our engagement, we've been so busy with the house and life I really haven't looking into alternative options re: trade in/exchange/new setting etc. I've even become accustomed to the size (read: DSS set in real QUICK :lol::lol::lol:), mostly because I work in a Law firm and the average stone size is 2-2.5ct, with client rings at the5 ct mark. I've even come to love my ring for everything it stands for, the first step to the next chapter of our life together, our commitment (we went and started buying a house the next day) and our love.

During my recent foray into diamond buying for my mum, I was offered the opportunity to send my diamond for grading with GIA. I am extra super excited to have this offer since I feel that if I know exactly what I have, it would ease my mind regarding the price, and specs of the diamond. However, I am worried about the "once you see it, you can't un-see it" aspect of taking this step. I "think" that no matter what the GIA comes back as, I intend to keep the diamond, if not as my e-ring, then as a pendant or as a RHR, but am worried that a truly terrible GIA report will cause me to put the diamond to the wayside.

Now that the holidays are over and I've had time to breathe, I'm contemplating next steps. My question to all my lovely PSer's is: What would you do? Remain a bit oblivious to the true nature of the diamond or send it to be certified? An alternative option I have available to me is to take my money and start another project....ie get something that I can start upgrading over the years to what I want my ultimate e-ring to be. :twisted2::twisted2:

On the one hand, I love my ring for what it is - the first step to the next chapter of our lives, on the other hand - it feels like when you get oil on your sun/glasses and you look through them....something isn't right but you can't place your finger on it...

All help and comments appreciated! Thanks for sticking with me through this very long storytime.

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
... what [the iffy stone] it is - the first step to the next chapter of our lives ...

... including next chapters of diamond ownership, of courses.

Do you still have the EGL report at hand ? It must contain a few numbers describing the cut, which do have some use WWW

Last edited:

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow, that's a tough one. The practical side of me can see wanting to know, but the sentimental sap in me agrees that you can't unring that bell. I think that unless your plans to make a change are imminent, I would wait and do the grading then. I would hate for the report to come back negative and it will forever change the way that you feel about this symbol of love from your soon to be husband. If you are beyond the period to make any changes (stone exchange/refund) then there is no real benefit to potentially finding out that you overpaid. Since you plan to just repurpose the stone at some point in the future, I say just enjoy it while it is your ER and take comfort in knowing that the next stone you will buy together and will be more inline with what you really want.

Congratulations on your engagement and new home!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I just went through your exact scenario! I have a couple of threads on it. And my advice? I kind of didn't have a choice about getting my certificate-- long story. Lol. But since it literally landed on my lap, I've been so confused. But, it did open up options, despite the confusion. And it has been fun to explore the options of trading up, recutting, and finally after appreciating all my options, coming full circle to appreciate what I have. I'm going to sit back and take my time to decide what I want to do. I was pleasantly surprised with the color, so you may get some good news.
I do have a few other diamonds over the one carat mark that are uncertified and I never intend to certify them. Lol. Bc I don't want to sell them. Bottom line, if you suspect that you will appreciate having options-- even to explore them--getting a certificate might be fun. You are already expecting the worst, so it can only get better, right

LLJsmom

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think it completely depends on who you are. Are you a full disclosure come what may person or a easy going and can live with things as they are person? I am the type that always MUST know so that would be easy for me to answer. How about you? Sentimentality does not play into it at all for me.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
... including next chapters of diamond ownership, of courses.

Do you still have the EGL report at hand ? It must contain a few numbers describing the cut, which do have some use WWW

Unfortunately, we do not have the original EGL report, though I think that if I spoke with the Jeweler I would be able to find a copy of it.

Wow, that's a tough one. The practical side of me can see wanting to know, but the sentimental sap in me agrees that you can't unring that bell. I think that unless your plans to make a change are imminent, I would wait and do the grading then. I would hate for the report to come back negative and it will forever change the way that you feel about this symbol of love from your soon to be husband. If you are beyond the period to make any changes (stone exchange/refund) then there is no real benefit to potentially finding out that you overpaid. Since you plan to just repurpose the stone at some point in the future, I say just enjoy it while it is your ER and take comfort in knowing that the next stone you will buy together and will be more inline with what you really want.

