shape
carat
color
clarity

Calling all Hair Gurus!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

cammy85

Shiny_Rock

How do you obtain the perfect loose-wavy curls that stay all day? Every time i''ve tried it turns out miserable. And not to mention every time the stylist uses products in my hair, it looks FABULOUS. Everytime I try, I either don''t use enough for it to do what it''s supposed to on my hair, or else I use enough and it looks greasy.

I have mid-length fine hair (but lots of it) styled typically like the first row of pictures.

What I''m hoping to achieve is the look in the second row.

What is the secret?! Or is it all just hair extensions? I''m also getting my hair cut soon so if you have any suggestions that would be awesome as well!

havesandwants.JPG

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
I find my hair looks like that the morning after I've curled it with rollers. So it take rollers, product-usually volumizing foam and hair spray, sometimes a curling iron, lots of booty shaking, and then 8-10 hours of sleep.

ETA Jessica Simpson really needs to wear a bra...

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
Hudson - thanks for the tips.

And yes, she does. I nearly cropped the picture because of that, but then it was an awkward floating head... well, yeah. *shudders*

Do you use hot rollers or just regular ones? And how much booty shaking is usually necessary for you?
25.gif
I''m still the person that has to dry my hair while bent over to get any volume. So i totally understand the booty dance. And do you think a larger-diameter curling iron would be best?

Steel

Ideal_Rock
I know that JS uses extensions and a professional hairdresser; you can see the hair extensions in the bottom row pic.

I have very long hair and dry it straight then work in sections with a curling iron and lots of hair spray. Once I got the hang of it I wondered how I couldn''t do it before.

I used to try to perfect it on PJ nights in and eventually I got to be able to do it on command.

Good luck.

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/3/2009 5:00:46 PM
Author: Steel
I know that JS uses extensions and a professional hairdresser; you can see the hair extensions in the bottom row pic.

I have very long hair and dry it straight then work in sections with a curling iron and lots of hair spray. Once I got the hang of it I wondered how I couldn''t do it before.

I used to try to perfect it on PJ nights in and eventually I got to be able to do it on command.

Good luck.
Thanks. I''m gonna need it. haha.

I figure it''s like most other things, practice makes perfect. What size curling iron would you recommend?

elrohwen

Ideal_Rock
Fantastic question! My hair sounds exactly like yours and I''ve always wanted to achieve that messy curly look. I hope someone has answers!

I''ve never had anyone style it that way, so I''m going to ask my stylist to do it next time I get my hair cut and see if she can show me how.

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
can you try french braid your hair and finish with curling? If I want some nice curls, I usually do two french braids, then it stays on all day long if I want it looser, I only do one french braid overnight followed in the morning with curling iron... if I find pics, I''ll post.

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
Date: 12/3/2009 5:06:23 PM
Author: D&T
can you try french braid your hair and finish with curling? If I want some nice curls, I usually do two french braids, then it stays on all day long if I want it looser, I only do one french braid overnight followed in the morning with curling iron... if I find pics, I''ll post.

I''d love pictures of this if you have any. I''m unfortunately not very adept at french braiding either, but I know I should probably learn at some point!

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
this is with two french braid overnight, so it looks a bit more curled... (try to look past my bright colored clothing.. a traditional outfit
3.gif
)

ETA: Trick is my braids are semi wet, not damp but not completely dry and but it dries out in the AM, otherwise the waves don't stay in that long, and if you want it all day, I spritz with hairspray a bit and blowdry it slightly dry so it doesn't get all over my pillow

ETAA: forgot to mention, I've tried this with straight no layer one length hair and it works ok, however its so heavy it weighs the curls down, I've done this with layers, and works rather well, more bounce since it's lighter weight on top stays curled /wavey longer too

dtcurlwave.JPG

D&T

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 12/3/2009 4:47:24 PM
Author: Hudson_Hawk
I find my hair looks like that the morning after I''ve curled it with rollers. So it take rollers, product-usually volumizing foam and hair spray, sometimes a curling iron, lots of booty shaking, and then 8-10 hours of sleep.

HH- lol... I loved how you came bact to ETA
9.gif

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2009 4:54:17 PM
Author: cammy85
Hudson - thanks for the tips.

