shape
carat
color
clarity

Tips on getting loose wedding day curls with hair that refuses to stay curled?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Hi, all! First of all, huge apologies that lately I''ve only been commenting on my own threads. Things are pretty crazy busy, with all the last-minute wedding plans and taking my parents around England. But still, it feels quite rude of me so I wanted to apologize.

Ok, so, really the only detail that''s left (other than ticking off our vows and making a CD of ceremony music) is figuring out how to get my hair to stay curly when it never holds curls at all. They don''t need to be mad-tight Shirley Temple curls, but loose curls or even just waves would be fab, except my hair normally can''t hold any curl for longer than about 10 minutes.

My hair is very thin and very fine. I will be filling it out a bit with some hair extensions (real ones that can be dyed and curled and stuff), but it needs help. Any tips on how to get it to keep the curl for a few hours?

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
I am tempted to go ahead and get one of these but I already have spent £30 on my real hair extensions but they''re a bit of a disappointment because they don''t have much hair to them so they won''t add that much. And think it might look kinda fake because there''s no way my hair would ever look as full and fabulous as it would with the Jessica Simpson extensions, even if my hair could hold curl? I want to still look like me, just me at my most fabulous.
9.gif

Anyway, here is the one-piece (like the sound of that!) clip-in extension that basically is exactly what I would like my hair to look like (in chocolate copper). What do you think? Should I just buy a curling iron, lots of hairspray and hope for the best, or spend too much money for hair extensions I will possibly only wear twice (to the UK wedding and the US wedding). Am trying to be economical but these extensions are wooing me!

Whaddya think?
33.gif

http://www.hothair.co.uk/jessica-simpson-23-clip-in-wavy-hair-extensions.html

monkeyprincess

Ideal_Rock
If I were you, I would make an appointment to have my hair done. A professional should have no problem getting your hair to hold curls and can advise you on the extensions.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Ditto MP.

purselover

Ideal_Rock
I agree go to a professional but honestly you may need a fall back plan with your hair. I originally wanted my hair like yours with loose curls but my stylist told me it would never hold no matter what she did and I needed to come up with another way to wear it

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Yeah...the problem with that is that we''re getting married about 200 miles away from where we live, and although my future mother-in-law has offered to make me an appointment with her hair stylist, there won''t be any time to do a practice run. So, if she can make the curls stay, they''ll stay for the wedding, but if not, I''ll either need to just wear it straight (it''ll be half up, whether it''s curly or not) or have the curly hair extensions.

This isn''t really a huge deal; it''s just that if anyone has any tricks on getting stubbornly straight hair to curl, they''d be nice.
1.gif

purselover

Ideal_Rock
In that case I suggest a ton of hair spray and setting them in hot rollers first before going over them with a curling iron.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Excellent!! Instead of picking up a curling iron, I'll see about getting a flat iron. And you know, my hair might not be doomed after all--my mom always told me it was my hair that was at fault but it could've been the fact that my mom's curling iron was old and not terribly hot.
3.gif

Maybe this hair story will have a happy ending!
36.gif

emeraldlover1

Ideal_Rock
I have the same problem. I tried to wear my hair like that for my rehersal dinner and I pre-set it in pin curls for a few hours and it was out within the first two hours. A little bit longer than normal but not really long enough. That is 100% of the reason why I wore it up the day of the wedding. Im not sure if the extensions would work but I guess it is worth a try!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gwen I find hot rollers work the best for long-lasting curls in my uber fine hair. I put volumizer in wet hair, blow it dry, spray lock of hair, wrap around hot roller and secure, repeat until your head is done. Here's the key. Leave them in until they're stone cold. If you could manage it, I'd set your hair and leave them in until you got to where you're getting ready (mine are usually in for about 30-45 minutes on average. Take the rollers out one at a time and shape the curl with your fingers. Do not use a brush on your hair at this stage. Finger curl/comb only. You can use a comb to put your hair into the up do, but don't do a full out brush. Finish with some finishing serum for shine, smoothing and to knock down fly aways.

