shape
carat
color
clarity

Tipping (non-bridal)

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Why do we have to tip housekeeping at hotels? I get that if you mess up the room royally it is nice to tip. But if you just use the room as a normal person, put your trash in the bins, and leave... why tip? Housekeepers aren't paid like servers (2 something an hour because of tips). They don't have to smile at you or be thoughtful of you or talk to you.

Plus... I ordered room service and noticed there is an 18% fee tacked on already. Why would I tip over this amount? So I didn't, and tonight when I ordered room service again -- no cutlery or salt and pepper shakers plus sour server. Retaliation? Maybe. Or maybe they forgot. But... I'm not giving you a service charge of 18% and then tipping you for (again) doing your job. Sorry.

My nail ladies get tips. Generous ones. They work hard and are friendly and considerate and see to my comfort without my even asking (I have a number of nice salons near me).

My servers at restuarants that aren't counter order or buffet get nice tips, IF they provide me with good service. And even a buffet server who is at my table with bread, water, whatever gets a good tip.

But tipping IMO in some cases is just out of control. I remember I spent a weekend in NY and everyone had their hand out. Money was like water. Everyone wanted a sip. And when you think about it... I get bonuses but only if I hit fairly rigorous performance goals. I gotta tell ya, smiling at my boss or clients doesn't get me tips. I actually have to do my job-- AND THEN MORE THAN MY JOB, to get a bonus. Hence the term bonus.

Maybe if we started calling them 'bonuses' instead of the innocuous 'tip' that we've been trained to give without thinking twice it would make more sense. You only get a bonus if you earn it. And showing up isn't enough.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy said:
Why do we have to tip housekeeping at hotels? I get that if you mess up the room royally it is nice to tip. But if you just use the room as a normal person, put your trash in the bins, and leave... why tip? Housekeepers aren't paid like servers (2 something an hour because of tips). They don't have to smile at you or be thoughtful of you or talk to you.

Plus... I ordered room service and noticed there is an 18% fee tacked on already. Why would I tip over this amount? So I didn't, and tonight when I ordered room service again -- no cutlery or salt and pepper shakers plus sour server. Retaliation? Maybe. Or maybe they forgot. But... I'm not giving you a service charge of 18% and then tipping you for (again) doing your job. Sorry.

My nail ladies get tips. Generous ones. They work hard and are friendly and considerate and see to my comfort without my even asking (I have a number of nice salons near me).

My servers at restuarants that aren't counter order or buffet get nice tips, IF they provide me with good service. And even a buffet server who is at my table with bread, water, whatever gets a good tip.

But tipping IMO in some cases is just out of control. I remember I spent a weekend in NY and everyone had their hand out. Money was like water. Everyone wanted a sip. And when you think about it... I get bonuses but only if I hit fairly rigorous performance goals. I gotta tell ya, smiling at my boss or clients doesn't get me tips. I actually have to do my job-- AND THEN MORE THAN MY JOB, to get a bonus. Hence the term bonus.

Maybe if we started calling them 'bonuses' instead of the innocuous 'tip' that we've been trained to give without thinking twice it would make more sense. You only get a bonus if you earn it. And showing up isn't enough.

If I'm only staying at a hotel for a weekend me and fiance don't even bother having the housekeeping clean our rooms. We just get new towels and thats it, we're not messy people at all. Even on a 7 night hotel stay we have housekeeping clean up twice at most...significantly reduces having to tip =]

Gypsy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay so... I think this is crazy, but AL you brought up a good point and it reminded me of something. What if you don't allow housekeeping to come in while you are there (I'm a privacy freak so I don't unless I need a linen change, and even then if it's towels I'll just ask for fresh towels brought up)... but (and I kid you not) someone once told me that I have to tip EVEN MORE if I don't get housekeeping because the room will be X number of days worth of dirty so they will have to spend more time cleaning it?

What??? How can cleaning ONCE for five minutes longer be more work that cleaning everyday (making the bed, folding the towels EVERYDAY) for ten minutes a day. Doesnt' add up.

Tipping is confusing man. BONUS. I swear to you... except for food service, where they get paid less because of tips, BONUS is what it is. Earn it.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I find it sad that people don't tip housekeepers. When my family members first came to the US that was really one of the very few options that was out there for them in terms of employment. They worked hard. It's not an easy job by any stretch of the imagination whether you have them there every day or just when you leave.