And yes, she does. I nearly cropped the picture because of that, but then it was an awkward floating head... well, yeah. *shudders*

Do you use hot rollers or just regular ones? And how much booty shaking is usually necessary for you?
25.gif
I''m still the person that has to dry my hair while bent over to get any volume. So i totally understand the booty dance. And do you think a larger-diameter curling iron would be best?

I wash my hair, comb it out, put in my volumizer, dry it with a blow dryer (upside down) and then roll it in hot rollers. I''m not good with a curling iron... Then I take it down, finger comb the waves, spritz with spray and head out for a night of dancing (aka booty shaking). Then I go home, pass out and 8-10 hours later, wake up hungover but with fantastic hair!

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2009 5:11:29 PM
Author: D&T
Date: 12/3/2009 4:47:24 PM

Author: Hudson_Hawk

I find my hair looks like that the morning after I''ve curled it with rollers. So it take rollers, product-usually volumizing foam and hair spray, sometimes a curling iron, lots of booty shaking, and then 8-10 hours of sleep.

HH- lol... I loved how you came bact to ETA
9.gif
LOL thanks. Her stylist should be fired for sending her out in public like that...then again Ken Paves should be fired for doing such a cruddy job on her extensions!

cammy85

Shiny_Rock

probably the same one that did this to her...

will she never learn??

ETA - holy crap that was huge. the picture. not her. my bad.

jessugh.jpg

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2009 5:20:26 PM
Author: cammy85

probably the same one that did this to her...

will she never learn??

ETA - holy crap that was huge. the picture. not her. my bad.

LOL which, the hair or the pants?

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
uhm... Both?
27.gif

ETA - not only are the pants unflattering, they look like they are on backwards... the little "pockets (i guess?)" look like where a butt is supposed to be... just sayin'

ms.halo

Shiny_Rock
When I want loose curls I use a flat iron and pull the hair the opposite direction and slide the iron slowly down. The result is a pretty tight cork-screw. Then I spray a bit and during the next hour or so it will relax into a loose curl. When I use a curling iron I get the same cork screw but for some reason it falls out completely. Anyway, I curl away from the fact and I JUST do the front portion (maybe six pieces on each side). My hair ends up looking like the pic of Mandy Moore. The whole process takes me about five minutes.

kama_s

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Curls never stay in my hair with a curling iron. I blow dry using a medium barrel brush, roll the hair on the brush and leave for 15-20 min. You''ll need several good brushes for this though.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I have super long, (past bra strap) fine but plentiful hair, and I''ve tried styling it dirty but it doesn''t help. If I''m going out at night, I have to wash it, blow it out, then use hot rollers, and THEN curling iron if I want waves. First it''s uber curly, then I shake it out, some curl falls out, and I go over it randomly with a curling iron. Lots of hair spray later, and I''m good for the night.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Also, that weird brunette pic of JS is super old. She still looks ridiculous, though.

October2008bride

Brilliant_Rock
I''ve found that the best way to get wavy hair is to use a curling iron, but don''t clamp it on your hair.

Hold the curling iron near your scalp and wrap a piece of hair around it, starting near the root (which is different than when you clamp it and roll up from the bottom).

Hold it until you feel your hair hot, and the let it fall. Hair spray. Bask in glory of lovely hair :)

There are clampless curling irons but I like saving the money and just use my old regular one.

jcrow

Ideal_Rock
this how to may help!

Italiahaircolor

Ideal_Rock
Velcro rollers set vertically with a setting spray (stronger hold hairspray). Blow the rollers with heat for your hair dryer. After you undo the rollers, you can probably wear the style for a good 5 or 6 hours solidly.

ljmorgan

Brilliant_Rock
OK Cammy, loose curls that stay take this: HEAT. SUPER HOT HEAT!
1.gif

Some people are blessed with hair that holds a curl very easily, but for most ladies, you''ll need a styling tool that can provide very high levels of heat. For most women, curlers and even most curling irons will not do the trick. Here is what you''ll need:

1) A heat protectant product (hey, I said we''re dealing with a lot of heat here.) This is so that your hair doesn''t get fried over time. I curl my hair every other day with a high quality, very hot flat iron and my hair still looks great. I use a heat protectant spray by Chi but I also like Redken heat protectant products.

