shape
carat
color
clarity

Tipping (non-bridal)

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
I always tip housekeeping at a hotel, usually $3-5 a day. Similar to eating out, I consider it part of the cost of the stay - not optional. If I can't afford to pay for my meal/room plus a customary and usual tip to those providing the service, I can't afford to eat/stay there. As others have said, housekeepers are doing a job most of us on here would never dream of doing. If you are fortunate enough to be able to afford to take vacations in nice hotels, are you really going to refuse to part with a few bucks for the person that is cleaning your toilet?

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
I find it particularly annoying when people CAN tip, but don't "on principal."

The way I see it, leaving good tips don't affect me in any way, and may make a world of difference to someone else who isn't staying in a nice comfy room or sitting down to a nice meal.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I wonder if people tip differently if they are on business travel (i.e. on the company's dime) vs. on personal travel. I'm guessing people don't have the same philosophical concerns about tipping if they will submit an expense report and get reimbursed for their tips. But, then again, maybe I'm wrong . . . .

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Gypsy, if the hotel room services tacks on a 18% service fee (and they will also usually tack on a $2-$3 delivery fee as well), then I do not tip. My understanding is this is perfectly fine.

As for the housekeeping, when I traveled in my early 20s I never tipped. It was honestly because I didn't know better (plus the Internet for information wasn't as widely used then). :oops: Now I always try to tip - although I admit that because I usually carry little to no cash when I travel, I sometimes am unable to do so each day - I usually have to go out and get money, just to tip...I'm terrible with going to the ATM! Housekeeping usually is the only person I have to tip while traveling as I don't use the bellstand and valet if I can help it.

If you think of the things they have to touch even if you leave the room fairly clean:

Your hair that you blew dry all over the place
Your towel that's wiped your a$$
The soap you used which hopefully has no weird hairs stuck on it
That snotty tissue that you most likely forgot to throw in the wastebasket
That glass with your flu germs all over it

You get the idea. And some people leave used condoms hidden under the bed, or other fantastic treasures.

Basically it's stuff you couldn't PAY me to touch. I don't mind paying a few bucks to give them the privilege.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage said:
I wonder if people tip differently if they are on business travel (i.e. on the company's dime) vs. on personal travel. I'm guessing people don't have the same philosophical concerns about tipping if they will submit an expense report and get reimbursed for their tips. But, then again, maybe I'm wrong . . . .

No, I actually do, but I also often forget to expense out tips.

I hate our hospitality system in the US. But that's not the fault of the people who have to make a living off it. TGuy complained to me ALL THE TIME when he first moved here about this. Said we didn't take care of our workers. I told him, yeah well, get over it and pay them. If we don't like it, then we can move to Australia.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
Circe said:
I tip housekeeping, not because I have a strong feeling about the validity of the practice, but because, a) I don't feel that the housekeepers themselves are the ones to punish for a potentially objectionable practice, and b) because according to our current social norms (just going on America, here), that's what you DO unless you are Mr. Pink.

Do you want to be Mr. Pink?

Jen W., the general practice is to leave a few dollars a day on a bureau or mantel, usually in an envelope provided by the hotel (it's good to indicate that this is the tip, as opposed to spare change you left lying around, as then they won't touch it). Some people wait until the last day of their stay and leave a twenty: I've heard this is unfair, because you might have a different maid cleaning the room everyday, and then only one will get the tip. This might differ according to establishment, as some might have a common kitty.

Thanks Circe! I'll do that.

Jen

Iowa Lizzy

Brilliant_Rock
Hmm, this thread is interesting. Does anyone know how many rooms a housekeeper typically cleans in an hour? Sometimes I just like to break it down so I can see the impact tipping has. You know, if a housekeep cleans 10 rooms in an hour and each room leaves a $5 tip, then that housekeeper has made $30 in an hour. And that $30 doesn't have to be reported to the government, does it? Or split among the housekeeping staff? Do they cut a percentage of their tip to the workers in the laundry room who actually wash and fold all of the towels and linens? I could debate this issue from both sides.

Aside from the face-to-face aspect of tipping a restaurant server vs a housekeeper, there is also sometimes a factor of tipping before you've received the service. I know I've left a five on the bureau for housekeeping and come back to my room to find that I didn't have certain amenities replenished. That has made it harder for me to leave money before the service is completed. And like another poster said, if you wait until the end of your stay to tip, a completely different housekeeper could be receiving the tip.

