shape
carat
color
clarity

Tips for extreme dry hands?

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
I''ve been experiencing extreme dry hands the past few months--maybe it''s the cold weather, heat..or maybe it''s from me using Purel non stop and washing baby bottles around the clock. Standard moisturizing lotions don''t work, and even tried Gold Balm--not consistently--but did use it, and nothing is really working. My hands have even bled from the extreme dryness and look awful--anyone have tips?

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Hmmm four things that might work, although I know they are hard to do with a newborn sometimes!

1. Get rid of the purell. You don't really need it with frequent hand washing and the alcohol in it is killing your hands.

2. When you wash your hands use a moisturizing soap, you don't need antibacterial which again likely is stripping your hands.

3. Use gloves when washing baby bottles or anything else in the sink.

4. Smear your hands with vaseline and wear gloves over them for a few hours...not sure how well this would work with Chloe, but it really does help.

And for moisturizer I like the Nivea Creme in a the blue container or plain old vaseline.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
thanks neatfreak! 1-2 are tough though--I heard that you need 20 mins of handwashing to remove bacteria that Purel removes. I think I must be full of germs coming home from the trains and subway.

the glove idea sounds good though--I vaguely remember Bliss selling some gloves which were supposed to regenerate moisture. Maybe I''ll look into that..

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 9:20:07 AM
Author: janinegirly
thanks neatfreak! 1-2 are tough though--I heard that you need 20 mins of handwashing to remove bacteria that Purel removes. I think I must be full of germs coming home from the trains and subway.

the glove idea sounds good though--I vaguely remember Bliss selling some gloves which were supposed to regenerate moisture. Maybe I''ll look into that..

Well, the thing about purell is that most doctors say it isn''t really needed with good handwashing (and by "good" they don''t mean 20 minutes)...same thing with antibacterial soap. So you might want to do some of your own research to determine whether you really need it or not. Just because purell removes more bacteria doesn''t mean it''s bacteria that needs to be removed KWIM?

Based on my own research we don''t use it or antibacterial (unless specifically directed by my doctor) soap in our house at all (and we hardly ever get sick)...but of course everyone should do their own research into it.

The glove thing really does work. I live in Wisconsin so I have a lot of experience with dry hands in winter!
2.gif

Burk

Ideal_Rock
Janine, I can totally relate! I wash my hands constantly! I've been using thislotion regularly and it has really helped!!

nycbkgirl

Brilliant_Rock
Aahh u mentioned my beloved bliss :)..I go for spa treatments there and was also looking at the gloves but they are sooo expensive ($48) for just gloves! So I suggest looking into some cheaper versions...I don''t think it matters what kind of glove ;-)

neatfreak

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 10:29:13 AM
Author: nycbkgirl
Aahh u mentioned my beloved bliss :)..I go for spa treatments there and was also looking at the gloves but they are sooo expensive ($48) for just gloves! So I suggest looking into some cheaper versions...I don''t think it matters what kind of glove ;-)

Nope it doesn''t. We use super cheap cotton gloves in my house and they work really well.

KimberlyH

Ideal_Rock
Lanolin. I use the balm they make for breastfeeding on my hands -- they crack and bleed during the winter.

canuk-gal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
HI:

Eucerine lotion. Galaxal or dermabase--or something similar that pharmacists use as a base for mixing topical RX's in. Second the vaseline--my derm suggests mixing it with anohter product like galaxal...

cheers--Sharon

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
thanks--some great ideas. I''m going to try the lanolin or vaseline and gloves. I''ll pick up some 99c gloves during lunch!

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Crabtree and Evelyn''s Goatsmilk Hand Therapy. That stuff is miraculous.

peonygirl

Brilliant_Rock
I agree with neatfreak about the antibacterial handwashing and Purel! My research has shown this to be the case too, and my hands are much less dry after ditching those things. It's been 2 yrs and I definitely haven't gotten sick any more than I did before.

pennquaker09

Brilliant_Rock

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
I''m a hand sanitizer junkie, too, and suffer from such dry hands. My trick is to slather on vaseline, put on cotton gloves and follow that with latex cleaning gloves. Do this for once a day for a half hour or so. And try to use lotion after every hand washing. I''ve been using a lanolin based lotion I bought at the beauty supply. It works well.

snlee

Ideal_Rock
I have problems in the winter with dried hands too. I started using Neutrogena Norwegian Formula Hand Cream (Fragrance-Free) a few months ago and LOVE it! It really works!

