shape
carat
color
clarity

Time for some brain pickin''...Adventure Proposals

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.

Leviclimber

Rough_Rock
I know...sounds like another lame (or exciting...I know some people really love their TV) reality show from the title, but it is not...read on.

My gf and i are both very adventurous people. She is a scuba instructor while in college, and I also scuba dive. Also, when we started dating I taught her to rock climb, and now this is our favorite couples activity (we have actually never been diving together...she likes the tropics, while I am a drysuit NE diver...not that the tropics are bad; I just can''t afford them yet). I am also into cycling and mtn biking, and trying to get her into these activities (one step at a time, but it worked with climbing!). The point is that we are both avid outdoors people and some of our fondest memories are from outdoors fun. I will be proposing this summer, and I wanted it to be the most incredible proposal imagineable. I don''t want to do it while skydiving or anything as far out as that, but I did want to incorporate an adventurous element. As far as I am concerned, the entire day will build up to the proposal, but I am looking for more ideas about how to fill the day, and how to make the proposal absolutely everything a girl could want...so...

Everyone, tell me about your adventurous proposals (i read a cool one about a backcountry canoe trip somewhere on the forum), or one that you heard of (maybe a friend''s or relative''s).

and

Ladies...tell me all the necessary components to the perfect proposal...the kind that would absolutely melt you into a puddle!

In advance, thanks everyone! I suspect others will find this to be a useful thread as well.

Leviclimber

Rough_Rock
I am overwhelmed by the response...

c''mon people, I see you are reading the post! Scribble down whatever your imagination conjures up!

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
I can''t help you with adventurous ideas, I am so not an outdoorsy person, but I can offer a few suggestions about the proposal.

It might be a good idea to have a solid, sturdy backpack or beltpack and have the ring securely inside. Maybe with some good tape? You wouldn''t want to ruin the surprise if you open your backpack and a ring box is visible or falls out.

Also, whatever activities you decide upon, you may want to consider if the activities would cause your g/f''s hands/fingers to swell slightly. You may want to get a slightly larger ring size for her so that it will fit when you propose. Either that, or avoid activities that cause slight/temporary ring finger size changes.

Maybe avoid activites that could "severely rough up" your g/f''s hands. She will probably be asked many times to show her e-ring (and hand
2.gif
) to people. It would probably be nice if she didn''t have bloody gashes/cuts or bruises on her newly crowned hand.

One last idea. It would probably be a good idea to avoid anything that would get your g/f''s hands extremely dirty or muddy without her being able to wash them. Dirt on the hands would get on the brand new, sparkly, beautiful ring. Maybe you could pack extra water bottles and a washcloth so that if you think this may happen, then she would be able to wash her hands before wearing the ring.

Hiking and seeing sunrises or sunsets are very romantic.
Maybe an outdoor scavenger hunt that your friends could help you with would work. Do it like Amazing Race, where she would have to do an activity, like bike to a certain location to get her next clue. Then she would have to dig or swim or something to get the next clue, etc., etc. You could pretend that your friends made up the challenge for the both of you to do together. Then propose to her at the final destination?

Sorry if this isn''t much help
7.gif
I really don''t know a single person who has had an adventurous proposal. Best of luck!! It''s an awesome idea!

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
Leviclimber,

I think maybe you have to narrow down the parameters a bit, or maybe give some more info as to what you can do. Is anywhere in the world okay? Does it have to cost under four figures? Etc...

That being said, one outdoor idea that I personally think is romantic would be to propose while on top of Half Dome in Yosemite. While vacationing in Yosemite National Park, you can stay at the Ahwahnee Inn.

Now, to help everyone out, how does that sound?

Shay

Shiny_Rock
I suggest that you take her for a high rock climb. Meanwhile your friends will have set up a lovely scene at the top... picnic, candles, flowers, whatever floats your boat. They can then make themselves scarce. make sure you get to the top first and then be waiting on bended knee when she gets there.

The water and cloth is a nice idea to clean her hand after the ring is on, Im sure she wont care if it gets dirty.

OR

Put the ring into a clam or sea shell. take her diving and when at the bottom of the sea show her the shell. Open it up and show her the ring. have 2 pieces of laminated paper... one with ''yes'' and the other with ''no'' printed on them. Motion her to pick one. have a fancy dinner reservation ready for once you surface so you can then say all the romantic things you couldnt while underwater.

OR

Take her horseback riding on the beach. Have a friend write the proposal in the sand and surround it with candles (in glass windproof holders) so she is sure to see it. Dismount and get on one knee.

K that''s all I got. Good luck!
36.gif

bopitaddict

Shiny_Rock
yeahthat.gif

wow... very great suggestions shay.
bowdown.gif

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
If you decide to do something underwater, please
1.gif
be REALLY careful with the ring. Maybe tie it to a string and tie the other end of the string around your wrist. Even if you propose underwater, you should probably keep the ring tied to your wrist until you are safely on land. Take no chances!!!