I do generally leave a tip for housekeeping, but I think there are PLENTY of other jobs that are strenuous and crappy that earn minimum wage w/o benefits and we don't tip those. I dunno, say I go try on a bunch of different shoes at a store and the sales associate has to keep running back and forth to the back room to get them. Then they have to get down on their knees and touch my feet and wait while I prance around and determine that I'd like to see these a half size smaller. Then maybe I decide that I don't want shoes at all anymore. This person could have just spent the past 20 minutes at my beck and call and they don't make commission and they earn minimum wage without any benefits. Like I said, this can be debated for hours. I'm just rambling now.

So_In_Love

Rough_Rock
I think the whole situation is quite unfortunate- restaurants/hotels choose to increase their profit margins by paying their staff very low wages, and consumers are "left to pick up the slack" so to speak to make sure that the staff get a salary they can actually live on....

I agree that sometimes tips should be looked at as bonuses- just because people know that you are not making much, it doesnt mean they have to supplement your income when you simply show up to do your job.

Some places have taken tipping to the extreme- we took a city tour in Miami this summer, and the tickets were about $80 (each). First there was 1 guy driving us around the city, then we got an a boat with a different tour guide, and then a third guy picked us up to drive us back to the hotel. All 3 guys expected a 15-20% tip (they had signs all over the bus), which added up to about half of what we paid for our tickets in the first place...

starryeyed

Ideal_Rock
NovemberBride said:
I always tip housekeeping at a hotel, usually $3-5 a day. Similar to eating out, I consider it part of the cost of the stay - not optional. If I can't afford to pay for my meal/room plus a customary and usual tip to those providing the service, I can't afford to eat/stay there. As others have said, housekeepers are doing a job most of us on here would never dream of doing. If you are fortunate enough to be able to afford to take vacations in nice hotels, are you really going to refuse to part with a few bucks for the person that is cleaning your toilet?
I tip housekeeping too IF I'm staying at a place where it's not already included in my bill. I've stayed at resorts that charge an additional $15 or so per day to cover tips. THAT really bothers me. Do the workers even see the money??

My problem is if I stay for a week and leave say $25, the person cleaning THAT DAY gets the money. What about the folks who cleaned the other 6 days? I've tried to leave money each day, but housekeeping doesn't always understand that the money is for him/her - s/he is not stealing. What do I do?

Once, I left my e-ring and WB on the hotel bathroom counter and housekeeping came through. I was so impressed when my jewelry was STILL THERE when I returned! I tracked the woman down and gave her $20 just for being honest. :))

geckodani

Ideal_Rock
Hmmm. I do generally tip housekeeping, especially if it's an extended stay. If we are only there for one night and barely touched anything, I don't always tip. I always throw a few dollars on the dresser with a thank you when we are on extended stays (the note usually indicated that the money is for them!). We overtip at restaurants (assuming the service is good) because both of us lived off tips at one point or another.

That said... I do think it has gotten out of hand in many venues. Interesting discussion. I also know from a friend that's in the hospitality business that housekeeping does NOT scrub down every surface every day- they do when you leave (for the most part). Most hotels don't change sheets nightly either. So for those of you that save up the tip for the end of the stay, I think it's fitting, since that's the day that the most work will be done.

Edited for spelling.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
TravelingGal said:
Loves Vintage said:

I hate our hospitality system in the US. But that's not the fault of the people who have to make a living off it. TGuy complained to me ALL THE TIME when he first moved here about this. Said we didn't take care of our workers. I told him, yeah well, get over it and pay them. If we don't like it, then we can move to Australia.

I was actually wondering if the people who DO NOT TIP (because they find it an objectionable practice for some reason) behave differently if they are on company business. Do they still not tip at all because they find it objectionable?

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage said:
TravelingGal said:
Loves Vintage said:

I was actually wondering if the people who DO NOT TIP (because they find it an objectionable practice for some reason) behave differently if they are on company business. Do they still not tip at all because they find it objectionable?

LV at a previous employer, I knew some people who would not tip but still put through the expense :nono:

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
fiery said:
Loves Vintage said:
TravelingGal said:
Loves Vintage said:

LV at a previous employer, I knew some people who would not tip but still put through the expense :nono:

:o :o :o Wow, that is really terrible. Honestly, that thought never even crossed my mind when asking the above question. Shameful! :angryfire:

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
I've only tipped housekeeping if I'm on an extended stay (which only happens to be my honeymoon!) Otherwise, I never stay for more than 2 nights and I don't have housekeeping come. I also reuse the towels so they don't have to bring up more. So, as far as I see it, they aren't going to any extra effort for me so I don't "owe" them anything. They are just doing their job.