Bring a curling iron to use as back up in case any of the curls fall. Mine usually last overnight when I do this. It's pretty curly right after but as the curls relax they turn into really lovely romantic curls/waves.

beltane

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/7/2010 3:23:07 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
Gwen I find hot rollers work the best for long-lasting curls in my uber fine hair. I put volumizer in wet hair, blow it dry, spray lock of hair, wrap around hot roller and secure, repeat until your head is done. Here''s the key. Leave them in until they''re stone cold. If you could manage it, I''d set your hair and leave them in until you got to where you''re getting ready (mine are usually in for about 30-45 minutes on average. Take the rollers out one at a time and shape the curl with your fingers. Do not use a brush on your hair at this stage. Finger curl/comb only. You can use a comb to put your hair into the up do, but don''t do a full out brush. Finish with some finishing serum for shine, smoothing and to knock down fly aways.

Bring a curling iron to use as back up in case any of the curls fall. Mine usually last overnight when I do this. It''s pretty curly right after but as the curls relax they turn into really lovely romantic curls/waves.

This is exactly what we do in the salon to encourage fine hair to hold a curl. All of the above.

If you want your hair to hold all day, very fine, limp hair is still best put up. That is the only way I will personally guarantee a bridal "do" on fine hair. If I put it up I know it will hold and look fabulous all day and night. I can''t/won''t guarantee hair down.

I really don''t recommend those Jessica Simpson extensions... first off: they are synthetic. You can''t curl or straighten them, they will melt. That means you have to purchase either a straight panel or the wavy panel... that means if you curl your natural hair and then put in the wavy extension, and then god forbid your natural hair goes straight, that curly panel is going to stick out like a sore thumb! Not pretty.

OUpearlgirl

Ideal_Rock
I use a straightener to curl mine and it holds better than anything! You might want to practice a couple of times, but it holds really well.

I also have real hair extensions, and I would recommend them over JSimps any day. I can wash them, dry them, curl, straighten, whatever I want!

lulu66

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 4/7/2010 7:36:27 PM
Author: OUpeargirl
I use a straightener to curl mine and it holds better than anything! You might want to practice a couple of times, but it holds really well.

I also have real hair extensions, and I would recommend them over JSimps any day. I can wash them, dry them, curl, straighten, whatever I want!

ditto! here''s a youtube how to that helped me figure out how curling w/the flat iron works. but i do recommend either having a friend/family member help you or lots of practice.

youtube vid

as for extensions? i have not a clue.

beltane

Shiny_Rock
Date: 4/7/2010 7:36:27 PM
Author: OUpeargirl

Wow... I''m surprised, and glad, to hear that. Maybe my flat iron is too hot. I''ve melted Jessica extensions before, and I even had my temp setting on low.

Sounds like it might be worth taking a chance, but for sure you should do some practice tries ahead of time to make sure. It would be awful to find out ON your day that it won''t work.

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
I''m going to ditto HH. I have a lot of fine hair and it always holds curl from rollers better than from an iron. Don''t know why, but it does. I would definitely suggest rollers if you do it yourself.

gwendolyn

Ideal_Rock
Hello ladies! I got myself a flat iron and have curled my hair twice with it and absolutely LOVE LOVE LOVE it!! The first time, I curled it and then spritzed each curl with some sort of Tresseme fine mist hairspray designed for hair like mine, and it looked fab and was still curly the next morning! Today I used just the flat iron with no styling products at all to see how long the curls lasted, and they''re still holding really well 4 hours after I did my hair, although they are more relaxed (obviously). But still wavy and curly and looking lovely!
13.gif
2.gif

Today, I did a practice version of my exact wedding hair and it was EXACTLY what I was hoping for!! So so so so happy!!
36.gif

Plus, since it''s an iron and really quick and easy to use, I will probably use it sometimes just for fun to make myself feel gorgeous and glam.
31.gif

Just wanted to say thanks for all the suggestions!! Only 3 days to go!!!
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif
9.gif

sunnyd

Ideal_Rock
Awesome! Did you take any pics for us to see?
31.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results