Nothing else to add to this discussion except its sad. $5 won't hurt thebank, especially for the majority of us on this site. Some of those ladies need it and the $5 goes a long way.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Gypsy said:
Okay so... I think this is crazy, but AL you brought up a good point and it reminded me of something. What if you don't allow housekeeping to come in while you are there (I'm a privacy freak so I don't unless I need a linen change, and even then if it's towels I'll just ask for fresh towels brought up)... but (and I kid you not) someone once told me that I have to tip EVEN MORE if I don't get housekeeping because the room will be X number of days worth of dirty so they will have to spend more time cleaning it?

What??? How can cleaning ONCE for five minutes longer be more work that cleaning everyday (making the bed, folding the towels EVERYDAY) for ten minutes a day. Doesnt' add up.

Tipping is confusing man. BONUS. I swear to you... except for food service, where they get paid less because of tips, BONUS is what it is. Earn it.

Absolutely no chance will I ever tip more if I don't allow housekeeping into my room....that is absolutely absurd to me and it does not add up in my mind either. Wow.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
fiery said:
I find it sad that people don't tip housekeepers. When my family members first came to the US that was really one of the very few options that was out there for them in terms of employment. They worked hard. It's not an easy job by any stretch of the imagination whether you have them there every day or just when you leave.

Nothing else to add to this discussion except its sad. $5 won't hurt thebank, especially for the majority of us on this site. Some of those ladies need it and the $5 goes a long way.

I definitely tip quite generously if I use the housekeeping. However, I don't think I need to tip anyone if I'm not using the service. My mom had a similar job when she first came to the U.S. and I know how hard the job is but thats exactly it, a job. If you're doing a job then yes, tipping is necessary but if you're not, then it isn't.

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
I find it interesting that you would tip a server but not a housekeeper. I'm not sure how they work any harder than a housekeeper. Technically, you sit down for a meal for about 45 mins. A housekeeper takes 1-2 hours to clean up a room. How is it that they work harder to serve you in those 45 mins than a housekeepr does in those 2 hours? Is it because once you are gone the housekeeper is out of sight, out of mind?

And just because you prefer to defer the job until after you leave that doesn't mean they aren't servicing you. They're cleaning the toilet you dirtied for the past x days, changing the sheets you put your body sweat on, picking up the trash you left behind, replenishing what you used from the room.
I think it's a bit dishonest to defer the housekeeping until the end and skip out on the tip. FWIW we never have a housekeeper in the room while we're there but we always leave a tip even if just a few dollars.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
fiery said:
I find it interesting that you would tip a server but not a housekeeper. I'm not sure how they work any harder than a housekeeper. Technically, you sit down for a meal for about 45 mins. A housekeeper takes 1-2 hours to clean up a room. How is it that they work harder to serve you in those 45 mins than a housekeepr does in those 2 hours? Is it because once you are gone the housekeeper is out of sight, out of mind?

And just because you prefer to defer the job until after you leave that doesn't mean they aren't servicing you. They're cleaning the toilet you dirtied for the past x days, changing the sheets you put your body sweat on, picking up the trash you left behind, replenishing what you used from the room.
I think it's a bit dishonest to defer the housekeeping until the end and skip out on the tip. FWIW we never have a housekeeper in the room while we're there but we always leave a tip even if just a few dollars.

Good points, Fiery. I have never even thought about it that way and I actually mean that. I'll keep it in mind the next time I stay at a hotel even if I don't use their service when I'm actually there.

Miss Sparkly

Brilliant_Rock
Personally, I think that tipping has gotten out of hand. Why should I tip somebody to do their job that they're being paid for? The state that I live in can pay servers below minimum and then use the tips to make up the difference. Pisses me off that all I'm doing is helping the restaurant to increase their profits instead of giving the server a bit extra. Anyway, off my high horse. I do make sure to tip for excellent service that goes beyond the job duties.

Jennifer W

Brilliant_Rock
Trade
I've never heard of tipping in hotels for housekeeping, room service or anything else except restaurant service. That is just not done in the UK. It would be considered slightly insulting in some establishments, in fact.

I have a trip to the US coming up, and I'll be mostly staying with family with maybe one or two nights in a hotel - help me out here, who and how do I tip?