I do think tipping has gone too far. What's next, tip the mailman? Why do people EXPECT extra money simply because they did their job (besides waitressing where their initial wage is based on tipping, etc) That's what they're supposed to do--their job. I don't buy the "they don't make much money" excuse. There are hundreds of thousands of workers in factories who make a crappy wage and obviously don't get tipped. You chose that profession, you knew how much you would get paid. I'm sorry if you can't get anything better but that's the way it is. (btw-my DH has worked in factories and machine shops his entire working life so I'm familiar) It's sad that it takes a tip for some people to take pride in their job or do their job well.

I've never stiffed a waitress that I can recall. But I have put her tip under an upside-down glass of water. I've only not tipped a hairdresser twice. Once when one made me nearly bald and another who owned the salon and charged double what she had the previous time I went in.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
I agree that tipping in general is really getting out of hand. I also don't like an automatic 18-20% gratuity being added to any bill. I think I should be able to decide what I tip based on the service I receive.

That said, I ALWAYS tip housekeeping. My little sister worked for housekeeping at a hotel for a few months while she was in school. She couldn't pay for tuition, books, and living expenses with her student loan and scholarships. The housekeeping staff at this particular hotel was treated horribly. They were paid minimum wage and were always sent home early (so she averaged $35 a day). They were expected to clean 8 rooms per hour by themselves and an inspector would come through behind them and yell at them for any bit of dust/streak/fingerprint left behind. They were not supplied with gloves or hand sanitizer so she had to buy them herself. It was a 3 star hotel so she rarely received tips.

I also always tip servers in restaurants because I know in my area they generally make less than minimum wage. Its been a while, but when I was looking for part time jobs during school the food service jobs payed $5.25/hour compared to the $7.25/hour minimum wage. Really not fair in my opinion. They do well with tips if the place is busy...but what about the slow nights?

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
somethingshiny said:
I've only tipped housekeeping if I'm on an extended stay (which only happens to be my honeymoon!) Otherwise, I never stay for more than 2 nights and I don't have housekeeping come. I also reuse the towels so they don't have to bring up more. So, as far as I see it, they aren't going to any extra effort for me so I don't "owe" them anything. They are just doing their job.

I do think tipping has gone too far. What's next, tip the mailman? Why do people EXPECT extra money simply because they did their job (besides waitressing where their initial wage is based on tipping, etc) That's what they're supposed to do--their job. I don't buy the "they don't make much money" excuse. There are hundreds of thousands of workers in factories who make a crappy wage and obviously don't get tipped. You chose that profession, you knew how much you would get paid. I'm sorry if you can't get anything better but that's the way it is. (btw-my DH has worked in factories and machine shops his entire working life so I'm familiar) It's sad that it takes a tip for some people to take pride in their job or do their job well.

I've never stiffed a waitress that I can recall. But I have put her tip under an upside-down glass of water. I've only not tipped a hairdresser twice. Once when one made me nearly bald and another who owned the salon and charged double what she had the previous time I went in.

Why? Why do people do this? Get a manager if you aren't happy, seriously. No need to leave a tip under a glass of water or at the bottom of a milkshake glass. :nono: Servers take enough abuse as it is (speaking as a former restaurant manager).

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Why did I do the under the glass thing? She pissed me off and I was 18. It didn't cross my mind to tell the manager. It crossed my mind to piss her off.

I didn't say it was right, I said I did it.

vc10um

Ideal_Rock
I have never tipped housekeeping. In fact, until today, I didn't know people DID. I also do not tip the person who rings me up at the grocery store, the person who changes the oil in my car, or the person who makes my Egg McMuffin. Why not? Well, because all of these people have taken jobs where they are paid to provide a service. And if they do only what is expected of them, what they are *paid* to do, then why should I be expected to tip them?

In my salaried position, I do not receive a bonus (essentially a tip from my company) unless I produce at least 110% of my expected numbers for the year. Why should hourly positions be any different? Why should I give anyone a bonus for doing only the minimum?

