shape
carat
color
clarity

Time to take the jump... $5000 budget - all help/suggestions appreciated!!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

MrGreen000

Rough_Rock
I am new to PS and a complete newbie when it comes to diamond-buying but have been lurking around and trying to learn as much as possible the past few weeks - finally feeling like I will be able to make a good decision about the engagement ring for my girlfriend. I am hoping to keep the diamond budget between $4500-5000. Here are some of the specifications that I have been searching for:

Around 1.0-1.1 ctw round ideal cut, H/I (I have heard many people are happy with their Js so I suppose I am not completely ruling that out), eye-clean SI1/2

Originally I assumed that I would have bought the ring from an in-person jewelry store but after being on PS for awhile and looking at prices through online dealers like WF and James Allen, it seems like that could save me some money and work out just as well. I am looking to pop the question in mid-December so the decision will need to be made soon. Here are two links to a couple that I have looked at

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-358388.htm#

http://www.whiteflash.com/round_ideal_cut/Round-Ideal-Cut-cut-diamond-358383.htm#

Any opinions on these two or suggestions on others to look at? This is obviously a big decision/purchase to make. My gf deserves the best possible and from all that Ive read on here, everyone on these forums seem so knowledgeable and willing to help make a good choice. I really appreciate the help and advice! Thank you in advance!

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
Those are both potentially lovely stones! Why don''t you give WF a call and ask them if they are eyeclean?

MrGreen000

Rough_Rock
thank you for the response cinnamon... i will be giving WF a call soon. I am looking to set it as a solitaire so I also want to go to a B&M to see how the I color looks.

Sparkalicious

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2007 8:29:34 PM
Author: MrGreen000

I am looking to set it as a solitaire so I also want to go to a B&M to see how the I color looks.
Good idea, Mr Green. After all, it does come down to personal choice. Some people are more color sensitive than others. If you actually see the diamonds and compare the colors you can make a more educated decision about what is right your you and your girlfriend.

Have fun playing with diamonds!

mimzy

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 11/26/2007 8:29:34 PM

thank you for the response cinnamon... i will be giving WF a call soon. I am looking to set it as a solitaire so I also want to go to a B&M to see how the I color looks.

good idea! just make sure they are GIA ''I''s, and not IGI or even EGL, as there is a good chance there would be a pretty good difference between the two!

cinnamon013

Brilliant_Rock
As others have stated, seeing an "I" stone at a B&M may be much different than an "I" stone that is an AGS0 stone with a tight H&A cut. The better the cut, the less you are going to notice the color.

sera

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/26/2007 11:18:05 PM
Author: cinnamon013
As others have stated, seeing an ''I'' stone at a B&M may be much different than an ''I'' stone that is an AGS0 stone with a tight H&A cut. The better the cut, the less you are going to notice the color.
Yup... they can be very different! When I went into a a couple mall stores and viewed their mediocre cuts, even their H looked yellow. Photos on here of H, I, J, and even some Ks that were bought from trusted PS vendors can look very white because of their excellent cut.

MrGreen000

Rough_Rock
Thank you all very much for the advice and info! Many have been talking about the quality of cut being very important in the look of the rock... would you all say that WF expert selections tend to be of good quality? Obviously the ACA diamonds are a noticeable jump in price.

Are the choices I linked to originally of good dimensions or are there others that you would recommend looking at?

thank you all again!

Jenn5504

Brilliant_Rock
I am just thrilled when I read of a ring shopper discovering PS!!! WF will not sell you an ugly diamond. Not willingly at least!
2.gif
I am thrilled with my AGS000 J SI2 I purchased from them a few months ago. It is hands down prettier and WHITER than my poorly cut H color stone I had before. Both of the stones you''re looking at look great! Give WF a call. They are wonderful!

aljdewey

Ideal_Rock
Date: 11/27/2007 12:18:02 AM
Thank you all very much for the advice and info! Many have been talking about the quality of cut being very important in the look of the rock... would you all say that WF expert selections tend to be of good quality?
Yes, they absolutely are of exceptional quality - I''ve bought several ES stones.

The overwhelming majority of them are top-make stones that just missed ACA designation (possibly because of a little quirk in the pattern, etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results