shape
carat
color
clarity

Time to have the ER made

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

DCnewbie

Rough_Rock
It''s time to have my 2.11ct F/VVSI EC set. This forum has been a great tool in getting ideas. I think I''m looking for a thin (2mm) shank with Pave, with a basket and double claws. Here is a link to a Leon Mege design that I really like, but I don''t think I have the time or budget for him. Plus I have the opportunity to work with a few locals.
http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=193

I have an appointment tomorrow with Jorge Adeler at Adeler Jewelers in Great Falls, VA to talk engagement ring design. I have read and heard nothing but great things about him. Very customer service focused. It is a family run business and he has a great policy. No deposit required and you don''t pay for it if you don''t like it. I talked to him on the phone the other day and he was clear that he is an artist focused on customer service and if he doesn''t get it right, why should you have to pay.
http://www.adelerjewelers.com/

Of course the other option would be Quest. I stopped in the store after work the other day and I was impressed with the friendliness. Pete wasn''t there so I talked to Hap. You all have said nothing but good things about tham. I am gonna meet with Adeler first to see how that goes. Then try to meet with Pete and get an idea of what they can do for me.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 9:35:40 AM
Author:DCnewbie
It''s time to have my 2.11ct F/VVSI EC set. This forum has been a great tool in getting ideas. I think I''m looking for a thin (2mm) shank with Pave, with a basket and double claws. Here is a link to a Leon Mege design that I really like, but I don''t think I have the time or budget for him. Plus I have the opportunity to work with a few locals.
http://www.artofplatinum.com/4images/details.php?image_id=193

I have an appointment tomorrow with Jorge Adeler at Adeler Jewelers in Great Falls, VA to talk engagement ring design. I have read and heard nothing but great things about him. Very customer service focused. It is a family run business and he has a great policy. No deposit required and you don''t pay for it if you don''t like it. I talked to him on the phone the other day and he was clear that he is an artist focused on customer service and if he doesn''t get it right, why should you have to pay.
http://www.adelerjewelers.com/

Of course the other option would be Quest. I stopped in the store after work the other day and I was impressed with the friendliness. Pete wasn''t there so I talked to Hap. You all have said nothing but good things about tham. I am gonna meet with Adeler first to see how that goes. Then try to meet with Pete and get an idea of what they can do for me.
I would go with this company. A policy like that on custom is highly unusual. If you like his work, this is a no brainer to me.

As for Quest, I commissioned them to do a custom setting. I have not done an official review thread, but it did not go well, at all. But I did get a refund, not normally given, because I tried to stop the process before anything was made, but Pete talked me into continuing.

Also, if you search "old fashioned gal", you''ll find another very unhappy customer. And she did not get a refund.

I''m not saying none of their customers have been happy, they have (and in their defense, they did a fantastic job of fixing a ring of mine that another jeweler mangled). I''m just pointing out that not all their customers have. And when you''re talking custom, anything can go wrong. To know that you will not have to pay if you are not happy is BIG.
2.gif

DCnewbie

Rough_Rock
Ellen, I agree with you. I am looking forward to sitting down with Jorge. And you can''t beat a policy like that...the cool thing was on the phone, he was very insistant on his policy. They are a small boutique in Great Falls, VA...for those who don''t live in the DC area, Great Falls is "horse country" right on the Potomac River 20 mins outside of DC so you can imagine, quite affluent. And they are very huge into philanthropy around the community, not that this says anything about their work, but definitely speaks for the kind of family they are. The daughters are GIA Certified gemologists. Just a cool story I think.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
Hi DCNewbie, I just met with Jorge Adeler last week regarding resetting my ering and my wedding band. He does beautiful work, but he is VERY overpriced. His work is as good as Leon''s in my opinion, but he costs at least 50% more than Leon. However, he is a super guy, great artist, and his return policy can''t be beat, so if money isn''t an object, he would be great to work with. The project that I spoke to him about was turning my diamond wedding band into an eternity band. Right now I have a plat band with 12 asscher diamonds channel set, and I wanted to add extra diamonds to go all the way around. He quoted me around $3800 just to add extra diamonds, which was more than it would cost me to buy a whole new asscher eternity band of the same size/quality.

I also had Pete at Quest quote me on the same project I spoke to Jorge about, and his quote was much lower. I know that Quest does beautiful work as well, at a more affordable cost. He quoted me around $1200 for the same project.

Either way, I think they are both great jewelers. I look forward to seeing your finished piece, so please post pics & let us know how your consultations go. Good luck!

DCnewbie

Rough_Rock
Interesting...so his stones cost a lot as well as work itself? I''m not set on working with Jorge, I guess because I am yet to see any of his work in person. That will be tomorrow. And budget is an issue so we''ll see what we come up with. I''ve got a rough, rough quote from both Quest and WF and they are both in the $2500 range. So we''ll see where he comes in at. Thanks for all the help.

vespergirl

Ideal_Rock
The quote he gave me for the wband was higher tham for the ering, but for a plat solitaire reset for my ering his quote was I think around $2500, which was higher than Leon quoted me for something similar.

The other thing that was kind of disappointing about Adeler was that at the store, he didn''t have any erings or wbands to show me. He had tons of beautiful colored stone jewelry, but he didn''t have any finished erings in the shop to show me, because he said that for wedding jewelry he only makes one of a kind pieces that go straight to his clients, so there weren''t any rings for me to look at in person. However, I hear that''s the same deal with Leon in MY - if you go to his studio, you only see pics.