Congratulations on your engagement and new home!

To be truthful, I am a sap. If something holds a lot of meaning to me, I do tend to hold on to it forever. I don't THINK that I would look at it differently if it came back as a M, i1 instead of a J vs2...but I do think that I would always feel bad that my fiance got hoodwinked.

I do think that at some point I will be upgrading my wedding set as I'm eyeing some 3 carats thinking that they are juussst right. :roll2: But as the sap that I am, when that time comes this diamond will be made into a pendant :lol-2:

I just went through your exact scenario! I have a couple of threads on it. And my advice? I kind of didn't have a choice about getting my certificate-- long story. Lol. But since it literally landed on my lap, I've been so confused. But, it did open up options, despite the confusion. And it has been fun to explore the options of trading up, recutting, and finally after appreciating all my options, coming full circle to appreciate what I have. I'm going to sit back and take my time to decide what I want to do. I was pleasantly surprised with the color, so you may get some good news.
I do have a few other diamonds over the one carat mark that are uncertified and I never intend to certify them. Lol. Bc I don't want to sell them. Bottom line, if you suspect that you will appreciate having options-- even to explore them--getting a certificate might be fun. You are already expecting the worst, so it can only get better, right

I have read through some of your other posts and they do provide a different perspective. I will need to think on it as the change/upgrade will not be immediate.

I think it completely depends on who you are. Are you a full disclosure come what may person or a easy going and can live with things as they are person? I am the type that always MUST know so that would be easy for me to answer. How about you? Sentimentality does not play into it at all for me.

Is it weird to say that I'm both? The thing that bothers me the most is that I don't know...but at the same time, there's the part of me that doesn't care.

It's the war between logic and sentiment: The sentimental side of me is saying whatever....but the logical side of me is saying that I must find out.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Why do this?

You already own it. It is what it is and new paperwork won’t change it. It’s not for sale so you’ve got no buyer demanding paperwork and it doesn’t change your behavior a bit. You can send in a stone at any time you want. Why now?

Octo2005

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
To be truthful, I am a sap. If something holds a lot of meaning to me, I do tend to hold on to it forever. I don't THINK that I would look at it differently if it came back as a M, i1 instead of a J vs2...but I do think that I would always feel bad that my fiance got hoodwinked.

I do think that at some point I will be upgrading my wedding set as I'm eyeing some 3 carats thinking that they are juussst right. :roll2: But as the sap that I am, when that time comes this diamond will be made into a pendant :lol-2:

I completely understand! I actually kept my original ER intact and still wear it sometimes.

Alexiszoe

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
If you know a "bad" report from GIA will cause you to feel bittersweet about this diamond / to put it on the wayside, then it might tarnish the symbolic meaning of this engagement ring. Given that you will keep it for sentimental reasons as well, I don't think it's a great idea to send it to GIA.

And a little off topic - while it's true EGL is soft on grading etc, the most stunning diamond (pear) I saw in real life was an EGL diamond. So while it might be x color or y clarity, it could possibly be quite a pretty stone with a lovely cut.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I would get it certified by GIA for a few reasons:
1. You said that a new and even different grading report will not make a difference to you
2. A diamond with GIA certificate is more valuable than a diamond with no certificate/EGL
3. For insurance purposes, you really want an accurate grading report and there is no need to pay higher premiums if the value of the stone does not match the initial J/VS1 grading.

What I would personally do is however different, I would send the stone to BGD for a recut analysis and get an AGS report is a recut is possible after said recut. It seems that your stone probably has a large table and a shallow crown angle which makes it look "top flat'..I actually just sent them a diamond with similar appearance and I am awaiting on the recut results!

At the end of the day however th most important thing is your love and life together, so really do whatever will make you both happy. Congratulations on your engagement and new house!

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Why do this?

You already own it. It is what it is and new paperwork won’t change it. It’s not for sale so you’ve got no buyer demanding paperwork and it doesn’t change your behavior a bit. You can send in a stone at any time you want. Why now?

