shape
carat
color
clarity

Tiny Paraiba, setting ideas...

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
I went to the local Gemshow a few months back and picked up a 10 point Paraiba Tourmaline from FGS Gems. Despite it's size and the fact it's heavily included I had to have it... The saturation! Here's a few pictures:

dsc_0024.jpg

dsc_0005.jpg

dsc_0021.jpg

My question is: I want it set smack dab in the center of a fairly simple white gold band. But the stone is so tiny, I want to lose as little stone as possible to it's captive metal. What's the best way to have it set? Also, open or closed back? I was thinking closed for ease of cleaning. A lot of folks with good taste on this forum, so any ideas other than "simple w/g band" as a setting would be welcome. I'm a man btw. :naughty: So unfortunately I'm excluded from more delicate (often times more beautiful) settings.

athenaworth

Ideal_Rock
Trade
Holy crap! I can see why you'd have to have it. I hope this doesn't sound bad because I mean it in the nicest way possible, but it reminds me of a Halls cough drop! That sucker packs quite the punch.

Oh, and to answer your question - a bezel for sure. Maybe get two 10pt diamonds and do a sort of three stone set into a brushed white gold band?

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Stunning, beautiful and fully worth of the "Paraiba" title. :love:

I most definitely wouldn't bezel it - you'd lose so much of the stone. However, you can set it inside the band but have tiny claws holding it in place. Sinking it just below the line of the ring (or flush with it) will protect it also. Swiss set (sometimes called gypsy set) would work too which is a way of sinking it but with very little metal encompassing the stone.

You could have a closed back but I'd like to see a photo of it between your fingers. I doubt that the colour will change or that you'll lose any of the neon glow but just try it as an experiment to make sure. If you don't lose anything in terms of how it looks then I'd go for a completely closed back.

Here's an example of a swiss set gents ring and I actually like that the stone is off-centre and the line going around the band also. It gives a bit of interesting detail but makes it look quite manly (if you know what I mean).

swiss_set_gents_ring.jpg

distracts

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, tiny but mighty!

JaneSmith

Brilliant_Rock
That is one tasty little Paraiba! I can't wait to see the finished ring.

I like LD's setting suggestion. Here are some more:

_5207.jpg

_5208.jpg

_5209.jpg

_5210.jpg

VapidLapid

Ideal_Rock

paraibasmile.jpg

pandabee

Ideal_Rock
:cheeky: it's so bright! Like a tiny, bright little star!! hehe Vapid...that is also a great idea to show it off lol

Agneau

Shiny_Rock
hahahaha, Vapid.

I like the setting ideas that were posted!! I think it will look beautiful. Although I personally wouldn't add any detail or designs to the band and let the stone just be there in all of its colored glory.

minousbijoux

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Now THAT, my friend is a true Paraiba! :love: :love: :love: It looks like you could see that guy from across a football field.

If anyone wants to see an example of what a true Paraiba is capable of, point them to this thread because this one might be small but it is mighty!

marcy

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow that is amazing. How exciting to own such a treasure.

Justin_Cutter

Brilliant_Rock
Wow absolutely beautiful! Now ship that thing off to Kenny for some super close ups!!! Haha :love:
~Justin

JewelFreak

Ideal_Rock
Everything's already said but I'll add a couple of big WOWs. THAT'S a Paraiba!

I like the idea of gypsy setting it - I'd go for an open back.

In Jane Smith's photo -- a yellow gold bezel might go well with the richness of that Paraiba color (I wouldn't add any other ornamentation; that stone doesn't need help!):

_5211.jpg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Wow, what an exciting gem!!!

I've often said a tiny gem can have a huge presence if the color is good enough.
Your Paraiba is the best example I've seen of this.

I'm terribly curious what it cost.
I know I'm being rude and ignore me if you want to, no problem. :))

txgreeneyes

Shiny_Rock
Wow! Now that's a glow!

katharath

Ideal_Rock
LOVE it! That's exactly the kind of thing I would go for; something small but with fabulous presence. All of the setting ideas are great too, most are exactly what popped into my mind - the general style I mean :)

marymm

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Talk about neon - that Paraiba is all lit up - gorgeous!

As another option, how about this setting? Still simple, but a slight more than just a band... this particular ring is in Sterling Silver with a 22kt Yellow Gold bezel around the 3mm blue zircon but it could easily be done in all gold.

steven_brixner_7091-1.jpg

steven_brixner_7091.jpg

http://www.brixnerdesign.com/gallery.asp?catpg=mmring&offset=20

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Thank you for all the kind words and setting ideas! I must say I'm flattered that seasoned collectors such as yourselves approve of my stone. Gypsy setting... I'm glad I asked, I had never heard of that, and it looks exactly like what I need! I like the off center suggestion with a thin ridge approximately the diameter of the stone going around the band, I'm still undecided as to whether I'd want the ridge up or down though. I'm also a fan of the flat top, I love the transition, but instead of being completely flat on top I'd get it slightly domed.