If someone goes above and beyond expectations, I will be happy to provide them with a sign of gratitude, be that monetarily, with other tokens of appreciation (baked goods, for example, since I know some employees aren't allowed to accept monetary tips), or with glowing reviews to their supervisor. But one should not be rewarded beyond their salary for just doing their job. My two cents.

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
I do not tip hotel maids and can't really understand why it would be expected. I pay the hotel to stay there, and I consider a clean room to be included in the price I have paid. The maids are paid to do their job by the hotel.

TravelingGal

Super_Ideal_Rock
Guilty Pleasure said:
I do not tip hotel maids and can't really understand why it would be expected. I pay the hotel to stay there, and I consider a clean room to be included in the price I have paid. The maids are paid to do their job by the hotel.

I'm not being flip here, but do you tip waiters? Because I pay the restaurant to eat there and expect to be served my food. The waitstaff should be paid by the restaurant. But sadly, it doesn't quite work that way.

Like I said, the hospitality industry (the way it works) does bug me. But tipping in certain professions in considered customary. You tip waiters. Bellstaff. Housekeepers. Etc.

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
FL Steph said:
Okay, I'm not trying to be rude here, but for those of you that don't like to tip housekeepers, do you clean your own house? If so, you know how hard of a job it is. And that is YOUR mess....think about cleaning the bathrooms of strangers and changing their dirty sheets. It is a job that most people here would think they are too good to do, but some people have no other options. Do you think these people are getting rich off their housecleaning jobs? Do you think this is their "dream job" or do you think they actually have to do this to get by and have food and shelter? So yeah, I absolutely tip the housekeepers because a few dollars a day isn't going to do anything to my bottom line, but it could actually make a big difference to them if everyone gave a few dollars for their hard work. I don't think anyone that cleans their own house would think cleaning is any easier than being a server...

oh and how would a housekeeper go about earning a bonus anyway?

Well said :appl:

Dannielle

Brilliant_Rock
TravelingGal said:
Guilty Pleasure said:

I'm not being flip here, but do you tip waiters? Because I pay the restaurant to eat there and expect to be served my food. The waitstaff should be paid by the restaurant. But sadly, it doesn't quite work that way.

Like I said, the hospitality industry (the way it works) does bug me. But tipping in certain professions in considered customary. You tip waiters. Bellstaff. Housekeepers. Etc.

I totally agree.

In Australia nobody tips anyone (although sometimes i'll give a waiter $5 if the service has been exceptional or I just really liked them). But we don't tip because they are paid a decent wage (depending on age) between $18-$25 not including loading working weekends.

I really think it is the employers responsibility to provide employees with an amount that they can survive off without hounding people for a dollar here or a dollar there.

I am actually feeling slight dread about my upcoming honeymoon to Hawaii because I don't want to offend anyone or do the wrong thing in regards to tipping.

Guilty Pleasure

Brilliant_Rock
TravelingGal said:
Guilty Pleasure said:

I don't think you're being flippant - happy to discuss. I do tip waiters, always more than 15% and usually more than 20%. Their wage is not minimum wage, as tips make up their income. The price of the meal does not include the service of the waiter. The housekeeper at Holiday Inn however is paid a wage by the hotel that is at least legal minimum wage, and a clean bedroom is included in the price of the hotel. It is not my job to supplement the housekeeper's income. I think it is kind of people to tip the housekeeper and don't belittle that choice at all, but I choose not to. I

That being said, when I was in Jamaica at an all-inclusive resort, I tipped the concierge and room service people every time they came to my room because I feel that having my luggage carried for me or food brought to me is NOT a normal service included in the price of a hotel room. I also left money for the maids there because they did things like turn down my bed or other things that I consider "extra". Plus, I don't know the laws in Jamaica or what hotel staff is paid there, and I wouldn't want to stiff someone if they rely on tips for their income versus housekeepers in America who make the same crappy wage as everyone else.

somethingshiny

Ideal_Rock
Personally, I think cleaning is a whole lot easier than serving. I'd guess that the majority of housekeeping staff feel the same. That's why they chose housekeeping instead of waiting tables. I'm not what you'd call a people person so cleaning when no one is there would be a whole lot better for me than plastering a fake smile on my face and dealing with people who want a salad with no lettuce and a vegetarian steak.

LtlFirecracker

Ideal_Rock
I have mixed feelings about tipping. For waitstaff I get it, and in California, last I herd, it was illegal for employers to pay less than minimum wage and use tips as part of the income to justify doing that. I still tip between 15-20%. My husband always goes on the low end, I and often have to tell him to bump it a little.