NovemberBride

Brilliant_Rock
I love Jorge Adeler''s work! I am actually originally from Great Falls (my parents still live there). Jorge made my mother''s most recent wedding set - three stone round diamond ring and five stone round brilliant wedding band. She already had the center stone for the three stone and the five smaller diamonds for the five stone, Jorge sourced the side stones for the three stone. At the same time, he custom made a piece that my parents gave me for my law school graduation - It''s a three stone ring - center stone is an emerald cut tanzanite (family heirloom stone) and side stones are emerald cut diamonds (sourced by Jorge). I don''t know much about his pricing since I wasn''t involved in that aspect, but I can vouch for his work. He has some amazing peices in his store. Please let us know what you decide.

DCnewbie

Rough_Rock
I''m a bit bummed now. I guess I need to just go to the meeting and see how it turns out. I figured he would be a bit pricey but not as pricey as some of you are saying. I''ll keep you all posted. I do negotiate large deals for a living so we''ll see if he''ll crack.
emotion-39.gif

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 9:55:01 AM
Author: DCnewbie
Ellen, I agree with you. I am looking forward to sitting down with Jorge. And you can''t beat a policy like that...the cool thing was on the phone, he was very insistant on his policy. They are a small boutique in Great Falls, VA...for those who don''t live in the DC area, Great Falls is ''horse country'' right on the Potomac River 20 mins outside of DC so you can imagine, quite affluent. And they are very huge into philanthropy around the community, not that this says anything about their work, but definitely speaks for the kind of family they are. The daughters are GIA Certified gemologists. Just a cool story I think.
And I bet really it''s a really beautiful area too!

Since you already have your stone, it (the price) may not be quite that bad. Don''t be bummed yet, just see what he says. And see if you can talk him down some. Let him know there are other contenders.
28.gif

As for WF, I think they could do a really good job. If I had known at the time they could do one certain aspect of the original design that I wanted for my Aquamarine (that I didn''t see done from them until after the fact), I would have gone with them instead of Leon. I would not hesitate to go with them. Great customer service as well.

DCnewbie

Rough_Rock
He will definitely know when I''m done that are other options here. Who knows, maybe because the state of the economy, he would cut a break. I''m not going to make a decision until I meet with him and we talk through things. I don''t think any of you would argue with me about the attractiveness of his payment policy. I know there are many praise reports about WF and Quest, but there is a lot more trust needed to put money towards something that you aren''t gonna know exactly how it''s going to turn out. Thanks for everyone''s help and oppionions.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
Date: 2/20/2009 11:15:22 AM
He will definitely know when I''m done that are other options here. Who knows, maybe because the state of the economy, he would cut a break. I''m not going to make a decision until I meet with him and we talk through things. I don''t think any of you would argue with me about the attractiveness of his payment policy. I know there are many praise reports about WF and Quest, but there is a lot more trust needed to put money towards something that you aren''t gonna know exactly how it''s going to turn out. Thanks for everyone''s help and oppionions.
I totally understand!

Do let us know what you decide, and I really want to see this when done.
30.gif

And you''re welcome!

ejv207

Rough_Rock
Hey DC, did u ever end up sending the center stone EC to a lab for grading ? Sounds like u got things under control. Are u gonna keep the two side stones and setting or will you raise cash ?
22.gif

DCnewbie

Rough_Rock
I went to Adeler today and he was great. You can tell he cares about his work and his clients. However, he is super, super pricey. I am looking for a simple 2mm pave shank with a double claw prong basket...he quoted me $4500.

I then went to Pete this afternoon Quest and was a pleasure to work with. We sat and talked for an hour or so, and quoted me $2500 on essentially the same job which includes him sending my stone to GIA for certification and picking up the tab (I got him to throw that in). I told you, I'm a hard sell but I think I'm gonna go with Quest.

I am definitely sold on a 2mm ish shank with pave. I haven't seen to many side view EC solitairs on here so I am struggling with whether or not to go cathedral style or more of a low profile. The thing is, I am looking to be able to have a band flush.

I need your suggestions.

Ellen

Super_Ideal_Rock
I''m glad you''ve found someone to work with! I knew Pete''s quote would be less.

As for settings, at this point I''d make a new thread, and be specific in the title about "EC" and "flush fit" settings. You''ll get more help that way.
28.gif

MissGotRocks

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Date: 2/21/2009 6:17:12 PM
I went to Adeler today and he was great. You can tell he cares about his work and his clients. However, he is super, super pricey. I am looking for a simple 2mm pave shank with a double claw prong basket...he quoted me $4500.

I then went to Pete this afternoon Quest and was a pleasure to work with. We sat and talked for an hour or so, and quoted me $2500 on essentially the same job which includes him sending my stone to GIA for certification and picking up the tab (I got him to throw that in). I told you, I''m a hard sell but I think I''m gonna go with Quest.

I am definitely sold on a 2mm ish shank with pave. I haven''t seen to many side view EC solitairs on here so I am struggling with whether or not to go cathedral style or more of a low profile. The thing is, I am looking to be able to have a band flush.

I need your suggestions.
Wow! If you are quoting those kinds of prices, you can well afford to eat a custom piece or two. I think most custom work is not rejected - it may go back for some more work but probably is not completely rejected. That''s probably a very safe policy for him to have - especially considering the pricing!

Good luck with Quest - please be sure to come back to show us your finished ring!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results