shape
carat
color
clarity

Timeless, vintage, unique engagement ring

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
I'm helping my friend figure out what type of engagement ring she'd like. Her style is classic, timeless, and fabulous, yet different, trendy, and edgy. She'd like a vintage styled ring with great finger coverage. I know she does not want a MRB solitaire. I was thinking she might like a 3-stone emerald cut, or an asscher with trillion side stones. Any other ideas? Inspirational pictures would be wonderful! What are some great vendors for fancy cut stones? Is there a PS minimum color or clarity recommendation for step cut diamonds?

Reactions: AV_

Snowdrop13

Ideal_Rock
Premium
She needs to get on Instagram! Vendors to follow for inspiration include Jewels by Grace, Parks Fine Group, David Klass and Old World Diamonds.

AV_

Ideal_Rock
A woman with such particular taste might want to choose her ring.

I doubt this forum has made its mind on step cut color grades! www

Last edited:

MRBXXXFVVS1

Brilliant_Rock
A woman with such particular taste might want to choose her ring.

I doubt this forum has made its mind on step cut color grades! www

Yes, we are going to go to some brick and mortar stores to help figure out what she wants (she has no idea other than a vintage look). Hoping to give her some ideas to start exploring! I'm thinking will need to be F and VVS2 (maybe minimum of G and VS1), since with step cuts you can see color and inclusions more, especially with a larger stone?

Reactions: AV_

AV_

Ideal_Rock
@MRBXXXFVVS1 Once upon a time, I was surprised at how preposterously subtle differences between colour grades between D and I are - you might not see any 'colour' unless the stones areloose, face down & next to a bone fide colourless D E reference. I love the idea of D E / SI and would take some sensible amount of fluorescence as a bonus (eg. GIA 'Medium'); I like to see more of it - 'Very Strong Blue' is a show in the colourless range...

IRL, I have met beautiful step cuts in every colour D to Z & beyond; it is my favorite cut model in anything, not only diamonds. It is not worth setting a limit to begin with - if you have the time & inclination, allow the possibility.

-

If I were to buy a step cut for myself today I would be this www & it is not the brightest step cut - I prefer them this way againt gold; so, this is my bias!

diamondsR4eVR

Brilliant_Rock
I was looking at emeralds and really thought I was going to get that instead of RB. I love emeralds with tapered baguettes. This is going to be fun for you and your friend.

OoohShiny

Ideal_Rock
Premium
Octavia? Peruzzi?

Carré?

French?

Hexagon?

Last edited:
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results