shape
carat
color
clarity

Time for another update thread!

vintagelover229

Ideal_Rock
Premium
We've had some movement on the LIW list (congratulations to those all newly engaged!) and I figured since it's JULY already we should do another update post :)

I hope everyone's summer has been going well and I hope that no one is suffering to much from LIW feelings :)

Things have been crazy busy this past week for us (which is unusual that we've gone out and it not being a family related event) and it's been great. My gf from Cali was in MI visiting family and we drove from the GTA to Windsor to meet her for lunch (it was ~4 hr drive for us both to meet up) and we haven't seen each other in 3 years and she's engaged (ring is beautiful! Custom made platinum princess FLY halo .97 carats with pave on the sides) I don't have a photo but she wouldn't want me to post it anyways bc she is very particular about those sorts of things ::) So my bf took the day off work to drive there and meet her and I got to wear my ring (bc I won't be able to attend her wedding due to immigration stuff and I wasn't sure when she'd get to see mine) so we had fun looking at eachothers ring and catching up.

My dad flew up the next day and spent the weekend with us. We hit up Niagara falls and did a wine tour (and joined a wine club, SO excited about that) and then hit ribfest on Sunday with his folks. That was their first meeting and it went well :praise: Monday we brought dad to the airport and dropped him off. I got in the front seat and my SO jumped out of the car, running towards the airport where my dad was. When he got back to the car I gave him the :shock: look and asked him what that was all about. He got this 8-) look on his face and said "well I didn't have a chance to be alone with your dad bc you were always around" :)) :bigsmile: :appl:

He asked permission! The engagement will be VERY short (like probably 8 weeks or less) and we have a camping trip at the end of the month and so I'm not sure when he's going to do it (before or right after) but I'm very excited! I've had 2 dresses for a while (short and a long one, both vintage) and so we are ready to go when it's on my finger.

So how about you ladies? Any updates? If not how has your summer gone and have you done anything fun?

DUST to everyone :appl:

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
I was just thinking about starting an update thread! It sounds like you have been having a great summer! I hope to be removing you from the list soon and it sounds like I will. I have a feeling your BF will do it before your camping trip. ~~~~~DUST~~~~~

As for me, things are still going slowly with BF and I. Emotionally we are both doing much better. We spend every weekend with BF's brother's FI (who we now refer to as his sister) and his nieces. It's really great to be around them and I think that has really helped us all. So, that is definitely a good thing.

I still haven't found a job :( but I'm still applying for jobs week to week and I know many first year teachers get hired right before school starts. That stresses me out, but I would rather have a job than not. If I don't find anything, I will just substitute teach until I find something. That way I can get my name out a little more and gain some more experience. The only downside to subbing is that I won't have a steady income and therefore, we won't be able to get the house. We may move into BF's sister's house for a while to help her out with the bills, but I'm not really sure yet. This is something we only recently started discussing and I'm sure we won't make a decision on that until we are sure that we can't get the house we want.

On the engagement front, things are still really up in the air. We have lowered our budget to be more within our means. BF wants to put some of it on his credit card for the points, but he is worried that having something on credit will hurt our chances for a mortgage. I've told him that the size of the ring does not matter to me and that we can lower our budget as much as need be. I even told him just last night that I have picked out a variety of diamonds in a wide variety of budgets so that when he asks, I'm prepared to show him what I want and no matter what budget he picks, I will have a great diamond that is within it. ;-) Can you tell my LIW-itis has been flaring up? I want him to do it NOW, but who knows?!

AdanaEsq

Shiny_Rock
Not much to update on here. My job is really crazy lately. K and I are heading to Cape Cod for the weekend to celebrate our 2 year dating anniversary. We're heading to Las Vegas next month and he's planning to book the trip to Hawaii for my 30th birthday (in November). I'm hoping he proposes while we're in Hawaii (or before) but I'm not sure so I don't want to get my hopes up.

