shape
carat
color
clarity

Titanium Spinel Grey Blue

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

leggs

Shiny_Rock
I got a deal, where else!!! Now I am looking for a larger stone of similar colour.Question is this, how common is this colour and would finding an 8x10mm be even more uncommon. This colour looks amazing with shiny 14k gold because it is so silvery I guess. I really wasn't wanting this colour it just happened and the colour is exactly what I have been looking for.Is this possible in sapphire.drools........
Anybody else favour this colour?BTW the gem I bought really doesn't have such a purple tint either.
Below I will try to post the gem I bought.

grey1.JPG

valeria101

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 3/30/2006 6:16:01 PM
Author:leggs

Anybody else favour this colour?
Me. Because I like the looks of brushed Titanium and any faceted stone that matches the color of the magic metal will do. I know what they are worse & all, but this really doesn't matter. Besides, aside the occasional gray diamond, what else comes in these metallic gray colors? Gray sapphire is quite unusual and rather muddy compared to spinel.... what else? Anyway, if anything, I would fall quite easily for a fancy cut (preferably scissor or step) large, dark cold gray spinel.

The picture looks fairly doctored... I wonder what would this look like in person.

How rare... well, I think gray spinel is quite common. Many inexpensive spinels are discounted because the colors are too dark or with too low saturation or both. There are quite a few nearly white stones although colorless is unusual, as much as I know. What is rare is to have this material faceted at all. And large stones (say, above 5cts) are relatively rare anyway.

These being said, I know only that much. And a recent thread about a star spinel has just reminded me how little that is!

leggs

Shiny_Rock
Basically the doctoring was putting in the purple, however I wasn't looking for purple and they probably wanted that grey stone to have more colour.oh well!!!The stone is much greyer and livelier than the picture.I just love it with gold. I've also just learned how much I like black sapphire too just for fun with little money.

movie zombie

Super_Ideal_Rock
an inexpensive and perhaps alternative to the black sapphire is black spinel [eta, from australia]. i got a very inexpensive cushion cut oval recently that i really really like.....

movie zombie

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
I was just looking on www.riogems.com today and they have quite a few spinels of this color. Don''t know about size and what not since it wasn''t what I was looking for. Hope that helps some!

riogems

Shiny_Rock
I don't think we have any spinels on our site. I do have a bag of them I've been meaning to photograph for some time -- they are from Sri Lanka.

I'm not sure we have any gems of this color... maybe some of our off-color sapphires? I'll take a look...

I just took a look - I guess we have some gray with sky blue sapphires. It's hard to tell from the photos, and I'm at home now.
2.gif

I guess our sapphire photos were taken before I learned how to increase the exposure -- so everything seems to have a gray/dark tint to me. And there are no photoshop corrections done on those.

ilovesparkles

Ideal_Rock
Sorry riogems I must have been confused, I have been doing a lot of searching lately.
28.gif
And sorry leggs if I misdirected you as well!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results