shape
carat
color
clarity

Time for another custom piece

Hikari

Rough_Rock
Hey guys and gals. I am starting on a journey to create a ring I’ve only seen once and have no way of getting it again.
So of course, I turn to PS. If there is any group of people to get me started it’s you guys.
I first need to find someone to make it. I have used Scott, but I don’t believe he does commissions anymore. Who is PS approved??
It’s going to be either white gold or palladium unless someone has better suggestions. Many small rbs, some pave, halo, and a center princess ~.85-1.5 c depending on what speaks to me.
In person isn’t necessary.
My time frame is as long as it takes to get it right.:geek:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Show us photos of some pieces like what you're looking for, or show us pieces containing the elements that you're looking for (highlight them), and we'll make our recommendations based on your asks.

Different vendors specialize in different areas and aesthetics... and command different pricepoints. What's your budget?

tyty333

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Who is Scott?

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
We need a lot more info to be helpful. Can you tell us more about the piece? And your budget?

Hikari

Rough_Rock
Scott Schreiber
I don’t have pictures. All I can do is draw it. My drawing skills are terrible, but I’m hoping you get the gist.
I don’t want to say there is no budget. I would prefer to stay under $6k, but will go over
I can’t put a price on what it’s worth to me, but figure $6k should be reasonable.
I know most of you will gasp at this, but “eye clean” and “whiteish” is good enough for me. Considering the center stone will be relatively small I’m not concerned with inclusions as long as it’s cut well.
I need a jeweler to work with me to figure out actual dimensions and let me know what exactly I need to get as far as diamonds to go in it 427B04DF-DABB-4231-AF91-61F630DF0BE3.jpeg

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
6k for the whole ring, including centerstone, or setting alone?

Hikari

Rough_Rock
6k for the whole ring, including centerstone, or setting alone?

Whole ring. I am basing this off of a preliminary search for a center stone. I’ve seen several that I’m very happy with for less than half. (Blue Nile) I haven’t really looked anywhere else as I am not even at that step yet. I am assuming the largest diamond would be a majority of the price, no? Is over half of the entire budget for setting and tiny diamonds not enough?

arkieb1

Ideal_Rock
Premium
That setting alone is going to be around $1800 to $2500 depending upon who you use. Maybe less if you go with an Chinese bench off Ebay....

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
I think you can assume 3k minimum for the setting if you're going with someone like David Klass Jewelry in LA. They'll do a very nice job, while keeping the price down.

So that only leaves you 3k for your budget. You'll get to a ct if you're not too picky, and I quite like the look of *this* diamond:

It's not ideal, but it's a nice diamond and ticks all your boxes. $3054 after wire discount.

So - I think it can be done and would be exactly what you're looking for, for the bidget you stated.

Good luck!

Hikari

Rough_Rock
Although I appreciate the help so far, I just want suggestions on a metal smith. I can deal with my budget. Like I said it was based on 15 minutes on blue nile.
I was asked for more info so I could be pointed in the right direction, however all I’ve gotten is people talking about cost. Setting price vs diamond price. Why?
Diamond prices are available for anyone who wants to look and the true price of the setting will be decided by who makes it. So, does anyone have a suggestion on a metal smith?

bludiva

Ideal_Rock
Premium
i think people ask about budget because the costs can vary so much but if you read the threads the metalsmiths/custom jewelers commonly talked about here include:

david klass
maytal hannah
victor canera
steve kirsch
leon mege
caysie van buren (sp?)
erika winters

i don't think there is a "recommended" list per se but those are some leads for U.S. you could look into anyway, there are others in other countries, i can't remember them all now. they all seem to have their personalities / style / fans / detractors / etc.

lovedogs

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Although I appreciate the help so far, I just want suggestions on a metal smith. I can deal with my budget. Like I said it was based on 15 minutes on blue nile.
I was asked for more info so I could be pointed in the right direction, however all I’ve gotten is people talking about cost. Setting price vs diamond price. Why?
Diamond prices are available for anyone who wants to look and the true price of the setting will be decided by who makes it. So, does anyone have a suggestion on a metal smith?

Budget is the only way to know who to recommend. If the metal is platinum and hand forged, it will be extremely expensive. If it is 14K white gold and made by someone who is known for competitive pricing, it will be less expensive (but likely will require more work on your part to tell the person exactly what you want).

Hikari

Rough_Rock
Gah!!! Thanks for the info! I ended up speaking with a few local custom jewelers and ended up changing nearly everything! However, now I need help regarding a band... will post in another thread. Thanks again! =)2

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Because you could spend 10k on the mount alone or 2k, depending on how particular you are and how much you want to spend. If you want unyielding perfection, we will recommend vendors in the 10k range.

Last edited:

yssie

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
Just saw the update but can’t delete above post.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium

Actually - no. The first thing I said in my post was a suggestion for David Klass Jewelry in LA. And that's my best suggestion.

mrs-b

Super_Ideal_Rock
Premium
By the way - if someone is looking for a beautiful stone, they should take a look at the one I recommended. It's on sale for roughly $500 off. It's a killer deal.

Be a part of the community Get 3 HCA Results