4th of July weekend we went to Tiffany again and I tried on the Soleste and we settled on a 1+ carat center. I tried on one that was .73 and he thought it look too small on me. I tried on a huge 2 carat one that was 95K. Gorgeous but way too big on me and way too much $$. We both liked the 1.18 E VS1 that I tried on. I don't love the price tag but he seems to think it's reasonable and I can't argue with him about it since he loves to say "well it's my money so I can spend it that way and I think you're worth it".

We also had discussed doing pre-engagement counseling awhile ago. He told me that would like to start it in mid-September which makes me think that he really is planning to propose in Hawaii. He even asked me to set up brunch with my dad which we had back in June and he said he wants to ask my dad for permission so he wanted to have us all together for that initial meeting. I guess he may contact my dad to set up something else in the future.

So far, I feel really calm about everything and haven't had any pre-e freakout or meltdowns *knocks on wood*.

captainmcgee

Shiny_Rock
Not much of an update for me. We have a mini break coming up in 2 weeks and in the back of my mind I keep thinking it is the perfect time but it definitely won't happen because he hasn't asked my dad's permission. He says he needs to do that first and he wants to do it in person and they haven't spent anytime together alone recently.

I am hoping that it might be before or on our trip in september/oct but I am not sure. I just cannot tell but I am focusing on getting my health and wellbeing on track and get myself together and hopefully the time will fly by.

Interestingly though my dad has been discussing budgets and I noticed on his budgeting sheet he had down wedding $x. I was think hmmm that is odd but who knows he probably just thinks it's on the cards because you'd be silly not to notice :)

Hope there is some movement soon girls! I am at #29, hoping that it might happen before I crack top 20.

kateydid05

Shiny_Rock
No real updates for me. Finishing my master's in 38 days (who's counting? haha) and then we're going on vacation to the Outer Banks for a week with the majority of our group of friends. In the back of my mind I am hoping for a beach proposal there, as it is one of my favorite places to be, but I highly doubt it with his financial situation. So who knows! Right now I'm just focused on finishing school and my comprehensive exams. I have a lot to keep my mind busy!! :bigsmile:

UnluckyTwin

Shiny_Rock
Technically I am not a LIW, since I removed myself from the list 3 months ago after being on it for over a year. SO and I went through a really really bad time and split. We were broken up for about a month, and within that month still spent a lot of time talking about what went wrong and if we could fix it. For the last 2 months, we've been what we consider "back together," but still spent time living apart because we thought it best to take things slow and really heal the relationship. I'm happy to report that yesterday he moved back in and we have not had any fights in the last 2 months. I'm not ready to go back on the list, but I just wanted to share this update since I am extremely happy about it!

sjm

Rough_Rock
Time is flying by so quickly!
I graduate from my Masters in 13 days (kateydid05 I am counting with you!!) and start a contract position a week later! I am very excited about it and am hopeful that the contract will lead to another contract which will eventually become permanent. BF just made a very large move selling some equiptment that is no longer of use to him as he is changing his work/studies soon. I know he did this with me in mind and to move along the process of starting our future together and I know it was a very big deal for him so that is exciting!
I initially introduced myself as an early-stages LIW and am so excited to be in a place where we know we are going to get married and spend our lives together and are just beginning to plan out a vague idea of what that looks like. BF told me that he would marry me tomorrow if I would say yes but we both know that a few of our ducks need to be a bit better lined up before we can move forward! So Happy!

dandyandi

Rough_Rock
Love hearing about how everybody is doing! All the recent movement was really exciting :love: :love:

Not much going on here! I'll be done with my masters in 2 days!! Very excited, as it's been a lot of work and I just want to be done with it (Counting down with everybody else :appl: ) Then I will be spending the summer patiently waiting to hear back from schools and hopefully land a teaching job. I feel like I've applied to so many open positions already, but being a first year teacher, I likely won't hear back until right before the school year starts (or even after the school year starts!) so I just have to be patient :sick:

In terms of my LIW status, not much has changed... we are happily swimming along as usual... the bf has been putting aside money to save up for a ring and other wedding expenses, but I know that we both want to wait until I have a full time job and have been saving up for a year or two as well (he's currently employed, while I'm just finishing up school) before taking the marriage step.