Thanks!

soocool

Ideal_Rock
I always tip housekeeping because I have seen how hard they work. They are always polite and when I ask for something and they have always given it to me asap.

As for servers, it is sad that they work for minimum wage, but as for their tips they do not keep all 100% of it. They have to share with busboys and other staff (e.g. bartenders). Why are prices so high in some restaurants? Think of the overhead. That is what you are paying for in the cost of a meal.

What drives me nuts is people who run their own businesses and want a tip. The woman who cuts my hair is a friend. She works at a salon 4 days a week and then cuts hair at home once a week. I understand tipping her if I came to the salon because she gets 50% of the cost of the service at the salon. At home she gets 100%. There was a woman at her house just before she cut my hair and the woman gave her a very generous tip. I told her that I felt stingy not tipping her and she said she would not take a tip from me. Don't know if I believe her or not. But she told me that the owner of the salon takes tips. Should the owner take tips?

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Okay, I'm not trying to be rude here, but for those of you that don't like to tip housekeepers, do you clean your own house? If so, you know how hard of a job it is. And that is YOUR mess....think about cleaning the bathrooms of strangers and changing their dirty sheets. It is a job that most people here would think they are too good to do, but some people have no other options. Do you think these people are getting rich off their housecleaning jobs? Do you think this is their "dream job" or do you think they actually have to do this to get by and have food and shelter? So yeah, I absolutely tip the housekeepers because a few dollars a day isn't going to do anything to my bottom line, but it could actually make a big difference to them if everyone gave a few dollars for their hard work. I don't think anyone that cleans their own house would think cleaning is any easier than being a server...

oh and how would a housekeeper go about earning a bonus anyway?

Astra

Rough_Rock
FL Steph said:
Okay, I'm not trying to be rude here, but for those of you that don't like to tip housekeepers, do you clean your own house? If so, you know how hard of a job it is. And that is YOUR mess....think about cleaning the bathrooms of strangers and changing their dirty sheets. It is a job that most people here would think they are too good to do, but some people have no other options. Do you think these people are getting rich off their housecleaning jobs? Do you think this is their "dream job" or do you think they actually have to do this to get by and have food and shelter? So yeah, I absolutely tip the housekeepers because a few dollars a day isn't going to do anything to my bottom line, but it could actually make a big difference to them if everyone gave a few dollars for their hard work. I don't think anyone that cleans their own house would think cleaning is any easier than being a server...

Interesting.

Do you tip nurses? They clean other beds also, and not only beds but human fluids as well. I never heard anyone saying they gave tip to a nurse after spending few days in hospital. You think nursing is a dream job? Well paid? They don't deserve extra for their hard work? :confused:

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
soocool said:
I always tip housekeeping because I have seen how hard they work. They are always polite and when I ask for something and they have always given it to me asap.

As for servers, it is sad that they work for minimum wage, but as for their tips they do not keep all 100% of it. They have to share with busboys and other staff (e.g. bartenders). Why are prices so high in some restaurants? Think of the overhead. That is what you are paying for in the cost of a meal.

What drives me nuts is people who run their own businesses and want a tip. The woman who cuts my hair is a friend. She works at a salon 4 days a week and then cuts hair at home once a week. I understand tipping her if I came to the salon because she gets 50% of the cost of the service at the salon. At home she gets 100%. There was a woman at her house just before she cut my hair and the woman gave her a very generous tip. I told her that I felt stingy not tipping her and she said she would not take a tip from me. Don't know if I believe her or not. But she told me that the owner of the salon takes tips. Should the owner take tips?

Can't say I agree that they're always nice. Maybe I have just had some bad experience but for the most part any housekeeping I have dealt with have been awfully rude.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
Astra said:
FL Steph said:

Interesting.

Do you tip nurses? They clean other beds also, and not only beds but human fluids as well. I never heard anyone saying they gave tip to a nurse after spending few days in hospital. You think nursing is a dream job? Well paid? They don't deserve extra for their hard work? :confused:

Also a really good point and I also never thought of it that way.

Interesting thread.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Astra said:
FL Steph said:

Interesting.

Yep, I do think they are pretty well paid. I know they work hard, but I have many many nurse friends that make quite a good living (more than a lot of school teachers with master's degrees) as well as flexible hours and great benefits. Also, they chose to go to college specifically for that degree and job. How many housekeepers do you think actually dreamed of doing that for a living as a child?

