shape
carat
color
clarity

To bezel or not to bezel. That is the question

melave

Shiny_Rock
Hi all

I bought this little stone from Dana. I really love this stone and am impress with the different colours it shows, especially in the aussie sun. sorry for the bad pictures. i haven't gotten the hang of the stone photography yet.

Now i am a bezel nut, but i have a feeling that if it is surrounded it won't show the colour change as good.
But i love love love athena's ring from Daniel M. I hope you don't mind me posting the link Athena :)
http://www.etsy.com/transaction/53369510

soooo after all that, do you guys think that putting it in a bezel setting will "ruin" the stone?

If you have any ideas for settings, throw them at me!!!

Oh and just another question.... white or rose gold? i am leaning towards rose gold at the moment.

cc sapphire 1.jpg

ccsapphire 2.jpg

SB621

Ideal_Rock
While I love that setting I really worry about bezeling a stone that dark, I think it would take a way a lot of the flashes of color and darken it. :confused: I will let others weigh in though.

As far as setting I love amythest in rose gold. How about a rose gold setting?Perhaps something like this?

Lana3.jpg

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Wellll since you put it that way, then yes, you should totally bezel. :D

But I worry that it may be a bit dark to bezel honestly, and may lose some of its colorful luster.

stargurl78

Ideal_Rock
I think it is too dark to bezel so I'd probably avoid it. And I vote for rose gold!

brandy_z28

Brilliant_Rock
A well cut stone with good light return will have little to no effect on color when bezeled. I have a medium dark spinel from Barry B that is also a color shifter bezeled with an open pavilion and I LOVE it. If you're worried about it darkening try the foil trick or opt for a semi-bezel and open pavilion. Very pretty stone BTW!

Arkteia

Ideal_Rock
Premium
From my experience, semi-bezel with an open pavilion looks well especially if the ring is raised. With bezeling one may run a risk of losing this beautiful color-shift effect.

melave

Shiny_Rock
thanks for all the replies

i think you guys are right, a bezel will make it too dark. I tried the alfoil thing and the stone was really dark. So claws it is!! i will satisfy my bezel addiction with the amethyst i got from osiris

and rose gold it is as well!!! i enquired on a rough price from Daniel M and i am happy with what he quoted.

Ok so now for a setting

I am liking this setting
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330598870095&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1438.l2649
but without all the diamonds in the band, just the 2 closest to the centre stone

And i am liking the stone setting that sarahbear posted or this one
http://www.etsy.com/transaction/46545617
what do guys think? will it look weird? or do you know of another plain split shank setting that would suit this stone?

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results