Here''s a link to an underwater proposal that I read about a long time ago.
https://www.pricescope.com/community/threads/i-am-soooo-excited.10797/=
Everything worked out fine, but later when she thought about what could have happened if the ring had accidentally slipped in the excitement of the moment. Her ring could have been lost forever.

Oh, I meant to mention one other thing earlier. You wrote "As far as I am concerned, the entire day will build up to the proposal, but I am looking for more ideas about how to fill the day, and how to make the proposal absolutely everything a girl could want" Just one thought... One of the best parts of getting engaged for some girls is the afterglow after being proposed to. You could probably propose a little earlier in the day, and still have some plans for later on that night. You both can bask in being newly engaged.

GETanEDGE

Rough_Rock

I think the Half Dome idea would be awesome. My GF and I actually hiked it this last August and I would have loved to pop the question up there, but unfortunately I wasn''t prepared. Only problem with this is that it''s a pretty grueling hike. It''s probably close to 19 miles round trip and around a 5,000 foot elevation gain to the top. Her fingers WILL be swollen when she gets to the top, both of you will be incredibly sweaty and smelly, you''ll probably be exhausted, but you''ll experience one of the most magnificent views in the entire world! Truly exhilarating. This would have been my #1 way to propose, but there''s no way I''ll be getting back to hike it again any time soon. It''s actually quite large when you get to the top of the Dome too. I would be very easy to find a spot to yourselves where you could be alone and pop the question. If you were really crazy you could get down on one knee on top of Diving Board rock. Just make sure you have someone with a camera ready to take a picture of the two of you.

I think the cables are only up from April to Sept? So you have to go during that timeframe. There''s actually a backpackers campground half-way so you can do the hike in two days if you want. Personally I found it much more rewarding doing it all in one day. Just make sure you start your hike between 4 and 5 am or else you''ll be hiking back home in the dark. I''d also suggest bringing 4-5 liters of water...you''ll need it! Also, if you did pop the question at the top, make sure and have her take the ring off before she heads down the cables, or else she''ll completely ruin her ring on them.

Good luck!!! Let us know what you decide.

Leviclimber

Rough_Rock
Hey folks,

Thanks a bunch for the awesome responses! Sorry for not responding a little more promptly, but school and gf (unknowingly) forced me to take a break from PS for a few days...

Buena Girl - Your suggestions are awesome...I would not have thought of using tape to secure the ring box inside the pack, but this is definitely the perfect way to keep it out of site (just above the zipper; no-one looks there!). Whatever happens, it is also good counsel to have the ring sized slightly larger. Any physical activity will get the blood pumping, and I am sure that will cause her fingers to swell. I would not have thought of that! How much larger would you suggest? a half size? a whole size? Pretty much all B&M''s offer free resizing (if I buy the setting from them, which I probably will), so I can get that fixed afterward. I really like the washing hands idea! We will both need to do so!

Websailor - Thank you for helping me think about that old favorite priority, money...hmmm....money have I none. I am a graduate student, and so at the moment, money is somewhat of an issue; however, I have budgeted low 3 figures (not a fixed # yet) for the proposal. Anywhere in the world is, unfortunately, not an option. Furthermore, we both come from ''old-fashioned'' families, and to avoid any family issues, it is not appropriate for this to be a weekend getaway for just the two of us. If this information sparks your imagination, please post some more ideas!

Shay - I absolutely love the picnic at the top of the cliff idea! That is really awesome! The other suggestions are great as well, and I hope that others will find them useful. I am leaning in cliff direction at the moment, but am still looking for more feedback. ''Off the wall'' ideas are welcome!

Bop it - Yup

Buena Girl - Again, wise counsel! That engagement story was really cute. I really want to propose around sunset, so hopefully this gives her enough time to bask in the afterglow...I am sure it will be a late night!

GETanEDGE - Very cool advice! Thanks for the specifics too, but I live all the way across the nation, and don''t, at this point, have the funds for that kind of travel. I will definitely post the story and perhaps some pictures after it happens!

EVERYONE ELSE...as usual, I wanna hear more! I know, I am very demanding...but lets face it, we are all similar in that regard...PS is about education, and sharing knowledge. I look forward to hearing some more of yours!

Cheers, LC

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
How about this.....

Find an old treasure type chest. >>.

Take to a very calm calm calm scuba area.. I think you could probably set this up with a prof. dive shop. But then again, since you are a prof, you will know exactly who to deal with\. Miracuously find this ''treasure chest'' while diving... I wonder what''s inside? You could play the slight of hand, or have the ring in side the chest inside a chest inside a chest. What is better then treasure.. A proposal from the man who found the treasure for you. Perhaps you should do this in the Springs or some freshwater, sinkhole/cave dive.. but that is such a suggestion. If you could pull it off and make it safe.... it could be really cool.

Good luck!

GETanEDGE

Rough_Rock
MINE!! That sounds like an incredible idea!!!
You guys could find the sunken treasure chest, or box or whatever and bring it back to shore and open it.
That would blow her off her feet!