2) A high quality flat iron -- I recommend a ghd styler first, and a Chi iron as it is a bit cheaper. I''ve owned them both and the ghd is the way to go but both will work great for curls that stay. You can watch Youtube videos on how to curl with these irons, it''s very easy but it takes a bit for some gals to get the hang of it. These tools put out incredible heat, and those curls WILL stay. I curl mine every other day, and the curls last perfectly into the next day -- I just need a touch up or two the next morning to smooth things out.

3) If one of the flat irons is not in your budget, try a "Hot Tools" curling iron. They run $20-30 depending on the barrel size, and these suckers are true to their name -- they get HOT. These cheap irons are a celebrity favorite! For medium length the 1" iron will give you those loose curls, and if your hair is longer, the 1 1/2" barrel is the way to go.

4) A light coat of aerosol hairspray (not hairspray in a pump!) is optional and can help set your style. Good luck!

cammy85

Shiny_Rock
THANK YOU THANK YOU ALL for such amazing responses! I love hearing how everyone acheieves and keeps this look. I can''t wait to go and get myself a curling iron (and maybe hot rollers) and try this out. I may even try to post some before/after pictures (at least if I ever get the hang of it!) I''m noticing a general consensus that a curling iron is going to be important in this. I''ve tried using the straightener before to make the curl, but as mentioned, it takes a lot of practice hahaha.

Can''t wait to see if I have any luck!

Collee

Shiny_Rock
Also try with "dirty" hair (wash the morning before). I know some people prefer to wash their hair every couple of days as the style holds longer but with fine hair like mine, I HAVE to wash it daily and therefore it becomes too soft (regardless of shampoo used) and never holds waves for more than a couple of hours.

- dirty hair
- mist with hair spray (aerosol)
- big curling iron
- mist again and again and again with hair spray (aerosol)

On your next visit to the salon, ask your stylist what products she/he recommends.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 12/3/2009 10:09:00 PM
Author: Italiahaircolor
Velcro rollers set vertically with a setting spray (stronger hold hairspray). Blow the rollers with heat for your hair dryer. After you undo the rollers, you can probably wear the style for a good 5 or 6 hours solidly.

Italia-how do I get the velcro rollers to not make a birds nest out of my hair? I''m so bad with them they get tangled and stuck. Also, are you supposed to roll your hair with them when wet or dry??

House Cat

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Link How to curl hair with a flat iron.

Because my hair wants to fall flat and straight, I have found that the flat iron is best for long lasting curls. It never fails, a half hour after curling with a curling iron, my hair looks as if it was flat ironed.

Link If you want to use a curling iron. Just be sure to use a good curling iron.

Hudson_Hawk

Super_Ideal_Rock
House Cat, thank you!!! That demo was great. Now I just have to get a flat iron!

Haven

Super_Ideal_Rock
My hair falls to my bra strap, so it's pretty long. It's also fine but I have a lot of it, and it has a natural wave in parts, but it's stick straight in others, which means it looks ridiculous unless I either straighten it or curl it.

When I want long, loose curls this is what I do:
- Wash and condition (I condition the ends only)
- Put in mousse when hair is damp
- Let it air dry until it's about half way to dry
- Mix a nickel of Bumble & Bumble Grooming Creme with a dollop of B&B Defrizz, apply to ends and middle of hair
- Blow dry (until it is *almost* dry but still a bit damp to the touch) with a round brush and my head hanging upside down (this gives me more volume at the roots)
- Spray hair with Chi Keratin Mist
- Use my Chi straight iron (it's a 1" I think) to curl big chunks of my hair at a time
- Run hands through my hair once or twice, then spray curls with hair spray when I'm done and DON'T TOUCH IT AGAIN for the rest of the night!

It looks more complicated than it really is. It totally works, though, and my hair stays nice and wavy as long as I don't run my hands through it a lot.

monarch64

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HouseCat, that video was awesome! I am embarrassed to admit that I JUST purchased a flat iron this fall and didn''t realize you could CURL hair with one. Others mentioned it in this thread and I was sitting here scratching my head wondering if it was like curling ribbon on packages with scissors. Cool.
9.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results