shape
carat
color
clarity

Tired of setting... Opinions

RN2003AZ

Rough_Rock
We've been married almost 11 hrs and I'm already on my second setting. I'm finding myself bored with what I have. DH is not helpful in my dilema and is only concern is $. The center stone is not great quality but was purchased in Canada in 2003 and was what was affordable. It's a 1.09, G, I1 (?). I'd really love a 2ct rectangle radiant in some sort of micro pave setting and unsure on whether to change metals. Thoughts and opinions welcome!

_30164.jpg

VRBeauty

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
A couple of suggestions:

1) Ask the admin to move this thread to the "rocky talky" forum
2) figure out what your budget is for this project
3) tell us, if you can, what you do and don't like about your current setting
4) this is all about you and your preferences, so look through "Show me the bling" threads that will help you hone in on what you'd like to explore further. You might want to start here:

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-princess-cut-collection.159387/

and here (this will include some rectangular stones)
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/emerald-cuts-asschers-a-collection.113993/

And if all else fails...

https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/the-forum-engagement-ring-folder-eye-candy.5429/

We can better help you find your "forever" ring if you can offer some specifics and some ideas to explore or offer for feedback.

Good luck!

motownmama

Ideal_Rock
Premium
You've been married 11 hrs or 11 yrs?! I thought you were setting quite a record there! What you're describing is diametrically opposite of what you have - I guess that will address the boredom! I like your current set, but I also like what you're describing.

What's your budget?

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
RN2003AZ -

Firstly - just to clarify...you mean 11 yrs, not 11hrs...surely...? (ETA I think Motownmama beat me to the question on this one!!)

It seems from what you're saying that - perhaps first and foremost - you don't like your center stone. If this is the case, no amount of changing up the setting will help you. You'd probably end up bouncing from setting to setting, trying to scratch an itch that a change of setting won't help.

Is it possible for you to change the stone? Sell and start again? Is there a major birthday or anniversary on the horizon that might warrant this? And even if there is - would your husband be likely to come to the party?

Failing this, it's possible to reset into settings that mimic a rectangular cut stone, but it will never change your center stone.

If it's impossible to change your center stone, have you thought about trying a colored stone in a new ring entirely, and leaving your e-ring as is? Would a re-cut of your existing stone help? It may well give you a lot more sparkle, and then a reset from there might help.

Interested to hear your thoughts on these ideas.

azstonie

Ideal_Rock
Premium
11 hours but it seems like 11 YEARS? That was my first husband!!! :lol:

caf

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
You could consider rhodium plating the setting you have...making it white gold. It would change it up. It wears off eventually or the jeweler can remove it if you do not like it. Or take the diamond out of the setting, put a colored stone in and take the diamond and make a diamond pendant with it. So many things you could do...take the diamonds out of the band, get some colored stones same size and make a band. Lots of jewelers will do that for you. Also you could hunt for stones yourself or let your bench source them for you. Have fun.

lovemybling

Brilliant_Rock
It sounds like we could be setting sisters. I had the same problem. I had a round for over ten years and it just really wasn't me I did try resetting it once but that just didn't scratch the right itch. I finally, after a few months of discussions and negotiations with hubby, asked that for our 15th I wanted to upgrade. I figured after that long, and having 5 kids as well, I should be able to get my heart's desire. For us, we decided to keep the original ring and put it away to hopefully pass it down to one of my daughters. Then we just decided to not be in a rush to find the right stone for the right price. I actually ended up getting about 18 months before our 15th ( :naughty: ) but now I love what I have it is much more me than my original. And I am lucky because Hubby just wants me to be happy.

I am not sure if that helps but at least you know you are not alone in your wants

:bigsmile:

RN2003AZ

Rough_Rock
Thanks everyone! And yes it's 11yrs, not hours!

I think the main problem is definitely the center stone. I never wanted round but settled. After looking around here for months and then looking down at my hand, the whole set just "annoys" me because it's not what I really like.

Going to have to talk some sense into the hubby! :devil:

CRYSTAL24K

Brilliant_Rock
Good luck with finding your perfect stone and setting! I can't wait to see what you select :)

I would also suggest going to some jewelry stores and trying on some rings to get an idea of what you like, if you haven't done so yet.

SparklySoprano

Brilliant_Rock
Rounds can oftentimes look very different in a non-round halo setting. I'm not sure if you've considered that, but it could be a better budget item right now instead of upgrading your stone in addition to a new setting. I have seen some really pretty cushion halos that make the round look quite different. Just a thought.... :think:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results