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
I guess the main reason for my purell/anti bacterial overusage is my little baby. Otherwise I''m not normally such a germaphobe. I figured the extreme dry hands was worth the price if I can avoid the baby being exposed to the germs I bring home from work and public transportation. So I''m having a hard time letting go the purell for that reason--i generally use it when I''m around the baby mostly. I am consistent with lotion (just not Gold Balm), but it never seems to work beyond the surface skin (so when it''s rubbed off or absorbed, it goes back to dry).

However, I love these lotion suggestions, and picked up some super cheap gloves so will try it out tonight!

shimmer

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Ditto on the Eucerin.

I just started using it and I haven''t had itchy skin since (and that is a miracle for me in the winter). I use it everywhere, hands, body, lip moisturizer. I usually get severely painful eczema on my hands when I wash them too much or use certain paper towels for drying, and haven''t had it since either!

I have tried literally EVERY other lotion (drugstore and department/specialty stores) and this one can''t be beat.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yep, using gloves when washing stuff. . .I buy economy size boxes of surgical gloves at Costco or Target (you'll get 100s of them for around $10-15) and they are thin and I wear them from everything to washing the dishes, cleaning the bathroom, to preparing meat for dinner. That way my hands are washed a lot less.

I've never used Purell, so no experience with that. For me, the best dry skin relief I've found is Bliss Foot Patrol. It's meant to soften heels of feet, however, I use it on my legs and hands and it makes them SO soft! (if you ever have dry legs, this stuff does WONDERS!)

This is the product:
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P6869&searchString=bliss%20foot%20patrol

AmberGretchen

Ideal_Rock
OK, this will sound strange, but the hands-down most amazing lotion I have ever found is this massage cream - it works SO WELL. My hands are constantly dry because I work in a lab and wear gloves most of the day every day and when I''m not wearing gloves I''m washing my hands
3.gif
You obviously don''t need the giant container - you can get a smaller container to try, but I love it and its so cheap too - can''t beat that! I decant it into smaller containers and carry them with me everywhere.

Ditto the others on the Purell - washing your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water for at least 30 seconds will kill anything on your hands you could possibly want to kill. And the dry hands might make your germ-carrying worse because germs like to hide out in cracks and crevices...

Miranda

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 2:05:39 PM
Author: MC
Yep, using gloves when washing stuff. . .I buy economy size boxes of surgical gloves at Costco or Target (you''ll get 100s of them for around $10-15) and they are thin and I wear them from everything to washing the dishes, cleaning the bathroom, to preparing meat for dinner. That way my hands are washed a lot less.

I''ve never used Purell, so no experience with that. For me, the best dry skin relief I''ve found is Bliss Foot Patrol. It''s meant to soften heels of feet, however, I use it on my legs and hands and it makes them SO soft! (if you ever have dry legs, this stuff does WONDERS!)

This is the product:
http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P6869&searchString=bliss%20foot%20patrol
LOL! I thought I was the only one who did that. It creeps DH out that I walk around with latex gloves on so often!
9.gif

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Olive Oil. Seriously. You'll smell like pasta, but man - your hands will be in heaven!

The more conventional product I love is lotion from Origins Called Make a Difference.
http://www.origins.com/templates/products/sp_nonshaded.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY5712&PRODUCT_ID=PROD263 This stuff rescued my hands when I was working at Starbucks. Winter + Constant Dish Washing + Espresso (the acidic content of the espresso wrecked my hands) + harsh cleaneres = hands that would literally crack and bleed. This stuff took care of a lot of that!

laurel25

Brilliant_Rock
I like to use either something with a high shea butter content or just plain baby oil (only 2 drops or so are needed). My hands get really dry because it''s so cold here in MN and we''re working on drywall in our house and drywall mud just leeches the moisture right out of your hands.

I agree with ditching the Purell. You don''t need it and there has been a lot of research done that shows that antibacterial stuff is actually bad for you. It can cause your body to not build up enough immunity to normal every-day germs. As long as you''re washing your hands well with soap & warm water for 15-30 seconds, you''ll be fine and so will your baby.

gailrmv

Ideal_Rock
I can relate, I have horribly dry cracked hands in winter too.