There's two reasons i'm thinking about the cert 1) I was provided with the option and figured why not explore it. 2) I'm thinking of switching insurance carriers and wonder if i should stick with the appraisal that I used last year or if I should get the new report and have a new appraisal done.

And I'm probably not going to be taking a whole lot of action IMMEDIATELY, it's really just exploring my options and finding out what others would do in my shoe.

I completely understand! I actually kept my original ER intact and still wear it sometimes.

I want to say it sucks that my brain can't get past the "but he proposed with that engagement ring!" to objectively look into trading it in/selling it to finance a bigger rock....but....if we're not sentimental about the little things what CAN we be sentimental about?

If you know a "bad" report from GIA will cause you to feel bittersweet about this diamond / to put it on the wayside, then it might tarnish the symbolic meaning of this engagement ring. Given that you will keep it for sentimental reasons as well, I don't think it's a great idea to send it to GIA.

And a little off topic - while it's true EGL is soft on grading etc, the most stunning diamond (pear) I saw in real life was an EGL diamond. So while it might be x color or y clarity, it could possibly be quite a pretty stone with a lovely cut.

Don't get me wrong...the stone IS pretty, just not as fiery as I think it could be. But you hit the nail on the head, I don't want bad feelings associated with my ring. And definitely not something that I invite into my life voluntarily.

I would get it certified by GIA for a few reasons:
1. You said that a new and even different grading report will not make a difference to you
2. A diamond with GIA certificate is more valuable than a diamond with no certificate/EGL
3. For insurance purposes, you really want an accurate grading report and there is no need to pay higher premiums if the value of the stone does not match the initial J/VS1 grading.

What I would personally do is however different, I would send the stone to BGD for a recut analysis and get an AGS report is a recut is possible after said recut. It seems that your stone probably has a large table and a shallow crown angle which makes it look "top flat'..I actually just sent them a diamond with similar appearance and I am awaiting on the recut results!

At the end of the day however th most important thing is your love and life together, so really do whatever will make you both happy. Congratulations on your engagement and new house!

I didn't even think of getting it recut....Maybe that's another option I could look into....Again no actions for now just a lot of talking and rationalizing what would be the best step for me. I'm still entrenched in house stuff, but I thought it would be good to start exploring the options.

SimoneDi

Ideal_Rock
Premium
@metall if you are given the option to re-certify not on your dime, I would definitely do it even just for insurance purposes.

denverappraiser

Ideal_Rock
Trade
@metall if you are given the option to re-certify not on your dime, I would definitely do it even just for insurance purposes.

"On your dime" is the key part here. GIA is going to want $121. Fedex/insurance to the lab will be about $70/direction. Pull and reset on a 1.80 maybe $100-150. It depends on the setter. Usually, there’s some sort of handling fee for doing all of this. All of that said, there’s not a particularly unique opportunity here beyond that GIA is slow right now so they’re working pretty fast. Sometimes it takes many weeks. GIA paperwork is not sufficient for your insurance. You still will need an appraisal for that.

If the offer is that the jeweler will pay, I agree, jump on it.

Gussie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I had my original diamond made into a pendant. I never thought about getting a gia report because I know it is not the greatest diamond. It does an a lot to me though! I would never sell it and I adore it!

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
"On your dime" is the key part here. GIA is going to want $121. Fedex/insurance to the lab will be about $70/direction. Pull and reset on a 1.80 maybe $100-150. It depends on the setter. Usually, there’s some sort of handling fee for doing all of this. All of that said, there’s not a particularly unique opportunity here beyond that GIA is slow right now so they’re working pretty fast. Sometimes it takes many weeks. GIA paperwork is not sufficient for your insurance. You still will need an appraisal for that.

If the offer is that the jeweler will pay, I agree, jump on it.

Good information to know. I think that I will think on it and make a potentially actionable decision over the next few days/week. (unless the decision is to leave well enough alone...though I guess that is still "actionable")

I had my original diamond made into a pendant. I never thought about getting a gia report because I know it is not the greatest diamond. It does an a lot to me though! I would never sell it and I adore it!