He loves to tease, and keeps making comments like "I'll have enough to propose at the end of this year", and I always brush it aside, but I honestly can't tell how serious he is being! Even though he'll have enough, would he want to spend it all on a ring, or continue saving? Or if he did buy the ring, would he hold onto it until I am more financially stable? Or is he just saying that to tease? We both agreed it would be better for both of us to have stable, full-time jobs (meaning I need to land a teaching job) before getting married, but technically he could propose whenever he is ready and we could have the engagement be as long as needed until we're ready for marriage... :errrr: Haha, I could drive myself crazy asking myself all those questions... but in reality, I am so happy about where we are right now. We're both happy with our respective lives, and with each other. I try not to talk about getting engaged too much, even though we're both really excited to get to that step. He seems to have the same mindset of many guys: that if I'm talking about it, it's on my mind, and therefore if he proposes it won't be a surprise... some weird man-logic, but I dunno... I guess I need to play along and pretend like I'm not thinking about getting engaged, and he'll think I've forgotten about it... and be able to surprise me? I now try to limit my comments about rings, engagement, marriage, etc. to PS or during girltalk. :praise:

I know we'll be together, and we're anxious to get started on the "next step". Just gotta keep reality in mind and remember that we're really close but not quite ready yet :rolleyes:

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Vintagelover, how exciting that you know a proposal is coming so soon!! i know one is coming soon-ish but it could be this month or it could be october for all i know...tell me, are you obsessively trying to keep your nails 'nice' like i am? :bigsmile:

Mayflowers, im so sorry things have turned out like this, its such a hard situation but it sounds like you're handling it as well as could be.

As for me, the ring is here, i havent seen it, and im starting to lose my mind (and lose sleep) over the whole business ;( how annoying that the liw-itis has finally hit me bad...

Im really hoping by the end of August, that seems like a reasonable amount of time for me to manage :bigsmile:

Oh and do you know what i did? i used a magic eraser to try and get hair dye off my skin (seemed like a good idea at the time) and now i have chemical burns :rolleyes: sometimes i wonder how i get through the day...

delta_loves_alpha

Rough_Rock
A HUGE congrats to kateydid05, sjm, and dandyandi on being SO close to finishing your masters!!! I'm 134 days away from finishing mine (definitely not counting :bigsmile: )

BF and I were laying on the couch the other night after a long day of work, and he was playing around with his phone and brought up his email – he then proceeded to close it rather quickly but not before I caught a glimpse of a price quote from Leon Mege!!!!!! Eeek! So needless to say I'm a bit excited.

captainmcgee

Shiny_Rock
Blackpaw, I know exactly how you feel. I had hope for our trip so thinking before the end of october but then the other night SO pretty much ruled that out by saying that we he may have to cut the trip short due to work commitments :( Doesn't sound like the romantic holiday I had imagined :( I am struggling. I mean I must had admit when I look back (almost) 8 months have gone quite quickly but everyday is sooo difficult to get through :(

Delta - that is sooo exciting!! Hope that everything starts moving forward for you soon!

Mayflower- I can only imagine what I tough time you and your SO must be having. I hope that everything works out how you hope.

To all you other LIW, just keep chatting on here (it gets me through) and your proposal will be here before you know it.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
mif_|1310689144|2969237 said:
Blackpaw, I know exactly how you feel. I had hope for our trip so thinking before the end of october but then the other night SO pretty much ruled that out by saying that we he may have to cut the trip short due to work commitments :( Doesn't sound like the romantic holiday I had imagined :( I am struggling. I mean I must had admit when I look back (almost) 8 months have gone quite quickly but everyday is sooo difficult to get through :(

Delta - that is sooo exciting!! Hope that everything starts moving forward for you soon!

Mayflower- I can only imagine what I tough time you and your SO must be having. I hope that everything works out how you hope.

To all you other LIW, just keep chatting on here (it gets me through) and your proposal will be here before you know it.