Leviclimber

Rough_Rock
MINE! - That idea is awesome! WOW! There are many nearby freshwater divesites where this could be done, including Dutch Springs (http://www.dutchsprings.com/) which although it is merely an old portland cement quarry (and therefore sounds boring) is really a great place for those without time to travel too far on the weekends. Alternatively, there is the Atlantic Ocean, but conditions there may be a bit more finnicky. I am definitely keeping this suggestion high on the list though!

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
GOOD LUCK AND KEEP US POSTED!!!!!

Buena Girl

Brilliant_Rock
Date: 3/16/2005 12:17:28 PM
Author: GETanEDGE
MINE!! That sounds like an incredible idea!!!
You guys could find the sunken treasure chest, or box or whatever and bring it back to shore and open it.
That would blow her off her feet!
emthup.gif
I completely agree!!! I like the idea from MINE!! the best
36.gif

websailor

Brilliant_Rock
A variation of the same idea is burying the treasure chest in the sand on the beach. You''ve scouted the location out ahead of time, so you put you blanket down on top of it. (Or if your friends can keep watch, you only partially bury it).

The setting I''m thinking of here is Block Island, or perhaps Cape Cod...or whatever a close but romantic beach might be. At BI you would take the ferry there, stay in a B&B and bike around the island to your spot.

I''m thinking of the logistics of 1) when she sees the ring and wants to scream OHMYGOD! - hard to do with a regulator in your mouth and 2) schlepping all the gear back to the car/boat when all she wants to do is hug you and then going off to a dinner.

Less encumbered might be better. Let me say that you know your GF best, so maybe this isn''t much of a consideration.

You said you were both climbers....did that have something to do with you getting together? Could the ring be secreted on the face of a favorite/special rock wall? Since you would know where it was, you could guide the two of you there by picking the right route. Voila, look at this my lovely GF!

At the top are your friends with the champagne, etc.

sparklish

Shiny_Rock
Could the ring be secreted on the face of a favorite/special rock wall?

I like that idea. Brings whole new meaning to "rock" climbing!

MissAva

Ideal_Rock
These are all so cute, its making em wish I got up off my but a bit more often. What about a small day hike early in the morning (ie sunrise to say 9am) and then getting a place where you can see the sky and getting a sky writer to do it. That way you could have a great early morning and spend the rest of the day doing sweet things for her. Have you talked to her parents yet? You said ya''ll were traditonal that is why I ask. They may have some good ideas of what she would like, and what she really wouldnt.
PS You get bonus points for bringing a cell to call whomever she likes.

PPS A girl here at school got engaged in a cute way. Her BF knew what she wanted (she all but drew a map of the store for him) and made her a "bridezilla book". He went all out pictures of dress, cakes ,reception sites and all orgnized and in a binder the last section was rings and all the pcitures in this section were of her ring. Side shots, profiles there were about 15 or so. WHen she got to that part he figured she would get all excited but she didnt catch on until he got down on one knee. Now she has a very tangible reminder of how they got engaged and he got one of her neighbors (apt) to come and take a few pictures so she would remember. Cute but not very adventure oriented. Anyway good luck!

Leviclimber

Rough_Rock
Dear PSers-

As always, you are all great.

Mine! - I will most certainly post the stories and perhaps a picture or two when all is said and done. As I have lived vicariously on the other PS postings, in turn I would not cheat readers (and especially those who are so nice to help me) of a good and unique story with a happy ending.

Websailor - As always, I very much appreciate your carefully tempered advice and fascinating suggestions. These have gained the top of my list, and will no doubt be incorporated into the final ''idea''.

Matatora - I really like the scrapbook idea! I am going to commit to that one as part of the event, because memories are so important, and also because the effort will mean a lot to both her and me. I have many many unsorted pictures to fill this book with. It will give me the opportunity/excuse to organize them.

Everyone else, as always, keep the suggestions coming!

snuga

Brilliant_Rock
I have to say the I like MINE!!''s suggestion the best. I think that it''s romantic and sweet.

As far as the actual proposal goes, just make sure that you speak from your heart. I knew three guys that tried to memorize certain things they wanted to say in the proposal and they all ended up being disappointed with themselves because they forgot something and got caught up in the words and not the moment.

No matter what you end up doing, I''m sure she''ll be so excited and think the world of your proposal!

Leviclimber

Rough_Rock
Hi Kalispera,
Thanks for your kind advice! I am getting down to the finish line here, and that is the sort of advice I need.

Everyone else,
I am still entertaining several different ideas on the proposal, and would love to hear some other adventurous ideas.

Thanks all,
L

Islandia

Rough_Rock
You''ve gotten a lot of wonderful ideas so I will just add a little something to it take as you will. Since you are a rock climber as well, there is such a rush of exhiliration when you just finish a climb and you are being lowered down. You are totally relaxed and not thinking of anything really. Have you considered maybe when her belayer has her a few feet off the ground proposing while she is suspended there? Probably a dumb idea but I know that would be when I would least expect something like that.

MINE!!

Ideal_Rock
Hey Leviclimber.... You have any updates? very excited for you here.!

Status
Not open for further replies. Please create a new topic or request for this thread to be opened.
Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results