shape
carat
color
clarity

Timing the market, especially for fancy cuts

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

kerimarsha

Rough_Rock
Is this a bad time of year to buy a diamond? I worry that with the flurry of activity around Christmas that prices are higher and most inventory is scattered. If I am looking for a fancy cut, like a flanders or lucere, is there a good time of year to buy? It just seems to me that if you can get a premium for a fancy cut, you should be able to get a higher premium when people are trying to get their hands on a stone in time for a holiday proposal. Any thoughts?

If this may be true, what is a good time of year to buy? When is inventory higher?

Thanks!

cruise182

Rough_Rock
good questiom,

rosy

Shiny_Rock
Date: 11/19/2004 5:14:23 PM
Author:kerimarsha
Is this a bad time of year to buy a diamond? I worry that with the flurry of activity around Christmas that prices are higher and most inventory is scattered. If I am looking for a fancy cut, like a flanders or lucere, is there a good time of year to buy? It just seems to me that if you can get a premium for a fancy cut, you should be able to get a higher premium when people are trying to get their hands on a stone in time for a holiday proposal. Any thoughts?

If this may be true, what is a good time of year to buy? When is inventory higher?

Thanks!
Hi,
I think that sales go up at Christmas due to holiday proposals but I don''t think prices necessarily shoot up. I told a B& M vendor recently that I was waiting until after Christmas to make my ring purchase, round brilliant. He got a little upset & said that his selling prices would increase by 5 % if I waited & said something similar that inventory will be lower. I believe that inventory will be lower because of all the Christmas proposals. I got the impression that he was just sore that I wasn''t planning to buy right away. I am definitely taking my business elsewhere. I''ve never heard anything of there being a good or bad time of year to buy. I would think that prices increase slightly every year, but I don''t know what time of year. My goal was to try & get my ring before the holiday rush but it was for the reason of not wanting it to interfere with all the other stuff that goes on during the Holidays.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results