Dont worry, Mif, he might be trying to put you off, i think they do that!! do you guys have the ring already, or a timeline?

you're right about the time going quickly (we started the ring search in January) but i think its gotten harder....we didnt have the ring really finalised until May, and that whole time i was absolutely ok with it, didnt even think about it much - then i was accidentally there (my SO and I work for the same company) when the blasted fedex package arrive and since then its been doing my head in :bigsmile: im trying to think of it as manageable blocks of time, hence why by the end of august would be nice - that way i can think "well next weekend it could happen, but if it doesnt thats ok, then the weekend after we're doing this, then it could happen the two weeks after that, then its my birthday so that probably wouldnt be it..." yep ive finally lost it :sick:

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
Thanks Blackpaw and mif_ for the support! I'm trying to just go with the flow of things for now. I know that eventually BF will ask and as much as I want it to be right now, I know whenever he chooses to ask it will be the right time.

mif- I know it is so hard waiting. I really think your BF is trying to throw you off and I know you have been waiting with the ring for a while now. Has he specifically said he wants to propose on a special date or event? Or do you think he would propose at any regular time, like just hanging out at home or having dinner? I'm going to send you some special dust that it happens soon! ~~~~~~~DUST~~~~~~~

dandyandi- I understand what you mean about talking about engagement all the time. BF actually requested once a while ago that I stop talking about it so that it can be a surprise. Little does he know that even if I don't talk about it, I still think about it all the time! :)

Congrats to everyone working on and finishing their master's!

captainmcgee

Shiny_Rock
Blackpaw|1310739999|2969616 said:

Dont worry, Mif, he might be trying to put you off, i think they do that!! do you guys have the ring already, or a timeline?

you're right about the time going quickly (we started the ring search in January) but i think its gotten harder....we didnt have the ring really finalised until May, and that whole time i was absolutely ok with it, didnt even think about it much - then i was accidentally there (my SO and I work for the same company) when the blasted fedex package arrive and since then its been doing my head in :bigsmile: im trying to think of it as manageable blocks of time, hence why by the end of august would be nice - that way i can think "well next weekend it could happen, but if it doesnt thats ok, then the weekend after we're doing this, then it could happen the two weeks after that, then its my birthday so that probably wouldnt be it..." yep ive finally lost it :sick:

Blackpaw, we have had the ring for 8 months. No time line at all which is difficult to understand.

We are going on a mini holiday in 2 weeks and he said he has organised a spa day for us but that's just because we have been working really hard. I really wish that it was "it" but I know it's not because he is particularly busy with his job (it is unusual his work) and he wouldn't just propose out of the blue. It is definitely not something he would even consider. He can't even decide what to have for dinner cause he is so focused. I can't even imagine him trying to organise a proposal unless we were holidaying.

Yeh I do timeblocks too. I am struggling grrr!!!

captainmcgee

Shiny_Rock
MayFlowers|1310757427|2969854 said:
Thanks Blackpaw and mif_ for the support! I'm trying to just go with the flow of things for now. I know that eventually BF will ask and as much as I want it to be right now, I know whenever he chooses to ask it will be the right time.

mif- I know it is so hard waiting. I really think your BF is trying to throw you off and I know you have been waiting with the ring for a while now. Has he specifically said he wants to propose on a special date or event? Or do you think he would propose at any regular time, like just hanging out at home or having dinner? I'm going to send you some special dust that it happens soon! ~~~~~~~DUST~~~~~~~

dandyandi- I understand what you mean about talking about engagement all the time. BF actually requested once a while ago that I stop talking about it so that it can be a surprise. Little does he know that even if I don't talk about it, I still think about it all the time! :)

Congrats to everyone working on and finishing their master's!

MayFlower, unfortunately (I mention why above) he wouldn't propose at a regular time because of work and he definitely hasn't asked my dad's permission yet. I just am struggling to ever imagine it happening. He has 8 months to consider a proposal it better be a damn good one when it actually (if it ever does) happen :(

Thank you so much for the dust I neeed it.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
mif_|1310802136|2970279 said:
Blackpaw|1310739999|2969616 said:

Blackpaw, we have had the ring for 8 months. No time line at all which is difficult to understand.