Yep, same. I think that the sentiment will always mean more to me than the value. But at the same time...I do also think that it's a good idea to get proper protection against loss/damage, which is what sparked this whole thing in my head to begin with...

P

PierreBear

My vote is to save your money and time spent on thinking about your current ring in terms of specs/grading. It was purchased for other reasons, to celebrate your engagement and commitment to each other. As other people mentioned, a good grading report might help you justify "this was a good purchase." However, a bad grading report will only cause more turmoil. Just make sure the next beauty you get hits all the diamond requirements you want and enjoy the current one for what it is. Focus on what you can control and the rest was just sunk costs that can't be changed.

For what it is worth, I'm in the same situation you are in that our e-ring was purchased prior to PS days. I've considered putting it into a pendant, bracelet, and recutting it to then potentially upgrade it. I have days where I'm completely content and wouldn't change it due to the symbolism and there are other days where I'm scratching my head again. I hope this helps but ultimately it's what is best for you and your husband! Good luck!!!!

nala

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Can you please post a picture of your ring! Would love to see it!

Rockdiamond

Ideal_Rock
Trade
My take: I say, if you can do this with an entirely open mind, do it.
Many years ago when we started selling online, people ( other dealers) thought no one would ever buy a diamond graded Y-Z....or I1.
In my mind, knowing exactly what we were offering was more important than trying to "fool" people with EGL's.
Lo and behold, the market did respond ( and many others copied us) and now Y-Z is a valid choice for a lot of buyers. As are hand picked I1's
Be prepared for the EGL grade to be way off- but it really does not make the diamond any less beautiful

lalala

Brilliant_Rock
I say upgrade and move on! You're questioning it now, it will only develop as time passes and you'll end up unsatisfied (speaking from experience). Do it together and make it fun. You'll both end up happier.

PintoBean

Ideal_Rock
Premium
This is what I was thinking too - reset as a pendant! That way it's closest to your heart:love:.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Can you please post a picture of your ring! Would love to see it!

I will as soon as I get my camera out of storage!

My take: I say, if you can do this with an entirely open mind, do it.
Many years ago when we started selling online, people ( other dealers) thought no one would ever buy a diamond graded Y-Z....or I1.
In my mind, knowing exactly what we were offering was more important than trying to "fool" people with EGL's.
Lo and behold, the market did respond ( and many others copied us) and now Y-Z is a valid choice for a lot of buyers. As are hand picked I1's
Be prepared for the EGL grade to be way off- but it really does not make the diamond any less beautiful

THIS is exactly what I'm wondering....am I open minded enough to take this step. If I do decide to get the certificate, I will need to prepare myself for potentially finding out that this stone is not what I've been led to believe.

I say upgrade and move on! You're questioning it now, it will only develop as time passes and you'll end up unsatisfied (speaking from experience). Do it together and make it fun. You'll both end up happier.

I wish it were that easy, my sappy little heart has already gotten it's sugary little sentiments wrapped up in the ring and it will most likely be sent to pendant-hood when the time is right. (i.e. I hit the lotto to get the 3 ct rock of my dreams) Until then I was exploring the certificate as a throw around idea.

This is what I was thinking too - reset as a pendant! That way it's closest to your heart:love:.

:kiss2: same. . . but until I hit that lotto, it will have to be happy on my finger.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My vote is to save your money and time spent on thinking about your current ring in terms of specs/grading. It was purchased for other reasons, to celebrate your engagement and commitment to each other. As other people mentioned, a good grading report might help you justify "this was a good purchase." However, a bad grading report will only cause more turmoil. Just make sure the next beauty you get hits all the diamond requirements you want and enjoy the current one for what it is. Focus on what you can control and the rest was just sunk costs that can't be changed.

For what it is worth, I'm in the same situation you are in that our e-ring was purchased prior to PS days. I've considered putting it into a pendant, bracelet, and recutting it to then potentially upgrade it. I have days where I'm completely content and wouldn't change it due to the symbolism and there are other days where I'm scratching my head again. I hope this helps but ultimately it's what is best for you and your husband! Good luck!!!!