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
fiery said:

Ditto times infinity. Is it really that much trouble to tip the person who cleans up after you?

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
FL Steph said:
Astra said:
FL Steph said:

Interesting.

Yep, I do think they are pretty well paid. I know they work hard, but I have many many nurse friends that make quite a good living (more than a lot of school teachers with master's degrees) as well as flexible hours and great benefits. Also, they chose to go to college specifically for that degree and job. How many housekeepers do you think actually dreamed of doing that for a living as a child?

I reaaaaaaalllly disagree with this. I'll be going to a nursing program soon and while I choose to go to school for that and work my ass off for that degree, housekeepers CHOOSE that job too, don't they? This could get into an entire discussion about how some people don't have the privilege of going to college and things like that but either way our careers are our choices.

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
fiery said:

I think part of it is the face to face service that is being received.

I personally don't think we should have to tip housekeepers, but I also believe they should be paid a heck of a lot more than they are. We don't tip janitors. We don't tip carpet cleaners. The only time I tip for a service is if it is someone working for the company, vs the owner doing the work. They are being paid to do a service. I actually wish that more restaurants included gratuity and made sure that the server is the only one who receives the gratuity. The lady at the door makes more, why should she get my waitress' tip?

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember said:
FL Steph said:
Astra said:
FL Steph said:

Interesting.

I reaaaaaaalllly disagree with this. I'll be going to a nursing program soon and while I choose to go to school for that and work my a$$ off for that degree, housekeepers CHOOSE that job too, don't they? This could get into an entire discussion about how some people don't have the privilege of going to college and things like that but either way our careers are our choices.
Yep, they do choose to do that. Out of what other options, being a lawyer, a doctor? Nope, don't think so. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Just wanted to point out that I think it's worth a few extra bucks to help out someone that cleans up the toilet we've pooped in for a few bucks an hour, that's all.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411 said:
fiery said:

I personally don't think we should have to tip housekeepers, but I also believe they should be paid a heck of a lot more than they are. We don't tip janitors. We don't tip carpet cleaners. The only time I tip for a service is if it is someone working for the company, vs the owner doing the work. They are being paid to do a service. I actually wish that more restaurants included gratuity and made sure that the server is the only one who receives the gratuity. The lady at the door makes more, why should she get my waitress' tip?

I completely agree. There are so many jobs including housekeeping where people SHOULD be paid more for their hard work and it is unfortunate that they aren't...

dragonfly411

Ideal_Rock
Autumn, I both agree and disagree with that post. Some people are not apt enough to perform a higher level job. Some truly don't have the access to the education. For some, it was the highest paying they could find. Housekeepers generally make a bit more than fast food where I am from, and sometimes more than retail (depending on the business), but less than most receptionists, secretaries etc. At the same time, we also NEED those people there to perform those services. Of course we could always have a new rule where we clean after ourselves.

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
FL Steph said:
Autumnovember said:
FL Steph said:
Astra said:
FL Steph said:

Interesting.

I reaaaaaaalllly disagree with this. I'll be going to a nursing program soon and while I choose to go to school for that and work my a$$ off for that degree, housekeepers CHOOSE that job too, don't they? This could get into an entire discussion about how some people don't have the privilege of going to college and things like that but either way our careers are our choices.
Yep, they do choose to do that. Out of what other options, being a lawyer, a doctor? Nope, don't think so. We'll have to agree to disagree on this one. Just wanted to point out that I think it's worth a few extra bucks to help out someone that cleans up the toilet we've pooped in for a few bucks an hour, that's all.

Wait, woah. Out of what other options? There are a ton of options of good paying jobs that doesn't have to even come close to being a doctor or lawyer. Work hard to get there? Yes. I'm not at all saying housekeepers don't work hard. They do. My mom did it for a while when she first came to the U.S. and I'm actually good friends with my housekeeper at home but I'm just pointing out that it is a choice.

Nashville

Brilliant_Rock
dragonfly411 said:
fiery said:

Not always true. When I was a hostess, I made hourly wage. No tips. The servers who were there all night made much more than me, and rightfully so. Lots of restaurants have adopted this policy to keep things fair. Just wanted to clarify, sorry for the threadjack!