We are going on a mini holiday in 2 weeks and he said he has organised a spa day for us but that's just because we have been working really hard. I really wish that it was "it" but I know it's not because he is particularly busy with his job (it is unusual his work) and he wouldn't just propose out of the blue. It is definitely not something he would even consider. He can't even decide what to have for dinner cause he is so focused. I can't even imagine him trying to organise a proposal unless we were holidaying.

Yeh I do timeblocks too. I am struggling grrr!!!

OMG, Mif, 8 months? :-o WTF! i dont know how you're doing it, im losing it already...this week has been bad i think and im not sure why, but ive been really irritable and stressed over the whole thing, nightmares and everything :nono: i need to take a step back somehow but cant seem to get my head around it. Mif i know what you mean about 'knowing' it isnt going to happen at a certain time (because you know your SO enough to know i guess) but not being able to stop yourself getting your hopes up...

sigh, thats all i can say! ill keep my fingers crossed for your mini-break though coz you never know =)

captainmcgee

Shiny_Rock
Thanks blackpaw. I am not sure how I have gotten through 8 months. I must admit it has gone quicker than I imagined but I am really hating the wait. My SO said something interesting to me the other day about how he hates waiting (I felt like saying, imagine how I feel) but it also made me think well if he really was ready he would find any excuse. I hate to doubt him but I just feel like why is he waiting. I mean he has every reason due to his job and I know he would want to try and make it special but still 8 months. I know he is really stressed and anxious about his job at the moment so I cannot imagine it would even be crossing his mind but I can always have a little hope.

Do you ladies think so that I don't ruin the weekend I should just do a quick feel around of where I know it is hidden so that I will know definitely that it is not happening?

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
hmmm, tricky question...we really really should resist the urge to snoop (though it is ridiculously strong for me too right now)...because if it wasnt there when you looked you could ruin the surprise he's worked hard to plan, or he could just have moved it and you'll be doubly disappointed. So i guess im saying DONT DO IT!!! can i follow my own advice? so far yes but its SO hard 8)

maybe you should just have in your head a point that for you is too long and if it gets to that point then you'll say you need a timeline and you need to know its a matter of planning not a matter of being ready? maybe after this weekend away if it doesnt happen? not that you need to know when exactly but just that it will be by X date...

i have a vague timeline in that i know it will be this year and im still going nuts :twirl:

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
hmmm, tricky question...we really really should resist the urge to snoop (though it is ridiculously strong for me too right now)...because if it wasnt there when you looked you could ruin the surprise he's worked hard to plan, or he could just have moved it and you'll be doubly disappointed. So i guess im saying DONT DO IT!!! can i follow my own advice? so far yes but its SO hard 8)

maybe you should just have in your head a point that for you is too long and if it gets to that point then you'll say you need a timeline and you need to know its a matter of planning not a matter of being ready? maybe after this weekend away if it doesnt happen? not that you need to know when exactly but just that it will be by X date...

i have a vague timeline in that i know it will be this year and im still going nuts :twirl:

maebelle

Brilliant_Rock
Talk about inadvertent snooping: I was out without the SO yesterday. One of his friends was a little tipsy and drove with other friends. When I suggested to the other friends I could totally take him home if they wanted to leave the guy said "There is no way we are leaving you two together, alone, with him in this state, who knows what he'll tell you!" This was directly after a comment about how said drunk friend has no idea what my last name is (I've got SO's name in his phone)

And because SO has been so incredibly busy, that is the only update I have. It's creeping closer to October, when there is a golden opportunity to do it, and while I think it might happen I'm not getting my hopes up (or trying not to).

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
A lot has happened in my life recently. I was diagnosed with CKD, resigned (life is too short to do something you hate 70 hours a week), and I have been sending out my resume. I will hear whether I got a job that I really want next week, so I could use some dust if any ladies can spare some.
As for a proposal, I'm not anxious about it. I know it will happen when it's meant to. He has been bringing it up a lot more recently, so it might happen soon. I'm more focused on my health and career at the moment.

wakingdreams53

Brilliant_Rock
DUST to all the ladies "patiently" waiting :))
Kribbie, blessings and *dust* towards your health!! Be well!