Haha, yes it does seem like we have the same dilemma...I will keep your words in mind while I decide what I should do.

Thanks!

naivemelody

Rough_Rock
My e-ring is uncerted, and although I'd totally be curious what GIA would say about it, I can't justify the expense for mere curiosity. Mine is also kinda flat on top with more brilliance than fire, so knowing the angles would be amusing - but I actually like the look (if I were that obsessed with fire then I'd just want a moissanite haha). Even if mine is really an I1 with the most ratchet cut ever, that wouldn't make it less "mind clean" to me, because 1) I like what I see, 2) I never intend to sell it, and 3) late MIL bought it so I don't know/care the price or whether it was a good deal.

It's a bit of a paradox I guess - getting the cert is only "safe" if you DGAF about the results, but then why spend the money? I totally get the mixed feelings about price, but for me spending more money to find out whether it was a good deal would just make me feel sillier, even if the answer is yes. So I guess I'd say to only get the cert if it's going to be useful in future decisions, not to keep questioning the past purchase. Now that you know how to avoid this in future purchases, hopefully you can make peace with the past and just use your stone for whatever feels right going forward.

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
My e-ring is uncerted, and although I'd totally be curious what GIA would say about it, I can't justify the expense for mere curiosity. Mine is also kinda flat on top with more brilliance than fire, so knowing the angles would be amusing - but I actually like the look (if I were that obsessed with fire then I'd just want a moissanite haha). Even if mine is really an I1 with the most ratchet cut ever, that wouldn't make it less "mind clean" to me, because 1) I like what I see, 2) I never intend to sell it, and 3) late MIL bought it so I don't know/care the price or whether it was a good deal.

It's a bit of a paradox I guess - getting the cert is only "safe" if you DGAF about the results, but then why spend the money? I totally get the mixed feelings about price, but for me spending more money to find out whether it was a good deal would just make me feel sillier, even if the answer is yes. So I guess I'd say to only get the cert if it's going to be useful in future decisions, not to keep questioning the past purchase. Now that you know how to avoid this in future purchases, hopefully you can make peace with the past and just use your stone for whatever feels right going forward.

Thank you so much for your insight. I will keep it in mind as I contemplate next moves. I think what stands out about the offer is that there will be minimal costs, since I will only be paying for the Certification, the other associated costs are being absorbed. I just don't know if I've hit that IDGAF wtf this is attitude yet, which causes my major dilemma. Maybe if the offer is still there when I hit that IDGAF attitude, THEN I will have it certed...

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
After reading everyone's amazing advice and input, I'd like to thank everyone for chiming in. It's wonderful that so many people are sharing their stories about their experiences with an uncerted stone and giving such great feedback. Also for reinforcing my initial thoughts that no matter what the outcome, it will ALWAYS be the ring that my wonderful man proposed to me with, and there will only ever be one of it in the world.

And a huge shout out to the professionals who have responded. It's so amazing that so many professionals in the business have taken the time out of their day to chime in with their insight. Especially when their valuable time and info could be dispensed with elsewhere. Honestly I could walk around the diamond district for weeks without getting the same level of information that I get on PS over a two day period.

I will 100% take everyone's words to heart while I contemplate my next move. Thank you!

metall

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
I saw that someone had asked me in a separate thread about whether or not I went back to have my diamond certed, but for the life of me can't remember who asked or which thread. I'm going to reply here and hope that the concerned party catches it!

I have decided to have the diamond certified when I come back from my trip to China. Recently, I've had a lot on my plate, and I'm still reeling from a lot of weird (not bad...but not pleasant, odd or weird is really the best word for it) things/situations that have been cropping up in my personal life. I don't think that I am mentally prepared enough to find out bad news right now. I would rather focus on all the good and positive things that have happened over the last year. I am still desperately curious to what I have, but for now I need to wait for when I am back at a good space.

Thank you to whoever it was that checked up on me!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results