My miracle cure is Lac Hydrin lotion. It used to be prescription, but now is over the counter, but you will need to have your pharmacist order it - usually stores do not stock it. It is amazing, and not expensive either - around $12 for a big thing of it! I also like Origins One Perfect World body balm. For me the trick is to really slather it on before bed and then put on inexpensive white cotton gloves (socks on your hands would probably work too) to hold the moisturizer in. I did this every night for a couple weeks around the holidays when my hands were the worst, alternating between the two lotions, and I noticed improvement in just a few days.

basil

Brilliant_Rock
I wash my hands or use Purell 30-40x per day, so even though I don''t really have dry hands at baseline, I do in the winter while doing this. I''ve heard that Purell is supposed to actually be less drying than washing your hands, but you may want to do your own trial on that. I tend to go about 50/50 since I don''t like the build-up that Purell leaves on my hands after 2-3 uses, but I find washing that much to be more drying than part Purell.

I got into Aquaphor ointment (made by Eucerin, similar to Vaseline but it''s sort of more sticky) when I was on Accutane years and years ago - my derm recommended it. I use it on my lips and before I go to bed I put a thin layer on my hands. It''s kept my hands from cracking for several years now. I don''t use gloves but that might make it even better.

teapot

Shiny_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 2:38:10 PM
Author: geckodani
Olive Oil. Seriously. You''ll smell like pasta, but man - your hands will be in heaven!

The more conventional product I love is lotion from Origins Called Make a Difference.

http://www.origins.com/templates/products/sp_nonshaded.tmpl?CATEGORY_ID=CATEGORY5712&PRODUCT_ID=PROD263 This stuff rescued my hands when I was working at Starbucks. Winter + Constant Dish Washing + Espresso (the acidic content of the espresso wrecked my hands) + harsh cleaneres = hands that would literally crack and bleed. This stuff took care of a lot of that!

I second the olive oil suggestion. I use olive oil on my hands when I know I will be washing my hands a lot. I put on a drop or two work it into my hands and then wash off the excess in cold water. Vaseline also works, but I like olive oil better. I also like to slather my hands in lotion or vaseline and put on surgical gloves when I know I will be wearing them for a while (doing dishes, working in the garden, cleaning the bathroom, etc). I also think it is important to wash your hands in cold water when it isn''t really dirty so you don''t strip the oils and moisture out of your hands when you wash. And as neatfreak told you ditch the purell or at least reduce your usage. I am sick way less then my friend who swears by the purell stuff since I actually wash my hands.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
Vaseline is great, also if you have the Body Shop in the USA, they make a Hemp Serum which is amazing stuff and I really recommend that.

Even with small babies, it is important that they are exposed to a certain amount of germs and bacteria. They will have picked up a fair amount of immunity and antibodies from you whilst they were in the womb and even more if they are breastfed.

Children who are brought up in environments that are too sterile are much more likely to have allergies, pick up viruses more easily and there is some research that they are more susceptible to some retroviruses. My mother who has MS was told that there is thought to be a potential link there as well.

My father, who is an MD, was very keen that we as kids ate a fair amount of mud and dirt to boost our immune systems.

janinegirly

Ideal_Rock
pandora--good point on building immunities. I don''t take the little one out that much (mostly because of intense cold we have here right now) but maybe I should so she is exposed more. I''m not bf''ing so I guess I have to make more effort there!

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Date: 1/15/2009 6:04:59 PM
Author: Pandora II
Vaseline is great, also if you have the Body Shop in the USA, they make a Hemp Serum which is amazing stuff and I really recommend that.

Even with small babies, it is important that they are exposed to a certain amount of germs and bacteria. They will have picked up a fair amount of immunity and antibodies from you whilst they were in the womb and even more if they are breastfed.

Children who are brought up in environments that are too sterile are much more likely to have allergies, pick up viruses more easily and there is some research that they are more susceptible to some retroviruses. My mother who has MS was told that there is thought to be a potential link there as well.

My father, who is an MD, was very keen that we as kids ate a fair amount of mud and dirt to boost our immune systems.
I just got the best mental image of your dad handing you a plate of mud.

Pandora II

Ideal_Rock
LOL, they had a small ''farm'' when I was a baby - of the 6 sheep, six goats, hens, ducks, geese variety - and there are a number of photos of me happily eating mud in the flowerbeds... so he didn''t exactly put it in a bowl, but when they found me eating earthworms they didn''t take it away either... Ewwww
14.gif

Amandine

Brilliant_Rock
I read once that you should wash your hands for as long as it takes to sing "Happy Birthday" to yourself. Its a song everyone knows, and it keeps you consistent in how long are washing.

As for everyone who spoke about consistency with using lotion, I agree. I had one winter that was awful for my hands: doing craft work in the costume shop, dyeing fabrics and a photography class (those chemicals and all the water can be hell on your hands). Slathering up right before bed helped me a lot, too.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results