Kenny, no problem, the stone was $300. The price seemed fair enough, I still tried to talk him down though( :Up_to_something: ), but he wasn't budging and I couldn't bear to leave it behind.

Regards,
Greg

kenny

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GregS|1365283832|3421597 said:
Kenny, no problem, the stone was $300.

Thanks. :wavey:
I may be uninformed, but to me it feels like a great price for what you got.
I'm not speaking from experience, just my gut.

eac

Shiny_Rock
To set the pariaba in a pendant, instead of a ring, I'd set it as an accent to an opal or a pearl. The colors will complement the pariaba, and around your neck, the gemstones will be well out of harm's way. I have a pendant with an 8 x 6 opal and a 4 mm square emerald together and they look great.

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GregS|1365283832|3421597 said:
Thank you for all the kind words and setting ideas! I must say I'm flattered that seasoned collectors such as yourselves approve of my stone. Gypsy setting... I'm glad I asked, I had never heard of that, and it looks exactly like what I need! I like the off center suggestion with a thin ridge approximately the diameter of the stone going around the band, I'm still undecided as to whether I'd want the ridge up or down though. I'm also a fan of the flat top, I love the transition, but instead of being completely flat on top I'd get it slightly domed.

Kenny, no problem, the stone was $300. The price seemed fair enough, I still tried to talk him down though( :Up_to_something: ), but he wasn't budging and I couldn't bear to leave it behind.

Regards,
Greg

Funnily enough when I posted that picture I also thought that a D shape shank (ie domed) would work better - especially as it would follow the roundness of the stone. Just one word of caution, don't go too D shape because it will then look like many other D shape rings. I would have a very slight doming. It may mean going custom but it would be well worth it for this stone. Personally I like the squarer men's rings but with domed they've either got to be very domed or only slightly!!!! How fussy am I! :lol:

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
It's good to be fussy! :lol: It means you know what you want.

Oh, and LD, I'd post a picture of it between my fingers if I didn't have gnarly hands due to working on cars for the past ten years. ;(

LD

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
GregS|1365358783|3422053 said:
It's good to be fussy! :lol: It means you know what you want.

Oh, and LD, I'd post a picture of it between my fingers if I didn't have gnarly hands due to working on cars for the past ten years. ;(

No worries! Just crop the photo down a bit to cut out the gnarly bits! :devil: ;-)

chrono

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
One look at the fake look of the stone and you know there's no question that you have a Paraiba tourmaline. The colour literally screams in spite of its size and inclusions. I think you'll get far more pleasure in a gypsy set ring than a pendant. It is also more protected in this type of setting. So envious.... :love:

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
Pendants for men... or better yet "Mendants" are tricky. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I see it as uncharted territory in the world of colored gemstones. I've thought long and hard, and I don't think I could pull one off unless the stone was huge. This particular stone will be set in a ring, where I can see it and get maximum enjoyment from it.

Thanks again for the kind words! You ladies helped make my weekend!

NKOTB

Ideal_Rock
Premium
I love it!! That is probably my most favourite colour on the planet. What a find! :appl: :appl: :appl: :love: :love: Congrats!

I'm digging the setting suggestions (particularly VL's! :lol: )

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
What a ridiculously GORGEOUS color!!!! Did some very poor and fast photoshop for setting inspiration

I personally like the second one for your stone.

_5246.jpg

_5247.jpg

_5248.jpg

kgizo

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That tiny stone is amazing. Love, love, love the color. Looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

wordie89

Brilliant_Rock
Vapid, laughed at the pic ;-) Gregg, it made me look at paraibas yours is such a beauty. I like the tension set band, fwiw

GregS

Brilliant_Rock
wakingdreams53|1365379346|3422251 said:
What a ridiculously GORGEOUS color!!!! Did some very poor and fast photoshop for setting inspiration

I personally like the second one for your stone.
I've been enjoying looking at your mock-up's. 8)

I just sent Daniel M. and Caren the details of how I'd like the ring to be made. I'll post pictures of it when it's done, it's the absolute very least I can do to show my appreciation for the help given.

chel180

Brilliant_Rock
Premium
Wow what a color. can't wait to see what you plan to do with it!

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results