shape
carat
color
clarity

Tipping jeweler

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Is it customary to tip a jeweler when they''re making a custom piece? I have one jeweler, whom I''m in contact with, who''s making the mold and then another, who''s at a seperate location, who''s making the actual piece, and I''ll never meet him/her. . .so do I tip the first jeweler?

Thanks,
Michelle

mike04456

Brilliant_Rock
Interesting question. I would say no, unless you're really impressed with the service. You're already paying for the custom work. I've never heard of anyone tipping a jeweler, though I suppose it happens. IMO, tips are for low-wage service employees, not professionals/owners.

Caratz

Shiny_Rock
----------------
On 12/3/2003 3:20:11 PM LawGem wrote:

Interesting question. I would say no, unless you're really impressed with the service. You're already paying for the custom work. I've never heard of anyone tipping a jeweler, though I suppose it happens. IMO, tips are for low-wage service employees, not professionals/owners.
----------------

I agree. The way you show your appreciation to a jeweler is to become a repeat customer.

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Yes I agree...we paid through the nose for our custom job...no tip required!
1.gif

MichelleCarmen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Okay, great! Thanks again. It's certainly is becoming more difficult to determine who to tip these days. Everyone is expecting something extra!

Michelle

niceice

Brilliant_Rock
No. But a few years ago we built a custom engagement ring for a close friend, as in a close friend, Best Bud all the way back from the 4th Grade... He was completely flustered by the whole engagement ring concept and just to mess with him I tossed a twenty percent tip into the tip category of the charge slip and handed it to him for signature... He signed it and went merrily out the door, I didn't run it through the machine... Ten minutes later he was back waiving the slip in my face and asking "what the...?" to which I replied innocently "What? You don't think I provided you with an excellent service? You tip a waitress... You tip your barber... You even tip the pizza delivery guy... And what do they do for you? Just their job..." and I waited... He stared blankly, blinked a few times and then said "You're serious!?!?" to which I repled "yea" and we sat there staring at each other for a few more seconds... Then I handed him the correct charge slip and said "but if you're going to be cheap, you can sign this one"
2.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Funny story niceice. Best buds are the best to mess with their heads.

I did tip my jeweler for finding my diamond. Many of the stones were more expensive than the one I fell in love with. I felt that he could have easily steered me in the direction of a more expensive stone & thus making more money on the %.

That said, I don't think it's customary. I'm with you - sometimes I never know how much & who to tip. Caratz is correct - repeat business & referrals are the best "tip". If you are really happy, take him his favorite choclate, etc.

Good luck with your ring!

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
We actually sent our jeweler an IdealScope as a thank you...but I doubt they use it. Kind of old-school.
2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results