However, tipping is supposed to be for a job well done, but some people outside of the restaurant industry are getting very agressive, and make you feel guilty for not giving one. I get very annoyed when I am on a tour and they basically state, "hey you really should tip us." One boat tour I went on made the bartenders ring a bell every time they were tipped to let everyone know someone was tipping. I don't need someone to tell me I am supposed to tip someone who serves me a drink, I will do it.

I never let a tour guide tell me how much I should tip them. If I had an experience that were they said they each wanted x amount (someone referenced being on a bus) that would make me angry enough to not tip them (Although I would probably just give them a little less than the amount than I was planning to give). It is my decision how much I should tip, and I know industry standards.

I also took a class where tipping was not mentioned. When I gave my instructor $20 at the end, they told me how much they appreciated it and accepted, but she did not display a since of entitlement.

I guess I am not happy about the fact that tipping has evolved into a must do thing vs a reward for a job well done. Also, it seems more and more industries are trying to get in on it.

Porridge

Ideal_Rock
Dannielle said:
TravelingGal said:
Guilty Pleasure said:

I totally agree.

In Australia nobody tips anyone (although sometimes i'll give a waiter $5 if the service has been exceptional or I just really liked them). But we don't tip because they are paid a decent wage (depending on age) between $18-$25 not including loading working weekends.

I really think it is the employers responsibility to provide employees with an amount that they can survive off without hounding people for a dollar here or a dollar there.

I am actually feeling slight dread about my upcoming honeymoon to Hawaii because I don't want to offend anyone or do the wrong thing in regards to tipping.
Ditto this. I get really stressed out if I'm on holidays in America because I might offend someone by not tipping correctly. Here, if I tried to hand a few euro to someone they'd be offended! Service is part of the deal, it's included in the price along with everything else, it's up to the employer to cover it and they do because they have to. But wages are different here, nobody is on less than minimum wage and we have one of the highest in the world (whole other problem!).

Tipping is a bit more popular here nowadays, probably because we have a large number of American tourists and it caught on. So now it's normal to tip at dinner, but not nearly as expected as it is in the states. 5 of us went to dinner last night, the bill was around €135 and I think we left around €150. I tip less when in mainland Europe, it's far less customary in most places there.

No way would it even cross my mind to tip at a hotel! It's just not done here. If money was left on the dresser, the household staff wouldn't take it. "Tip envelopes" don't exist.

I'm following this thread and the other one with interest, it's funny how different cultural habits can be!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Dannielle said:
TravelingGal said:
Guilty Pleasure said:

I totally agree.

I met a really nice Australian couple when me and SO were in Mexico. We ate dinner with them and fiance offered to pay. It was 100$ or something like that and he just told them to cover the tip. They actually had no idea what a "tip" was and we explained it to them. It just goes to show that every culture is different and the social "norms" vary vastly across the world. Very interesting to see different perspectives :)

princesss

Ideal_Rock
I had no idea tipping was expected in a hotel! But then, I have extremely limited experience in American hotels.

Glad I'm finding this out now, as I'm going on a business trip in a few weeks and now I know I need to make sure to have cash.

ETA: Are you supposed to tip cab drivers here?

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
somethingshiny said:
Personally, I think cleaning is a whole lot easier than serving. I'd guess that the majority of housekeeping staff feel the same. That's why they chose housekeeping instead of waiting tables. I'm not what you'd call a people person so cleaning when no one is there would be a whole lot better for me than plastering a fake smile on my face and dealing with people who want a salad with no lettuce and a vegetarian steak.

My sister thought the exact same thing. However, she found that most of the cleaning staff at her particular hotel were not comfortable with the english language and probably would not be hired as servers for that reason. Housekeeping is also a lot harder than you'd think since they have less than eight minutes per room (at her hotel) and have to meet strict quality control standards. Hopefully other hotels treat their staff better than this.

chemgirl

Ideal_Rock
princesss said:
I had no idea tipping was expected in a hotel! But then, I have extremely limited experience in American hotels.

Glad I'm finding this out now, as I'm going on a business trip in a few weeks and now I know I need to make sure to have cash.

ETA: Are you supposed to tip cab drivers here?

Yes, you're expected to tip cab drivers. I usually tip 15-20% depending on how helpful they are. If they purposely take me on a more expensive route I refuse to tip (has only happened to me once).

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results