shape
carat
color
clarity

Time to Choose the Diamond

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

indigo

Rough_Rock
I need approx 1ct and want to spend around $3,500.

This one looks pretty good to me at $3,525. Any caution flags here? If anyone has advice or knows of a better deal then I''m listening!

Carat weight: 0.97
Cut: Ideal
Color: J
Clarity: VVS2
Depth %: 60.7%
Table %: 56%
Symmetry: Good
Polish: Excellent
Girdle: Thin to slightly thick, faceted
Culet: None
Fluorescence: Medium blue
Measurements: 6.39x6.46x3.90 mm

Is it ok to go down to J if I get better clarity and cut in exchange? It''ll have saphires on either side, not diamonds.

Is the girdle uneven? I don''t exactly understand "thin to slightly thick". How does that affect anything?

indigo

Rough_Rock
Just for comparison:

Carat 1.02
Color J
Clarity VS2
Regular Price $ 2779
Measurements 6.44X6.47X4.06 mm
Depth Percentage 62.9 %
Table Percentage 54 %
Girdle THN-MED
Culet N
Polish Very Good
Symmetry Very Good
Fluorescence None

This is much cheaper per carat. The clarity isn't as good.... How on earth do you balance all these and come to a conclusion??

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
From what you posted the cut on the second stone may not be as good. You are paying a premium for the VVS grade. Clarity is graded w/ 10x loupe. No one wears a 10x loupe around their diamond. You could easily go to a VS2 or an SI1 in this size. While J color in a well cut stone will face up pretty white, if you go down in clarity, you could come up in color - say to an H/I.

...just a thought. Good luck.

magna2

Shiny_Rock
Indigo,

I would recommend that you go with a H/I color stone in the VS2-SI1 clarity range. You'll find many choices within your budget if you utilize the pricescope search. At the J color range, even novices like us everyday consumers can start to pick up the yellow tinge of the diamond. Not to mention that you would be paying more for the VVS2 clarity that a person can not distinguish from other eye clean stones in the SI1 range.

Best wishes in your search.

rodent.gif

bling

Shiny_Rock
I agree with the others...I used to want a VV-something, but then realized, in a well cut stone, it isnt neccessary. i think it would be good to look in a slightly lower clarity range (Vs2, like the others mentioned)..and higher in color..you may acually be able to go a little higher in size as well! just my thoughts...
naughty.gif
loopy.gif

Mara

Super_Ideal_Rock
Indigo--check out my other post to 'Davis' --he has a similar budget though yours is slightly more.

GOG also has a .94 J SI1 H&A stone for $3200 --I would give Jonathan a call and see what else he has around that range. If the stone is a well-cut J...chances are a regular eye would not pick up a yellowing of color, esp when set AND esp if you have colored stones like sapphires next to the center stone. I think you'd be okay. But be sure the stone is well-cut..a non well-cut J stone may not look as good...and you'd regret it in the end. For some people with sharp eyes..'I' color is as low as they'd go. It's really about preference.

BTW how exactly is that first cut 'ideal'...who says? Get more info like a Sarin report--then run the #'s. The diameter may look a little smaller than a 1c would.

As I also told Davis--I'd suggest putting almost all of your $$ towards the stone, then getting a simple w/g solitaire setting that you can always upgrade later (e.g. around wedding time) so that the stone is what really shines.

Good luck
2.gif

Giangi

Ideal_Rock
Ditto to Fire & Ice and Mara; also I wouldn't call a diamond with good symmetry an ideal cut!

BTW, get an SI 1 in H/I color in the 1ct range instead of a VVS/J stone... It will face up very white and inclusions should not be visible to the naked eye.
1.gif

indigo

Rough_Rock
I actually had the search set to allow for VS2 clarity, but that stone was cheaper than some of the others.
These are the parameters I was using (until I decided to ask about J because there aren't many 1 ct diamonds in my price range that fit all of these requirements)

Color I
clarity VS2
Sym/Polish G/G
depth 58-63
table 53-60
cut VG

Any comments on these?

Also, I understand that some people want a nice diamond and don't care about the ring as much, but the ring is what's important to me. There's also no chance of upgrading before the wedding because it's in March
21.gif

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
Indigo, I seriously would consider a nice SI1 stone. It will save you a good chunk of change with usually *no* visable difference.

A J has every chance of facing up white, especially if you look at something w/ med/strong blue fluor. Is 3.5 k for the ring & the diamond?

If so, you probably will need to go J/SI1 if you want close to a carat. You need to pay attention to cut because the stone will appear to face up whiter & can hide many flaws in clarity. But, to stay within your budget, you probably won't be able to go to the super ideals.

For the most part, Ideal is a loosey goosey term. While in a perfect world, it would be nice to have ex ex in symmetry & polish; but, a good/good will certainly be fine. Also, focus on the mm measurements of the stone. Higher Depth % & closer to thick girdle will take some carat weight away from the actual face up "size" of the stone.

I looked on Dirtcheapdiamonds.com. They have a "very best" cut:
1c J/SI1 (GIA) ex/ex D 60.4 T: 58 $3397.00

But - check out "very good" cut:
1.02 J/VS2 (GIA) vg/vg D:59.6 T: 58 This one has great spread & Medium Blue Fluor which will help the stone face up whiter.

These stones may be good alternatives for you. They won't be the finest of makes; but, have a good chance of being quite nice.

Just some options. Welcome for others to post some stones. Please keep in mind I have not seen any of these stones. This is just for exploration.

Again, good luck.

fire&ice

Ideal_Rock
----------------
On 10/1/2003 2:32:57 PM fire&ice wrote:

1.02 J/VS2 (GIA) vg/vg D:59.6 T: 58 This one has great spread & Medium Blue Fluor which will help the stone face up whiter.

Welcome for others to post some stones. ----------------

Actually, I looked on Pricescope. A few other vendors have this stone listed including Whiteflash.

Also listed on PS are a few other stones w/ med blue fluor. I would do a search for I/J VS2/SI1. Find a few w/ good proportions, fluor a plus & vg symmetry & start to call & speak the speak.

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results