I haven't been on the list for a while. Though looking at rings is far too much of a pastime at this point. Think I've figured out what I'd like-- but given the nonexistent timeline, I'm quite open to my tastes changing. Today makes it exactly two and a half years with SO. We're tremendously happy. We got a kitten together :love: who we love more than we ever thought possible! He's a super sweetheart (the kitten, though SO is too, picture attached). His best friend's wedding is in exactly a week, he hasn't gotten his tux yet... he's the best man... no comment there. :rolleyes: I can't believe how quickly this time has gone by. Hope the wedding goes well though!

Anyway, great to see the nice updates from some ladies! I know some of you have been waiting relentlessly long, but it'll be your turn soon! :appl: ~*~*~*~*DUST~*~~*~*~*

Aleister.JPG

CaprineSun

Brilliant_Rock
((Hugs)) to you Kribbie! And congrats on embarking on a journey to do what you really want. Life is too short to be in an unfulfilling job.
-----------------------------------------------

I wish I could provide an update, but alas, I cannot. I'm working on finding a stone at a decent price, watching diamond prices (espec w/ the economic news). SO wants to me stop fretting & leave it up to him, but he's not actively looking and knows much much less about diamonds besides the basic 4C's.

But I've resolved myself to realizing an engagement will not happen until next yr 2012. Total bummer since I want a 2013 wedding. We shall see.....

MayFlowers

Brilliant_Rock
kribbie, sending you major prayers and dust for your health and the new job. I'm glad you will be doing something you truly enjoy now!

captainmcgee

Shiny_Rock
kribbie, sending loads of dust for the new job.

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock
Wakingdreams, :love: :love: :love: gorgeous kitty!

Mif, did you look? :cheeky:

Kribbie, i so sorry about your diagnosis, my SO was diagnosed last year with CKD. He's holding steady at the moment (15% function) but will need a transplant at some point. What kind do you have (only if you dont mind me asking of course)? Good on you for making positive changes in your life, isnt it terrible that it takes this kind of thing to make us do that?

Sending lots of dust for your health =)

Blackpaw

Ideal_Rock

Kribbie, i so sorry about your diagnosis, my SO was diagnosed last year with CKD. He's holding steady at the moment (15% function) but will need a transplant at some point. What kind do you have (only if you dont mind me asking of course)? Good on you for making positive changes in your life, isnt it terrible that it takes this kind of thing to make us do that?

captainmcgee

Shiny_Rock
Blackpaw|1310954312|2971092 said:

It is still there blackpaw, I will check the day we leave for our trip which is next weekend. I am almost setting myself up for disappointment unfortunately as I know he won't do it!

To kribbie, also I just want to say congratulations for making such a change. You show such strength and courage. Congrats once again and good luck. Sending all my prays and dust for your health and job.

Nomsdeplume

Brilliant_Rock
Blackpaw|1310954296|2971091 said:

Thanks so much for the kind words and dust, ladies.

@Blackpaw: I'm so sorry to hear about your SO. 15% is pretty close to transplant stage. Is he on dialysis? It's a horrible disease. Mine is at stage 2, so I don't have to think about dialysis yet. However, they cannot pinpoint the cause. I have struggled with bilateral kidney stones for about 10 years, and pass at least 1 or 2 a month. Unfortunately none of the specialists I have visited during those 10 years have been able to figure out why I get these stones, so they haven't been able to prevent them. As a result, the disease progresses.

gem_anemone

Brilliant_Rock
@wakingdreams53 I love your kitty. HOW SWEET!! :love: :love:

My Update: I had been discussing on here about not wanting to wait until (most likely) November for my proposal which is what it was looking like.... but this weekend BF mentioned to me that he hasn't done it yet because "we've just been busy every weekend" basically admitting that our schedule is so packed that he hasn't had an opening to plan any weekend activities for our proposal. He also made it clear that he wants me to "forget about it so I can be surprised". I was thinking "forget about it? good luck with that one!" lol :lol:

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results