Autumnovember

Ideal_Rock
dragonfly411 said:
Autumn, I both agree and disagree with that post. Some people are not apt enough to perform a higher level job. Some truly don't have the access to the education. For some, it was the highest paying they could find. Housekeepers generally make a bit more than fast food where I am from, and sometimes more than retail (depending on the business), but less than most receptionists, secretaries etc. At the same time, we also NEED those people there to perform those services. Of course we could always have a new rule where we clean after ourselves.

Dragonfly,

True, some people aren't apt to perform high level jobs but access to education in my opinion is a completely different story...and I guess the topic should be left alone because people probably feel very strongly about it. Agreed that we do need those people to do those services just like we need anyone else at any other job.

Believe it or not, anytime I am at a restaurant I clean off the table myself for some reason. Anytime I am at a hotel, I take the sheets off and I make sure anything that is trash is in the trash. I don't leave the room messy at all...so I guess thats part of the reason why I don't tip if I haven't used the housekeeping.

Circe

Ideal_Rock
Trade
I tip housekeeping, not because I have a strong feeling about the validity of the practice, but because, a) I don't feel that the housekeepers themselves are the ones to punish for a potentially objectionable practice, and b) because according to our current social norms (just going on America, here), that's what you DO unless you are Mr. Pink.

Do you want to be Mr. Pink?

Jen W., the general practice is to leave a few dollars a day on a bureau or mantel, usually in an envelope provided by the hotel (it's good to indicate that this is the tip, as opposed to spare change you left lying around, as then they won't touch it). Some people wait until the last day of their stay and leave a twenty: I've heard this is unfair, because you might have a different maid cleaning the room everyday, and then only one will get the tip. This might differ according to establishment, as some might have a common kitty.

Loves Vintage

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Nashville said:
fiery said:

Ditto times infinity. Is it really that much trouble to tip the person who cleans up after you?

Couldn't agree more! What is about some people who have money that makes them want to hold onto it so much more tightly and devise justifications for doing so? I don't get it and find it annoying and slightly troubling.

ETA: I guess people just have different feelings toward money. To me, $5 here or there would not make a difference to me, whereas it might make a difference to someone else, so why not?

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Autumnovember said:
FL Steph said:
Autumnovember said:
FL Steph said:
Astra said:
FL Steph said:

Interesting.

Wait, woah. Out of what other options? There are a ton of options of good paying jobs that doesn't have to even come close to being a doctor or lawyer. Work hard to get there? Yes. I'm not at all saying housekeepers don't work hard. They do. My mom did it for a while when she first came to the U.S. and I'm actually good friends with my housekeeper at home but I'm just pointing out that it is a choice.
Nevermind.

steph72276

Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage said:
Nashville said:
fiery said:

Couldn't agree more! What is about some people who have money that makes them want to hold onto it so much more tightly and devise justifications for doing so? I don't get it and find it annoying and slightly troubling.

ETA: I guess people just have different feelings toward money. To me, $5 here or there would not make a difference to me, whereas it might make a difference to someone else, so why not?
Couldn't agree more. And if $5 here and there is such a big deal, maybe the person shouldn't be on vacation at a hotel...

fieryred33143

Ideal_Rock
Loves Vintage said:
Nashville said:
fiery said:

People tip servers because as DF mentioned above, there is a face to face interaction. If you don't leave a tip, the server will know. They can put a face to that bill that did not include a tip. No one wants to lose the perception of being a generous person. A housekeeper can't put a face to the room that didn't leave the tip. There's no loss of ego involved in not leaving a tip.

As for the nursing, IMO it's different. I don't tip a nurse because a) they're not allowed to accept it and b) they receive other benefits that take place of a tip (health insurance, flexible schedule, well paying job, opportunities for advancement, etc.). Minimum wage jobs don't receive the same kind of benefit.

For me, it's more of the emotional aspect of it than the principle. All of the housekeepers I know came from poor countries and/or families with very little opportunities to go to college to get a better job. I had the opportunity to go to college and am in a very well paying job. $5 is the cost of the coffee I get almost every day. It's not going to brake the bank to leave a small bill as a thank you for cleaning the room well enough for me to enjoy it prior to arriving and thank you for cleaning up after my mess now that I'm leaving.

ETA: I understand not tipping because of horrible service. I wouldn't tip in that case either.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results